• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #74 - "Abuse"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Theme - "Abuse"

The story submission deadline is Wednesday, May 18th at 11:59 pm PST. Voting begins Thursday, May 19th, and goes until Sunday, May 22nd at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: "The Absurd"

Word Count: 2,000

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

iavi

That's certain. Both the primary and secondary ask for it, lol.

Btw, real sorry about not getting my votes in last time guys. Things happened. It looks like my top choice ended up getting the cake anyway though. Ronito you were second on the list.

It's gonna take me a second to think one up for this.

ronito

uggg...I fear we might be monochromatic in this one.

I can see lots about drugs, domestic violence, pet abuse.

Obviously, I'm going to strive to make mine light-hearted, since the theme is so dark. I suppose, It's time for a dictionary/thesaurus-rex run.

Edit: Oddly enough, it seems that one of the definitions is "Masturbate." We can go ahead and treat that as Ronito's first tossed idea.

Dresden

Yeah, I was hoping that the secondary would lighten things up somewhat.

I'll be writing about a farmer growing sentient hallucinogenic mushrooms, myself.

e: okay, maybe I'll toss that one out. Maybe something about the abuse of information instead - I do think there's some room for stuff besides the usual grimdark tales.

Xenon

A silly idea popped into my head for this one but it may be a stretch on the theme.

BTW, what is the word count?

iavi

Dresden said:
e: okay, maybe I'll toss that one out. Maybe something about the abuse of information instead - I do think there's some room for stuff besides the usual grimdark tales.

Yeah, it took me a second, but there's actually good few ways to twist that one.

Ashes

Banned
ronito said:
uggg...I fear we might be monochromatic in this one.

I can see lots about drugs, domestic violence, pet abuse.

To be fair, the horror thread wasn't really dark now was it? but I have feeling you might be right...

ronito

Ashes1396 said:
To be fair, the horror thread wasn't really dark now was it? but I have feeling you might be right...
true, it might be possible we all try to do something light hearted. we shall see.

Ashes

Banned
ronito said:
true, it might be possible we all try to do something light hearted. we shall see.

I'm putting my one together as we speak. Props to the secondary objective; I've always found Absurdism fascinating.

AnkitT

I need to think hard about this one. The secondary could prove to be a nice challenge, since I havent really done anything deliberately absurdist yet.

Irish

I'm not going to say I'm going to participate because every time I do that, I end up not participating.

Cyan

Banned
Hrm. So, one of the things I like to do on these challenges is pick one aspect of my writing to specifically focus on and try to improve (e.g. last challenge I worked on story concepts by using ronito's method, before that working on structure, before that rhythm, before that POV). Not sure what I want to work on this time, though--any suggestions? Would be especially helpful if anyone's noticed some recurrent weakness that I could improve on.

ronito

Lately you've fallen into a very familiar/comfortable tone very much within your "voice".

I'd say focus on doing something completely out of character for you.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan said:
Hrm. So, one of the things I like to do on these challenges is pick one aspect of my writing to specifically focus on and try to improve (e.g. last challenge I worked on story concepts by using ronito's method, before that working on structure, before that rhythm, before that POV). Not sure what I want to work on this time, though--any suggestions? Would be especially helpful if anyone's noticed some recurrent weakness that I could improve on.

Write something powerful. You have the ability write some evocative, but you play safe most of the time. Well I say safe, when I guess I mean light-hearted.

Sure, you may get slated, even by me perhaps, but who cares?

edit: of course, you can make something light hearted and powerful.

Ashes

Banned
Talking about abuse!

Just posted this in the summer goals thread:

Ashes1396 said:
Username: Ashes1396
Types of Goals: literary.
Specific Goals: I will read every story in this list :
The 50 Best Short Stories of All Time
Updates: Yes. Perhaps not after every story. Who's with me gaf?
Daily Goals: I don't know yet.
Written Out: Yeah, I guess so.
Deadline: August 31st 2011

Yes. I will read the entire list. Hopefully. :p

It's doable, considering we read a dozen short stories every fortnight. Well, this is reading in a different style, but stil.

Cyan

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Talking about abuse!

Just posted this in the summer goals thread:

It's doable, considering we read a dozen short stories every fortnight. Well, this is reading in a different style, but stil.
Ambitious! A few questions: Why that particular list? How do you plan to get all the stories? And do you have a schedule in mind?

If you have good answers to these, why not make a thread?

P.S. Also consider checking out this month's book club selection, A Visit from the Goon Squad. Excellent writing.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan said:
Ambitious! A few questions: Why that particular list? How do you plan to get all the stories? And do you have a schedule in mind?

P.S. Also consider checking out this month's book club selection, A Visit from the Goon Squad. Excellent writing.

Well, here's the truth in all it's glory.

Why that particular list?

Don't know. ask google.

Well, I was in that goal making thread, and I instantly knew I wanted to read a list of stories, and not just with passive interest , so I wanted to choose a list of either great novels or short stories; anything really, with a scholarly pretext behind it.

The stars aligned to be honest. In fact to answer your second question, I actually clicked on the story links for the first time (lol), which then brought me to a really helpful page, that looked in depth into the stories. I didn't even realize it was an online class of some sort. Obviously, I'm not gonna do the class, but those guides are sure to be helpful.

How do you plan to get all the stories?

A lot of those stories are classic, so they're free on the web. I presume the ones at the bottom of the list are more modern so your second question is actually superhelpful. I'm gonna try and get them on kindle, ibooks, etc but later this week, I'm gonna see which are available where.

I also have the British Library, where I can probably ask for a copy for the day. In fact there are tons of libraries in London, someone somewhere will have a copy.

And do you have a schedule in mind?

I've put the deadline at August 31st. If I start June 1st, that gives June, July, August, 3 months, to read 50 great stories in depth. Four a week would be best, but I want to do maybe ten every fortnight, so that I finish early. Or in the event that I'm really lazy, I can actually get this done, in the remaining two weeks.

I don't. Have good answers I mean. :p And the thought hadn't occurred to me.

Secondly, it's more of a private thing. Strange considering, I posted it on a forum. Well, I haven't thought ahead that far. But if you (or anyone else for that matter) wanted to make a thread, go right ahead. I'll join in.

And I have been to that book club thread. I'll join in sometime...

Edit:

Looks like there is a section on collections. This is gonna be harder then I thought. And costly. Then again, I could probably get all of them, by begging, stealing and borrowing, which could be an adventure in of it self, within the price of two full priced games.

elwes

I have not written creatively since I graduated college 4 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long. I think I'm gonna give this a shot.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Hello, sexy gentlemen! I haven't been writing because I've been jobless for months. Now that I started my new job today I think I wanna write again!

Ashes

Banned
Timedog said:
Hello, sexy gentlemen! I haven't been writing because I've been jobless for months. Now that I started my new job today I think I wanna write again!

Timedog, you magnificent bastard! You're supposed to write when you're down and out, not the other way round. lol!

Welcome back.

Alright I'm gonna try and up my game this time round.

Aaron

Ah, I had an idea that fits both the primary and secondary objectives perfectly.... but that's happened before and I still didn't write. 2011 hasn't been kind to giving me free time, but I want to get back into this.

Ashes

Banned
Aaron said:
Ah, I had an idea that fits both the primary and secondary objectives perfectly.... but that's happened before and I still didn't write. 2011 hasn't been kind to giving me free time, but I want to get back into this.

Ha! it's the 75th thread. Was it Irish who called it? Anyways, welcome back mate.

Ashes

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
-_-

Whoever wins this one, please pick a good theme for next time.

Enter this one mate, and you could choose the next one. Anyways, what with cyan trying to come up with something fantastic, timedog back from the dead, and Aaron's return, it's already shaping up to be a decent thread, even if all the stories turn out to be awful.

ha.gif

ronito said:
"The time I fucked the cat." - By Gumshoe

Hey, now. Donkeys are one thing, sir. Let's not bring innocent cats into this.

iavi

It's looking like we're gonna have an awesome amount of entries this time around. Don't back down, guys.

Anyways, for I, it took a second, but i've finally settled on a complete concept. This should be fun.

ronito

Tim the Wiz said:
Hey, now. Donkeys are one thing, sir. Let's not bring innocent cats into this.
Did you see how that cat was strutting around? Nothing innocent about that. The cat totally wanted it.

I started writing something and got 600 words in before I realised that I was writing backstory and that I hadn't even introduced my character yet.

I have a setting I like and a macguffin... now all I need is a plot :\

_Isaac

Ashes1396 said:
Michelle Obama is so perfect for forums. :p

She really is. I love her.

Anyway, I'm always interested in these things, but I have ZERO ideas. I guess I just prefer reading....not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom