• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Descendants Trailer (dir. Alexander Payne; George Clooney)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRAILER [HD] (streaming/embeddable)

Director: Alexander Payne (Sideways, Election, About Schmidt)
Cast: George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Beau Bridges, Robert Forster, Judy Greer, Matthew Lillard, Nick Krause, Amara Miller, Mary Birdsong, Rob Huebel, Patricia Hastie

poster-xlarge.jpg

Synopsis:
From Alexander Payne, the creator of the Oscar-winning SIDEWAYS, set in Hawaii, THE DESCENDANTS is a sometimes humorous, sometimes tragic journey for Matt King (George Clooney) an indifferent husband and father of two girls, who is forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off of Waikiki. The event leads to a rapprochement with his young daughters while Matt wrestles with a decision to sell the family's land handed down from Hawaiian royalty and missionaries.

December 16th, 2011.

Dead

well not really...yet
Expendable. said:
Can't believe it'll be almost a decade since his last feature, looking forward to it!
10 years since he co-wrote Jurassic park III!

(funny how that credit sticks out like a sore thumg on his resume at imdb lol)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hmm. I love (loved?) Payne's other films but this trailer does absolutely nothing for me. Even Clooney's presence isn't moving me.

Scullibundo said:
I'm down.

Also: Plainview, why can't you ever just link to the HD youtube version? Its so easy and much more convenient.
HD YouTubes are never up when I post, which is usually within minutes of debuts. Someone eventually posts one as well.

bud

RustyNails said:
George Clooney, please don't age any further :(

dude, clooney's aging like fine wine. he looks terrific.

and i really need to rewatch sideways again. it's been a while.

bud said:
dude, clooney's aging like fine wine. he looks terrific.

and i really need to rewatch sideways again. it's been a while.
I know that, I just want him to stay his ash Danny Ocean/Michael Clayton/Ryan Bingham look forever. Although Ryan Bingham (Up in the Air) was more greyer than others. In this movie, he looks "old" for the first time to me :(

Matt_C

I was expecting a biopic of this

orig-6028891.jpg

Just kidding.

but I may want to go out of my way to see this movie.

second awesome trailer (YouTube version) and poster and new website:

Critictoo-Cinema-The-Descendants-Poster-2-500x739.jpg

God, I love this movie. Just recently watched Sideways again and NEED to see this a second time.

-------

Guess I never posted it here, but my review:

[TIFF Review] The Descendants

descendants_610.jpg

Delivering his most emotionally-mature film yet, Alexander Payne examines the importance of family with The Descendants. It is a welcome return for the filmmaker, who is able to present each situation with mellow humanity as he tackles big issues (loss, death, grief, love) in subtlety effective ways. Usually comfortable with his stoic and suave roles, George Clooney opens up like never before as Matt King, a father whose life is spiraling out of control in Hawaii.

A-

GAF you am disappoint. Well, here is my 6th post in a row for one of 2011's best.

Fox Searchlight's expansion dates:

11/16/11
NEW YORK, NY
AMC Lincoln Square, NYC
Union Square 14 Stadium, NYC

LOS ANGELES, CA
AMC Century City, Los Angeles, CA
The Landmark, Los Angeles, CA
Pacific Arclight Hollywood, Hollywood, CA

11/18/11
TORONTO, ON
Varisty Theater, Toronto, ON

BOSTON, MA
Boston Common, Boston, MA
Coolidge Corner, Brookline, MA
Kendall Square Cinemas, Cambridge, MA

WASHGINTON, DC
Georgetown 14, Washginton, DC
E-Street Cinema, Washginton, DC

PHILADELPHIA, PA
AMC Neshaminy, Bensalem, PA
Ritz Theaters East, Philadelphia, PA
Rave Ritz Center, Voorhees, NJ

CHICAGO, IL
River East 21, Chicago, IL
Century 12, Evanston, IL
Showplace Icon, Chicago, IL
Century Centre Cinema, Chicago, IL

MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Uptown, Minneapolis, MN

DALLAS, TX
Angelika Mockingbird Station, Dallas, TX
Angelika Plano Film Center, Plano, TX

HOUSTON, TX
River Oak Village Cinema, Houston, TX

DENVER, CO
Esquire, Denver, CO

SAN DIEGO, CA
AMC La Jolla, La Jolla, CA
Hillcrest Cinema, San Diego, CA

SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Century 9, San Francisco, CA
Kabuki, San Francisco, CA

11/23/11
ALBANY, NY
ALBUQUERQUE, NM
ATLANTA, GA
AUSTIN, TX
BALTIMORE, MD
BUFFALO, NY
CHARLOTTE, NC
CINCINNATI, OH
CLEVELAND, OH
COLUMBUS, OH
DAYTON, IN
DETROIT, MI
FORT MEYERS, FL
HARTFORD, CT
HONOLULU, HI
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
KANSAS CITY, KS/MO
KNOXVILLE, TN
LAS VEGAS, NV
LOUISVILLE, KY
MADISON, WI
MEMPHIS, TN
MIAMI/FT. LAUDERDALE, FL
MILWAUKEE, WI
MINNEAPOLIS, MN
MONTEREY, CA
NASHVILLE, TN
NEW ORLEANS, LA
NORFOLK, VA
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
OMAHA, NE
ORLANDO, FL
PALM SPRINGS, CA
PHOENIX, AZ
PITTSBURGH, PA
PORTLAND, OR
PROVIDENCE, RI
RICHMOND, VA
ROCHESTER, NY
SACRAMENTO, CA
SALT LAKE CITY
SAN ANTONIO, TX
SANTA BARBARA, CA
SEATTLE, WA
SPRINGFIELD, IL
ST. LOUIS, MO
TAMPA, FL
TUCSON, AZ
TULSA, OK
WEST PALM BEACH, FL

11/25/11
HALIFAX, NS
MONTREAL, QC

Ricky_R

Expendable. said:
Nice! Going to see it this again week as well. It is currently 93% on RottenTomatoes with 40 reviews, one of the most-praised of the year.

Tomatometer is good and all, but what's really great is the average rating which is 8.4/10

I enjoy Payne's style of direction a lot (it reminds me of Reitman's), and I absolutely love Clooney as an actor, specially this late in his career. So this movie is a must watch.

I shall point out that Up in the Air was my favorite movie of 2009.

Blader

That was fantastic! Such a genuine, earnest film. This is definitely Clooney's best performance in a long time; he's always a good actor, but he usually plays the same kind of character (himself, essentially, which isn't a bad thing) so it was great to see him bring some terrifically realized warmth and emotion into this performance. What also really got me about this film is that it actually feels like a family story. A lot of family dramas are about families, but don't really capture the spirit of a family, if that makes any sense; but this definitely did.

This sounds like a bunch of abstract pseudo-emotional bullshit, but this is essentially the feeling the film left me with. Great great movie, definitely one of my favorites of the year.

A

hailene-Woodley,-George-Clooney,-Barbara-L.-Southern,-and-Robert-Forster-descendants.jpg

- 10 new images.

- out NOW in limited release! Expands wider tomorrow. Roll-out details here.

George-Clooney-and-Shailene-Woodley--The-Descendants.jpg

- A perfect **** stars from Roger Ebert:

"The Descendants" has a
happy ending
. Therefore, technically, it's a comedy. It takes place in the paradise of Hawaii. It stars George Clooney. That may lead you to expect a pleasant good time, but this film is so much more than that. Clooney gives one of his best performances in this film directed and co-written by Alexander Payne, who in "Sideways" (2004) and "About Schmidt" (2002), showed a special affinity for men learning to accept their better feelings.

the-descendants-alexander-payne-family.jpg

Just got back from seeing it; absolutely loved it. Everything is just so real, from the family down to Hawaii itself. The cast is great, especially Clooney, Bridges, and Woodley.

awesome movie. had me choked up at multiple parts. scotty was hilarious.

also whoever played her part was great. awesome actor for her age.

Saw the movie on Wednesday, loved it

I almost feel bad for laughing at some of Sid's lines earlier in the movie, but he totally redeemed himself

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
This movie had my interest.....on life support.

The only time I cried was at the end because I couldn't get my money back.

I hope this movie doesn't have any descendants.

the story and outcome was cliche but still like the movie. Might have been the execution.
really nice to see some local places, and a glimpsed at the place I worked at.

Not as good as Sideways, which I thought was one of the best comedies in a long, long time.

To be frank, I'm getting tired of Clooney and his everyman character. I had the same problem with Tom Cruise, but Cruise actually broke the mold with Magnolia, Collateral, and Tropic Thunder.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The Descendants is the most infuriating movie I have seen all year. Went into this one with reasonable expectations, but by the end of it I was just fuming with hatred. What an over-the-top melodramatic piece of crap. I have never been more insulted by a film in my life. Scenes intended to be emotional come off as ridiculously forced thanks to one of the most cliché scripts in recent memory. Everything is just so fucking forced down the audience's throat it almost becomes a parody of itself.

askojagklmaklhmh

I really loved the idea and premise of the film, but it was so poorly executed that it pains me to know what could have been. I look at this and can't help but compare it to something like 50/50, which is both funnier AND more emotional.

All the characters were walking clichés, which wouldn't be so bad if they had the ACTING CHOPS to pull it off. Seriously, the little girl, Sid, the grandfather... all really poor performances, which, truth be told, is mostly the script's fault.

And don't get me started on Clooney's character. There was no explanation for why he was such a pussy the entire film. SO INFURIATING.

GAH.

I will say that the soundtrack was mostly terrific and there were some gorgeous shots of Hawaii. :/

Everybody hating on Clooney in this film can go suck a bag of boil-covered dicks. Clooney is a fucking boss and was great in the movie. Film was very enjoyable.

kaskade

I think I'm going to see it tonight. I was debating between this and The Grey but I'm not in a gloomy mood tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom