• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odd Manor Announced - Roberta Williams' (King's Quest/Phantasmagoria) New Game

LiK

Got this newsletter just now. Forgot I was on their mailing list.

Dear Friends,

Some time back I mentioned to you that Roberta and I are involved with our first game project since leaving Sierra. Our son, Chris, is the lead engineer on the project and Roberta has lent some of her design wisdom to the creative team at KingX Studios. We are pleased to announce that the game is now live and available for free on Facebook and Wild Tangent. I invite you to take a little time out of your day to play Odd Manor. We appreciate your support of this endeavor.

Sincerely,
Ken

NL3EditorImageHandler.png

http://apps.facebook.com/oddmanor

LiK

I'm a tad sad that she's gone into FB games but better than nothing. And yea, free is good.

Hmmm

Request for Permission
Odd Manor is requesting permission to do the following:

Access my basic information
Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've shared with everyone.

Send me email
Odd Manor may email me directly at XXX

Post to my Wall
Odd Manor may post status messages, notes, photos, and videos to my Wall

By proceeding, you agree to the Odd Manor Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
God damnit Facebook

GhaleonQ

Guys, hold on, I'm writing this really funny sketch with typical "overbearing parent" tropes except that, get this, they're GRAPHIC ADVENTURE DESIGNERS.

brandx-07.jpg

"Damn it. You can't just have the characters all cutesy-pooing around the manor without any motivation. Stick an unobservable time limit in there or put items at the end of danger-filled passages. Better to chase off the casuals."

"Just let me live my life! I HATE YOU, DAD! I hate you!"

brandx-04.jpg

Ha ha! ...! Give me a couple of nights to workshop and I'm totally set.

(I'm not the kind of person to pollute my social networking stuff with this, but I would gladly play and chat about any genre of game in-browser by Williams and Williams offspring. It's the least I could do for the enjoyment their work's provided.)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish they made an adventure game, for time's sake.

I love all the games they made.

Just happy to see her back in gaming. :)
Yes, you too Ken

Now if we could get her over to Telltale to consult on KQ....THAT would make me...well. Giddy. Literally giddy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love me some King's Quest, but a goddamn Facebook game?

*sigh*

What kind of game is it, anyway? Would I be wrong to assume there will be microtransactions and awful social things where you have to terrorize your friends to progress?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
_dementia said:
I need to try King's Quest one of these days

If you're into point and click games and you enjoy fairytale stories then you're in for a treat.

My favorite is VI followed by VII. A number didn't like VII because it strayed from the King's Quest formula (essentially, they removed the permastuck and made it pretty linear and Disney looking), VII was pretty memorable because it was the first King's Quest that I actually played (I was 9 around that time. So yeah, me + Disney = happy boy).

You could go for the chronological order, or start with V, then VI.

_dementia said:
I need to try King's Quest one of these days

I would definitely play them chronologically unless entering text to find clues instead of going on a pixel-click hunt sounds awful to you, then you're gonna need to skip the first four. I'd skip V, too, it doesn't hold up as well as VI. Really, if you're just going to play one, play VI, and if you're going to play them all move through in order.

SKIP VIII Just pretend it doesn't exist.

ULTROS!

I'd like to think V is some prelude to a more epic adventure (that is VI). So skipping it out would be a waste though (because if you go straight to VI, V might seem meh-ish), it's still a good game. :p

coopolon

echoshifting said:
I would definitely play them chronologically unless entering text to find clues instead of going on a pixel-click hunt sounds awful to you, then you're gonna need to skip the first four. I'd skip V, too, it doesn't hold up as well as VI. Really, if you're just going to play one, play VI, and if you're going to play them all move through in order.

SKIP VIII Just pretend it doesn't exist.

I-III have VGA remakes don't they?

coopolon said:
I-III have VGA remakes don't they?

I know that Quest for the Crown (the first one) does, and it comes with the King's Quest Collection disc (which runs in dosbox). I think there are II and III VGA remakes floating around but I don't think they're official, and I'm pretty sure all of the remakes are still text-based. I could be wrong about that. I don't know much about them.

For my money, graphically speaking, the originals are just as charming as they ever were, especially III and IV.

ULTROS! said:
I'd like to think V is some prelude to a more epic adventure (that is VI). So skipping it out would be a waste though (because if you go straight to VI, V might seem meh-ish), it's still a good game. :p

To me it holds up the least.
That fucking owl man, the minute he opens his mouth it's "Well, so much for that replay!"
I loved the hell out of it when it first came out, though. My computer couldn't run it so I just salivated over it for a year or so until we finally got a CD-ROM or whatever O/S we needed, don't remember what the issue was.

coopolon

echoshifting said:
I know that Quest for the Crown (the first one) does, and it comes with the King's Quest Collection disc (which runs in dosbox). I think there are II and III VGA remakes floating around but I don't think they're official, and I'm pretty sure all of the remakes are still text-based.

For my money, graphically speaking, the originals are just as charming as they ever were, especially III and IV.

I should have just linked to this in my first post but kept getting the name wrong.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

I'm not sure how official any of them are, I thought their QfG2 remake was official and assumed the rest were as well but I could be wrong.

coopolon said:
I should have just linked to this in my first post but kept getting the name wrong.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

I'm not sure how official any of them are, I thought their QfG2 remake was official and assumed the rest were as well but I could be wrong.

Oh yeahhhh, I had forgotten about those...maybe I'll give it a try, thanks. :) KQIII was the first video game I ever owned outright. Manannan is still one of my most-hated and most-feared video game villains. The way they kept you quaking around him, brilliance for what was capable at the time.

Any of you guys play Mixed-Up Mother Goose? That was a surprisingly awesome game. I'm a huge RW fan. I even wrote her a letter when I was nine. It was something along the lines of, (minor KQ3 spoiler)
"Will you please tell me how to get the pirates to take me on their ship?"

ULTROS!

Yes, I do remember playing Mixed Up Mother Goose, sure it was for kids but it was pretty awesome from what I remembered. It's been a long time though.

Asides KQ, my favorite Roberta Williams games were Phantasmagoria and the Laura Bow series. Anyone played Laura Bow? I really enjoyed the Art Deco theme/era, it was like an Agatha Christie game.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh god Facebook, whyyyyy.

It's really tempting but the teaser image + Facebook makes it seem not at all interesting.

... yeah okay, I went and tried it. I really ought to have trusted my first instincts. Although it was a little weird how first it was about fairies popping out of blooming flowers, and then suddenly you're reading about a werewolf slaughtering sheep. Well, okay... sounds interesting, but the gameplay was too boring to continue.

Dacon

Banned
I saw Roberta Williams in the title and got so fucking excited.

They I saw the facebook part :/

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Feep said:
There isn't a single goddamn post in this thread that even tells me what genre of game this is.

To be fair, I didn't play much of it, but it seemed to be... planting stuff? Average Facebook type game. I pretty much only got through the tutorial before deciding it wasn't the type of game I'd enjoy playing. There may be more to it if you continue playing, but they lost me at the beginning...

http://www.oddmanor.com/game.htm

You can look at the game without actually having to go on Facebook.

Top Bottom