• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Libya to Gaddafi: You Should Have Left Earlier. Rebels Begin Tripoli Assault. [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Created under the NeoGAF New News, New Thread Doctrine. :)

From wikipedia (Battle Of Tripoli)
osftC.png

From Feb17.info
zjdn5u.jpg

Larger version
http://feb17.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/304971540.jpg

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16053951

Libyan rebels have entered Tripoli and are advancing into the centre of the city, meeting almost no resistance along the way.

Sky's special correspondent Alex Crawford, accompanying the rebels, said the opposition fighters were greeted with scenes of jubilation as they made their way through the outskirts of the capital.
As they entered the city, their cars gridlocked the roads, she said, and hundreds of people came out onto the streets to greet them.
The rebels responded with celebratory gunfire, she said.
"We are now just a very short distance from the centre, with more and more people coming onto the streets.
"They (the rebels) had been expecting much more resistance but there has been very little."
"There is absolutely no question in their minds that they have beaten Gaddafi and it is just a question of how he will go," she added.

SkyNews UK Stream Link
http://t.co/nhFSZ9o

Sky News Stream (from Sky News)
http://go.sky.com/vod/page/playLiveTv.do

This OP will be updated with links and more news ASAP. You will learn the phrase Thank You Based Alex Crawford soon!

Rebels Take Gaddafi's compound=FIRE SALE!!!

BOSS
29c26t.jpg

animation1lj4y.gif

5qolr.png

BOSS Speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoGNlWsObg&feature=player_embedded?

Remember this Golf Cart
Muammar-Gaddafi-video-21--007.jpg

New Owners!
ibCKJIt8w.gif

22:11 ShababLibya tweets: “According to Al-Aan & Libya Al-Ahrar, confirmed by #Mahmoud #Jibril: #Saif #Al #Islam #Gaddafi was captured by FFs at Rixos earlier today.”

EVERYONE WATCH SKYNEWS STREAM NOW

jamesinclair said:
Obama victory!
How can you have a victory when there are no hostilities???
TacticalFox88 said:
So...Obama getting credit for this?
I would think Nato would, since obama couldn't distance himself faster from the military campaign. If anyone gets credit, it should be the libyans themselves.

Sky News are doing an awesome work... but the feed keeps looking iffy, I hope it keeps going. This woman, and her team need some award.

RustyNails said:
22:11 ShababLibya tweets: “According to Al-Aan & Libya Al-Ahrar, confirmed by #Mahmoud #Jibril: #Saif #Al #Islam #Gaddafi was captured by FFs at Rixos earlier today.”

Woahhh, big news!

nubbe

Totally awesome

But the real question is what will happen now when the enemy everyone rallied around to kill is gone.

RustyNails said:

link?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TacticalFox88 said:
So...Obama getting credit for this?

Everyone deserves credit for it.

- Rebels deserve credit for doing a great job holding territory and advancing.

- NATO deserves credit for their air campaign enabling a rebel victory and preventing worse massacres of Libyans by their government. They also deserve credit for causing relatively few civilian casualties and no military casualties.

- Obama as a leader of a NATO country deserves credit for pushing to engage on this issue despite lukewarm mass support for the campaign. That's not to say the campaign was worth the money, time or effort, but simply that if we already cede that the campaign was worth it, the leaders of the countries involved deserve credit.

All three of these groups deserve credit contingent on the subsequent government being relatively democratic, and NATO air deployments wrapping up or winding down relatively soon. Obviously toppling Gaddafi is not the end of this process.

RustyNails said:

Twitter feeds are so hard to understand for non-users like myself. I get that Gaddafi was captured, though I have no idea what all those pound marks signify.

Volimar

Every once in a while, you realize that this day is an historic day for better or worse. You take a step back and look around. I hope this ends well for the Libyan people.

Summary Man said:
Twitter feeds are so hard to understand for non-users like myself. I get that Gaddafi was captured, though I have no idea what all those pound marks signify.

I don't use twitter but I think hose hash marks indicate interested parties/topics of discussion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Summary Man said:

# indicates a topic on Twitter. When you use the #, people searching for that topic can see your Tweet on the subject, and you can link related tweets this way. #themoreyouknow

Summary Man said:

The #tags are just an effort to get certain topics trending, and to make it easy to search for specific words. You can read tweets and just ignore all the # and @ tags.

confused

Banned
Great, International superpowers changed another nation. Let's continue this conquest of freedom and democracy becayse we are righteous.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Not enough resistance you said? There are reports that about 100 rebels were killed during the assault.

Juicy Bob

I have a lot of admiration for the people of Libya, fighting for their own freedom. I hope they accomplish their mission.

HawksEye

This is amazing, managed to called my family near Martyr's Square (Green Square always filmed by state TV), everyone is outside, Gaddafi troops just vanished, my god this is amazing!

OHH NTC will announce that Saif Gaddafi was captured with photos once Tripoli is fully liberated according to AJA

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
WickedAngel said:
What exactly are you trying to say with this?
This just means that there's going to be more dead people

More.Dead.People.

This nothing to be optimistic about, in the slightest sense.

Steelrain

So uh....where did the army go....you know..with all those weapons??

This is kinda a big deal I think. It didn't work out the last time an army melted away largely intact.

raphier

Banned
Veidt said:
This just means that there's going to be more dead people

More.Dead.People.

Well, unless you have some nitpicking to do, anyone could say

No.Shit.Sherlock. And you are wrong.

Veidt said:
The fuck? A cruel monster who repressed his country for 42 years is about to fall. This is nothing to be optimistic about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom