• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IO Interactive Talks About Hitman Accessibility

raphier

Banned
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-game-engine-brings-hitman-absolution-to-the-masses/

“The Hitman games of past have been very hardcore,” said Tore Blystad, game director at IO Interactive. “Even though the fantasy of the Hitman universe has a very universal appeal, the games have been so difficult to play, that it’s been more of an acquired taste. The biggest challenge that we had with this game was to make it much broader in every sense, so that it was easier to play and more accessible, but still retain a very strong, hardcore side as well. We don’t want to alienate any of our fans who have been extremely loyal for so many years.”
They also talk about AI. But this right there, what to make of it?

Dilly

Banned
That's a load of crap, Hitman was perfectly balanced between the two.

You could sink in hours just to get SA rating or just blast your way through the levels.

Here is what you do, IO: you keep it the same but include an easy mode that the casual player selects ot the start of the game. This mode adds an arrow at the top of the screen (like BioShock) which tells them where to go, along with some text detailing the current objective. Upon completing each mission objective, the player is given a Crysis 2-style selection of which path they wish to take next.

Everyone else gets the standard Hitman that we love.

derFeef

SCC is still a weird comparison because we knew from the beginning that it was going to be different and not like the good old Splinter Cell games.

Improved AI, YAY!

Blystad said the artificial intelligence (AI) that is featured in Hitman: Absolution is something that has taken the most time to develop. The gameplay revolves around player actions, and since there are many choices in every scenario, the AI had to be able to respond to any given situation at any given time.

“If you attack and enemy from any angle, than we’re able to have them fight back, or continue on in a normal state if you ignore them,” said Blystad. “There are similar things in games like GTA or these bigger sandbox games, but it’s on a much less granular level because we have a very strong focus on the abilities of the characters. You get so close to the characters in this game. They all have names, and they have all some kind of part to play in the story, so that they act as believable as possible is the most important thing for us. It’s the most central part of the game.”

JCtheMC

Great... 6 years of waiting for a game that would've been perfect if they'd just done more of the same with slightly better graphics. The games industry: If it isn't broke, we'll fix it.

Interfectum

raphier said:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-game-engine-brings-hitman-absolution-to-the-masses/

There is no such thing as medium between hardcore and mainstream. You're about to displease both sides, IO.

Goddamnit. I mean... god fucking damnit.

qs35tw.gif

Ceebs

If you ask me, all Blood Money really needed to have to reach a broader audience was a streamlined control scheme. Something highly context sensitive like Assassins Creed would work quite well. The game itself might not have been the easiest, but I know I was fighting with controls for a good bit of it which only made it harder.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ceebs said:
If you ask me, all Blood Money really needed to have to reach a broader audience was a streamlined control scheme. Something highly context sensitive like Assassins Creed would work quite well. The game itself might not have been the easiest, but I know I was fighting with controls for a good bit of it which only made it harder.

On consoles the controls probably werent great, never played it on 360 though :/

I need to find it cheap in the netherlands..

Blood Money on pc was godlike imo.

Ceebs

MMaRsu said:
On consoles the controls probably werent great, never played it on 360 though :/

I need to find it cheap in the netherlands..

Blood Money on pc was godlike imo.
I have it from a Steam sale but never tried it on the PC. Does it still have you diving into that rotating inventory for every damn thing you want to use?

derFeef

Aaand everyone jumping the (silenced) gun again. Will judge when I see it and not just because someone bolded the one part and not the other important part.

Oneself

That 3rd cover is awesome.

Seeing how bad were IO games over the years (other than Hitman & Freedom Fighters) I don't have faith in this "more mainstream" BS. Blood Money was perfect IMO, hopefully it will be part of a "PS3 remastered" collection at the very least. (2,Contract & Blood Money) I sure would double dip ..

Interfectum

derFeef said:
Aaand everyone jumping the (silenced) gun again. Will judge when I see it and not just because someone bolded the one part and not the other important part.

Let me jump the gun and, if you end up being right, feel free to ship me plates full of crow and I'll happily eat it while playing Hitman. :)

Angry Fork

inb4 'lets wait till the trailer k guyzz'. Trailer is shown and fans hate it. 'guyz guyz lets wait till demo k lol' Demo is released and fans hate it, tons of casual shit way too easy etc. 'guyz lets wait till game releases it's just a demo lolol just a beta' Game releases, it's shitted on by fans. The 'lets just wait' guys eat crow.

raphier said:

There is no such thing as medium between hardcore and mainstream. You're about to displease both sides, IO.

I don't get it. Hitman is the type of game were you could play it anyway you want. You could go the Rambo route, or the Ninja route. That's what made Hitman awesome, the freedom. Hope is fading fast on my side GAF. Whatever they show on E3 better impress the shit out of me.

Interfectum

ShinobiFist said:
I don't get it. Hitman is the type of game were you could play it anyway you want. You could go the Rambo route, or the Ninja route. That's what made Hitman awesome, the freedom. Hope is fading fast on my side GAF. Whatever they show on E3 better impress the shit out of me.

My worst fear is they'll still do that but it'll be really streamlined and guided.

Like: "There are two guards up ahead, you can sneak past them or kill them, make your choice."

That way the developers can say "we're still appealing to the hardcore Hitman crowd by giving gamers a choice, but we are making it easier to play by guiding the player through the experience."

So everything they say basically suggests that this game will be shit and casualized and fail to reach the sales of blood money because casuals will play call of duty and assasins creed and hardcore gamers will be pissed off.

Thanks IO.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ponti said:
Well there's that dreaded word, 'accessible'. FUCK.

At least I still got you Blood Money.

Blood Money was more accessible than the previous Hitman games

did I just blow your mind?

RedStep

Ahoi-Brause said:
So everything they say basically suggests that this game will be shit and casualized and fail to reach the sales of blood money because casuals will play call of duty and assasins creed and hardcore gamers will be pissed off.

Thanks IO.

You hit the nail on the head. We have enough information to judge the game completely, and it has come up wanting. Time to pack up and wait for the next one. See ya.

RedStep said:
You hit the nail on the head. We have enough information to judge the game completely, and it has come up wanting. Time to pack up and wait for the next one. See ya.
Well their twitter statements are stuff like "it's still a stealth game AT HEART" which translates to "it's not a stealth game anymore but it's build on a franchise that's famous for stealth"

derFeef

Ahoi-Brause said:
Well their twitter statements are stuff like "it's still a stealth game AT HEART" which translates to "it's not a stealth game anymore but it's build on a franchise that's famous for stealth"
Reading to much into quotes, spinning them until it fits your view. Thats all we do here apparently.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hope they still have OTSV and FPWV... the later was always kind of janky but I loved that it was there.

raphier

Banned
derFeef said:
Reading to much into quotes, spinning them until it fits your view. Thats all we do here apparently.
Well, Splinter Cell Conviction is a stealth game at heart too (in the end of day; technically) *rolls eyes*

saladine1

All I want is a modern version of the game we all know and love.
Is that too much to ask?
Well, is it?

I'm getting sick and tired of our franchises being made 'accessible' and 'mainstream'.
All you casuals out there, man the fuck up and be HaRdcoReZ!!

derFeef

http://twitter.com/#!/ToreBlystad/statuses/74197783980158976
Wow, people are going crazy about this 'appeal to broader audience'. I will stop talking about that for now, you'll have to wait and see.

You guys have done well ;)

derFeef said:

You guys have done well ;)

"Wait till you see the badass cover system, the sweet gunplay, and our patented, original "tag and eliminate" mechanic. Then you'll know what we mean."

derFeef

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
"Wait till you see the badass cover system, the sweet gunplay, and our patented, original "tag and eliminate" mechanic. Then you'll know what we mean."
Magic crystal ball? You guys are just trolling me, aren't you? :)

I dunno. When I read that quote, the first thing that popped in my head was the AI in the Hitman games I played. Actually, I only played Hitman 2, but when I talk about the AI I mean just how sensitive it was.

I hardly remember the game at all, but two missions that still sticks with me today was the Russian level where you have to find some Russian person in an apartment like building, and the night level where you're at some party. No matter how quiet I was in killing someone, the AI would be alerted right away, even enemies that were nowhere near my POV.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I dunno. When I read that quote, the first thing that popped in my head was the AI in the Hitman games I played. Actually, I only played Hitman 2, but when I talk about the AI I mean just how sensitive it was.

I hardly remember the game at all, but two missions that still sticks with me today was the Russian level where you have to find some Russian person in an apartment like building, and the night level where you're at some party. No matter how quiet I was in killing someone, the AI would be alerted right away, even enemies that were nowhere near my POV.

Yeah, the AI in Hitman 2 tended to be on the paranoid side.

"Holy shit, that man has gone out for a jog. KILL HIM!!!"

They made the AI a good bit less psycho for Blood Money, even if the AI was still weak in many ways.

spicy cho

derFeef said:

Wow, people are going crazy about this 'appeal to broader audience'. I will stop talking about that for now, you'll have to wait and see.
No, tell us more you jackass. "Hey folks, seems you don't like our direction talk so I'll just quietly continue killing a beloved franchise, kthx."

Interfectum

@hitmanforum hitmanforum
Great fun @IOInteractive today! Game looks fresh but stay true to the original! Look forward to E3! Thanks @nick_at_io @toreblystad

This gives me some hope. Though I'm not sure how drunk "hitmanforum" was when posting this.

Top Bottom