• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 114: Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Water

Submissions are due by Monday, June 27th at 11:59 PM EDT.

Voting begins Tuesday June 28th at 12:00 AM EDT and ends Wednesday June 29th at 11:59 PM EDT.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9661131&postcount=102

i like the theme! i'm in the middle of the rainy season in a city with a whole bunch of rivers, so i should be able to get something down...

tokkun

It's been a few years since I've submitted to these assignments, and I'm not too fond of the addition of the < 800px rule.

Stalfos

tokkun said:
It's been a few years since I've submitted to these assignments, and I'm not too fond of the addition of the < 800px rule.
Why? Hasn't that always been in place so everyone can view the entire image on screen while browsing through the thread? A lot of times people will include a link to a larger version as well.

2lu6i3b.jpg

Canon 7D, 1/8000s, f/5.6, ISO 1000

tokkun said:
It's been around since Assignment 32 at the beginning of 2008. It keeps the page load reasonable (not too much of a concern with the recent lower turnouts,) allows you to see the entire image without scrolling, and keeps the rules simple (no separate rule for landscape vs portrait - keep in mind that there was someone who actually asked "Which side is the long side?") Posters can always link to larger versions.

But as often mentioned in rule discussions, this isn't a dictatorship, these are just the rules which the community has settled on. Do you have some compelling reason to kill this particular rule?

tokkun

Squirrel Killer said:
But as often mentioned in rule discussions, this isn't a dictatorship, these are just the rules which the community has settled on. Do you have some compelling reason to kill this particular rule?

I took a picture for the assignment and I didn't want to resize that small because it would lose a specific detail I wanted visible, and I didn't want to crop it because it would ruin the composition. It also seems somewhat arbitrarily small. If you look at the Q2 photography thread, half the photos on the current page are too large to meet those limits.

The rules don't state that you use larger images if they are externally linked, it only says that they must be less than 800px. If the rule is actually different, it would be good to clarify it.

Gabyskra

Banned
tokkun said:
The rules don't state that you use larger images if they are externally linked, it only says that they must be less than 800px. If the rule is actually different, it would be good to clarify it.

I think the usual flickr link with a smaller version would pose no problem to anyone, really.

tokkun said:
Indeed, they don't. They also don't state that you can't, and in practice, a lot of people do. (In fact, if the people who host their entries on Flickr actually follow Flickr's TOS, they do by default as long as they upload a high res image on Flickr.) I'll clarify that linking to higher res images is allowed in the template in the FAQ. I'm not sure if anyone actually uses that, but it can't hurt.

tokkun said:
It also seems somewhat arbitrarily small. If you look at the Q2 photography thread, half the photos on the current page are too large to meet those limits.
Huge images suck there too.

Plus, it's not arbitrary, it's a size that most people can view without scrolling. I can't remember off-hand in which assignment the size limit last got brought up, but as I recall, the consensus at the time was that the "800px on long edge" limit did three things:

1) Minimized scrolling - This is important because voters are evaluating a number of photos. To evaluate, you need to see the whole thing

2) Kept portrait and landscape orientations on the same level - The conventional wisdom is that a bigger image is better. If landscape could go 1000x800, but portrait could only go up to 640x800 (for the same aspect ratio,) then more people might tend to go for a landscape orientation to get a ~35% bigger photo.

3) Was simple - I wasn't kidding about someone asking about which was the "long side." Now imagine the confusion over a rule like "Portrait orientation no taller than 800px, landscape orientation no wider than 1000px."

Also, I don't recall this being brought up last time, but another "advantage" of the limit is that it somewhat levels the field in terms of equipment. Just yesterday, a friend posted an amazing photo she took at an airshow with her phone, perfect composition, coloration, emotion. I'd take that 640x480 thing of beauty over a 3888x2592 piece of crap photo I took any day of the week. And I think that fits with the intent of these assignments, it's not about who has the sharpest glass, it's about encouraging people to get out and give their photographer's eye a little workout.

tokkun said:
I took a picture for the assignment and I didn't want to resize that small because it would lose a specific detail I wanted visible, and I didn't want to crop it because it would ruin the composition.
I understand not wanting to compromise your artistic choice. I'd suggest two options:

1) Resize and post the 800xX (where X<800px) version, include a link to the high res version, and mention that the particular detail is more clear in the high res version. I know a number of people have done exactly that and no one's complained

2) Use the size limit to hone your artistic vision. The detail gets lost in your preferred composition? Perhaps the detail stands on its own under a different composition.

This might not be the right place to ask for advice, but would Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Student and Teacher Edition be good editing software for someone with zero experience? My friend who is a photographer recommended CS5 but I really dont want to spend 200 dollars on an unproven thing.

terrdactycalsrock said:
This might not be the right place to ask for advice, but would Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Student and Teacher Edition be good editing software for someone with zero experience? My friend who is a photographer recommended CS5 but I really dont want to spend 200 dollars on an unproven thing.
CS5 is far from unproven, it's the best. But lightroom is easier to get in to and a great piece of software. Just follow some video turorials online (youtube, adobe, etc) and you'll learn fast and you'll enjoy fast.

pringles

UnluckyKate said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2lu6i3b.jpg[IMG]

Canon 7D, 1/8000s, f/5.6, ISO 1000[/QUOTE]
I guess I have to be the thread police; I happened to see that according to the exif-data this photo wasn't taken during the assignment period (June 18-27) which is one of the requirements for any photos posted. Sorry, it's a very nice pic though.

mclaren777

terrdactycalsrock said:
I would actually recommend Lightroom over Photoshop, though the ideal situation is having both.

CrankyJay

Banned
pringles said:
I guess I have to be the thread police; I happened to see that according to the exif-data this photo wasn't taken during the assignment period (June 18-27) which is one of the requirements for any photos posted. Sorry, it's a very nice pic though.

Kate is unlucky indeed.

Always-honest said:
CS5 is far from unproven, it's the best. But lightroom is easier to get in to and a great piece of software. Just follow some video turorials online (youtube, adobe, etc) and you'll learn fast and you'll enjoy fast.

Thanks, I'll start grabbing turtoils right now :)

pringles said:

Crap. Will try to retake it then.

snap0212

Tried something different. I always thought these pictures where water looked like fire were edited with Photoshop. Seems like I was wrong. :)

Programs used: IrfanView to flip it vertically. \o/

tbtZX.jpg

Sorry @UnluckyKate but you need to change the photo by the time ending the assignment or your picture has to be disregarded, sorry.

And for the rest who have posted photos, thanks very much, it seems that this assignment has brought back tha Fotos-Gaffers back, and by that i can only say GODDAMN at all the photos submitted, i don´t think i have a chance against any of you, all of the photos are gorgeous, damn :(

Awesome. Been looking for a way to get started taking photos again. Should have started this earlier.

Will take something tonight/tomorrow.

pringles

Scythian Empire said:
Can I still submit a photo even if it was just one day out of the time frame?
It would be totally fine by me atleast, this isn't nazi-germany and with the low participation lately I don't we need to be that strict on all rules.. Kate's photo was almost two months old, but if it's just a matter of hours it's cool I'd say. I think the threadstarter should have the final word however.

Scythian Empire said:
Can I still submit a photo even if it was just one day out of the time frame?

Yeah i personally don´t mind, because it was only some hours of difference, totally a different case than UnluckyKate, so for me do it, but ther is a member Squirrel Killer that knows more about the rules than myself, but for me i don´t think is an issue, go for it, we will see later.

isn't the point of the rule that you have to go out and shoot with the assignment in mind, though? i mean i don't want to be overly strict if no-one else is, but it seems to me that being a few hours outside the assignment period is essentially the same as a couple of months.

pringles

345triangle said:
isn't the point of the rule that you have to go out and shoot with the assignment in mind, though? i mean i don't want to be overly strict if no-one else is, but it seems to me that being a few hours outside the assignment period is essentially the same as a couple of months.
you have a point, but even if one submits a photo on the last day of the period it's impossible to say if it was taken specifically with the assignment in my mind, same goes if it's posted 1 hour after the thread goes up. My feeling is that right now participation should be encouraged even if it means easing up on the rules ever so slightly.

tokkun

345triangle said:

I agree. The purpose of these threads is the assignment aspect and the intent. It is a different process to think about the theme, plan, and execute an entry than to look at a picture you have already taken and say "oh, that has 'water' in it".

In many ways, I think the conceptual part is more interesting than the technical side, to see what different people think up as the best way to capture the theme.

tokkun said:
I agree. The purpose of these threads is the assignment aspect and the intent. It is a different process to think about the theme, plan, and execute an entry than to look at a picture you have already taken and say "oh, that has 'water' in it".

In many ways, I think the conceptual part is more interesting than the technical side, to see what different people think up as the best way to capture the theme.

I agree about having the rules. No point in having any if there isn't a cut off.
Otherwise what about something taken 2 days before? Then 3 days? Maybe a week?

Where is the cut-off and who decides?

It would be interesting for me to have the photo's taken just outside posted in the thread to see the different ideas but I think they should be excluded from the voting. Maybe post with a bolded bit of text above saying 'To be Excluded' or something?!
Or would that makes things too complicated?

Kamakazie! said:
I agree about having the rules. No point in having any if there isn't a cut off.
Otherwise what about something taken 2 days before? Then 3 days? Maybe a week?

Where is the cut-off and who decides?

It would be interesting for me to have the photo's taken just outside posted in the thread to see the different ideas but I think they should be excluded from the voting. Maybe post with a bolded bit of text above saying 'To be Excluded' or something?!
Or would that makes things too complicated?

Well at least the photo posted by UnluckyKate will be excluded because the picture was taken like a week apart from the time lapse of the assignment.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
raspberry-800.jpg

Camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 300 mm
ISO Speed 200

Wow, amazing pics guys!!
My son was playing with a soaker today. He tried to shoot my ass with it, but i was hiding behind glass. Thought it could be funny for the thread.

x54m1h.jpg

Date: 06/26/11
Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Sigma 17-70 @ 48mm
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter Speed: 1/250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom