• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Connecting DS3 to PSP Go

larvi

I recently bought a PSP Go and a Dualshock 3 controller so I can play my psp games on my TV screen similar to what I do with the Gameboy Player. How do I connect the DS3 to the Go? The manual mentions I can do it but doesn't go into detail.

Turn on Bluetooth option, search for a device, choose Dualshock 3 option and follow the instructions. That's what I did and it works.

fernoca

Yep, you need to it through the PS3. And you also need to do it every time you decide to use the controller on the PS3 again.

EDIT:
Yep, what Uncle Dukey posted:

Instructions

Things you'll need:
  • PSPGo w/USB cable
  • PlayStation 3 console
  • Extra Dualshock 3 controller w/mini USB cable

1. Turn on both the PSPGo and the PlayStation 3.

2. Select "Bluetooth Device Settings" from the "Settings" menu on the PSPGo.

3. Turn on Bluetooth connection, if it is not already activated.

4. Select "Manage Bluetooth Device." When asked by the PSPGo if you want to register a device, select "yes."

5. Select "Register a PS3 System Controller." Select "OK" when the device lists the required components.

6. Connect the PSPGo to the PlayStation 3 console.

7. Connect the Dualshock 3 controller to the PS3 with the mini USB cable.

8. Wait while the console connects the controller to the PSPGo. When the console has completed the process, disconnect the controller and PSPGo from the PlayStation 3 console.

9. Press the PS button on the Dualshock 3. The controller will then be connected to the PSPGo, and can be used to navigate the system menu and play games.​

larvi

Sigh...I don't have a PS3. Pretty important detail to leave out of the manual that you need a $300 accessory to make it work. Are there any homebrew solutions to do it?

Fantasy Final said:
Turn on Bluetooth option, search for a device, choose Dualshock 3 option and follow the instructions. That's what I did and it works.

Did you do this without a PS3?

btkadams

wait, so you can play ALL games with the ds3? i thought only a few games supported it. i may have to look into this more...

btkadams said:
wait, so you can play ALL games with the ds3? i thought only a few games supported it. i may have to look into this more...
PSPGo can pretty much be a console if you have the right accessories...which is awesome.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I just came across this:

http://www.ctadigital.com/item.asp?item=2581

GITh5.jpg

Almost makes me want to replace my 3000 with a Go. Almost.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z9EM1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edit2: yikes, that amazon rating's pretty bad. I guess the cradle would be a better idea.

fernoca

Fantasy Final said:
PSPGo can pretty much be a console if you have the right accessories...which is awesome.
Yep!
PSP Go
PSP Go Cradle
PSP Component Cables
PSP Power Cable
Dual Shock controller

You can do everything with the controller.
Menu/Movies are full screen, games are letterboxed. But still nice. Loved playing Tekken 6 and Assassins' Creed. Game's can't use the second analog stick, for obvious reasons.

Ellis Kim

Banned
larvi said:
So definitely no way to do this without a PS3 though?
Don't you have a friend who has a PS3 that you could do this with?

Or hell, maybe even try going to a game store with a PS3 demo unit, and ask the employees if you could try it there, though that's assuming that they disable demo mode and know the serial for that.

fernoca

Ellis Kim said:
Don't you have a friend who has a PS3 that you could do this with?

Or hell, maybe even try going to a game store with a PS3 demo unit, and ask the employees if you could try it there.
That too.
At least when it's synced, that's it. No need to do it more, unless you plan to use the controller on another PS3, then you need to sync them again.

EDIT
Interesting...
Check below! :p

VVVV

larvi

GAF comes through again! Thanks, all. I was googling everything I could think of but hadn't found that yet. I'll give it a shot later this evening and see if I can get it up and running. I'm still waiting for the cradle to show up from DealExtreme before I can try the TV out piece.

Ellis Kim

Banned
larvi said:
GAF comes through again! Thanks, all. I was googling everything I could think of but hadn't found that yet. I'll give it a shot later this evening and see if I can get it up and running. I'm still waiting for the cradle to show up from DealExtreme before I can try the TV out piece.
Unless your TV has a great scaling system, be prepared to be disappointed by a contorted aspect ratio.

larvi

I NEED SCISSORS said:
And for people who don't have a PS3, use MotioninJoy (the same program that lets you use a DS3 in PC games).

http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/help/pspgo-ds3-pair

This worked like a charm for me. At first I wasn't sure it would work since I don't have a bluetooth controller in my desktop but it doesn't need one to do the pairing. Thanks very much for the link.

And in other good news, I just got an email from PSN saying I qualified for the 3 free game offer for my PSP Go. Since it was a refurb I didn't think it would but I guess it had never been connected to PSN previously.

plc268

The only thing missing is the ability to remap the DS3. I would love if i could remap the PSP analog to the right analog stick on the DS3. It would make MGS:pO a lot less frustrating.

fernoca

Good to know.
Wal-Mart has PSP Go accessories and stuff in clearance. Cradles for under $15, screen protectors for $5, cables for like $7. Though you already ordered the cradle.

larvi

fernoca said:
Good to know.
Wal-Mart has PSP Go accessories and stuff in clearance. Cradles for under $15, screen protectors for $5, cables for like $7. Though you already ordered the cradle.

Thanks, yes, this is the cradle I ordered:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-charging-movie-stand-cradle-with-av-out-for-psp-go-36297

It has the video out connectors for both component and composite so I should be good there. Know anywhere that sells cheap memory stick M2's or a M2 Adapter that will take a Micro SDHC card similar to the photofast memory stick pro duo adapter?

fernoca

larvi said:
Thanks, yes, this is the cradle I ordered:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-charging-movie-stand-cradle-with-av-out-for-psp-go-36297

It has the video out connectors for both component and composite so I should be good there. Know anywhere that sells cheap memory stick M2's or a M2 Adapter that will take a Micro SDHC card similar to the photofast memory stick pro duo adapter?
Nice deal and comes with everything. Posts when you receive to see if it works right, so I can order one too. :p

M2 adapters, well depends. I've seen a a few for under $10 on eBay and Amazon, and a few for $30 bundled with 16GB cards, guess it depends on the seller and the most you want to pay for one.

Apath

I got a clear plastic case, screen protector, and cradle for my Go on Amazon for under $20 shipped. I also bought the video out HD cables on ebay for ~$6.

I bought a 16gb M2 card for ~$25, but I was unable to find a sort of x2 Micro SD M2 converter. I really wanted 48gb of space =\

larvi

Well, my cradle showed up today and got a chance to hook it up and I like it so far. The cradle has both compsite and component out and I tried both and found the composite to be quite a bit worse, at least on my TV. Does anyone know if there is a way to remotely power on the Go with the DS3 and if there is a way to have it start up in the TV Out mode rather than having to select it every time I power it on? It would also be nice if there was a way to leave the slider part of the Go closed while you are using the TV out mode.

I did a quick comparison of Yggdra Union running on the GC Gameboy player vs the PSP version on the GO in TV out mode:

GB Player:
DSC_0362e.JPG

PSP Go:
DSC_0363e.JPG

jsnepo

I just figured how to do this but is there a way for the right analog stick be utilized emulating some buttons?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Does anyone know if there is a way to remotely power on the Go with the DS3 and if there is a way to have it start up in the TV Out mode rather than having to select it every time I power it on? It would also be nice if there was a way to leave the slider part of the Go closed while you are using the TV out mode.

Sadly no. Now you're really asking for too much.

Takao

Banned
I just figured how to do this but is there a way for the right analog stick be utilized emulating some buttons?

Not on Sony firmware, but you may be able to do as such with CFW. I wouldn't know about the latter though.

With GOs being as cheap as they are these days... man, that's a hell of a way to do it. There's quite a few PSP games I wouldn't mind playing full screen.

MarkusRJR

As soon as I get a Wii U to play Wii games, I'll be putting my PSP Go in my component input. Is there any way to get a cradle nowadays? I never see accessories for PSP Go anywhere.

Oh, and weren't there some dual stick supported games (with DS3)? I vaguely remember Resistance Retribution being mentioned along with the dual shock.

Top Bottom