• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

id Software: Always-on internet is "better for everybody"

LiK

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-10-id-software-on-always-on-internet-debate

Famed first-person shooter developer id Software would love to force gamers to connect to the internet while playing its games.

It would be "better for everybody", creative director Tim Willits told Eurogamer at QuakeCon last week.

Blizzard sparked an outpouring of anger when it announced that upcoming PC game Diablo 3 will not be playable offline.

For Willits, who is applying the finishing touches to shooter Rage before its October launch, Blizzard's decision marks an important step in the evolution of the perception of always connected gaming.

"Diablo 3 will make everyone else accept the fact you have to be connected," he said. "If you have a juggernaut, you can make change. I'm all for that. If we could force people to always be connected when you play the game, and then have that be acceptable, awesome."

Explaining his view, Willits said always being online would enable developers to improve games without intruding on the gamer.

"In the end, it's better for everybody," he said. "Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated. Or there's something new you didn't know about, and you didn't have to click away. It's all automatically there. But it does take juggernauts like [Diablo 3] to make change.

"I'm a big proponent of always connected. I'm always connected. Our fans are always connected.

"There will be a few people who will resent the fact you have to be online to play a single-player game. But it'll change."

Ubisoft, whose controversial DRM strategy demands a persistent online connection for many of its PC titles, has also drawn criticism.

Last month Ubisoft said its strategy had resulted in "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success".

plc268

I don't mind always-on drm that much, since I'm always connected. But, if I get kicked out of my single player game because I have a flaky connection (which I do sometimes), then yea, I get pissed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Of course the attitudes will change. It is, after all, the future.

itsgreen

CozMick said:
Until the servers are bought down a few years later right?

This. This is the main reason why I HATE always on... If they can guarantee that my game will function in 10 years, I am all for it... but since they can't...

Also one of the main reason I don't buy movies or shows online. Who can say that in 10 years the provider I buy my license from is still in business

kswiston

CozMick said:

Not too worried about this with D3 considering that Diablo 2 still has 10s of thousands of players on Bnet 11 years after release, but this is a concern with smaller games.

Nekofrog

Banned
What the fuck is this, a quest to make PCs 100% useless during times of internet outages or laptops in power outages?

"Darn, the power went out. Well I have a few hours left on my laptop so maybe I can play a g -- FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Red

CozMick said:
Any major game would almost certainly be patched to play offline if this is the case.

I disagree with the "always connected" mentality, but losing access to a purchase is not a particular fear of mine.

"Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated. Or there's something new you didn't know about, and you didn't have to click away. It's all automatically there. But it does take juggernauts like [Diablo 3] to make change.
The thing about this though is that 90% of games aren't getting valuable content added post-release. I don't see any reason as to why that would change just because you force the players to always be online.

I'm sure that id, Valve and Blizzard can make it worth it for the player, I know that Ubisoft won't.

Interfectum

ov8RW.gif

Duxxy3

Looks like hackers will continue to have a future and PC games will continue to get heavily pirated.

Moving on...

he's right in praising the concept

too bad isps, server maintenance, and other issues create too many problems. in a perfect world, internet would be solid as a rock and this wouldn't be a concern. but today, it is.

No thanks, if I can't bring my laptop around to places where I don't have wifi, can't play when my inet is down or when moving house or for any other INANE reason that should have no bearing on my pc functioning or not, I'll buy from someone who doesn't give me this problem.

My dvd player doesn't stop working when I don't have cable, same shit.

They are creating a problem and a bunch of what if's where there simply shouldn't be a problem, so FUCK OFF ID/ubi/EA.
We don't need extra strings attached to our purchases.

Crunched said:
Any major game would almost certainly be patched to play offline if this is the case.

I disagree with the "always connected" mentality, but losing access to a purchase is not a particular fear of mine.

but...but......but they would have to spend money to develop an offline upgrade to the engine that stores character data locally!!!

Deadbeat

Banned
This would be devastating to me if id software wasnt an old dinosaur that has to rely on its laurels of making shooters in the 90s to stay relevant.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ISP's and users internet goes down for several reasons. This last week my ISP has been sporadic and I've been disconnected from online games. If the this DRM requires me to be on all the time then I can't support that.

I literally don't care at all about "always-on" one way or another.

I'm always on. The games that I've played that required always on (Assassins Creed II) have never had an issue for me that tied back to the requirement to be "always-on".

legbone

Crunched said:

this. finally a voice of reason. they would almost definitely patch it before taking down the servers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated. Or there's something new you didn't know about, and you didn't have to click away. It's all automatically there. But it does take juggernauts like [Diablo 3] to make change.

It's a shame there's no service out there that provides the same functionality, while still allowing users to play offline if they wish.

legbone said:
this. finally a voice of reason. they would almost definitely patch it before taking down the servers.

Don't put too much faith into that. Ubisoft released a patch for the european version of Anno 1404 last December, and has refused to release it to other parts of the world, or on Steam.

schick85

LiK said:
"In the end, it's better for everybody," he said. "Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated. Or there's something new you didn't know about, and you didn't have to click away. It's all automatically there. But it does take juggernauts like [Diablo 3] to make change.
Don't tell me that's the only reason why it's good for consumers. Is patching games on the PC so much of a chore to do?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Para bailar La Bomba said:
DD will effectively kill DRM ... or will it?

Possibly, but thats not really the point. The future is affordable, reliable, high speed, always connected and possibly wireless internet (the latter may come later). Networking technology and internet connections are only going to get more advanced and deep seated in human society, pending a apocalyptic technology crash.

Its a bit sucky now, but in the future near every game will have an always on network connection and you wont even notice.

legbone said:

Kids don't play with the soccer ball inside.
That's okay mom I'll clean it up if I knock something over.

Or just don't play with the fucking ball inside you know.

Stitch

Gold Member
remember when id were awesome? 12 years ago...

Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated. Or there's something new you didn't know about, and you didn't have to click away. It's all automatically there.

oh, you mean like steam? dickhead!

FoolsRun

Having an always connected mode is an excellent idea. As Willits points out, it makes for easier patching and if developers are looking for ways to improve their games after release, data about the player's experience (where they struggled, which areas were too easy, etc.) can be uploaded as well. I know a lot of players bristle at the thought of their player stats being uploaded to a developer, but many of the big gaming companies like Bungie and Valve already do that, and I feel the impact is generally positive.

But forcing a player to always be connected is a great way to limit your customer base and screw your fans in the process. There are many places that have poor or even non existent internet connections. Having an optional mode is great; having it mandatory is asinine.

Erethian

While there's no doubt a DRM angle to his interest, he seems to be talking more about how it'd allow the developer to constantly stream updates to the user while they're playing.

Duxxy3

EatChildren said:
Possibly, but thats not really the point. The future is affordable, reliable, high speed, always connected and possibly wireless internet (the latter may come later). Networking technology and internet connections are only going to get more advanced and deep seated in human society, pending a apocalyptic technology crash.

Its a bit sucky now, but in the future near every game will have an always on network connection and you wont even notice.

Sure, but right now net connections suck (availability, pricing, network drops) and they are shoving always on single player down our throats. In 15 or 20 years when the entire country is blanked with cheap, wireless, internet nobody will care about always on. But right now it's a bad time.

Tworak

he's obviously right but I feel it's going to take a few years until the general gamer accepts it.

Duxxy3 said:
Sure, but right now net connections suck (availability, pricing, network drops)
this isn't true for me and mine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think iD is arguing for always-on DRM, they're arguing that if they could begin assuming that 100% of their users were connected, it would enhance their ability to develop their games. I agree.

Look at Minecraft; by being able to assume that 100% of his users are able to patch to the latest version and are active about checking for new versions, and by frequently iterating new versions (please back off early alpha complainers who want to remind me that Minecraft sold out and there are never patches anymore) Notch has been able to do the kind of development model that he wanted to do.

jgminto

While it would be ideal for everyone to have constant smooth access to the internet it's just not feasible at this stage. Until we can get perfect internet there will always be some problems. And that doesn't take care of all of the problems that can occur server-side like crashes and bugs. It's way too early for this kind of thing.

Randomizer

I'm not a supporter of this by any means but if they take down servers it's no big deal you could just download a crack. Also make sure that when you go back online you have backed up your original files and removed the cracks so you don't get banned.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
It's a shame there's no service out there that provides the same functionality, while still allowing users to play offline if they wish.

Don't put too much faith into that. Ubisoft released a patch for the european version of Anno 1404 last December, and has refused to release it to other parts of the world, or on Steam.
I have faith that whatever devs can't or won't fix, hackers will. At least for popular titles.

I'm still completely against forcing users to be online to have access to their games. "Better for everybody" is a ludicrous statement.

I'm travelling to visit relatives tomorrow through Saturday.
Usually I take games to preserve my sanity but an always on internet DRM would fuck me over big time.
...can't wait until this is standard.

-PXG-

id Software...slowly making themselves more irrelevant. Go ahead and do it. I dare you.

It's all about Crytek and Epic now anyway.

I don't really have a problem with it as long as the designers know that game is always online and can include things that wouldn't have been able to otherwise. When a mandatory internet connection is added in last minute, that's when it's bullshit.

wrowa

Anilusion said:
The only advantage he brings up is something that Steam does anyway.
That's what I thought too.

Whoever honestly thinks that it's a good idea to take away the possibility to play offline, needs a kick in his head. Can they really not understand that some people can't be online at all times? What's with people who moved recently? There are a billion instances where people don't have access to the internet for one reason or another -- and normally exactly those instances are when you want to play a game the most, because you can't do anything else with your time.

MightyKAC

Game devs can shine this turd up all they want but in essence it will always be the same equation...

"Remove the customers freedom of use and right to chose to protect our IP and profit margins."

EatChildren

Duxxy3 said:
Sure, but right now net connections suck (availability, pricing, network drops) and they are shoving always on single player down our throats. In 15 or 20 years when the entire country is blanked with cheap, wireless, internet nobody will care about always on. But right now it's a bad time.

I agree, but iD isn't doing it with RAGE, and may not do it with Doom 3 for all we know. They're simply stating that an always online system is in theory beneficial to the consumer and the developer. And they're right, and eventually this is how every game will work.

Top Bottom