• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo making a loss on 3DS hardware following price drop

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/29/3ds_losses/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Bloomberg Japan reports today that the new 3DS price point means Nintendo will incur a loss on every system sold. At a press conference in Osaka today, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata justified this by saying that such major moves were necessary in order to improve fiscal performance next year and beyond.

Nintendo slashed the price of the 3DS earlier today worldwide. In Japan, the system was cut from its launch price of ¥25,000 to ¥15,000. Early adopters who paid the initial price will be given access to 20 free Famicom (NES) and Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games, some exclusively.

In addition to the price cut, Nintendo announced lowered earnings targets for the year. A SMBC senior analyst told Bloomberg that 40% of the lowered revision was due to the 3DS price cut. An analyst as Securities Japan expressed surprise at how quick the price cut came.

The Securities Japan analyst suggested that investors might rush to sell Nintendo stock, although he doesn't believe the stock will drop below 10,000 yen. Nintendo stock ended the day at 14,000 yen, up 0.1% from the day prior. On the 27th, one day before the price cut and earnings report announcements, the stock had temporarily dropped to 13,770 yen, its lowest point since December 2005.

During earnings periods, Nintendo usually holds a Tokyo press briefing the day after its Osaka press briefing. It's likely that will get more information there.

Right, can we please stop quoting bullshit iSupply numbers now?

2264589061_a95e56cf69.jpg

[Nintex]

I'm shocked summer months are slow Nintendo could've just went with $200 and Mario Kart that would've made sense, dropping everything in the 3DS basket doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Nuclear Muffin said:
Right, can we please stop quoting bullshit iSupply numbers now?
We both know they'll keep getting quoted as official information anyway.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I guess someone is going to have to rely on IP a bit more now.
They must have read my post and come to their senses.

Sophia

Looks like they're genuinely worried about where they stand. If it's anything like the Gamecube era, this will be very good for gamers.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Marrshu said:
Looks like they're genuinely worried about where they stand. If it's anything like the Gamecube era, this will be very good for gamers.

F-Zero!

woaw. I hope they made the right gamble with Wii-U.

It's a good thing that Nintendo has both feet back on earth now.
I hope the mario games will pull the 3DS out of the mudd though

balladofwindfishes said:
is this the first time Nintendo has ever sold a system at a loss?

2nd. GCN was sold at a loss for a while when it dropped to $99.

Jocchan said:
We both know they'll keep getting quoted as official information anyway.

At the very least, we could treat them as a banned site (and amend the terms of service here on GAF)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Somnid said:
DSi is almost the same price, who's gonna buy it now?
Those who still don't know the 3DS is not just a DSi with a 3D screen.

The price cut is going to help (the huge divide between DSi and "DSi with 3D screen I don't care about" is almost non-existent), but without ads differentiating the 3DS from its predecessors it could end up not being enough.

Very surprising for Nintendo. However, much needed they were rather lazy with 3DS. While I'm in no way complaining from a business perspective and a consumer perspective I think most were expecting a price drop to $200 not $170 but I'm sure Nintendo knows more than I do on the matter.

Wait what? Wasn't it deduced somewhere that 3DS manufacturing costs are around $110 per unit?
The parts were factored as that much from the cheapest supplier. Like anyone who quotes that has been told there are so many other factors that go into pricing a system. First of all we have no idea the price Nintendo was getting the parts for, there is a ton of preloaded software included in the 3DS and then you also have to factor the price of Nintendo paying employees for years to develop the system. I'm sure there are other factors as well.

Yeah, I never felt comfortable with $103 myself. They were still making a hell of a killing though.
Marrshu said:
We should push them even further to see how far they'll go software wise lol. I'd love to get my hands on a Mother game and F-zero.

Holy shit. That's massive for Nintendo. They must have some cost reduction planned soon. I can't imagine they will sell this for a loss for too long, they have to launch Wii-U, and at its current price the Wii probably isn't too profitable.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The way it was meant to be.

Nintendo got greedy, just feel bad for the consumers duped into buying a 3DS in the launch window.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The price cut should help things, but I wonder how many people are still just waiting for the inevitable redesign.

I mean Nintendo has pretty much trained us to expect redesigns on every single one of their handhelds. Starting from Game Boy Pocket, to the GBC, to the SP, to the Lite and DSi. And in most cases, those redesigns are so important and so key that you'd be crazy not to get them.

Ever since the 3DS was announced, I'd knew that I'd be waiting for the redesign. I know I'm not the only one, and I wonder how many people are just like me and whether this is actually a big contributor to their lack of sales.

I think its the right move for now im sure 3DS lite on way for next e3 so it just to help get them out the door and we still low on games but by end of this year it should be good just in time for xmas

Top Bottom