• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #77 - "The Masks We Wear"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme- "The Masks We Wear"

Word Limit: 3000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, June 29th by 11:59 PM Pacific to my PM box with a post in the thread stating that you submitted it.

Voting begins Thursday, June 30th, and goes until Sunday, July 03th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Anonymous

All entries that choose to follow the secondary objectives must be PMed or e-mail to me, and I will post them. The identity of the writer will be revealed when I post the winners. This is invite to experimentation, to a story free of the burden of our history together. This is not an invitation to be rude or mean beyond the standard dickery that we happy assholes embody. So have fun, write baggage free, and try not to make it obvious who you are.

If you have
Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- YOU MUST VOTE in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Irish

Fucking awesome. Like really fucking awesome. Congratulations, Crow, for being awesome. I wonder how many people I will recognize. We have some pretty distinct styles around here.

Next challenge, the word count will inflate to 5,000. :O

Too bad the voting has already ended. :/

Cyan

Banned
Great concept! Also love the blending between the theme and the secondary.

I think most of us will be recognizable, but it should be fun nonetheless.

Also, grats crow!

Irish

crowphoenix said:
Lone_Prodigy's the one you guys should be praising. His idea was just too good to pass up.

Interesting. Barely reading these threads is already coming back to bite me.

Cyan

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Lone_Prodigy's the one you guys should be praising. His idea was just too good to pass up.
Right on. Although it has been suggested before by a few people. Looking forward to trying it out!

ronito

Very interesting. Though I think my chances for entering are 50/50.
Getting ready for Vacay soon and other projects I'm working on are getting complicated/taking off.

But Imma try.

iavi

Awesome theme. There's a ton that can be done with this one. The secondary is also an absolutely incredible idea.

Cyan

Banned
Should we PM votes too, to avoid process-of-elimination guessing? :p

Also, don't forget to change the other two dates in the OP!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
crowphoenix said:
That'd be fine by me, but then I have all the power in the world in this thread. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edit: Fixed. ;)
And crowphoenix wins again! :p

Ashes

Banned
Congrats Crow. Cool theme.

First thing I thought was to try and emulate somebody else's style, but then I thought: 'meh', It's a safe bet a few people are going to do that. And so I started putting my story together, in my own way... and it's just not working out. I've been trying for a couple of hours now, and I'm getting nowhere. So I'll read and vote, but I think I'm out...

You never know though... I'm trying to get in a piece for the poetry thread, and after that I might come back to this...

Good luck to everyone else.

Ashes

Banned
And there I thought I did... :p

then I'm in, I guess??? I'll try somethin after the weekend then... Last couple of weeks have been pretty bad...

ronito

Hey guys, how do you feel about making posts with no real point in order to keep bumping this so more people can see it? Because I think it's a piss poor thing to do.

iavi

ronito said:
Hey guys, how do you feel about making posts with no real point in order to keep bumping this so more people can see it? Because I think it's a piss poor thing to do.

Perfect.

Ironically enough, I was actually going to bump it with a question.

If I could add to that awesome secondary objective, I'd suggest that we try to guess who's piece it is while we're crit'n. I feel like it'd be a pretty fun way to see if your writing has become all that recognizable which... could be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

kehs

Banned
ronito said:

I've done my part at least 6 times.

Puddles

Banned
I'm finally home after circling the entire globe, so I might just start entering these challenges. I started writing for the last one, but for some reason I thought the due date was a day later than it was. Won't make that mistake again.

Ashes

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Yeah, I only count three!

Alternate accounts?

I can't keep up.. Some many people boast about having alternate accounts in the fictional threads... Fiction is... Well I guess it comes with the territory... Good thing mods keep away...

ronito

So Hobbes and I were talking about memorable pieces here. What are some of the pieces you remember the most?

For me DnD's "Venus Rising" is probably the most memorable for me.
I remember Hobbes' story about the playground fight.
Scribble's walk/don't walk story.
Funnily enough Timedog's entries all sorta stick out, but really the one that sticks out the most is the serious one about the sculptor because he was trying so hard to not go all over the place.
Oh and there's Crow's story about the kid and the wall and the christmas tree
Ashes sexy robot story
Tim's immigrant story.
Tangent's escalator butt

So many great stories.

Irish

Man, I don't think I remember any of those. I need to reread through all the challenges again.

For me, one story that has always kinda stood out was one that I would like to revisit with some changes. In fact, it inspired my idea for one of the 'Anniversary Challenges' where a person would go back through all of the challenges and pick a story to rewrite/adapt.

bakemono- Under Old Silenus' Dome

ronito said:
Who would dare do something as foolish as all of that?

Irish said:
In fact, it inspired my idea for one of the 'Anniversary Challenges' where a person would go back through all of the challenges and pick a story to rewrite/adapt

Pretty good idea. I would rewrite the donkey story and make it a clean tale of human-animal friendship and bonding.

ronito

Tim the Wiz said:
Pretty good idea. I would rewrite the donkey story and make it a clean tale of human-animal friendship and bonding.
to be fair one could argue it was all about human-animal bonding.

ronito said:
to be fair one could argue it was all about human-animal bonding.

swtm3q.jpg

Cyan

Banned
ronito said:
So Hobbes and I were talking about memorable pieces here. What are some of the pieces you remember the most?

For me DnD's "Venus Rising" is probably the most memorable for me.
I remember Hobbes' story about the playground fight.
Scribble's walk/don't walk story.
Funnily enough Timedog's entries all sorta stick out, but really the one that sticks out the most is the serious one about the sculptor because he was trying so hard to not go all over the place.
Oh and there's Crow's story about the kid and the wall and the christmas tree
Ashes sexy robot story
Tim's immigrant story.
Tangent's escalator butt

So many great stories.
A few of the ones we mentioned:

DND - "Catching Venus"
Great Rumbler - "John and Robot John" (I honestly couldn't say why this one has stuck with me so long, but it really captured my imagination)
Think we mentioned this one too: ronito - "3.6" ;)

Irish said:
Man, I don't think I remember any of those. I need to reread through all the challenges again.

For me, one story that has always kinda stood out was one that I would like to revisit with some changes. In fact, it inspired my idea for one of the 'Anniversary Challenges' where a person would go back through all of the challenges and pick a story to rewrite/adapt.

bakemono- Under Old Silenus' Dome
Where the hell is bakemono, anyway?

For my money, his best might be this one: "Glass Coffin"

P.S. The FAQ is the best starting point for more recent stuff, but if you ever want to look over some of our older stories, go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20955767#post20955767

And yes, I intend to do that again when we hit #100. :)

Irish

Oh, I've read through them all (the FAQ is extremely useful), but I just have trouble remembering them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom