• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo/EA online partnership discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see a thread about this, so if I missed it I know this will be locked. But since other things got specific threads, I figured this subject needed a thread as well.

So during the press conference we got a small mention about this partnership. Leading up to today we already had confirmation from Iwata that they would be going this route because they acknowledge Nintendo was not capable of meeting the demands of what consumers wanted in the online area, we just didn't know who it was.

Now we know that it is EA, so how do you feel about it?

I didn't think we would get much information about how the online capabilities would work during the conference so I'm not shocked that the only thing we got was a reveal of who the partner was.

We know for sure that EA definintely has the size to maintain a possibly large networking service for online gaming. And as said earlier this could lead to EA-exclusive content for Nintendo.

For me the only con I can think of is not knowing how it will be implemented.

Also a quick shoutout to Penguin for this post a month ago (found it while searching to see if this thread subject had already be created):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27571191&postcount=8030

Penguin said:
I just assumed they would partner with EA since the only other people who really did online with the Wii

Errr, I don't think it's specifically EA that's handling their online. I doubt that other third parties would enjoy having to go through EA to take their game online.

linko9

Wait, EA is Nintendo's online partner? I didn't get that from the conference, is there another source for this?

Effect

linko9 said:
Wait, EA is Nintendo's online partner? I didn't get that from the conference, is there another source for this?

It's the only thing that makes sense. Why have the President of EA come out and after they had released launched and announced their new Origin online system. We know Nintendo was partnering with someone. They could have easily had someone else from EA come out but the head man himself was there.

Dali

I thought Reggie said in the interview with Geoff that they really didn't have any sort of plan and were letting everyone do "what works for them".

Kamek

???

When did they say it was EA who was handling the online. If anything it was a show of 3rd party support. Reggie said he'd go more into online during the week (possibly at tonight's or tomorrow's roundtable).

EA knows online gaming. At least their sports division does. If they partnered up, then I'm happy Nintendo chose EA. Their guidance will be paramount in getting Nintendo up to speed so to speak.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dali said:
I thought Reggie said in the interview with Geoff that they really didn't have any sort of plan and were letting everyone do "what works for them".

Wow, that sounds like a horrible idea.

Way to early for this. Nothing is even remotely confirmed. If Reggie is to be believed we will known by Thursday at the latest. Maybe even tonight!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Dali said:

That is the opposite of what he said. Reggie said they are taking the best ideas from several of their developers and incorporating some of Nintendo's ideas into it.

Watch the interview again.

linko9

OK, so there is no source for this, and it's all speculation. Reggie says we'll know about their online plan by the end of the week, lets just wait until then.

They didn't say it was EA, but it certainly seems it could be. Why else would Riccitello get up there and talk about how great the online stuff will be?

If it's EA you can expect in-game DLC stores like in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, ways for developers to offer pre-order DLC and cross-game DLC, and probably paying $10 to play online with used games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Will unlock if or when details of the online arrangement become available and are pertinent to thread's premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom