• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Update 10 (E3 updates: E3 Trailer/more screens/artwork):

ARXIN post #1391 said:
Master Thespian post #1509 said:

Update 9 (First Official Screenshot):

ARXIN post #1294 said:
First Official Screenshot?
200.jpg

1up

Update 8 (Hwang is out, Finisher/guard break tidbits):

Master Thespian post #1277 said:
@Daishi_CALIBUR said:
OK, I’ll be straight with everyone. Sorry but Hwang won’t be in this time round. I slipped another secret…

At least he isn't keeping you Hwang players hanging on by a thread.

@Daishi_CALIBUR said:
Soul crush and critical finishes are 2 separate things. Being able to break guards isn't a bad thing. RT @Mr_Sterg

Critical finish looks to be gone but there appears to still be something still at play with Soul Crush, the meter, and guard breaking.

Update 7 (Mitsurugi revealed):

Galdelico post #1247 said:
Good one.

341987Capture.png

Update 6 (First gameplay clip):

Master Thespian post #1102 said:
I wasn't sure if I should post this since the quality is so bad, but here's the first gameplay clip of SCV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjKQvighRk8
You can't really make anything out but it at least makes me feel pretty good that we'll get a decent amount of gameplay footage at E3.

Jay Shadow post #1194 said:
Needed a break from my serious video editing, so I took a little time to stabilize the shaky cam footage of SC5. Still massively blurry because my PC does not contain an Enhance button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4V4mn-byI

Update 5 (Roster details, Nightmare in/50% old characters):

Erigu post #1097 said:
Malice215 said:
And if someone can translate Japanese, SC5 should be discussed on Famitsu's livestream. Don't know when.
http://www.famitsu.com/live/fcml/
They confirmed Nightmare would be in the game.
Also, around half the roster will be "old" characters.

Update 4 (First Screenshot!):

Monocle post #1070 said:

Update 3 (Pyrrah confirmed, at least 26 total characters):

Roto13 post #978 said:
Pyrrah confirmed. :p
@Daishi_CALIBUR said:
Instead I’ll tell you a little secret; I’m currently working on Pyrrah’s balance. Patroklos seems stronger at the moment.

Sir Garbageman post #981 said:
Sounds like they're aiming for 26 characters including guests. How many did SC4 have?

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/17/soulcalibur-vs-new-team-aims-to-have-at-least-26-characters/

Update 1/2 (More info, character art):

ARXIN post #158 said:
More Eurogamer Info

The game, set 17 years after Soulcalibur IV, features guest characters, Project Soul producer Hisaharu Tago told Christian Donlan for Eurogamer.

The main character is Patroklos, son of Sophitia. Patroklos is "inspired" by the gameplay of Sophitia, but is "sharper" and "more agile". He has new moves, but they're all inspired by Sophitia's.

V takes the Siegried ending of IV and builds upon it. Seigfried, now 39 years old, no longer wields the Soul Calibur sword.

V is described as a "generational shift", complete with new characters, but SCIV characters will return. "SC 1-4 was a continuous story," Tago said. "We want to make a generational shift with a new story this time."

The Soulcalibur series is famous for the inclusion of characters from other universes, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda and Yoda from Star Wars. Will other non-Soulcalibur characters feature?

"Difficult question," Tago said. "We will have guest characters as we did with Star Wars. Please stay tuned for more information on that."

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

The game's new fighting style is described as "lighter, sharper, and more elegant". The online mode has been improved with new features. "Gameplay in IV could be a little heavy, particularly when you were online – we wanted gameplay that was more fast and reactive," Tago said.

On the shift in gameplay: "Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

Elsewhere, Tago confirmed the create a character feature from previous games in the series returns, but refused to divulge details.

ExMachina post #452 said:
Some higher res versions of the Patroklos and Sieg art:

Original:

HD Teaser Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIjwEHgtbc

230372_198920380151302_157579717618702_517055_94180_n.jpg

-The battle system comes improved, new features added

-Main character is called Patrocles (Patroklos)

-Trailer was shown @ Level Up

-Coming 2012

-A true SC sequel, set 17 years later in the timeline (unclear whether this is from the events of SC1 or SC4)

-Expect returning characters and new ones.

-More coming @ E3

-Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

For reference:
Official website
Previous Thread

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
They're showing a new trailer :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Erigu

Gunloc said:
17 years later? ?_?
It would have to be set quite a bit later, yeah. Patroclus was still pretty young in the previous games...
Wonder what that means for the rest of the cast.

I love SC.

I mean, I loved it until it became a stylistic clusterfuck.

I'm praying for a reboot in the vein of the first chapter, then injected into my veins.

Amir0x said:
Yes yeeeeess

the revival of fighting game genre continues

when did it die?

In any case, I hope this is more like SC3. Hated SC4. Character customization was worse, music was worse, story mode was worse, It was overall a worse game than SC3. The only redeeming qualities were its visuals and online functionality. Star wars characters broke the game too.

Seeing as T6 was good and TT2 looks nice, Namco seems to be on a good groove right now so hopefully this game impresses.

fernoca

Patroklos in mythology:
In Greek mythology, as recorded in the Iliad by Homer, Patroclus, or Patroklos (Gr. Πάτροκλος “glory of the father”), was the son of Menoetius, grandson of Actor, King of Opus, and was Achilles' beloved comrade and brother-in-arms.
When the tide of war turned away from the Acheans, and the Trojans threatened their ships, Patroclus convinced Achilles to let him don Achilles' armor and lead the Myrmidons into combat. In his lust for combat, Patroclus pursued the Trojans all the way back to the gates of Troy, defying Achilles' order to break off combat once the ships were saved. Patroclus killed many Trojans and allies including the Lycian hero Sarpedon (a son of Zeus), and Cebriones (the chariot driver of Hector and illegitimate son of Priam). Patroclus was stunned by Apollo, wounded by Euphorbos, then finished off by Hector. At the time of his death, Patroclus had killed 53 enemy soldiers.

After retrieving his body, which had been protected on the field by Odysseus and Ajax (Telamonian Aias), Achilles returned to battle and avenged his companion's death by killing Hector. Achilles then desecrated Hector's body by dragging it behind his chariot instead of allowing the Trojans to honorably dispose of it by burning it. Achilles' grief was great and for some time, he refused to dispose of Patroclus' body; but he was persuaded to do so by an apparition of Patroclus, who told Achilles he could not enter Hades without a proper cremation. Achilles sheered off his hair, and sacrificed horses, dogs, and twelve Trojan captives before placing Patroclus' body on the funeral pyre.

Achilles then organized an athletic competition to honour his dead companion, which included a chariot race (won by Diomedes), boxing (won by Epeios), wrestling (a draw between Telamonian Aias and Odysseus), a foot race (won by Odysseus), a duel (a draw between Aias and Diomedes), a discus throw (won by Polypoites), an archery contest (won by Meriones), and a javelin throw (won by Agamemnon, unopposed). The games are described in Book 23 of the Iliad, one of the earliest references to Greek sports.
It will be interesting to see if they take from there or if it's just in name.

I'm excited. I liked IV a lot (though I hated it initially) and the series in general. Can't wait to see how they spice things up.

Yoshichan

lightless_shado said:
when did it die?
Really? The combination of SCIV and SFIV revived it.

Erigu said:
It would have to be set quite a bit later, yeah. Patroclus was still pretty young in the previous games...
Wonder what that means for the rest of the cast.
That's what I'm worried about.

17 years isn't that large of jump that it would really exclude anyone, but I really like the SC roster. I want Hwang!

ARXIN said:
Patroclus? Spartan Warrior?
It's also the name of Sophitia's son.

LowParry

Welp, time I go back and get into SCIV. Get myself all nice and ready. :D Though 17 years later? A grown up Talim and Amy? Old man Mits? Nightmare still being a pimp? I can't wait to see the new characters. A lot of the current cast of SCIV might be to old to fight. Who knows, who cares. Can't wait for E3!

Erigu

Gunloc said:
17 years isn't that large of jump that it would really exclude anyone, but I really like the SC roster. I want Hwang!
Where did you get the number though? Is it just speculation, or...?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I wonder if we'll be playing Soul Calibur on another big controller with a screen in the middle...

Amir0x

Banned
lightless_shado said:
when did it die?

In any case, I hope this is more like SC3. Hated SC4. Character customization was worse, music was worse, story mode was worse, It was overall a worse game than SC3. The only redeeming qualities were its visuals and online functionality. Star wars characters broke the game too.

Seeing as T6 was good and TT2 looks nice, Namco seems to be on a good groove right now so hopefully this game impresses.

There was a very long period where fighting games were basically a massively declining genre with fewer releases every year and fewer interested consumers. Every since the mighty fighting game revival in the second half of this gen, developers have put more effort into the games and consumers have reacted by buying more and so developers have reacted by making more.

Skilletor

Didn't SC4 sell around 2 million copies before SF4 came out?

SF4 did a lot for fighting games, but not EVERY fighter that comes after it can be said to be because of it. Many fighters were doing fine before capcom realized they could make money in the genre again.

No Mitsurugi no party for me, been using exclusively him since the first game.

But I don't think Namco is dumb enough to wipe out most of the established roster.

TreIII

OK! Time skip game! This should hopefully be well on its way to being the "Tekken 3" the SC series has needed for a while.

Yoshichan said:
Really? The combination of SCIV and SFIV revived it.

But it never really "died" though. All those games did was just do more to incite more western interest in the genre. For example, Tekken was still doing fine before and after the "SF4 bump".

Sectus

... 17 years later?

49 year old Ivy?

47 year old Taki?

If it is truly 17 years later I'm expecting something akin to a reboot. No way are they aging characters that much and have them return in the game.

Yoshichan

Skilletor said:
Didn't SC4 sell around 2 million copies before SF4 came out?

SF4 did a lot for fighting games, but not EVERY fighter that comes after it can be said to be because of it. Many fighters were doing fine before capcom realized they could make money in the genre again.
Yep, SC2 sold really well. I feel that BlazBlue is a pure example of how successful it became because of SFIV.

LowParry

metareferential said:
No Mitsurugi no party for me, been using exclusively him since the first game.

But I don't think Namco is dumb enough to wipe out most of the established roster.

I'm sure Mits will be in. He'll just be twice as awesome with age. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom