• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP games coming to Sony tablet: emulation vs. port in question

Takao

Banned
UPDATE: PSP games on the tablets are confirmed. Initially it seemed like the PSP games weren't going to be emulated, and rather ported to the tablets. While this is good for exploiting the hardware of the tablet, it makes it difficult to see a large variety of games coming to the device. However, a Sony rep came out and said: "Virtually any PSone game, or PSP game will play on this device." "Right now you can go to the PlayStation Network and get any PSone, or PSP game it's gonna play on this device". Which sounds a lot more like emulation rather than ports. The jury's still out on what PlayStation Suite will hold, but this is quite interesting.

Original Post:

New thread for new news

So Sony's making tablets, the first of which is set to hit shelves next month and is called the Sony Tablet S. The website for this product showcases this:

TP47Q.png

It mentions PSP games in the fine print (and IIRC earlier in the day it was listed as "PlayStation and PSP Classics" - but don't quote me on that) and Pinball Heroes, a pre-loaded game on this Android Tablet is actually a PSP game.

Previously Sony announced that this Tablet, and their upcomming Tablet P were PlayStation Certified, which meant they're a part of PlayStation Suite. A hardware agnostic software platform maintained by SCE for Android devices that any manufacturer can apply to use. The first of these devices are the Xperia Play, and these tablets. However, when Suite was mentioned only PSone titles, and original games were mentioned. There wasn't any mention of PSP titles, though that would fit rumors where supposedly LittleBigPlanet, and God of War were running on the Xperia Play at one point.

This is very interesting. Is Sony going to be utilizing their PSP software library for Suite? Certainly seems so.

Toppot

I don't know if it will be powerful enough to handle proper PSP games, it might be, but I've suspected for ages that their 'minis' games would make the jump very easily from PSP to Android/PlayStation Suite.

Boney

Banned
Sounds great. Although they'll have to rework some of the titles, and not all are good fit for tablets, it's still a great initiative.

I wonder how are they gonna price them.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Playing PSP titles legally on non Sony Android platforms will certainly feel weird.

(It sounds like they're *this* close to going third party.)

((Sony caught copying Nintendo once again!))

Peterthumpa

How the hell the R / L buttons would work on a touch screen without making you do circus acrobatics to reach them?

Hyuga

Banned
Takao said:
New thread for new news

So Sony's making tablets, the first of which is set to hit shelves next month and is called the Sony Tablet S. The website for this product showcases this:

It mentions PSP games in the fine print (and IIRC earlier in the day it was listed as "PlayStation and PSP Classics" - but don't quote me on that) and Pinball Heroes, a pre-loaded game on this Android Tablet is actually a PSP game.

Previously Sony announced that this Tablet, and their upcomming Tablet P were PlayStation Certified, which meant they're a part of PlayStation Suite. A hardware agnostic software platform maintained by SCE for Android devices that any manufacturer can apply to use. The first of these devices are the Xperia Play, and these tablets. However, when Suite was mentioned only PSone titles, and original games were mentioned. There wasn't any mention of PSP titles, though that would fit rumors where supposedly LittleBigPlanet, and God of War were running on the Xperia Play at one point.

This is very interesting. Is Sony going to be utilizing their PSP software library for Suite? Certainly seems so.

I've posted it in the other thread, but.....

Tablet S Unboxed: -click-

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Takao said:
According to this site the games will actually have to be ported to Android. They won't be running an emulator.

Makes a certain amount of sense for now, but sort of dashes the dream of a unified PSone/PSP catalog across Suite and PSP/Vita. At least for any 'PSP' games.

But the fact that PSP is apparently being software emulated on Vita might suggest bright things for unification with the general PSP catalog in a Suite 2.0 for example. Mobile hardware may in the not too distant future be powerful enough to support generalised PSP emu like Vita.

Kurdel

Banned
Takao, you have never played a game on a tablet.

You must hold it AND be able to easily access the buttons. Those L2 and R2 buttons are ridiculously too high, and you will always stumble on the R1 and L1.

Also, considering they are triggers, you can't touch them while moving.

What this tablet needs is controller support, or custom virtual controls(does it have that?).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I hate Sony's half-assed attempts at the Playstation Suite.

Originally the Xperia Play was marketed as being able to sync with the Playstation store and I would be able to play all of the minis and PSOne titles I had accumulated from PS-Plus. Instead, I get Crash Bandicoot and am told that I need to rebuy all of the Minis (now re-released as android titles) and PS-One titles, from a very small selection.

I love my Xperia Play but only because of emulators and games that Sony had no hand in creating. I kind of get the feeling that these tablets will follow the same trend and receive no real support for gaming from Sony. Would be a silly twist if they end up being unable to sync with a DualShock while my Asus Transformer can.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
patsu said:
Use the stick-on Logitech dual sticks.
The rumored 3DS Bluetooth sliders are said to be compatible with Andriod tablets. I think that suggests we'll be seeing Nintendo Android tablets in the not so distant future. This post is a joke.

PSYGN

Takao said:
Playing on Tablet S doesn't look that bad:

rxdi1.jpg

Where's the touchscreen analog stick? It doesn't look very comfortable to play a game like that with a touchpad d-pad. I know PlayStation didn't always have analog sticks but they can support it still.

Touchscreen controls are so assy. I'm sure FFVII would be fine on a tablet, but nothing that requires reflexes. I'd kill myself trying to play something twitchy like Wipeout.

patsu

Jinfash said:
The rumored 3DS Bluetooth sliders are said to be compatible with Andriod tablets. I think that suggests we'll be seeing Nintendo Android tablets in the not so distant future. This post is a joke.

It may very well be true, but they should release the solution for iOS too.

patsu

IPoopStandingUp said:

Originally the Xperia Play was marketed as being able to sync with the Playstation store and I would be able to play all of the minis and PSOne titles I had accumulated from PS-Plus. Instead, I get Crash Bandicoot and am told that I need to rebuy all of the Minis (now re-released as android titles) and PS-One titles, from a very small selection.

I love my Xperia Play but only because of emulators and games that Sony had no hand in creating. I kind of get the feeling that these tablets will follow the same trend and receive no real support for gaming from Sony. Would be a silly twist if they end up being unable to sync with a DualShock while my Asus Transformer can.

If anyone from Sony is reading this thread, they should take this post most seriously. It is the bane of Playstation Suite. The Nintendo DS slider sounds threatening but we all know (if it works well), Microsoft will make similar moves for Win 8 down the line too.

Sony should implement and refine PSS as if it is a new but virtual Playstation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
IPoopStandingUp said:

Originally the Xperia Play was marketed as being able to sync with the Playstation store and I would be able to play all of the minis and PSOne titles

To be clear, they never said anything about minis...

They also have been completely unclear about whether you'd be able to play previously purchased PSone games or not, from Plus or otherwise. They never said you would be able to do that.

That all said, though, Sony hasn't yet actually even launched Playstation Suite. What you've been playing with so far is not under the Suite umbrella, it's stop-gap arrangements to throw Sony Ericsson a bone until Suite is properly launched. I mean, you even download these things off the Android marketplace, right? The PS Store isn't up there yet. I HOPE that when it is, it'll allow you to use PSone games bought on Playstation platforms, but we'll have to wait and see. The bigger point of it, though, IMO, is to be a marketplace for original mobile content, not simply PSone games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Takao said:
Playing on Tablet S doesn't look that bad:

rxdi1.jpg
Looked really uncomfortable to play in the video

I'll buy this just to play the shit out of FFVIII and some other RPGs tho =)

Takao

Banned
Kurdel said:
What this tablet needs is controller support, or custom virtual controls(does it have that?).

I believe you can map the layout to your pleasing, and you are right I have never played a game on a tablet, lol.

Teetris said:
Looked really uncomfortable to play in the video

They aren't holding it like you would in those videos. In the CNET one it doesn't look uncomfortable at all.

CamHostage

AbsoluteZero said:
Lol touch screen buttons.

The touch buttons are going to be a nightmare, but devices like Xperia Play already exist and if Sony puts some effort into the PlayStation Suite business for sure more devices like Play and perhaps even Google TV with a Bluetooth controller (dare to dream...) will use it. The software and the chipset specs are all worked out, and the games are for sure out there (PSP has such an amazing library, and a good deal of it never even made it out of Japan... though I wouldn't expect Square to put FF Type-0 on PS Suite any time soon,) all we need is the hardware.

Mrbob

Man the Sony S1 tablet looks sexy. First non Ipad tablet I'm seriously interested in. Too bad the Android market is limited right now. :(

Sony needs to get Suite up and running in proper order. Android market needs someone to step in and give it stability.

neptunes

Have the mentioned anything aboout the Playstation Suite DevKit?

With that be free/cheaper than the standard PSVita devkit?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AbsoluteZero said:
Lol touch screen buttons.

ps-suite-android-pic-1.jpg
this is why touch screen only gaming will never come close to the experience vita can deliver. i'm looking at you cell phones, tablets/ipads.

gofreak said:
To be clear, they never said anything about minis...

They also have been completely unclear about whether you'd be able to play previously purchased PSone games or not, from Plus or otherwise. They never said you would be able to do that.

That all said, though, Sony hasn't yet actually even launched Playstation Suite. What you've been playing with so far is not under the Suite umbrella, it's stop-gap arrangements to throw Sony Ericsson a bone until Suite is properly launched. I mean, you even download these things off the Android marketplace, right? The PS Store isn't up there yet. I HOPE that when it is, it'll allow you to use PSone games bought on Playstation platforms, but we'll have to wait and see. The bigger point of it, though, IMO, is to be a marketplace for original mobile content, not simply PSone games.

I still remember Kaz saying at E3, "We'll talk about [Playstation Suite] very soon". So far, nothing, it's safe to say the project is in either development hell or it's vaporware.

Top Bottom