• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify |OT| All the music, all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

*** Text below was written mid-2011 and song count and statistics is higher today ***

4D0u6.png

Spotify launched in 2008 and wowed Europe. Now available in the US. Spotify is an application which lets you stream music on your computer or mobile phone, with a 15 million songs strong library. You don't buy any songs, with a subscription you stream them all.

Info
- Company formed in Sweden 2006. The following years launched in various countries in Europe. Now available in the US.
- Available on Mac and PC, Linux version in public beta.
- Phone app available for Android, Symbian, iOS & more.
- 1/6th of the company is owned by record labels.
- The software uses OGG Vorbis for file compression. Sound quality in 160kbps (Free) and 320kbps (Paid sub.)
- Spotify is being integrated into hardware. Lately both Onkyo and Logitech (Squeezebox).
- Keep track of the news on the official blog.​

Subscription models
3qCoT.png

Further comparison at http://www.spotify.com/us/get-spotify/overview/

With an invitation code you'll get the Free package, which has ads. In Europe a big limitation kicks in 6 months after your registration, seems same for the US.​

Mobile app
For this you'll need the $9.99 Premium subscription. All your playlists from your computer are synched with the app. When connected to a wifi network (or 3G if you wish, but it may cost you), you can download your playlists to your phone and play offline. Supported phone models listed here.​

Playlists

Gaming soundtracks
European Spotify has a lot of gaming soundtracks, see the Gaming forum. Apparently these aren't up in the US yet, at least not the EA albums. These weren't available at EU launch either, so they'll come soon enough.​

Spotify Versus...
Spotify seems to have the edge in the number of songs. The social integration is more advanced than the competitors too (except rdio, which is similar). All have artist radio. Rhapsody has very little social integration, rdio is pretty similar. If you want to read more, here are some good comparisons thanks to Jayayess1190: One, Two, Three.​

Q&A
How do I get in?
If you live in Europe (Finland, France, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and the UK) you should be able to register straight on the site. For Americans, you need a code. Try this. Also see the key begging thread. Every Premium paying member gets one invitation code each month, so there are plenty of Europeans who can offer codes.

How do the playlists and Stars work?
You can Star any song by clicking on the star symbol next to the song name. The Star playlist is then available on the left. Use this as you wish, but it's primarly used as your Primary playlist. Some people don't use it at all. You can also create your own playlists. These can be shared to other members. The Drag-And-Drop technique works best to add songs.

Can I Star artists?
No, but you can create a playlist of your favourite artists. Just add one song from each favourite artist and then sort them by Artist. That way each song will work as a shortcut to each artist by clicking on the artist name.

How can I find other people's playlists?
You can integrate your account with your Facebook account and then see your friend's playlists there. There are also a lot of sites where you can share your playlist, like Share My Playlists. There are also websites who create their own playlists for you, like Topsify which lists the most sold singles in different countries. Above this, record labels also create and update their own playlists, like Sony.

How do I shuffle songs from one artists without having to listen to the collaboration albums?
Search for the artist, start a song and then press shuffle. Don't do it through the Artist page.

Why is there no Artist Radio feature available in the US version?
Update: Artist radio has now been added for US users aswell.

How do I search different genres?
Examples: "year:2011", "genre:pop", "label:sony" are all possible. For some strange reason genre:rock isn't. Here are all the 944 genres.

Why are some songs greyed out?
If they are greyed out it means they are not available in your region. It seems like there are multiple copies for different regions. So basically, there's a US version of Born this Way album and one European version. You won't see this when searching for songs, but the "Most played" lists looks a bit wonky right now with a lot of greyed out songs.

How do I see which songs are the most popular atm?
Click "What's new" to the left, then the "Top lists" bar. It will let you list singles and albums by regions.

0A76k.png

Why aren't Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beatles and Metallica available?
Some bands have chosen to not support the digital era. This is not a Spotify exclusive issue (though The Beatles have released their songs on iTunes).

Can I integrate last.fm with Spotify?
Yes, in the Preferences window you can setup last.fm

How do I put songs into my friends playlists?
In order to share a playlist where both can put in songs, you need to make a Collaborative playlist. Create a new playlist, right click on it and press "Collaborative playlist". Then share that playlist with whoever you want to collaborate with.

$5 is too much money, will there be a sale?
Spotify doesn't do sales, but with some phone companies in Europe you get X amount of free months when you buy a smart phone. Maybe AT&T & CO will catch on.

Is it possible to share a spotify account with family?
You can't use the same account simultaneously, but you are not tied to one computer. If you want to login on Spotify at your friend's house, it's fully possible.

I live in Canada! How can I use it?
Let a friend in America sign up for Premium, it lets you use it abroad. This hasn't been much tested so do it on your own risk, but it seems to work fine.

How often do I update the software?
Spotify updates the client regurarly by itself.​

Now let's share Playlists and keep track of future albums releases! I'll let MThanded start it off from the old thread:
MThanded said:
Working/ finished some playlists this morning.

http://open.spotify.com/user/techaficionado/playlist/6uQc4DnVj6RaMR3sqzSwYo <- Grammy: Best Rap Albums(1996-2011)

http://open.spotify.com/user/techaficionado/playlist/1AhQfmojGbRg46pEcazaNe <- Neptunes Produced Songs(unfinished)

freshair

Nice!

Can you bold the questions though? The mass wall of text makes it hard to discern.

[edit] perfect. thanksssss

Thanks Manager! This is exactly what we needed. We can share playlists and such!

Edit::
Here is my "current listening" playlist! This is a constantly changing playlist that has what I am currently vibing. It will generally contain wonky pop (my favorite genre), indie rock, some house, some dubstep, and anything else I am feeling. Mostly will have complete albums, because that is how I familiarize myself with artists. Don't know how large I will let it become, but let me know what you think!

Missed opportunity to add something like "Free, unlimited music for (almost) all!" or something to the thread title. I'm sure it would have attracted a lot of people.

Anyway, my music tastes are totally eclectic and random, but I'm looking forward to seeing recommendations for some great, lesser-known artists.

dorkimoe

Disappointed in it so far. I made a playlist and shared it, but unless the files are local or on spotify they cant listen to anything.

Animator

I live in Canada! How can I use it?
Let a friend in America sign up for Premium, it lets you use it abroad (This hasn't been much tested so do it on your own risk).

I am doing this currently and it works fine.

Nugg

I've been using it for two years now, with a premium subscription. Never looked back. It's intuitive, I feel like everything I actually want to listen is on it, and Spotify Mobile is awesome.

I've got a few codes, PM me your email if you need one.

Animator

I cant get the "genre:rock" etc search to work. I can search by year or label but not genre. Any way to do that?

Manager

Why would you do that? said:
Missed opportunity to add something like "Free, unlimited music for (almost) all!" or something to the thread title. I'm sure it would have attracted a lot of people.

You might be right, the other thread had wings so I didn't think it was necessary. I'll let you creative folks come up with a good title and then ask the mods to change it.

Manager

Animator said:
I cant get the "genre:rock" etc search to work. I can search by year or label but not genre. Any way to do that?

Just read that apparently rock doesn't work. genre:blues , genre:jazz works fine but apparently rock doesn't.

I'm not sure they work well anyway. You can search on genre:pop and it still doesn't list many major pop songs...

Here are all the 944 genres:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=psnjFY3R2itsqjinSs9hkZw

Awesome Animals said:
That should probably be in the |OT|

It's already added!

daw840

Weak, I can't listen on my phone without the premium subscription? How many phones and computers can use the same account? I currently have Napster To Go and that provides 3 computers and 3 mobile devices. Works perfect for the wife and I. Both our android phones are on it and she has an MP3 player on it, as well as the laptop and a desktop. Will this let me do a similar thing for 9.99 a month? It would be about half the price...

Spotify used to be pretty damn great, until they created the 10-hour and 5-plays limits. Haven't touched it since.

I assume those are still in effect?

The genre thing doesn't work as well as I'd hope. Mostly because there are way too many of them.

So a search for Genre:Euro-Pop or Genre:Hi-NRG for instance doesn't really do much...

daw840 said:
Weak, I can't listen on my phone without the premium subscription? How many phones and computers can use the same account? I currently have Napster To Go and that provides 3 computers and 3 mobile devices. Works perfect for the wife and I. Both our android phones are on it and she has an MP3 player on it, as well as the laptop and a desktop. Will this let me do a similar thing for 9.99 a month? It would be about half the price...
If I'm correct, Spotify Premium will allow you to use as many devices as you want. However, you can only use 3 devices (computers+phone) in offline mode at a time (i.e. the music is downloaded with you).

So here's my big questions: I currently use Rhapsody for home listening, which I do a good bit of. Is this an upgrade, and, if so, why? All researched facts and unfounded opinions are solicited.

Animator

Suitcase Test said:
Spotify used to be pretty damn great, until they created the 10-hour and 5-plays limits. Haven't touched it since.

It is not a charity. Can't believe people bitch about paying $5 a month for streaming all the music want.

Animator said:
It is not a charity. Can't believe people bitch about paying $5 a month for streaming all the music want.
It's also not free. It has ads. Either you pay and you get pure streaming music, or you don't pay and you get it covered in ads. But somehow the latter needs additional restrictions. :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I was playing some music and a little thing popped up that said "The track will play after this ad" but no ad would play and the music wouldn't start.

:\

I even shut it down and restarted it but that didn't solve anything.

Conciliator said:
So here's my big questions: I currently use Rhapsody for home listening, which I do a good bit of. Is this an upgrade, and, if so, why? All researched facts and unfounded opinions are solicited.

Good quality, and I believe they do have an app for the tvs with internet capabilities and such. The most expensive subscription is $9.99 and that is for unlimited access + iPhone, Android streaming + use of the these things + offline mode.

Here is a better list of things it offers:
https://www.spotify.com/us/about/features/

Suitcase Test said:
It's also not free. It has ads. Either you pay and you get pure streaming music, or you don't pay and you get it covered in ads. But somehow the latter needs additional restrictions. :(
probably because ad revenue doesn't scale with usage., and music labels need to be happy, etc...

SeanR1221

I'm this close to paying the 9.99 premium. I drive about 250 miles a week, so having this on my iPhone would be incredible. Really loving the free version.

To me, this is a lot better than iTunes match, but then again it's a lot more expensive.

NGAMER9

Suitcase Test said:

From what I understand, the US will have a 6 month period without those restrictions on the free version, can anyone confirm this? I thought I read it in the Spotify launch thread.

Edit: I was right, news story here.

Either way, I'm loving it, and I'll probably be upgrading to the $5 version in the near future.

CzarTim

Is there a link to compare 128kbps and 256kbps audio quality to see if it's worth the upgrade? The numbers mean nothing to me.

mike23

Pretty cool so far. Probably won't go to the pay version though. I would if it had a pandora-like feature. It's too much of a pain to discover music without it.

CzarTim

Animator said:
I honestly havent noticed a difference between the free and premium version sound quality wise.
I upgraded just to see. There is definitely a big improvement. Could be better though.

CzarTim said:
Is there a link to compare 128kbps and 256kbps audio quality to see if it's worth the upgrade? The numbers mean nothing to me.

It depends on a lot of different things. Are you listening on your laptop or a phone? Headsets or stereo? 10 dollar in ear headphones or 300 dollar cans?

Also, some people swear not to be able to tell the different while for others it's as clear as day.

You've never made the comparison yourself before? No mp3's lying around?

For me personally, 128 has always been far too low. 192 should be the minimum, but like I said, it depends.

CzarTim

winnarps said:
Any reason to use this service over $3/month Grooveshark Anywhere?
I made the switch mostly because Spotify has such better UI. Not to mention all the poorly labeled and varying quality of Grooveshark. From what I understand Grooveshark is under such legal fire that I doubt it is around this time next year (or at least in it's current form.

Kitschkraft said:
It depends on a lot of different things. Are you listening on your laptop or a phone? Headsets or stereo? 10 dollar in ear headphones or 300 dollar cans?
Also, some people swear not to be able to tell the different while for others it's as clear as day.
For me personally, 128 has always been far too low. 192 should be the minimum, but like I said, it depends.
Thanks. I have Beats, and I can tell a difference. I buy all my music from iTunes or Amazon, so I had no reference of how big of a leap it was.

Kitschkraft said:

I'm going to need to try comparing the two. I've never really noticed, but then, I've never really tried. Question for you though, is cans just slang for over ear headphones? Or does it mean something else?

eznark said:
Awesome, nice OT. Looking forward to trying and hating all of your playlists.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Lee N

Membre
Kitschkraft said:
Yes, but they're using OGG not MP3, the former handles way better at lower bitrates.

Animator

Awesome Animals said:
GAF Playlist
There we go :) I'll add a few songs right now.

EDIT: Wow, I added quite a bit of stuff, all over the map. Feel free to add lots more!

Done, Everybody subscribe to this playlist and contribute. This should go into the OP as well.

Also as an unspoken rule of thumb refrain from adding entire albums or too many songs of the same band because you think they are fucking AWESOME. Add only the songs you love the most, if the song is good it is stupid easy to check the rest of the band on spotify anyway.

Cush

Is there any way to view all the albums by an artist in list form? For example, if I search for The Rolling Stones, it would list just the names of the albums (Exile on Main St, etc.), then I could click on the album to see the songs. The Overview page seems unwieldy to me since it lists the albums + the songs -- it gets way too long for me to efficiently find anything. It would be nice if I could just see a concise overview of the band's discography, then click on an album for more detail.

dvdjamm

I hate when there's a song that's not available in the U.S. and you're not allowed to listen to it...I'm not buying the song,I just want to check it out. Oh well,between this and turntable, I'm good.

GAF Playlist? I'm there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom