• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE - MS Conference Report

Gowans

If there was any sentiment going into Microsoft's E3 briefing this year, it was that Xbox 360 feels like the future. And the past and the present. It was a wheel-and-disc 360 made of Meccano, remember, that in 1936 burned down the Crystal Palace, having suffered the now-infamous 'three red lamps' error. Scientists predict that in the 24th century, the holodeck aboard the USS Enterprise will suffer crap textures because COD sells better on console. And until a late descendent of Microsoft Entertainment SVP Don Mattrick (or Nintendo) tells us otherwise, that's as close to the Next Generation as we're going to get.

Opener Modern Warfare 3, for instance, is still a James Bond game. Thunderball this time, the player's team of divers emerging from a flooded New York tunnel to cripple a submarine, climb aboard it (against a knackered Manhattan skyline), fire some big rockets, and surf waves and sinking aircraft carriers towards a waiting dropship. "It's absolutely huge," said Sledgehammer cofounder (and Dead Space co-creator) Glen Schofield. It looks it, and it will be.

We've observed over recent years the evolution of Don Mattrick into a living 360 avatar, and his journey is almost complete. Much the same can be said of Tomb Raider's evolution into Neil Marshall movie The Descent. Both this and Modern Warfare looked like interactive cutscenes, though in fairness to Raider it was the opening level. The evolution of EA Sports president Peter Moore's accent into an American one stalled back in 2005.

An epic marathon of cliches - "You're fighting for the very survival of the universe!" - introduced the news of comprehensive Kinect support for Mass Effect 3, which goes something like this. During dialogue sequences, you speak your choice of on-screen response and Shepard says something substantially different, but along the same lines. Then you bark orders to squadmates (again via Kinect) during evolved stop-and-pop combat. It looks like Mass Effect, plays like Mass Effect, and sounds like a very awkward person talking to Mass Effect.

If anyone was going to bid first to do the Minority Report thing with Kinect, it was always going to be Ubisoft. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier's 'Gunsmith' feature lets you create "20million entirely unique weapons" through gesture and voice, splitting them apart on screen with a dramatic parting of the hands. This, confirmed CEO Yves Guillemot, "is something a gamer cannot do with a normal controller." You can't boil an egg with it, either, but that doesn't make Cooking Mama a masterpiece. All further titles in the Tom Clancy franchise will "leverage support for Kinect," it was announced.

The watchwords for a Kinect-powered Xbox Live (the "invisible interface" offering "effortless control") were reiterated with the latest dashboard design, which seems a clear move to tally with that of Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8. The service's traditional entertainment options are due to multiply by "a factor of ten," incorporating services like YouTube and Bing, and network TV providers like ABC.

It wouldn't be a camera if UFC president Dana White wasn't in front of it, and it wouldn't be a new and exciting media platform if the UFC itself didn't capitalise on it. With its Facebook broadcasts and on-demand TV, the MMA promoter introduced its Xbox channel at E3, with all the interactive trimmings you'd expect. It wouldn't be a Microsoft keynote without Gears Of War, either, though this was, admittedly, the first time Ice-T had taken the stage to play it, confirming the game's status as a crossroads of online memes and folk heroes. It's also a handy benchmark of kick-ass Unreal tech.

Then, for one glorious split-second, Epic’s Cliff Bleszinski was still on stage during a Crytek video. Slightly inglorious was the moment when Ryse, the Crysis maker's swords and sandals epic, was revealed to be a Kinect 'swipe and headbutt thin air' game. Forza Motorsport 4 looks disgustingly good, as if the blood of a certain other racer was thick in the water. The trailer for Fable: The Journey, meanwhile, tells us that "Albion's end is coming," and features the smoke monster out of Lost. The stage demo involved a man gesturing spells towards goblins in an on-rails shooter.

If the target of Minecraft coming exclusively to 360 and Kinect, meanwhile, is the heart and mind of the more hardcore gamer, the target of Disneyland Adventures must be somewhere in the throat. "Available in your home this holiday season," threatened Microsoft Game Studio VP Phil Spencer. Kinect Star Wars belongs in a 90s amusement arcade, as did the person demonstrating it. The apparent lag suggested he was in the 90s, and after a lengthy bout of mindless, barely comprehensible 'air light-sabering', the entire conference appeared to be joining him.

The kids, at least, are going to love Double Fine's Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster, even if the kid on stage seemed a little uncomfortable about his 'relationship' to his adjacent 'dad'. The inane gesturing in this segment alone should keep the internet stocked in gifs until sometime next millennium. Much like Harmonix's Kasson Crooker at Microsoft's jamboree last year, who bravely returned to the stage this year to show off Dance Central 2. None of them, however, will do justice to Kudo Tsunoda's barely-legal mime for 'Kinect Finger Tracking'.

Tsunoda likes to keep the good stuff to himself, and here introduced Kinect Fun Labs, which with its raw and simple toys evokes a certain forgotten gem of the XNA R&D department, Kodu Game Lab. Full body capture (for instant avatars) and object capture (for importing real-world objects as props) were as brilliant and they felt inevitable, and for the curious are available now. "Imagine the possibilities that this technology unlocks," droned Good Science Studio head Shannon Loftis, which given the astounding lack of innovation in the show so far rang monstrously hollow.

Sometime during a round of Kinect Sports: Season Two golf, those who neither want nor plan to physically act out their games would have probably wondered what planet they were on. Is it the one we were living on before Wii made a fortune, where Microsoft now acts like an alien? Or is it the one on which Kinect just became the fastest-selling consumer device ever, making this mutation of Xbox 360 - evolution isn't the word, somehow - a foregone conclusion? When the biggest reveal of the evening is a "new trilogy" starting with Halo 4 via a remake of Halo 1, talk of possibilities is about as next-gen as it gets.

Worth a read and it's own thread
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/microsoft-press-conference-report

It reads more of a recollection rather than providing the scrutiny I normally expect from EDGE.

It doesn't mention, for example, the truly limited range Microsoft was offering, with the extremes being KILLDEATHMURDER shooters and CHILDREN Kinectathons with zero content to bridge the gap. I do not recall any previous E3 conference that focussed on such a limited range of genres or audience extremes.

I know they touched on Mass Effect's unveiled control system, but they could have been a bit broader in their observation: all the "core" game with Kinect functionality were merely providing a control method inferior (slower) to the controller option. MS had an ideal opportunity to show say a strategy game (with the Kinect interface controlling troops for example) or a creative or worldbuilder game (with the Kinect interface as a canvas). The device could not have been more tacked on.

Some coverage could also have gone to Microsoft's inability to keep any of their announcements secret, barring the Minecraft one.

There's a lot to say about this particular conference, I'm surprised EDGE were so brief.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's a great writeup. Can't quite capture the awkwardness of the whole thing - the guy who rushed on stage before que, the borderline mental american football guy, the epic Crytek letdown, the laughingly laggy games and the little kid fist bump. Then again, no mere words can convey the awkwardness - think Konami 2011 times two hours

Then amount of hardcore gamer trolling was symbolized in the announcement of Minecraft... Kinect

sohois

the target of Disneyland Adventures must be somewhere in the throat. "Available in your home this holiday season," threatened Microsoft Game Studio VP Phil Spencer.

love this line

DSN2K

good write up, has a pretty negative slant to all of it but its mostly justified frankly.

Full on Kinect Titles looked poor, implementation of Kinect into titles such as Mass Effect and other games seemed pointless.

MS are going the way of Nintendo with the Wii, and that's the bad points not the good ones.

Chittagong said:
That's a great writeup. Can't quite capture the awkwardness of the whole thing - the guy who rushed on stage before que, the borderline mental american football guy, the epic Crytek letdown, the laughingly laggy games and the little kid fist bump. Then again, no mere words can convey the awkwardness - think Konami 2011 times two hours

I didn't think there was anything awkward about the Microsoft conference in the slightest.

I think people will just judge on their personal preference, not for what it was.

sphinx

the piano man
This, confirmed CEO Yves Guillemot, "is something a gamer cannot do with a normal controller." You can't boil an egg with it, either, but that doesn't make Cooking Mama a masterpiece

I am laughing out loud here. this sentence was extremely funny :D

antonz

PiratesOfSiliconConferences.gif

was even more right then we could have imagined

blackflag

I understand the hate for the conference over all because it sucked. I don't get the hate for things like Kinect Disneyland...it is for 3 and 4 year olds. I don't own a kinect but if I did, I'm sure my 4 year old would love that disneyland game. Maybe I'll get him one for that and sesame street. It is like all these reviewers and commentators don't understand that it is for little kids.

Jeels

Scathing, but true.

I will say I love the new 360 interface, but other than that, that was probably the biggest E3 disappointment I have had since $599, and I was anticipating a focus on Kinect too. Screw off Microsoft.

I understand the hate for the conference over all because it sucked. I don't get the hate for things like Kinect Disneyland...it is for 3 and 4 year olds. I don't own a kinect but if I did, I'm sure my 4 year old would love that disneyland game. Maybe I'll get him one for that and sesame street. It is like all these reviewers and commentators don't understand that it is for little kids.

Little kids does not excuse bad games. Kids games can be some of the best games when they are good games.

antonz

blackflag said:
I think the whole point is E3 is not geared at little kids. Nintendo pulled this in 2008 and was absolutely torn to shreds by gamers and the gaming press.

Microsoft literally pulled a Nintendo E3 2008

Great write-up and it's admirable that they are not soft-soaping the conference. Even though EDGE is certainly not known for withholding their opinions anyway.

blackflag said:

I think it's more that this really isn't the right venue to have so much focus on these types of games. Show them, sure, but there's no need to have lengthy segments with piss poor child actors playing the games on stage when we want some real games for the audience which will actually be watching the conference.

Jeels said:
Little kids does not excuse bad games. Kids games can be some of the best games when they are good games.

Also this, a good kids game, like a good kid's move or cartoon can still be enjoyed by adults. None of the kids game showed looked particularly good.

Above average at best from what was shown.

Walshicus

blackflag said:
As I said in another post, they really should have had two separate conferences. One for Family and Kinect games, the other for traditional games.

There was pleanty of good in the conference;
Halo CEmake
Halo 4
Gears 3
Mass Effect 3
Ghost Recon Future Whatever
Metro-isation of the Dashboard
Kinect Labs Thingy
Modern Warfare 3 [for those who like that sort of thing]
Forza 4

But it got drowned out by family stuff that nobody here would care about.

blackflag said:
Well this is 2 years in a row MS have shit the bed at E3, can't blame people for asking for a little more than Kinect abominations

dwu8991

Banned
blackflag said:

I like Disney and never been to Disneyland so this would appeal to me. Shame the mini adventure games are so so.

For me it comes down to MS reducing gamers in a very binary way. You either like dudebro shooters and sports/racing games or you want to flail about playing on rails or absurdly simplified games. I don't fall into either camp so I guess there is no place for me under the 360's tent anymore.

Where are rpg's, platformers, quirky games, indie stuff, etc

Chittagong

Gold Member
Phonomezer said:
I didn't think there was anything awkward about the Microsoft conference in the slightest.

I think people will just judge on their personal preference, not for what it was.

Did we even watch the same thing? I mean, I have a Kinect, love the new guide ui and search and will even model my living room for Kinect...

...but that couldn't make me miss the guy who almost broke into tears on stage, the kids scripted "cool!" shouts, Kudo shades looking silly after Ice-T, the pew pew ghost recon demo, the real world Star Wars kid...

Sir Fragula said:
As I said in another post, they really should have had two separate conferences. One for Family and Kinect games, the other for traditional games.

Halo CEmake
Halo 4
Gears 3
Mass Effect 3
Kinect Labs Thingy
Forza 4

But it got drowned out by family stuff that nobody here would care about.
This. The above stuff was great but indeed drowned in the casual stuff with the most cringe-inducing and self-praising 'live' demonstrations known to man.

It won't stop the Gears and Halo games alone outselling Sony's entire first party line-up though. And it won't stop Xbox 360 becoming the world's best selling console over this next year. But, that's just the way it is.

mattp

Sir Fragula said:
Halo CEmake
Halo 4
Gears 3
Mass Effect 3
Kinect Labs Thingy
Forza 4
yawning__1220901657_91071.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I have to say that all said there is pretty much spot on. The goods and the bads.

For whatever reason, MS had it much better last year than now, even though the conferences were largely the same structure and all. Maybe because it all seemed new and full of promise last time, and now it's just the same thing, but there hasn't been much delivery on any of those promises.

[Nintex]

I like how they ruin everything. Take Fable the Journey, you ride around with a horse and you occasionally use magic spells against the same trolls all the time. The joke writes itself.

Elixist

°°ToMmY°° said:
When did amirox become an edge writer?

Lol I would love to read Amirox impressions of the conference, so many on rails shitty gameplay demos and not even a whiff of XBLA or mentioning anything about indies fail.

Top Bottom