• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All of San Diego without power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes. Well no sense in jumping to conclusions. The entire Eastern seaboard went out in 2003 and it was just from a friggin' lightning strike.

Darth Pinche said:
I work in Seattle but my job's servers are in San Diego and went out at 430pm PST.

I also work in Seattle.. and was working from home today.. had my work VPN suddenly die.. had to specifically choose an East Coast server from my settings.

Didn't make the connection with the power outage.. but now it makes sense.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Guevara said:
Is this unusual or not? Late summer is the most common time for blackouts and brownouts.

usually when it is super hot (July/August) the power goes out.

Morn

Banned
Guevara said:
Is this unusual or not? Late summer is the most common time for blackouts and brownouts.

Normally when it's a blackout or brownout, they know what caused it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Checked Twitter... is confirmed!

NBC San Diego!!

San Diego County Experiences Power Outage
Cause for massive power outage unknown
By Sarah Grieco | Thursday, Sep 8, 2011 | Updated 4:56 PM PDT

Source: Power Out in San Diego | NBC San Diego

Communities across San Diego went dark on Thursday afternoon as a power outage plagued parts of the county. Southern parts of Orange County, Coachella Valley, eastern San Diego and northern Mexico are experiencing outages as well.
Power went out throughout the county for all SDG&E customers. All other service providers have power.
No cause has been determined and there is no estimate as to when the problem will be fixed, according to California Independent System Operator.
According to SDG&E officials they are not sure how many homes are without power or how far the reach extends.They later tweeted, "We continue to work on the current power outage and find the cause and solution. We will update you as soon as we know."
The FBI said the power outage is not related to the terror threat.
San Diego County spokesman Mike Workman said that his department was unaware to the cause of what was going on and he is "sending a representative to SDG&E right now."
San Diego City Hall has been voluntarily evacuated. Some people were trapped in elevators inside, but were later freed by firefighters.
The San Diego border along Mexico is still open, as U.S. Customs and Border Patrol are running on back up power.
The San Diego Airport is still open -- planes are taking off and landing as usual. Restaurants are being forced to shut down.
San Diego State University has closed for the day. No injuries from the school has been reported.
Roads are congested throughout the county as traffic lights are out. Motorists are stuck in a gridlock as SDG&E works to fix the problem.
Send us your photos and check back for updates on this breaking story.

Source: Power Out in San Diego | NBC San Diego

Badgerst3

Confirmed. Due to severe outage of a major line that runs out of Arizona.

I am in north san Diego county- Carlsbad.

Traffic is a mess on the interstates. 3G ipad coming in handy.

Mostly Grrrrr since I want to watch tonight's NFL opener. Huge packer fan.

Can't get gas either. Ice cream for dinner.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.twitter.com/SDGE

Both major connections to our region have been lost.

This could go into tomorrow in some areas. Keep safety first.

This outage has affected Mexico and Baja.

Again, the outage seems to have originated in Arizona. This caused our line from AZ and from the north of our region to both trip off.

All 1.4 million of our customers are currently without power.

This better not reach Los Angeles. I just did my power outage time while visiting family and friends on the East Coast when Irene hit. It was close to a week and it fucking sucked. I'm not ready to deal with that again.

from the Terror Threat thread:

http://twitter.com/#!/daleis4uk/status/111948183743119360
Coachella Valley and Saltom Sea power plants reportedly out by explosions. #sandiegoblackout

Derrick01

Banned
think the sun could have caused it? I remember hearing that it's in some period of heavy flare ups and stuff. Not saying we're doomed or anything, just spitballing guesses here :lol

edit: Explosions? Welp so much for that theory.

ShortBus

Smision said:
from the Terror Threat thread:

http://twitter.com/#!/daleis4uk/status/111948183743119360
Coachella Valley and Saltom Sea power plants reportedly out by explosions. #sandiegoblackout

A certain local news channel was making it seem terror-related.
No, it wasn't a Fox affiliate...

This sounds an awful like what happened in 2003 up here in the eastern Great Lakes. One of the main FirstEnergy lines tripped, cascading blackout that took out the entire system they were attached to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003

This is why I'm glad FirstEnergy is no longer my power company. Well, that and their blatant disregard for nuclear safety issues at their two Ohio plants, but that's another story.

Darklord

Banned
ShortBus said:
A certain local news channel was making it seem terror-related.
No, it wasn't a Fox affiliate...

Probably a knee jerk reaction. This doesn't seem like a terrorist attack. They want civilian deaths not a black out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom