• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ kills off Smackdown vs. Raw and announces WWE '12 (still developed by Yuke's)

For years WWE SmackDown vs. Raw has been the Sports Entertainment simulation series from THQ and Yuke's Yokohama. It's been a fun ride, but as with any franchise, fans have complained about annual aspects over and over again. Turns out the developers were listening, killed the series, and are planning on fixing things with WWE '12.

The stiff animations, the characters warping into place for certain moves, the confusing right analog stick controls for grapples -- WWE '12 is addressing all of that and feels good so far. That's pretty damn exciting.

Now, it would be easy to glance at screenshots and assume THQ and developer Yuke's Yokohama just dumped the WWE SmackDown vs. Raw name and called it a day. That's what I did. For a few days leading into my meeting, THQ had been telling me this game was going to be unlike any other WWE game I had seen, but when I finally laid eyes on it, WWE '12 sure did look similar to WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011.

Then, I started to play it. THQ and Yuke's didn't just change the name, they changed the game's DNA. There's a new animation system, new blending methods, something called "Predator Technology" -- basically, they went under the game's hood and ripped out all the old stuff that people hated and plugged in brand new parts to try and make the most fluid wrestling game around.

When John Cena's suplexing an opponent, a third Superstar can punch Cena and break up the move. You can do that for any move -- even Finishers and mini-games like the Royal Rumble eliminations. When you're slammed to the mat at the beginning of a bout, you're going to sell the move and get up at the same time so that the match keeps a fast-paced feel. When you're getting up from any move, you're going to have a window to strike before you're even to your feet. The goal is to have a game that feels like anything can happen from any position and eradicate that stiffness and clunkiness that has always been a calling card of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw.

For me, it all came together watching a three-man match. Orton laid out an opponent and went to the ring apron, Cena immediately started his 5-Knuckle Shuffle routine on the downed man, and as Cena was coming down, Randy Orton launched himself from the apron to land a splash. Orton hit, Cena hit, and Orton hit again. The sequence was polished and fast -- it looked like a spot from ECW of old. There was no blown animation as the character on the ground reacted to the first move and ignored the other.

People don't warp to the center of the ring for a 5-Knuckle Shuffle and similar moves anymore; the move happens where it happens. The ropes no longer stay awkwardly still during matches; you slam someone and the ring reacts. The tired fonts and menus of old have been ditched for a new setup. Visually, new shaders and tech have been introduced to make the game look better than ever. There's definition to the character's faces instead of the blur there was last year, and depth of field has been introduced to give the brand new arenas weight and realism.

Seeing the game in motion is where the proof of all these Predators and shaders lives. I've already talked about how the moves flow together, but there's more to it than that. The days of analog stick grapples are over. Now, everything's going back to the face buttons of your favorite controller. Grapple, strike, pin and Finisher are all right there for the taking. There are no strong and weak grapples -- the moves you're pulling off are dependent on how worn down the opponent is.

That's all well and good, but there are specific things THQ has peppered in that affect the gameplay. First, there's limb targeting in WWE '12. You can attack the head, arms or legs, and while this obviously puts you in a good place for certain finishers, it also really twists the match in whatever direction you want it to go. If you're up against a lightning quick high flier, you can work the legs so the opponent can't get around as quickly and can't zip up the turnbuckles. Work the head, and the opponent is going to be a groggy mess. All this plays into how easy it'll be to get an opponent to tap in the new "Breaking Point" submission system where players tap buttons in a tug of war mini-game.

That said, I thought the stamina bar was a bit of a step backwards in WWE '12. The last few WWE SmackDown vs. Raw games incorporated a barely visible halo around the Superstars feet to keep players in-tune with how they're doing in a match and not distract from the presentation. As of now, WWE '12 features a big meter with a name on it at the bottom of the screen showing how close you are to building a Signature or Finisher (you can store two Finishers). I found it jarring as the game looks better than ever and is trying so hard to mimic broadcasts.

Still, that's the only gripe I have with the new direction. WWE '12 also adds Dynamic Comebacks, which are those tried and true combos you see folks like Cena throw out that take them from the edge of defeat to clearing the ring. If you reach a certain amount of damage, you'll be able to have a shot to use this one-time combo. Pull it off, and you get two Finishers.

All that, and there's still more to say. Unless your opponent is really hurting, expect to get just one ground grapple in. The right stick repositions opponents. Animations change based on weight classes. There are new "attach points" for moves so that hands and legs lock to certain points in certain moves and don't clip through bodies. Justin Roberts is here as the ring announcer, King and Cole are confirmed, and Alberto Del Rio's entrance comes complete with Ricardo Rodriguez.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1171529p1.html

tba-wwe-12-20110530112110406.jpg

tba-wwe-12-20110530112113469.jpg

tba-wwe-12-20110530112118703.jpg

tba-wwe-12-20110530112121718.jpg

tba-wwe-12-20110530112124984.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/109/109900/imgs_1.html

shaowebb

It doesn't matter how hard you polish a turd or what name you call crap by because it's still shit to play with and it always leaves you feeling dirty afterwards.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll wait until a non-IGN website previews this game for impressions. Their writer is a THQ/WWE shill.

Araxen

Banned
It's being made by Yukes...it'll be crap still. It's pretty sad the last great Pro-Wrestling game was made in the N64 era.

Araxen said:
It's being made by Yukes...it'll be crap still. It's pretty sad the last great Pro-Wrestling game was made in the N64 era.
Did you play the amazing gamecube titles like Day of Reckoning? Its pretty much an updated version of the old N64 games.

Araxen said:

Wrong.

As mentioned in the other thread, KoC2, ASPW3, and FPR are all excellent wrestling games for the PS2.

ElRenoRaven

shaowebb said:
It doesn't matter how hard you polish a turd or what name you call crap by because it's still shit to play with and it always leaves you feeling dirty afterwards.

Pretty much. It's Smackdown. Gotta love the PR spin.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The Faceless Master said:
will wait on the demo before i see if it's the same old shit or not.

I know some guys who worked on EA MMA worked on this one. When they left EA they told me to expect something very different in the new WWE game. I know at one time they were trying to be a bit more, "sim". Not sure how it turned out as they haven't said a peep to me about it in months.

Vandiger

If they wanted to remake the greatest wrestling game, look no further than virtual pro wrestling 2. Of course it was released over a decade ago :p. I still play VP2 at times just to re-live the glory days of wrestling games, nothing compares sadly.

I haven't played a wrestling game since WCW vs NWO. I would LOVE to be able to enjoy one again, even though I haven't followed wrestling in years. Shit was so fun with some buddies.

ultron87

I only hope that one day someone will find the driver of that unmarked car that ran over quality wrestling games in the parking lot that fateful night.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I see there using the same graphics engine.

The graphics engine was never the problem. The animation, physics, and match mechanics are the most important things here. And as much as old school fans love to crap on THQ/Yukes, they've been listening to the fans more than any other annual sports title the past 2 years, and making changes accordingly. There's nowhere to go but up, and I think they're doing a good job considering the length of their development cycle.

Jin34

LOL a lot of this new awesome stuff was in Day of Reckoning years ago. Also I don't like the idea of the moves being pulled off being out of my control. I should be able to go for a weaker, safer move or a more powerful move whenever I want and have the success or failure of that move be determined by how worn down my opponent is. In the old Aki games you could go for power bombs or chokeslams right off the bat but they were pretty much guaranteed to fail and get reversed.

The idea that a punch can break up any animation already calls balance into question. Anything other then a singles match especially online sounds like it could be a problem.

When you're slammed to the mat at the beginning of a bout, you're going to sell the move and get up at the same time so that the match keeps a fast-paced feel.

What?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They should have killed off SvR years ago when the DoR series was out. Those games are phenominal and the closest imitations of the AKI games ever. They also had par none the best modeling last gen.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

You know how in early match situations, a wrestler will be clutching at a part of his body (mostly the back) but getting up at the same time to keep the "chain" going? I think that's what they're going for.

Think scoop slam. Sell, but get up quickly.

i miss when these reveal threads always came with a series of hilariously homoerotic and unintentionally comical screenshots that had me thinking that THQ were doing it on purpose.

these ones are not funny. even if this is the best WWE game in years, this is the least entertaining WWE unveiling thread since i've been on GAF. i'll never forget some of the photoshops.

Nocturnowl said:
Maybe they mean to incorporate the John Cena school of selling, it really makes the game more authentic!

It's already here!

Dynamic Comebacks, which are those tried and true combos you see folks like Cena throw out that take them from the edge of defeat to clearing the ring. If you reach a certain amount of damage, you'll be able to have a shot to use this one-time combo. Pull it off, and you get two Finishers.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Shadowlink said:
Going to have to wait for a demo before I judge. Also, they need to include little Jimmy in the game.

Only if we get to throw drinks at lil' Jimmy's dad and run off.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
zoner said:
Oh sorry. I didn't know my opinion was wrong
For those looking for more of a wrestling sim, WWE All-Stars isn't really the answer no matter how good it is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
XiaNaphryz said:
For those looking for more of a wrestling sim, WWE All-Stars isn't really the answer no matter how good it is.
Certainly, but no one said anything about sims. If someone wants a sim, they should just get King of Colosseum 2

GQman2121

Banned
Plinko said:
I'll wait until a non-IGN website previews this game for impressions. Their writer is a THQ/WWE shill.
Word.

If Vinny Mac gave Greg Miller a sniff of his ass, Miller would crawl right on in it.

XiaNaphryz said:

This is part of the whole problem. The whole idea of a wrestling "Sim" is half of why Smackdown is such garbage now. I can understand wanting a more "realistic" wrestling game, in terms of no badass juggles and no sick dropkicks that knock people across the ring, but "sim"? You might as well play a "sim" of the Indiana Jones attraction from Disneyland.

The other half of why Smackdown sucks now is it's crummy PS1-era rooted controls and graphics

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
OnimaruXLR said:
This is part of the whole problem. The whole idea of a wrestling "Sim" is half of why Smackdown is such garbage now.
Didn't seem to really hurt the AKI series of games though, or several other excellent non-WWE wrestling games.

OnimaruXLR said:
This is part of the whole problem. The whole idea of a wrestling "Sim" is half of why Smackdown is such garbage now. I can understand wanting a more "realistic" wrestling game, in terms of no badass juggles and no sick dropkicks that knock people across the ring, but "sim"? You might as well play a "sim" of the Indiana Jones attraction from Disneyland.

The other half of why Smackdown sucks now is it's crummy PS1-era rooted controls and graphics

You do understand that the AKI games that everyone heaps praise on everytime there's a wrestling game thread are sims, right? As are Fire Pro games, the Smackdown series, KoC, etc. etc.

There is more than enough space for WWE All Stars, and a game that SIMULATES real life matches.

WWE All-Stars is the savior. I could give a fuck what they do with the Smackdown series unless they get rid of Yukes and destroy every aspect of the Smackdown engine.

every year IGN/greg miller say "this is the smackdown game you have been waiting for" and "they finally added all this new stuff that makes the game better".

EVERY FUCKING YEAR.

Will wait and see how this turns out but I wont hold my breath.

IMO THQ should get the All star guys to rush out all star 2 this year. add a few more wrestlers, a ladder and tables match and shit then have Yukes return next year with all new stuff then they can just trade years COD style.

Top Bottom