• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyonce - 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

4xwvY.png

1. 1+1
2. I Care
3. I Miss You
4. Best Thing I Never Had
5. Party (Ft. Andre 3000)
6. Rather Die Young
7. Start Over
8. Love On Top
9. Countdown
10. End Of Time
11. I Was Here
12. Run The World (Girls)

Beyonce on the leak:

My music was leaked and while this is not how I wanted to present my new songs, I appreciate the positive response from my fans. When I record music I always think about my fans singing every note and dancing to every beat. I make music to make people happy and I appreciate that everyone has been so anxious to hear my new songs.

The album is really good. Been on my playlist all day. I'm loving it.

My favorite tracks so far are 1+1, Best Thing I Never Had, Party and End of Time. The other tracks need to grow on me more. But I'm liking each track so far. (except Who Run the World)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
spindashing said:
damn it Andre 3k give us that album...

i have been saying that for years. i want a new damn album. everytime he features on something, he destroys it...

spindashing said:
damn it Andre 3k give us that album...

I don't expect much from Andre 3k anymore. The guy is a shell of his former self. This is what happens when you start dating Erykah Badu. First Common, now Andre 3k.

TheOddOne

tycoonheart said:
I don't expect much from Andre 3k anymore. The guy is a shell of his former self. This is what happens when you start dating Erykah Badu. First Common, now Andre 3k.
I thought she was fucking Jay Electronica?

Concept17 said:
Should probly shave dem pits.
LOL, can't unsee now.

This album is so chill, a welcome counterpoint to the loudness of the likes of Gaga and Katy Perry and Britney. It's like Beyonce decided "Fuck the charts, I wanna do ME!"

I absolutely adore "Countdown" - what a blazing track.

Here are my rankings:

5 STAR:

- End of Time (Tribal, mellow, and catchy)
- Countdown (Fusing the clunky urban sounds of B'Day with the sass of Sasha Fierce)
- Start Over (Reminds me of an Adele track; her voice soars on this)
- Best Thing I Never Had (Irreplaceable Part 2)
- Love on Top (Peppy Motown Ballad, the continuously increasing pitch toward the end had me queening out quite hard)

4 STAR:

- I Care
- 1+1
- Who Run The World (Girls)

3 STAR:

- I Miss You
- I Was Here

2 STAR:

- Party
- Rather Die Young

End of Time, Countdown and Love on Top are by far my favorites. Great tracks.

In light of that trailer for a documentary on how black women are being told that black is ugly, this cover is quite something. Looks like a slightly pale white woman.

Majmun

Well, there are different kinds of black skin tones.

ahCcd.jpg

Beyonce has her mother's skin tone. A more pale skin.

HW5FU.png

gf4f6.jpg

I've seen white people with darker skin.

Blooper

Neo Member
I really like this. Kinda wish "Countdown" was the first single.

"Party" and "Run The World" are the only ones I dislike a bunch, which is pretty great.

Second said:
Well, there are different kinds of black skin tones.

I've seen white people with darker skin.

Yeah, I guess I never payed enough attention. She always seemed lighter, but that last picture you posted really looks like a pale white woman.

Majmun

Awesome tracks:

- 1+1
- I miss u
- Best thing I never had
- End of time
- Countdown
- Rather die young
- I was here

Good tracks:

- Party
- I care
- Start Over
- Love on top

Average:

- Run the World

Only Run the world is average. The rest are good songs.
This record rocks so much. Very refreshing. End of time should definitely be the next single after Best thing I never had. That song is killer.

Salsa

Cover is bad. Her being in front of her own name makes it look like a magazine cover, Vogue or something

The cover would've been hugely improved if they'd simply removed her name entirely.
Just her image and the small '4' would've worked great.

As for the album, Countdown is fantastic, no?
Should be a single for sure!
As for the rest, well, it's good stuff but nothing I can get too enthusiastic about.
It was all pleasant enough but there's nothing that makes me want to return to it, at all.

Would've been so much more interesting (though entirely different) if she had actually worked with Switch and Diplo.

nib95

Banned
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
The cover would've been hugely improved if they'd simply removed her name entirely.
Just her image and the small '4' would've worked great.

Agreed, except you can barely tell it's Beyonce from the pic. So they'd have to use a more obvious pic.

Salsa

nib95 said:
Agreed, except you can barely tell it's Beyonce from the pic. So they'd have to use a more obvious pic.

They always get a sticker saying "Beyonce's New Album!" or some shit like that on the cover when there's no title in the actual cover art.

Majmun

Cover of the Deluxe Edition:

yU1Xp.jpg

The extra tracks:

1. Lay Up Under Me
2. Schoolin' Life
3. Dance For You
4. Run The World (Girls) (Kaskade Club Remix)
5. Run The World (Girls) (RedtopClub Remix)
6. Run The World (Girls) (Jochen Simms Club Remix)

What's with all the remixes of that shitty song, ugh.

Pon De Floor remixes could never top the original. This track is pretty much the same so I'd imagine the remixes are freaking terrible.

Anyways I haven't listened to this album but I'm pretty sure End of Time will be my favorite song on it. Loved how mellow it was.

Londa

Banned
The Orange said:
In light of that trailer for a documentary on how black women are being told that black is ugly, this cover is quite something. Looks like a slightly pale white woman.
So a black person that is lighter in tone should never do shit because of one movie coming out?

nib95

Banned
1+1 - 4/10
I Care - 6/10
I Miss You - 5/10
Best Thing I Never Had - 7.5/10
Party - 6/10
Rather Die Young - 6/10
Start Over - 8/10
Love On Top - 4/10
Countdown - 6/10
End of Time - 5/10
I Was Here - 7.5/10
Run the World - 5/10

Bonus tracks:

Lay Up Under Me - 7/10
Schoolin, Life - 7/10
Dance For You - 6/10

Run The World (Kascade Club Mix) - 6/10
Run The World (RedTop Club Mix) - 7/10
Run The World (Jochen Simms Club Mix) - 5/10

Overall a decidedly average album where the vast majority of lyrical content is about love and her relationship(s). The lack of variety and creativity transcends the lyrical content through to the music itself. Very little that stands out or really pushes things, where it does try, it often stumbles or confuses. Reason I've rated most above average is because of her fantastic voice and refined production, otherwise, not really feeling it. There are one or two good to great songs mind.

This is just off one play through mind. Might take more time for me to adjust to some of them, though pop diva music isn't generally my cup of tea, but I've tried to rate in an open minded way.

Overall - 6.5/10

The Orange said:
For fuck sake.. she's bathing in sunlight. It's not like she bleeched her fucking skin. Trouble seeking dramaqueen.

Sebulon3k said:
YOU GOT THE SWAG SAUCE DRIPPING SWAGU
Kanye is the king of dumbass lines but holy fuck this one was particularly bad!!
It's crazy how a track with Beyonce, Kanye & Andre 3000 is amongst the weakest on the whole album...

I guess I shouldn't really rate this cd, because obviously it isn't for me. I'm sure it's a good album in its own right, but the overal genre (power ballads with some soul influences) are definitely not my thing. It all sounds like whining to me.

The only song that stands out as okay (not that it's a spectacular song imo either), is End of Time. It's like Who Runs This World, but not godawful.

Majmun

I've listened to this album over 20 times now. If I'd have to rate all of the songs, it would probably be something like this:

1+1 7/10
I Care 8/10
I Miss You 9/10
Best Thing I Never Had 8/10
Party (Ft. Andre 3000) 5/10
Rather Die Young 8/10
Start Over 8/10
Love On Top 7/10
Countdown 8/10
End Of Time 9/10
I Was Here 8/10
Run The World (Girls) 5/10
Lay Up Under Me - 7/10
Schoolin, Life - 8/10
Dance For You - 7/10

Album overal 8/10 ****/*****, 80% or whatever.

The album is very constant in quality. Probably the best Beyonce album, together with the debut Dangerously in Love.

It's a definite must for rnb/soul lovers.

Swag

So honestly Party is probably my favorite song, just cause of.

You got the swag sauce, your dripping swagu

Ridiculous.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Been listening to this album lately. I'd rank the tracks something like this...

Great tracks:
- I Care (5 Stars)
- Start Over (5 Stars)
- End of Time (5 Stars)
- I Was Here (4.5 Stars)

Good tracks:
- I Miss You (4 Stars)
- Rather Die Young (4 Stars)
- Love On Top (4 Stars)
- Best Thing I Never Had (3.5 Stars)
- Countdown (3.5 Stars)

Average:
- 1+1 (3 Stars)

Don't Like:
- Run the World (2.5 Stars)
- Party (2 Stars)

I can totally sing along to the fast part in End of Time. Iwannaprovidethislovinythatyouregivingiaintfrontininthisloveohcanyouletmeloveyoufromyourheadtotoe!!

Seems like most people are saying the album is average to meh. Those mixed reviews plus the not particularly impressive sales numbers makes me wonder if Beyonce's popularity is simply a very well done product of marketing. She has her hands in a lot of pots from films to makeup but clearly isn't close to Gaga's level of popularity.

I'm not denying Beyonce is a superstar but it just seems like she's not where she could be. I remember hearing the original idea for the album was to capitalize on the vapid Eurotrash techo craze Gaga and others have been pimping. But for the most part the album sounds like a...standard r&b album with some dance thrown in (at least from the itunes clips I've heard, I haven't heard the album). Given the massive marketing onslaught you'd think she'd be dominating the charts right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom