• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sucker Punch Working On New IP

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure how reliable this is, but they did take the article down (purported at Sony's request), so I thought that gave it a bit of credence.

VG247 said:
Sucker Punch working on unannounced new title

Sucker Punch is apparently already beavering away on a new IP, destined for PlayStation 3 exclusivity.

At an event in Madrid last night, a Sucker Punch spokesperson reportedly told PSNow! (cached, auto-translated) the studio has a new Sony-exclusive game in the works, which is neither inFamous nor Sly Cooper related.

Said to be a brand new IP, the game will not be seen at E3.

PSNow! has since redacted the article, reportedly at Sony’s request.

Sucker Punch is currently holding a closed beta for InFamous 2 ahead of the game’s June launch, and has not yet announced a follow-up project.

Thanks, Salvador Morales.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/27/sucker-punch-working-on-unannounced-new-title/

Link to cached page: http://translate.google.com/transla...r+en&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com

Link to current page: http://translate.googleusercontent....&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhj5UFHHU5qTGktIHTs1mrJ2qEdJYA

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
So if they aren't making Sly then what was with that Sly teaser in the HD Collection?
Presumably someone else is making it.

That, or they're making multiple games at once.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
zGKix.jpg

Tizoc

SolidSnakex said:
So if they aren't making Sly then what was with that Sly teaser in the HD Collection?
If anything it's prob. still in early stages of development. I expect it to be released next year at least.

Pistolero

I say bring it on! Seriously, this studio has a rare gift : Creating very fun and addictive experiences. The Sly franchise was great and Infamous such an enjoyable title...

Seda

Pistolero said:
I say bring it on! Seriously, this studio has a rare gift : Creating very fun and addictive experiences. The Sly franchise was great and Infamous such an enjoyable title...

I can't tell how serious you are, but I think their (albeit limited) track record is pretty good. Let's see what comes of this.

Luthos

I'm all for awesome developers working on new IPs.

Too bad they won't mention it at E3, if only just a title or something.

Pistolero

Seda said:
I can't tell how serious you are, but I think their (albeit limited) track record is pretty good. Let's see what comes of this.

Huh...Dead serious. Why the skepticism, if I may ask?

Seda

Pistolero said:
Huh...Dead serious. Why the skepticism, if I may ask?

The elipsis at the of end made it seem like the Infamous statement might have been sarcasm. I wasn't sure.

No45

SolidSnakex said:
Perhaps they're at that point in the development of Sly 4 where they will start to look towards their next project?

HYDE

Banned
Nirolak said:
Presumably someone else is making it.

That, or they're making multiple games at once.

Or it got scrapped. I'm thinking Sony need them to make a game that entices more folks, and is a little more grand in scale. (though I love sly cooper)The don't have Insomniac on board as big as before, so they need more new IP in my opinion.

@empty: that's how no new Jak and Daxter makes me feel along with no new Sly Cooper.
it's not fair that only Ratchet and Clank made the jump.

SykoTech

They could still be making Sly 4. Seeing as how that game has already been teased during inFamous 2's development, I assumed Sucker Punch is big enough to work on 2 games at the same time. inFamous 2 is pretty much done at this point, so they are probably just getting started on this new IP. They already confirmed that it won't be showing up at E3, so the new IP is most likely a long ways off. After Sly 4 perhaps.

And Naughty Dog better be making Jak 4 after Uncharted 3. Save "Unkarted" for United Front Games or something.

KAL2006

Banned
Sony have quite a few unannounced games

Starhawk
Sly 4
God of War 4
Guerrilla Games have a new IP
Developers of Heavy Rain have a new IP
now Sucker Punch have a new IP

E3 should be interesting for them

V_Ben

Banned
KAL2006 said:

Starhawk
Sly 4
God of War 4

They'll save Guerilla and Quantic Dream for Gamescom. EU Devs and all that. ;)

Pistolero

Sony has been forced into revamping its first party production this gen, due to old supporters, even Japanses ones, embracing the ennemy. At least a very good thing came out of a series of blunders...

It'll be interesting to see how Sly 4 turns out if it's done by another studio.

Sucker Punch knocked it out of the park with inFamous so I look forward to seeing what this IP is!

French

Banned
V_Ben said:
They'll save Guerilla and Quantic Dream for Gamescom. EU Devs and all that. ;)

My guess :

Starhawk : Before E3.
God of War IV : E3 conference.

Sucker Punch new IP : Next year.
Guerrilla new IP : Next year.
The two projects of Quantic Dream : At least one at Gamescom.

V_Ben

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
It'll be interesting to see how Sly 4 turns out if it's done by another studio.

Sucker Punch knocked it out of the park with inFamous so I look forward to seeing what this IP is!

High Impact Games would have been a likely one, but they're busy with that cartoon game. PHEW.

V_Ben said:
High Impact Games would have been a likely one, but they're busy with that cartoon game. PHEW.
I'm only at the end of Sly 2 in the trilogy, but it's already losing my attention. I think new blood on the Sly series would be a good thing (keep in mind I haven't played 3 yet, but I hear it's worse than 2)

However, since SP did such a good job with inFamous, I'd still have faith in them to make Sly 4 awesome.

Basically I want my cake and to eat it as well :)

V_Ben

Banned
French said:
My guess :

Guerilla new IP : Next year.

Sound pretty much right to me. Dylan Jobe has been awfully teasing at the moment, so a May event seems likely for that. Sony Santa Monica's new game will be at E3, that's likely the conference closing reveal, like God of War 3 was. I do think that Guerilla's new game will be teased at gamescom though, if only in a CG trailer.

KAL2006 said:

Starhawk
Sly 4
God of War 4

Nah Sony is finished, they'll officially hand in their resignation from the Videogame business alltogether during E3, so no NGP, no Starhawk, no nothing. This generation ends with Sony...

KAL2006

Banned
Pistolero said:
Sony has been forced into revamping its first party production this gen, due to old supporters, even Japanses ones, embracing the ennemy. At least a very good thing came out of a series of blunders...

Yep now you can't really rely on 3rd party exclusives so they a better off trying to build great 1st party studios and many IPs like Nintendo has.

There have been too many betrayletons this gen with Mass Effect, Bioshock, FFXIII, MGS, DMC and etc.

V_Ben

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
Hopefully an NGP title. New IPs from Sony's top developers would show a little respect for the platform from Sony

Well, BigBig is making a new IP for the platform ;)

SykoTech

No High Impact please. Their Ratchet & Clank PSP games were mediocre, apparently so was their Jak & Daxter one. And for goodness sake, no Nihilstic.

Not sure who I would trust with Sly. Most of the better candidates are already busy working on other games. Maybe Media Molecule? Don't know what they're up to aside from some additional LBP2 content.

KAL2006

Banned
French said:
My guess :

Guerrilla new IP : Next year.

You are probably right, they already need to chat about NGP for E3 as well as more Move games, and more on previously announced games like Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, inFampus 2, Ratchet All 4 One, Last Guardian and Twisted Metal.

V_Ben

Banned
SykoTech said:
No High Impact please. Their Ratchet & Clank PSP games were mediocre, apparently so was their Jak & Daxter one. And for goodness sake, no Nihilstic.

Not sure who I would trust with Sly. Most of the better candidates are already busy working on other games. Maybe Media Molecule? Don't know what they're up to aside from some additional LBP2 content.

They're making the NGP version of LPB. I'd trust Ready At Dawn... but I highly doubt that it's them :p

Chuck Norris said:
They already handheld devs, I mean the Naughty Dogs, Santa Monica or Insomniacs of Sony's stable

You just said Top developers ;)

KAL2006

Banned
SykoTech said:

They are working on a NGP game, no one is sure if it is LittleBigPlanet NGP or something else

It would seem kind of odd to me if Sony farmed out Sly 4 to another developer considering they didn't do it for a PSP entry unlike Jak and Ratchet. And those games weren't numbered sequels.

French

Banned
V_Ben said:
Sound pretty much right to me. Dylan Jobe has been awfully teasing at the moment, so a May event seems likely for that. Sony Santa Monica's new game will be at E3, that's likely the conference closing reveal, like God of War 3 was. I do think that Guerilla's new game will be teased at gamescom though, if only in a CG trailer.

There are two other possibilities for the closing reveal : Kojima's new game, and Agent. I really hope Agent isn't dead ... :/

As for Guerrilla, it's possible if they have a second studio ( which was working on the new IP while the other one was developing KZ 3 ).

V_Ben

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Now that I think about it, Sucker Punch are as independent as Insomniac Games.

Calling it right now: Sucker Punch is working on Batman: Hush for PS360 :p

They aren't big enough to work on this new IP, infamous 2, Sly 4 and a Batman game. That's just crazy, but I'd be interested in seeing what they'd do with the Batman license.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't care for InFamous, so this is good news for me. Unless they've canned Sly 4 and will be making this new game and InFamous 3.

Top Bottom