• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Dev Preview Build [OT] of everything touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

Gold Member
windows8-300x187.jpg

Discussion thread for the Developer Preview of Microsofts new Windows OS.

Where to get it: Get the Preview Build Here
When: NOW
Versions: x86 limited(aka PC) 32bit and 64bit flavors

Links:
Windows 8 Dev Preview Blog
Windev Twitter

What is Windows 8?
It is basically a one size fits all Operating System, intedend for PCs, Tablets, Notebooks and Phones.

Metro User Interface:
It will be the "default" interface for Windows 8. Even though its the "default" interface, there will still be an aero interface(Windows 7 style) you can switch to.
From Wiki:
Metro is an internal code name for a typography-based design language created by Microsoft. Early uses of the Metro principles, such as the typography, began as early as Microsoft Encarta 95, and later evolved into products such as Windows Media Center and Zune.[1] Today, the principles of Metro are being applied to Microsoft's mobile operating system, Windows Phone 7, and the upcoming Windows 8.[2] A specially made version of Microsoft's Segoe font family, Segoe WP, is used as the main font family for all typographical elements.[2] It was confirmed by Microsoft at Computex that Windows 8, the next version of Windows, will take inspiration from Metro.[3] Microsoft also plans to add the Metro design principles to other products and services, like the Xbox 360 and Windows Live, in order to create a unified and distinctive look across its consumer products and services.[4]

Whats new in Windows 8(taken from Engadget):
All Windows 7 applications will run natively on Windows 8
• Security update notifications have been minimized to the lower right of the log-in screen
• Refreshed Windows Task Manager suspends apps when they're not running on-screen
• New "Reset and Refresh PC" functions enable simplified system wipe and restore
• HyperV virtualization software comes pre-loaded on Windows 8
• Multi-monitor support now enables a single background across screens, as well as monitor-specific task bars
• Multi-touch support enabled for Internet Explorer 10
• Magnifier function enhanced for desktop manipulation
• Optional thumb-by-thumb input mode
• SkyDrive storage support integrated into all cloud-based apps
• Metro-style refresh for Mail, Photos, Calender and People apps with Windows Live ID
• Settings roam allows for preferences to sync across a user's Windows 8 devices
• Continued update support for Windows 8 Developer Preview Beta
• Even a Lenovo S10 (first-gen Atom + 1GB of RAM) can "run" Windows 8
• There's "no overlays" with Windows 8; Metro-style goodness is baked into the core
• Both Metro-style and conventional Win32 apps will be sold in the Windows Store
• Windows 8 devices equipped with an NFC chip will be able to use a tap-to-share feature to either send content from one device to another, or simply receive content from something like an NFC-equipped card.
• Logins will use a photo-based system
• Apps will be able to natively connect and understand one another (if written as such)
• Built-in antivirus software will ship in Windows 8
• There will not be a different edition of Windows 8 for tablets, and presumably, not for Media Centers either
• It's unclear how many "editions" (Home, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) of Windows 8 there will be
• ARM devices will be supported, but not in the developer preview

Install from USB
Windows 7 USB Install Tool

What to expect from this build:
This is a DEV PREVIEW BUILD, meaning that the intention of this build from Microsofts point of view is developers. Don't expect for everything to be totally functional, and supported. THIS IS A DEV BUILD not a Customer Preview Build.

FOR THOSE HAVING PROBLEMS RUNNING METRO APPS READ!!!
There seems to be a problem some are encountering particularly with the shipped ATI drivers provided in Windows 8 Preview Build. If you are having such problems GO AND DOWNLOAD the latest windows 7 video drivers for you card.. It solved mine and a few peoples problems

NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning. Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features. The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.

INFO FROM WINDOWS DOWNLOAD SITE
Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)

DOWNLOAD (4.8 GB)

Sha 1 hash - 6FE9352FB59F6D0789AF35D1001BD4E4E81E42AF

All of the following come on a disk image file (.iso). See below for installation instructions.
64-bit Windows Developer Preview
Windows SDK for Metro style apps
Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview
Microsoft Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview
28 Metro style apps including the BUILD Conference app

Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)

DOWNLOAD (3.6 GB)

Sha 1 hash – 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9

Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 64-bit PC.

Windows Developer Preview English, 32-bit (x86)

DOWNLOAD (2.8 GB)

Sha 1 hash - 4E0698BBABE01ED27582C9FC16AD21C4422913CC

Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 32-bit PC.

Live Connect

Live Connect provides developers a set of controls and APIs that enable applications to integrate Single Sign On (SSO) with Microsoft connected accounts and enable users to access information from SkyDrive, Hotmail, and Messenger.

System Requirements

Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Install on:

Windows Developer Preview with developer tools

Windows Developer Preview (32-bit or 64-bit)

Windows 7 and Windows Vista

Clean install only

You can keep accounts, files, and settings

Windows XP

Clean install only

You can only keep accounts and files

A clean install is supported on all builds. You will only receive the full set of installation options when setup is launched in Windows.

How to install the Windows Developer Preview from an ISO image

The Windows Developer Preview is delivered as an .iso image that must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or a USB flash drive. On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner. On Windows XP and Windows Vista, a third-party program is required to convert an .iso file into installable media—and DVD burning software often includes this capability.

Note: The .iso file that contains the developer tools requires a large capacity DVD called a DVD-9, as well as a DVD burner that can handle dual-layer (DL) DVDs. Most modern burners should be able to handle this format.

clav

Add to OP in bold.

NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning. Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features. The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.

Vestal

Gold Member
Mr_Zombie said:
Can you install Windows on an external HDD (usb 2.0)?

(ASSUMPTION)
yes and no.. yes however the local boot sector will still have to be edited to include the new installation, unless your bios allows you to boot from USB.. even then I would suggest that u disconnect all internal hard drives before installing to make sure that the bootsector gets written to the USB.

Vestal

Gold Member
TwIsTeD said:
I wonder how stable this build will be compared to the Win 7 Dev Preview which always felt close to RTM to me

Are you talking about the CTP or the actual Dev preview build?

I really don't understand this fully

Windows 8 is basically a version of Windows built for Touch Screens, right? On their blog it says that keyboard and mouse controls are also being developed at the forefront so... is this an operating system I'd want to install on my regular laptop? on my desktop? As an upgrade to Windows 7? Whenever I click a screenshot or a video it's all about touch-screen shit - the thumb keyboard, the lock screen, the big-thumbnail file browser swypey thing...

What's are the new features for people who aren't getting this on a tablet? Are there any new features? Features besides an interface better adapted to controlling with your fingers?

Houston3000 said:

Windows 8 is basically a version of Windows built for Touch Screens, right? On their blog it says that keyboard and mouse controls are also being developed at the forefront so... is this an operating system I'd want to install on my regular laptop? on my desktop? As an upgrade to Windows 7? Whenever I click a screenshot or a video it's all about touch-screen shit - the thumb keyboard, the lock screen, the big-thumbnail file browser swypey thing...

What's are the new features for people who aren't getting this on a tablet? Are there any new features? Features besides an interface better adapted to controlling with your fingers?

to answer in short: yes, this is the OS you want to run on your desktop.

rkn

Houston3000 said:

I believe Microsoft's plan is Windows 8: One Size Fits All

Houston3000 said:

It's a new version of Windows and it will run everywhere. Tablets, desktops, notebooks. You're not forced to use the touch UI, but you can use it with your keyboard and mouse. As long as you have the x86 version, all of your old programs will run.

e: beaten like Windows Phone 7 in market share.

Man it's crazy how Apple has screwed up people's thinking that devices have to stand alone in different environments. What should have been the natural evolution now is going to be such a big paradigm shift.

This really is how a computer should have evolved and I can't wait for this. I really hope it catches on.

Vestal

Gold Member
Marty Chinn said:
Man it's crazy how Apple has screwed up people's thinking that devices have to stand alone in different environments. What should have been the natural evolution now is going to be such a big paradigm shift.

This really is how a computer should have evolved and I can't wait for this. I really hope it catches on.

I guess its the cycle between apple and Microsoft. Now its Microsofts turn again to push the envelop.

After reading some of the impressions from the preview this may be the first version of Windows I just skip completely... unless I get a tablet. The mouse/keyboard controls are apparently pretty terrible, most places you can't scroll with the wheel, right clicking invokes the finger tapping action (so no right clicking in the browser), not to mention the mere size of all the buttons for a mouse pointer... they're just huge so your finger could easily hit it but for a mouse pointer it's awkward.

I mean, this whole build of Windows is basically turning out to be Windows 7 with the Start Menu and boot-up screen replaced with a touch version of a Windows Media Center + Windows Phone 7 hybrid application. They made a couple of tweaks to the file explorer by adding the ribbon and a Up Folder button (which wasn't needed in the first place) but otherwise everything is a huge downgrade for mouse users and a huge upgrade for touch-screen users.

I don't understand why they don't call this Windows Touch or Windows Metro and then actually come out with a standard version for desktops with regular updates. There's still a few things they could steal from Mac and Linux builds (multiple desktops, expose, full-screen swyping, etc) before they have to "jump into the future of touch" so headstrong like this.

Emitan

Is the Metro stuff optional? I don't see the point on a desktop.

EDIT: I mean can you just set it to never display it to you. Obviously you don't have to use it.

Mr_Zombie

Vestal said:
(ASSUMPTION)
yes and no.. yes however the local boot sector will still have to be edited to include the new installation, unless your bios allows you to boot from USB.. even then I would suggest that u disconnect all internal hard drives before installing to make sure that the bootsector gets written to the USB.

I did a quick googling now and it seems you can't install Windows 7 on USB hard drive :(
There is a walk around but who knows whether or not it will work for W8.

Vestal

Gold Member
Mr_Zombie said:
I did a quick googling now and it seems you can't install Windows 7 on USB hard drive :(
There is a walk around but who knows whether or not it will work for W8.

Exactly there are a few tricks to get around the restrictions but they are not MS supported.

Billychu said:
Is the Metro stuff optional? I don't see the point on a desktop.

EDIT: I mean can you just set it to never display it to you. Obviously you don't have to use it.
The Metro UI replaces the start menu. You can probably flip the switch in the registry, but that's not confirmed or official.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Houston3000 said:
After reading some of the impressions from the preview this may be the first version of Windows I just skip completely... unless I get a tablet. The mouse/keyboard controls are apparently pretty terrible, most places you can't scroll with the wheel, right clicking invokes the finger tapping action (so no right clicking in the browser), not to mention the mere size of all the buttons for a mouse pointer... they're just huge so your finger could easily hit it but for a mouse pointer it's awkward.

I mean, this whole build of Windows is basically turning out to be Windows 7 with the Start Menu and boot-up screen replaced with a touch version of a Windows Media Center + Windows Phone 7 hybrid application. They made a couple of tweaks to the file explorer by adding the ribbon and a Up Folder button (which wasn't needed in the first place) but otherwise everything is a huge downgrade for mouse users and a huge upgrade for touch-screen users.

I don't understand why they don't call this Windows Touch or Windows Metro and then actually come out with a standard version for desktops with regular updates. There's still a few things they could steal from Mac and Linux builds (multiple desktops, expose, full-screen swyping, etc) before they have to "jump into the future of touch" so headstrong like this.

It uses 50% less memory, built in virus protection, etc etc.

clav

I'm a bit wary about dual-boot support as the windevs Twitter posts say that it's not supported.

I have my computer backed up in case setup does something funky.

kehs

Banned
Vestal said:
I guess its the cycle between apple and Microsoft. Now its Microsofts turn again to push the envelop.

This implies Apple pushed an envelope.

they're just huge so your finger could easily hit it but for a mouse pointer it's awkward.

Larger target areas make a precise pointer more awkward?

bizarro world.

Vestal

Gold Member
claviertekky said:
I'm a bit wary about dual-boot support as the devwin Twitter posts say that it's not supported.

Its the usual mumbojumbo. It wasnt supported on the Customer Preview of 7 either.. Its basically a cover incase they decide to change the bootmanager drastically and are not able to upgrade an existing one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
claviertekky said:
I'm a bit wary about dual-boot support as the windevs Twitter posts say that it's not supported.

Grub is my boot manager right now anyways so this should be extra interesting for me. LOL

Right now have Win 7, Ubuntu 11.04 server, and Ubuntu 11.10 installed. Gonna try and add in Win 8. LOL

claviertekky said:

Your computer likely supports hardware based virtualization. Check your bios and make sure its on and download VirtualPC to host W8. The performance hit will be minimal.

clav

DataStream said:
Your computer likely supports hardware based virtualization. Check your bios and make sure its on and download VirtualPC to host W8. The performance hit will be minimal.
No it doesn't.

My desktop runs on a Intel Dual-Core processor (E2180), which no processor in this line-up supports virtualization.

My laptop runs on a Sonoma Pentium M 770, so there's no virtualization on that either.

Thanks for the advice though.

claviertekky said:
No it doesn't.

My desktop runs on a Intel Dual-Core processor (E2180), which no processor in this line-up supports virtualization.

My laptop runs on a Sonoma Pentium M 770, so there's no virtualization on that either.

Thanks for the advice though.

That sucks.

Go to craigslist and look for somebody selling a shitty slow laptop HD to throw in an enclosure and use as a test HD.

clav

DataStream said:
That sucks.

Go to craigslist and look for somebody selling a shitty slow laptop HD to throw in an enclosure and use as a test HD.
I could, but I would have to spend money.

I have a backup system in place in case anything goes wrong.

I also have some hard drives here waiting to be recycled.

Thanks again though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Damon Bennet said:
Apple brought iPad/iPhone grid to the desktop. finally. It is magic
lol, i picked up the old apple wireless keyboard so i could have a dashboard button instead of that launchpad button.

kehs

Banned
I'll give the dual booting a shot if I'm don't get too stupid drunk tonight.

(I'll probably still try)

Vestal

Gold Member
HammerOfThor said:
So is anyone actually going to try a dual boot? I really want to but I dont want to be the lab rat for it lol

Those are my intentions. I already backed up my main OS drive so ill give it a spin. If the download is not all fubard tonight I should be able to get it rather quickly(GOGO Brighthouse Lightning!)

brotkasten said:
It's cute how you guys are all assuming that you'll actually be able to download the dev preview tonight.

I thought it was stated it would be up at 12am PST?

Even if they don't post it, once the boxes are in non-press hands the build will be out there within minutes. And with no activation, its obvious MS is totally cool with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom