• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 3D |OT| Come on, who's the king?

Sanic

S1njO.jpg

Release dates
  • EU: 3/25/11
  • US: 3/22/11

Platform: Nintendo 3DS

2w2Lu.jpg

Rayman 3D takes place in a world called The Glade of Dreams. An army of Robot Pirates, led by Admiral Razorbeard, invades this world and destroys the Heart of the World, the world core. This greatly weakens the resistance's power and disables Rayman's powers, leading to his capture. With the help of his friend Globox, Rayman escapes and starts on his journey to dispose the pirate menace.

Rayman 3D is a 3rd person 3D platformer featuring 21 gorgeous levels. The 3DS incarnation is a port of the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2, itself an enhanced port of the Nintendo 64 version. However, Ubisoft has stated that the 3DS version will feature "major updates on key game play elements such as accessibility, progression and learning curve."

XHkkn.jpg

9Sdk4.jpg

5TyZL.jpg

NwOQp.jpg

Additional screenshots:

3/24 - Probably the first real shot of the game.
3/21 - 5 new screens, courtesy of Nintendo Everything.

LjMEm.jpg

CLbdL.jpg

jqkM7.jpg

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
Oooooooooooooooo Keeping my eye out (and my hands and feet) for this.

Nice OT. The first image is as blurry as the original ;)

Editz: You changed it :p

[Nintex]

I've seen prices up to 44,99 in Europe, Rayman 2 is a great game but it's also quite old and they should've released it on 3DSWare on something or they should've went for a full remake instead of a port.

I never played Rayman 2 on N64,PS1,DS,GBC-lol,DC,PS2 so i am hyped to play this day 1 B^)

hopefully ubisoft didn't fuck this up too bad.

V_Ben

Banned
When I get a 3DS down the road, I will pick this game up for a tenner with it. The Precepice is still the best platforming level ever made. Absolutely wonderful.

Smokey

Wait...is this a port of Rayman 2 or whatever from the Dreamcast?

Is this correct?! Somebody tell me I am correct?

If so...:O

besiktas1

I'm hoping UK prices carry on with 3ds games as well, where all games drop to £18 after a month. Out of the launch games (I'm already getting Pro and PW) I'll probably pick this up.

Also I remember hearing somewhere, Rayman 2 was extremely difficult. I don't want to buy a game not to finish it. Is this game hard?

davonaytor said:
Wait a sec, wait a sec. Please tell me they aren't making it 4:3 with borders.

Read the op, watch the gameplay video. There is no borders...

Sanic

Smokey said:
Wait...is this a port of Rayman 2 or whatever from the Dreamcast?

Is this correct?! Somebody tell me I am correct?

If so...:O

It is, clarified that a bit in the OP.

Probably beats SM64 and Banjo Kazooie as my favorite platformer from the N64/PS1 era, but if I buy this it's going to be something like the 4th version I own.

Graphically it looks identical, but has Ubisoft said if they're adding anything to this port besides 3D effects?

Luigi87

The US release is technically tomorrow, so when they're under embargo, is that for the game's launch, or the system's launch on the 27th?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
davonaytor said:
Wait a sec, wait a sec. Please tell me they aren't making it 4:3 with borders.
Just did a quick google search, and I don't see any 16:9 screens. All we have are the same 3 released images to go on, which in all likelihood are screengrabs from the PC or Dreamcast version. Looks like Ubisoft's PR team were being lazy.

Edit: Watch the video. It's all good =)

Sanic

Luigi87 said:
The US release is technically tomorrow, so when they're under embargo, is that for the game's launch, or the system's launch on the 27th?

I'm honestly not sure, but it seems like the system's launch. i'll be keeping an eye out, regardless.

Luigi87

Suairyu said:
I remember this game being a first generation DS release, too.

And in six and a half years from now, when Nintendo launches the successor to the 3DS, whatever that may be, Rayman 2 will be there too!

AniHawk

hoping against hope that this isn't some lazy choppy mess, but considering it's literally the ninth release of the game, i'm expecting it to suck.

Empty

hmm how to balance my desire to own a good version of one of my favourite games on handheld with not wanting to give ubisoft money for their shit. not buying it at full price anyway so will probably just wait for it to hit the bargain bin.

You think they could have dropped 5 million or so on a new Rayman handheld platformer for the launch of a major platform but no, here's Rayman 2 again. I love the game, but it's embarrassing that it was a DS launch title and a 3DS launch title.

GitarooMan said:
You think they could have dropped 5 million or so on a new Rayman handheld platformer for the launch of a major platform but no, here's Rayman 2 again. I love the game, but it's embarrassing that it was a DS launch title and a 3DS launch title.

Five million? You have to be joking. Why waste ressources like that.

AniHawk

GitarooMan said:

i think if they weren't putting michel ancel through medieval torture every other day, rayman origins could have been a launch title.

Empty

EvilMario said:
Maybe if the title sells well enough, we'll see another new (real) Rayman on the 3DS. However doubtful..

if rayman origins ever re-emerges i imagine it'll get a 3ds port.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Ok. This is getting silly.

I like Rayman as much as the next guy (I own it for the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64), however I'm not understanding why they're releasing this game as a launch title for what is supposed to be a next generation handheld gaming device.

Rayman 2 is over 10 years old. It's been released on the PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gameboy Color (lol), and iPhone.

Why is this a launch title? I don't get how folks get excited for a game that, at most, will be slightly enhanced to show some 3D effects. Its not a remake.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
EvilMario said:
Maybe if the title sells well enough, we'll see another new (real) Rayman on the 3DS. However doubtful..
I'm fairly sure this already sold 5 million, just like the original sold 4.5 million before all the ports started hitting. How much does it need to sell?

mr jones said:

I like Rayman as much as the next guy (I own it for the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64), however I'm not understanding why they're releasing this game as a launch title for what is supposed to be a next generation handheld gaming device.

Rayman 2 is over 10 years old. It's been released on the PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gameboy Color (lol), and iPhone.

Why is this a launch title? I don't get how folks get excited for a game that, at most, will be slightly enhanced to show some 3D effects. Its not a remake.
A good game is a good game. Compared to the rest of the launch games, this isn't a bad choice if you've never played it before. Though that relies on it being a good port of course.

If this actually turns out to be a competent port (and I'll wait for in-depth impressions and reviews before judging that), I'll probably buy it; I've always heard great things about this one but have yet to play it. Not at $40, though.

Ramenman

This is the game I'm picking up at launch because it's RAYMAN 2.

So cool.

And I've been meaning to replay it for a while too, and 3D is as good a visual upgrade as any.

My only beef, but only from an asshole-purist point of view is : the hub between levels in the Dreamcast version was some kind of Crash Bandicoot ripoff and not the awesome superior hub that was in the PC/PSX versions.

Still,

RAYMAN 2 !! D:

FoneBone

This looks like it might actually be a decent port, and yet that launch trailer - released by Nintendo, not Ubi - is the best media we have. Freaking Ubisoft.

mr jones said:

Because people will buy it no matter what, and Ubisoft didn't want to dedicate the ressources to an original production, when the Rayman brand is unproven at this point, since the Rabbids name has taken over and Origins has disappeared from the face of the planet.

There's simply no reason to gamble a large amount of money on an original production, when they are secured sales by being a launch title, and doing a port of R2, they can do some somewhat safe market research in terms of if people still care about that brand.

AniHawk

Father_Brain said:
If this actually turns out to be a competent port (and I'll wait for in-depth impressions and reviews before judging that), I'll probably buy it; I've always heard great things about this one but have yet to play it. Not at $40, though.

if it's not some buggy choppy mess, it's totally worth $40 if you haven't played it.

it is kinda funny that ubisoft has zero faith in rayman 3 though.

FoneBone

Also there is absolutely no way they could have gotten a good original Rayman game in time for launch window.

(And if you're looking at Rabbids, I strongly suspect that that's a DS up-port.)

WillyFive

You'd think this would be about Rabbids 3DS rather than the port of a 12 year old game.

But then again, for some reason people are more excited about Ocarina of Time over Kid Icarus, so I guess you just can't beat the N64 generation.

AniHawk said:
if it's not some buggy choppy mess, it's totally worth $40 if you haven't played it.

it is kinda funny that ubisoft has zero faith in rayman 3 though.

Eh, on general principle alone, I'm not willing to pay more than $30 for a straight port of a decade-old game. Enough posts like yours might wear down my resolve, though.

FoneBone

It's a little too early for a Rabbids OT. Doesn't come out until a week after launch in Europe, and two weeks after in the US.

Nemesis_

This is coming free with my 3DS console. So I look forward to playing it.

The best thing about ports of games I've never played is that, well, I've never played them! =P

FoneBone

Father_Brain said:
Eh, on general principle alone, I'm not willing to pay more than $30 for a straight port of a decade-old game. Enough posts like yours might wear down my resolve, though.
Yeah. I might be willing to pay $40 for Crush, but that's only four years old and hasn't been ported out the wazoo.

Top Bottom