• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek Joining Giant Bomb as News Editor

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-latest-news-about-the-latest-news/3046/

Jeff said:
I'm pleased to announce that as of Monday, seasoned newsman and all-around good guy Patrick Klepek will be joining the Giant Bomb team as News Editor. We've all thought long and hard about how best to expand our focus and provide higher-quality content for you, and adding Patrick to the team will bring exactly that. In addition to bringing his expertise to our current news output, one of the things Patrick will be focusing on is honest-to-goodness original reporting, ensuring that there are even more things on Giant Bomb that you can't find anywhere else.

Firestorm

Was he still at G4 before this? Although all around a general good news editor, I think the Call of Duty thing cemented him as someone to be relied on! May need to add GiantBomb to my daily visits if there's more like that.

G-Pink

Awesome! There isn't much better you can do in terms of investigative journalism in gaming than Patrick.

I look forward to some awesome traffic driving SCOOPS.

EDIT: As far as Jeff's questions about coverage of news heading forward on Giant Bomb, the one thing I WOULDN'T like to see is a blitzkrieg of news bombarding the front page and pushing things like videos off into the nether. The rate at which Giant Bomb updates at the moment is probably a little slow, but I enjoy it around that pace, because I don't have time to visit every 4 hours or so. Perhaps a Page 2 kind of story every day or so with wrap-ups of the pertinent news from that particular day in gaming?

entremet

newjeruse said:
Congrats.

Please keep the Bombcast as is, though.
Can't get into that podcast, even though I tried many times. Might give it another shot if Patrick is part the crew.

Qwomo

Holy shit fuck yeah.

Patrick Klepek is probably one of my favorite gaming personalities, and Giant Bomb is good fun. Excellent combo. Wonder what amount of involvement he'll have.

Xater

Awesome! Patrick is a great new guy and that ias exactly what Giant Bomb needed. The news on their site have been pretty horrid or not up to date.

Congratulations Patrick!
Will you also join the crew at the GB offices and be part of the podcast?
Please say yes.

kaskade

Definitely something I felt Giant Bomb was missing. I rarely find myself reading GB articles. I go for the reviews and video content.

DMczaf

Dude is the Grim Reaper of Video Game sites

If something happens with Giant Bomb in a year, there will be hell to pay.

Massa

Awesome addition to GiantBomb.

The important question though: will he also be permanently joining the Bombcast?

Xater said:
Awesome! Patrick is a great new guy and that ias exactly what Giant Bomb needed. The news on their site have been pretty horrid or not up to date.

Congratulations Patrick!
Please say yes.

The article says he's working directly out of the Whiskey Media offices, so I'd imagine him jumping on some of the Bombcast every now and then.

Xater said:

Congratulations Patrick!
Please say yes.
Link to post in OP says he will be working at the GB office

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so is that smary Brad-Notshoemaker still working there?

Ravidrath

DMczaf said:

Haha...

Really, it's more that dying sites bring him on to try and improve things. But he is only one man and should not be expected to singlehandedly save them!

JWong said:
Wait, so what happen to his old gig?

They let him go?

No, he left for this.

Nizz

DidntKnowJack said:
Patrick is a really good news guy. Smart addition to the team.
Yep, I thought he did a good job when the whole COD thing went down. Good pick up for Giant Bomb.

Awesome. Giant Bomb never had the "scoop" first, or second. Hopefully this will make their news relevant.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
DMczaf said:

I actually had someone tell me that during an interview recently. I laughed. Then felt sad.

In actuality, I've been blessed with enormous opportunities in the years I've been writing and reporting about videogames. I've bounced around because of those opportunities. Work with Adam Sessler? Reboot EGM? How could any person say no to those things?

I'm at a place in my life, though, where I've moved around enough; switched jobs four times in the last four years. I'm sick and tired of it. When I was looking for a place in the Bay Area, I was looking for somewhere to stay for a good, long time.

Giant Bomb is that place.

I've been offered every other job in my career out of nowhere. Giant Bomb is the first one I went after. Hard.

I can't wait to get started.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Massa said:
Awesome addition to GiantBomb.

The important question though: will he also be permanently joining the Bombcast?

Don't worry about the Bombcast. We'll see what works and go from there.

gray_fox224

Patrick Klepek said:
I actually had someone tell me that during an interview recently. I laughed. Then felt sad.

In actuality, I've been blessed with enormous opportunities in the years I've been writing and reporting about videogames. I've bounced around because of those opportunities. Work with Adam Sessler? Reboot EGM? How could any person say no to those things?

I'm at a place in my life, though, where I've moved around enough; switched jobs four times in the last four years. I'm sick and tired of it. When I was looking for a place in the Bay Area, I was looking for somewhere to stay for a good, long time.

Giant Bomb is that place.

I've been offered every other job in my career out of nowhere. Giant Bomb is the first one I went after. Hard.

I can't wait to get started.
Congrats and best of luck PK.

Patrick, you gotta be really happy, if not just to be working somewhere like GiantBomb. It's the kind of place where it looks so fun to work, you look forward to going in every morning. At least that's how I would feel.

Not to say it won't be a lot of hard work as well, but God damn. Seems like the perfect move for you. You've got to be psyched.

Calcaneus

Really cool, GB needs a solid news section.

As for the suggestions as to how to present the news, daily videos is way too frequent. Not enough interesting things happen in one day to warrant it, either you start scraping the bottom of the barrel or you make 2 minute videos every day. Which seems like a waste.

Weekly would be just right.

Top Bottom