• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shutting down Battlefield 2 360, Need For Speed and Tiger Woods servers

Chaplain

Lock if old.

http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2011/7/12/eas_next_server_shut_downs/

As of August and October this year, the following games will no longer feature online support:

August 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

ARMY OF TWO for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
ARMY OF TWO Demo for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2142 Demo for PC
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat Demo for Xbox 360
Medal of Honor Airborne for PlayStation Portable
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
NASCAR 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)
NCAA Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Need for Speed Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360
Need for Speed Undercover for PlayStation Portable;
SKATE for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

October 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You should have a mod fix the title because Battlefield 2 is a PC title and completely different from BF2 Modern Combat and the title was completely misleading because of that.

Also, there would be a shit storm if they did that to actual BF2.

Stallion Free said:
Also, there would be a shit storm if they did that to actual BF2.

Don't think that would matter too much since anyone can make a server? I don't think i've ever played on EA servers.

Arnie

Thread title needs changing, shame on you OP, Battlefield 2 isn't mentioned anywhere in OP.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat is but that's an entirely different beast and a shit game. There's no PS3 version shut down because there's no PS3 version. In fact the 360 version is just a port of the PS2 version. Awful game, kill it with fire.

Stallion Free said:
Also, there would be a shit storm if they did that to actual BF2
That's why I came into the thread, I was about to kick up a fuss. I still play BF2.

Zzoram

This is why PC gamers are opposed to publisher controlled servers being the only option. They can just shut down the servers to a game when the sequel is out to "encourage" gamers to buy the new game.

StuBurns

Banned
Zzoram said:
This is why PC gamers are opposed to publisher controlled servers being the only option. They can just shut down the servers to a game when the sequel is out to "encourage" gamers to buy the new game.
They aren't closing down BC2, this isn't that situation at all.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Noisepurge said:
Don't think that would matter too much since anyone can make a server? I don't think i've ever played on EA servers.
But you'd have to search around for their IP to enter manually since without EA's servers you'd not be able to get a server list at all.

I imagine all the rank unlocks wouldn't function anymore either.

Edit: hell, maybe the whole game wouldn't function? You still have to login to EA's servers before playing, right? Gotta love logins.

Anyway, as long as it's decently popular they won't be shutting it down. They still get paid from server hosts if they want their server to be ranked.
Zzoram said:
See above, they can still mess up your game pretty bad whether they allow user created servers or not as the company still provides at least some critical functionality.

Zzoram

StuBurns said:
They aren't closing down BC2, this isn't that situation at all.

I know, but they can do it for Bad Company 2. The only servers being run for that are either EA or through an EA-partnered server hosting company that individuals are renting. If EA decides to end Bad Company 2, they can order all the servers shut down.

i dont know how much overhead is requires on EA's part for bf2's infrastructure to stay up. can't be much since hell, even the bf1942 demo is still showing servers on the server browser.

Emitan

Fuck you, EA. Why don't you just host your servers the same fucking way everyone else does?
I was the only person who played Lord of the Rings: Conquest online but I was still heartbroken when its servers went down a year after it came out

StuBurns

Banned
Zzoram said:
I know, but they can do it for Bad Company 2. The only servers being run for that are either EA or through an EA-partnered server hosting company that individuals are renting. If EA decides to end Bad Company 2, they can order all the servers shut down.
They could, but it doesn't make good business sense to do so, so they won't. The way EA are going, they're probably ramping up for a single unified cross game online system on all services, and if you lingered on BC2 three years from you'd probably be inordinate with "play BF3 (or whatever is out, probably BC3) for free this weekend!" shit constantly. Forcing the consumers hand isn't good for either party ultimately.

They shut down servers because no one cares about them, not because they are trying to force a community to move. It's all yearly sports games that users buy every year for roster updates and old crap no one cares about.

No question the PC alternative of total freedom is massively better, but I don't think for any 'pressuring' reasons. The real reason this is bad form is just for historical documentation reasons, those products are going to be incomplete forever, which is a shame.

This really shouldn't be an allowed thing. There needs to be some kind of Plan B for allowing continued online play of older, less popular games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Joseph Merrick said:
not really. are there even ea servers for bf2?
They could shutdown the master server forcing you to manually find IPs for regular servers. I assume that is part of what they do here when shutting down servers.

Kulock said:
This really shouldn't be an allowed thing. There needs to be some kind of Plan B for allowing continued online play of older, less popular games.
Wouldn't that allow EA to shut the server down before it even potentially goes up?

That said I wonder how if a private company could make a profitable business with the model of providing server access to older games removed by their companies (working as a partner with the publisher).

Billychu said:
They're talking about Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on 360 not Battlefield 2 on PC, right? RIGHT?!

they are shutting down service for games barely anyone plays. last i checked bf2 has around ~200 servers up filled with people all the time. i would say it's activity rivals bc2.

NHale

NCAA Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Awesome. I can understand shutting down 2 year old sports games when you release a new game every year, but this was the last NCAA Basketball they released. Just stupid.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10? Really? That's not that old and my dad is still playing the shit out of it.

Madden 10 as well? Really EA? I wonder how many of these games truly have low numbers of players and how many they are just trying to funnel into newer games. After all if the cancel these 2010 sports titles and people buy '11 versions, they'll make a good bit of money off online pass sales.

Top Bottom