• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animated Gifs as Artwork ( going beyond 4chan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newspaper-man-615.gif

barber-pole-615.gif

oh-joy-615.gif

cab-window-615.gif

You know how people sometimes say that jazz is the only truly American art form? Animated GIFs are like the jazz of the internet: they could only exist, and be created and appreciated, online. That said, PopTart Cat is not exactly on par with Thelonious Monk. But photographer Jamie Beck and motion graphics artist Kevin Burg may have finally found a way to elevate the animated GIF to a level approaching fine art, with their "cinemagraphs" -- elegant, subtly animated creations that are "something more than a photo but less than a video.:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663683/far-better-than-3-d-animated-gifs-that-savor-a-passing-moment

zoukka

I like this. I've been fascinated by internet meme gif's from day 1 and they indeed have a lot of potential for expression.

Only one I get is the first one. The rest look like they could be normal gifs. The first shows a frozen moment with one subject left untouched.

Tr4nce

Yeah, lately I see more and more of them. I approve of them. I think they are awesome. Can't get my head around what's the essential difference with other GIF's though.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
WOW, now those are some nice GIF, can someone please tell me how to do them please.
Im just going to guess since I havent done it yet but I would say take a series of shots very quickly then stitch them together in photshop but only changing the moving parts that you want

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
All pretty cool and fun. I think the cab one would be more effective if there was longer time between cycles.

Zebra

This is a beautiful middle-ground between still photography and motion photography.

It's how I imagined the pictures on newspapers in Harry Potter behaved when I first read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom