• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. 'Splosion Man |OT| Man, I feel like a woman

Ataturk

release610.jpg

Ms. 'Splosion Man

boxartlg.jpg

Platform: XBLA
Price: 800 points
Developer: Twisted Pixel
Release Date: 13th July 2011

Screens

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

Videos

Trailer
GiantBomb Quick Look

Reviews

IGN - 9/10
Another excellent, thrilling platformer from the insane team at Twisted Pixel. This one is a little harder than the first, so be warned that you are in for a serious challenge. But there is more creativity packed into one Ms Splosion Man level than many other games can muster in their entirety.

1up - A
It's the kind of balls-out platforming design I'll eat by the spoonful, without any of the nagging at the back of my head that I should be beating the rest of my Xbox Live friends' times instead of just having fun...It's punishing, but still so strangely addictive.

GiantBomb - 3/5
Given all the improvements and additions and craziness, though, it's a little disappointing that I didn't enjoy PLAYING this sequel as much as the first one.

Eurogamer - 7/10
Twisted Pixel manages to embellish what is undoubtedly the studio's strongest property without spoiling it. Ms. 'Splosion Man may lack the impact of its predecessor and the taut focus of rival Super Meat Boy, but it nevertheless offers an explosive start to the summer season of Xbox Live Arcade releases, a game surprisingly freshened by lipstick and a bow.

Edge - 7/10
this insistence on accuracy comes into its 
own when revisiting levels to post faster times – accompanied by a ghost of your previous performance or one downloaded from the leaderboards – and here the game comes close to Super Meat Boy’s levels of addictiveness. The multiplayer levels are also a riotous inclusion, even if locating your character among four sets of explosions can occasionally prove too difficult. Ms Splosion Man might have done little to fix the 
first game’s flaws, but it confidently follows up on its raucous appeal.

snoopeasystreet said:
I'd say it'll still come to steam but not day and date.

Who is publishing it? I thought MS published the first Splosion Man. I know they are publishing Twisted Pixel's Kinnect game.

TimmiT

I loved the first Splosion Man. Sadly, my Xbox 360 red ringed just when my warranty expired a few months ago so I won't be able to play this unless the rumor about it coming to Steam is true.

TheOddOne

EternalGamer said:
Who is publishing it? I thought MS published the first Splosion Man. I know they are publishing Twisted Pixel's Kinnect game.
IGN says this one is publisher by them too. It a timed-thing I guess.

definitely ready for this game!!!!! been playing the first one to brush up my skills. i cant believe i didnt know of the greatness that is multiplayer until now. really sad seeing that i day 1'ed the game.

webrunner

Ataturk said:
It's the kind of balls-out platforming design I'll eat by the spoonful, without any of the nagging at the back of my head that I should be beating the rest of my Xbox Live friends' times instead of just having fun...It's punishing, but still so strangely addictive.

Surely that should be "Ovaries out"?

see5harp

Hopefully the beta helped work out some online kinks because the first game was actually quite awesome for coop. $9.99 is a guaranteed buy regardless.

BigAT

The only thing giving me slight hesitation from picking it up tomorrow is waiting for it on Steam. I was in the beta though and can confirm that game is excellent in every way.

AEREC

Im all over this...loved the first splosion man and still play it every once in a while. Glad it's only 800 points as well...Im suprised they are not charging 1200.

Ledsen

I hated the sluggish controls in the first game. Are they different in this one?

edit: I guess I'm not strictly talking about the controls, but more about overall character movement.

TimmiT

ArjanN said:
There were Steam achievements and everything. It's definately coming, just later.
Fuck yes. Now I'm incredibly hyped for this game. I hope this means Twisted Pixel's other games will also come to Steam.

bolt7

Banned
Buying this shit tomorrow. Loved the first one, but the levels were far too same-y. From what I see of Ms. Splosion Man, that's been fixed.

Sean

Banned
Splosion Man was one of my favorite XBLA games. I'll be buying this without even downloading the trial. Love Twisted Pixel's sense of humor.

Glad they kept the price point at 800 points too rather than bumping it up to 1200MSP.

ShyGuy

It's July 13 here in Australia and I still can't buy it!!!

So excited....can't wait till it becomes available to buy on xbox.com (I'm at work)

Top of my priority list, this one!

ShyGuy

Has anyone anywhere in the world been able to actually buy it via xbox.com?

I'm finding it hard NOT to keep hitting "refresh" on my browser to see it available to actually buy...all I see is a link to the free trailer video!

Glad to see this hitting at 800 msp. I wonder how well Comic Jumper did for them at 1200 points before it permanently dropped to 800.

Loved the original, I'll def need to check this out. And another +1 vote here for the Steam version (of both).

Aside from a few control inconsistencies I really loved the original and it was great getting the par times. I don't think I'll ever get much into the leaderboards but it's a solid and fresh platformer so I might be spending those MS points tonight.

Edit: Looks like I'll be spending those points tomorrow night...

Captain N

I don't know why, but it bothers me when I see people playing XBLA titles before they hit if I don't have it too. I enjoyed the first one, but thought Comic Jumper was a complete miss. The demo will be played in the morning.

Didn't complete the first one but had a pretty good time with it anyway. $10 is more than fair so I'll probably pick it up. I'm like an apologetic abused wife with regards to bonkers-hard 2d platformers, so I'm hoping the difficulty is high enough for me to feel punished like the worthless, shameful gamer I am.

bubnbob

Banned
ShyGuy said:
Has anyone anywhere in the world been able to actually buy it via xbox.com?

I'm finding it hard NOT to keep hitting "refresh" on my browser to see it available to actually buy...all I see is a link to the free trailer video!

uh... its not out until tomorrow.

daffy

Banned
User33 said:
I honestly think I'd prefer a console with just XBLA games over regular releases.

Definitely excited for this.
Or you could just get both like it is now.

Will download after breakfast.

Top Bottom