• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Mass Attack |OT| More Kirbys, More Power

Seda

FMBJG.png
OS4D1.png

Platform: Nintendo DS
Developer: HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Genre: Platformer

bMK6X.png
2mSbc.png
kirbymasseu.jpg

(thx Starwolf_UK)

Release Dates (MM/DD/YY):
JPN - 08/04/11
NA - 09/19/11
EU - 10/28/11
AU - 11/10/11

c7KWz.png
Game Info

One day, an evildoer with a magic cane appears and splits Kirby™ into 10 pieces. Kirby sets off on a journey to return to his original form. Players use the touch screen to control a mass of Kirby characters in a new and novel way. Swipe the touch screen to launch them in a mass attack against enemies, then tap the enemies into submission.

FEATURES:

• Players use the stylus on the touch screen to control a swarm of up to 10 Kirby characters at once. They can help players defeat enemies and find treasure. The number of Kirby characters under a player's control is important, as some challenges require a specific number of Kirby characters in order to be solved. When the number of Kirby characters is increased, players can gain the upper hand.
  • Players can control each Kirby character in a variety of ways using a stylus on the touch screen. For example, a Kirby character can be launched into the air with a flick of the stylus, or players can make a swarm of Kirby characters dash to a given point by tapping on that spot on the touch screen multiple times.
  • By collecting medals hidden throughout the various stages, players can unlock a wide variety of additional mini-games, each with its own distinctive challenges.

EKxbO.png
Gameplay
  • Food no longer heals Kirby, but instead fills a meter which drops another Kirby down from the sky to join the existing group when completely filled.
  • Collecting any item gives points towards a high score. If the player is already at the maximum number of Kirbies, filling up the Kirby meter gives a 10,000 point bonus towards the high score instead.
  • The player is rated at the end of each level with a medal - bronze, silver, or gold, depending on the achieved score and how many Kirbies got hurt.
PtYMi.png

• The main goal in the game is to gather a large number of Kirbies in a level by collecting fruit, and successfully bringing enough of them to the end of the level and back to the overworld map. In a level, certain obstacles can only be removed when there are enough Kirbies pulling or pushing on it, and individual levels can only be entered from the overworld map only if the number of Kirbies matches or exceeds the number on the level.
KMA_level_progression.png

s5E4w.png
Mini Games

• Whack-a-Mole: Whack Moles and Whispy Woods to earn points. Don't whack Gordo. Defeat the Mechanical Mole Boss at the end to win.
  • Shapes Hop: Tap the right shape at the bottom screen to progress. It is similar to 100-Yard Hop from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
  • Kirby Pinball: A game of Kirby Pinball! Rack up points to get the high score. Enter Dedede's mouth and defeat all 4 bosses: Whispy Woods, Lololo and Lalala, Heavy Lobster, and Marx. It is a modern rendition of Kirby's Pinball Land.
  • Kirby Master: Tap the screen when the bar is at the pink or blue areas to attack! Missing will have one or a certain amount of Kirbies get hurt and turn blue. There are 4 stages, each having 1 boss, with the final stage made up of bosses, including Daroach. The final boss in this game is Dark Matter.
  • SHMUP: This minigame was seen in the trailer, where you control Kirbies through the sky with Kirbies. You gain more Kirbies by rescuing them from "Skull Ghosts." The final boss in the minigame is Nightmare.
  • Boss Rush: After beating the game and collecting all the Kirby Coins, you unlock this final minigame which is essentially a boss rush to see how fast you can defeat every single boss in the game without dying. It has a mini lobby with 3 Boss Doors that have a 1, 3 & a 5 (in order of difficulty with 5 having all the main bosses), a restoration ring and 3 Maxim Tomatoes in case you lose a Kirby during the battles.

mJHKT.png
Trailers
Overview Trailer [JPN]
E3 2011 Trailer
GamesCom Trailer
Mini-Games Preview
TV Spot

GDVVo.png
Screens

a8sLa.png
QpP9M.png
u8iX1.png
p8fpo.png
xUASR.png
LmXjk.png
vlx4R.png
T472H.png
oEtI7.png
Osc1W.png
kirby_mass_attack_s-1.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-2.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-3.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-4.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-5.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-6.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-7.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-8.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-9.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-10.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-11.jpg
kirby_mass_attack_s-12.jpg

qN5oB.png
Reviews
Modojo - 5/5
NintendoGal - 4.9/5
Destructoid - 9.5/10
NTSC-UK - 9/10 (thanks JustAnotherOtaku)
IGN - 8.5/10
Nintendo Power - 8/10
Gamekult - 8/10
Gamesradar - 8/10
ONM.UK - 80
CheatCodeCentral - 3.8/5

8RZAV.png

Credits:
http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Kirby_Mass_Attack
http://press.nintendo.com/object?id=30231
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2011/03/kirby_mass_attack/index.html
nintendoeverything.com

sfried

GAF should tell people to try the demo in the Nintendo Channel because it is crazy solid at giving you a good hint on what to expect.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's a good game, but if you don't like sole touch screen control games - don't get it.

sfried said:
GAF should tell people to try the demo in the Nintendo Channel because it is crazy solid at giving you a good hint on what to expect.

Nintendo...does demoes? lol just kidding, I might have to try it out tomorrow.

PSGames

sfried said:
Any way to download this on a 3DS?

I am sooooooo hyped for this game!

GameE

sfried said:

This, it was a miracle that there was a new demo for the channel

sfried

PSGames said:
Any way to download this on a 3DS?

I am sooooooo hyped for this game!
  1. Get to your Wii and select Nintendo Channel, then choose the DS Demos (DS logo) tab on the bottom.
  2. Choose the first option on the top (Kirby Mass Attack obviously).
  3. While waiting for your Wii to start transmitting, go to your 3DS and choose the Download Play icon on the Home Page.
  4. Choose Nintendo DS. If you wish to start 1:1 mode, hold Start/Select.
  5. At this time, the Wii should start transmitting the demo. The 3DS will now switch to DS mode and begin searching for any demos being transmitted. Choose Kirby Mass Attack Demo on the list that appears.
  6. Enjoy.

sfried said:

I played the demo. It's totally Canvas Curse meets Pikmin. It has really nice 2D graphics too. Probably not going to convert any non Kirby fans though.

fernoca

Though, for the demo as noted you need a Wii. No way to download the demo to the 3DS if you don't have a Wii.

But nice OT anyway. Love colorful OTs like this. :)

brb

Let my friend borrow my DS so he can play 999... must get it back from him before this drops!
Kirby Kirby Kirby~

I was planning on getting this later due to limited money but the demo sold me. Day 1! Love the Kirby series and have always liked every game and spinoff (tho I have'nt played them all. Still think I have'nt played 3 or 4 games total) Can"t belive we get not one but two Kirby games in just a little over a month!

Besides Layton, this will be the last great game released for the DS D: It had a awsome run. Good way to end it. Its kinda like they are ending the way they begin the DS since Canvas Curse, another all touch screen Kirby game was released near the launch of DS.

Osc1W.png

dat face. Want to see more of that, especially in a future Smash Bros.

Also, I see Kirby still has that tough guy image for the North American boxart. This one looks out of place though. Were they too lazy to fix that mouth?

M-PG71C

I have this on pre-order anyway, but that demo has me really hyped now. Damn do I love my Kirby and the last couple years has been fucking great (Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, and soon Return to Dreamland). What a way to end the DS, the same way it started. Kirby.

Downloaded the Nintendo Channel demo last night, loved it. Maybe I'm crazy but it felt kind of like Kirby with a little bit of Pikmin.

Oni Link 666 said:
I played the demo. It's totally Canvas Curse meets Pikmin.

edit: I see I'm not crazy. :)

n8

Unconfirmed Member
sfried said:
Thanks for the tip, will demo this.

WiiRevolution1 said:
Its kinda like they are ending the way they begin the DS since Canvas Curse, another all touch screen Kirby game was released near the launch of DS.

Nice comparison. And Canvas Curse was the first killer app for the system IMHO.

I played the demo the other day on NC. Could've played it at pax but screw those lines.

It's a lot of fun. Getting all those kirby's on the screen is a cuteness overload though. And it reminded me how much I hate when DS games tell you to "flick" because I almost never get the hang of it. Seriously took me forever to get past the title screen of Rhythm Heaven Gold.

I think I'm finally going to go ahead and preorder this one. The demo was fun (even though it's little more than a short tutorial), and the mini-game trailer on the Nintendo Channel got me hyped. I always liked the extras in Super Mario 64 DS/NSMB and Canvas Curse, and these look pretty similar. I just hope the main game actually brings a challenge. If it manages to be anywhere near as good as Canvas Curse I will be hyped.

Top Bottom