• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sket Dance Anime |OT| Support, Kindness, Encouragement, Troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
imkFhs.png

2 seasons late on this thread, but the incredible episode 25 has motivated me to make one.

What Be It?
An adaptation of a manga by a former assistant of Gintama author Hideaki Sorachi, Sket Dance follows the misadventures of a trio calling themselves the "Sket Dan". This is essentially a high school club that helps people solve problems no matter what they are. Of course their assignments seem pretty meaningless most of the time, leading to the student body treating the club with contempt. But that doesn't get them down! The trio's tendency to never give up gets them results and they'll always tackle problems with a smile!

What Studio Does It?
Tatsunoko.

Why watch it?
Conceptually similar to Gintama (in a basic sense), this is a comedy with a colorful cast of characters, hilarious situations, heartwarming/poignant moments, and even some well done drama (the aforementioned episode 25 has one of the best tone/mood shifts I have ever seen).

Meet the Characters

Sket Dan

2ntGe.jpg

Bosson (Yusuke Fujisaki)

The team leader, an expert marksman and artist whose usually erratic personality is replaced with a brilliant deductive mindset by ceremonially donning goggles in a process called 'Connecting'—this allows him to make eerily accurate inferences by concentrating entirely on absolutely all the available evidence, to the extent of accurately recalling background noise. He enjoys the sense of adventure he receives from helping others for its own sake, but can become very emotionally involved with more serious cases to the extent of verbally abusing those he sees to be betraying their friends. Despite Bossun's deceptively sharp acumen, he is notably socially awkward around attractive women. He frequently breaks the Fourth Wall; he also vocally guards his position as the protagonist of the series when sidelined.

Himeko (Hime Onizuka)

The "Amazon", or "Yankee" (japanese term for delinquent) - a violent and dangerous close-range fighter who serves as the Sket Dan's muscle using her hockey stick. Already a formidable fighter without it, with this weapon she is capable of defeating multiple opponents instantaneously. She holds great faith in Bossun, as she, like Switch is willing to do anything Bossun says.

Switch (Kazuyoshi Usui)

The 'brains' of the team (in contrast to Bossun's intuition and Himeko's brawn) in charge of intelligence-gathering and, in contrast to the more excitable other Sket Dan members, largely concerned with "honest, data-substantiated fact". Kazuyoshi never speaks aloud and instead uses his laptop to communicate using the "Speech Synthesis Software" in between constant bouts of forum trolling and dating-simulation playthroughs. Switch is the proprietor of a vast school-wide intelligence network consisting largely of perverts and outcasts, and thus in possession of almost unlimited information on everyone in the vicinity of the school; the ensuing potential for blackmail makes him a bad person to cross.

Student Council

NIKy9.jpg

Soujiro Agata

President of the Student Council and a Third year student. A very charismatic, laid-back individual, who seemingly does nothing as President. He entrusts most responsibilities to the Vice President, Sasuke Tsubaki. He is very lazy, known to sleep in the counsel's classroom.

Sasuke Tsubaki

The Vice President of the Student Council, who takes his responsibilities very seriously, even over zealously, willing to punch a hole in a wall and injure himself to get his point across. He believes that the Sket-dan is useless and should be abolished, leading to conflicts with Bossun. The two consider each other rivals and his desire to defeat Bossun and the Sket-dan motivate him to do things he wouldn't otherwise do. He is a skilled fighter, and the boxing club at their school wanted him on their team.

Mimori Unyuu

The Treasurer of the Student Council. She's the wealthy granddaughter of the Unyuu Group's leader. She is competent enough to know how to allocate hidden funds for the Student Council, but this is countered by her desires to spend frivolously. She believes money is a means to all ends.

Kikuno Asahina

The Secretary of the Student Council, nicknamed "Daisy-chan." She is a Second-year student, who will do whatever Sojiro tells her to do. She speaks harshly, and insults people on purpose, often saying things like "Drown in a gutter and die", or "Drown, die, revive, and die again." While she seems calm and composed on the outside, she is quick to judge others, and thus, underestimate them. She doesn't handle failure very well, and will console herself by cuddling stuffed animals. She especially dislikes bothering other people, so she rarely asks for help.

Michiru Shinba

A Student Council Member responsible for General Affairs, and a Third-year Student. He is a narcissist, who loves having his picture taken. He is popular with girls, and also has a very devoted fan club called the "Shinbals". He is an extremely good chef, considered "exceptional even among professionals." Michiru often plays the straight man opposite the quirks of the other student council.

Other People!

50vsG.jpg

8jAwY.jpg

n4DJE.jpg

DF1Yk.jpg

pocQW.jpg

Jl3yJ.jpg

v5Pt0.png

rtTbp.jpg

J3Gs8.jpg

Where can I watch it!?!?

Crunchyroll has all the episodes legally streaming.

How long is it?

Wiki says there are 39 episodes planned, but being an adaptation of an ongoing Weekly Shounen Jump manga, that is likely to change or may at least lead to more seasons if the anime gets too close to the source material. In that case, it's anybody's guess when it will end.

Now get watching!

Ezalc

I think me, you and one other poster on animeGAF are the only ones watching this. It's a shame since it's a pretty awesome show and the character backstories are glorious.

Instro

I kind of feel bad for giving up on this early on. Seemed funny but I was watching too much other stuff at the time. They recently did a Gintama crossover or something correct?

Dresden

I've been slowly going through the manga and it's pretty good. I want to catch up on the show at some point since it's been praised by people I trust for the most part.

Just caught up with the show and now I'm regretting putting it on hold. When it's good, it's so incredibly good, like the touching episode 7, the adorable episode 23, and the jaw-dropping episode 25.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Can I just watch episode 25 and enjoy it?

Not really; you need to get to know the central characters (Switch in particular) before it can have the proper impact.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Can I just watch episode 25 and enjoy it?

Watch maybe the first 3-4 episodes then 24 and 25. I'll admit, it probably wouldn't have affected me as much if I only watched that, but getting the general tone of the show and understanding how much of a shift it is should be enough.

Instro said:
I kind of feel bad for giving up on this early on. Seemed funny but I was watching too much other stuff at the time. They recently did a Gintama crossover or something correct?

The Gintama/Sket Dance crossover is happening in both shows next week.

I only watched the first episode when it came out, but now that I'm almost caught up with the manga I think I want to watch it too. How good of an adaptation is it?

To the person that asked about episode 25, no, it won't have nearly the same impact.

hosannainexcelsis said:
The Gintama/Sket Dance crossover is happening in both shows next week.

Really? That I HAVE to watch.

SolarKnight said:
I only watched the first episode when it came out, but now that I'm almost caught up with the manga I think I want to watch it too. How good of an adaptation is it.

I only read the first few chapters and then stopped after hearing an anime was coming, so I'm not entirely sure, but it's been pretty good so far. Switch's back story however has been amazing and from what I hear from manga readers, was handled masterfully. If you want, you could just watch that which is 24 and 25.

upandaway

I originally stopped on episode 3 because it just didn't feel right with all the on-screen SFX and exaggerated movement and flashes and all.. but due to an entire week off I guess I'll try again.

I think I'll start from ep20. Anyone knows which episodes are the Roman and Momoka ones? Don't wanna skip those

upandaway said:
I originally stopped on episode 3 because it just didn't feel right with all the on-screen SFX and exaggerated movement and flashes and all.. but due to an entire week off I guess I'll try again.

I think I'll start from ep20. Anyone knows which episodes are the Roman and Momoka ones? Don't wanna skip those

Momoka has a big role in 6, 8, 23. Roman has a big role in 4, a part of 13, an awesome instant in 17. Outside those episodes, both have small roles scattered throughout the series.

upandaway

So I ended up just watching 4, 23-25. It does some weird things with the animation but yeah it's a good adaption for whatever I watched.

The tsukkomi just flows better in the manga though, most of the time.

Maleficence said:
Is it as good as Gintama though? Cause I luuurve Gintama.
If you love Gintama you can't really go wrong with Sket. Dunno if it's as good but it's close enough.

Episode was good, although I prefer the ending of the manga version of the second part.
Bossun saving a little kid from a fire is definitely better than a kid that fell off trying to get an insect.

OP and ED were nice. Seeing Bossun's family in the intro makes me guess that we'll get his backstory this season, although Himeko's should be first. And the ED...is it possible to edit Yabasawa out of it? x___X

Bumping because the Himeko backstory has started. Just like Switch's, there's a noticeable tone shift and I'm sure this will be another highlight of the show.

I just saw this thread. Please tell me they help by dancing at people Elite Beat Agents style

Nah, it's just a typical "come to our club room and we'll help you do stuff and be all wacky about it!" while occasionally adding to the loose overarching plot. I do think dancing is involved in helping someone at one point, but I forget.

Whelp, that's the end of Himeko's back story. It was good, but not amazing or anything. It hasn't retroactively altered the perception of her character like Switch's did. It also didn't really feel complete. Should I read the equivalent manga chapters?

Anyway, now begins the long wait for Bossun's back story.

Finally started running through it last week (on ep 16 now). Whoever is the writer of the story is honestly a storytelling mastermind, I cant find nothing I dislike about it and is easily one of my favorite stories, and all the characters are so well done. So many episodes are hilarious and touching. Love Bossun's effect on everyone.

Bossun is cool. I wish I could get his hat.

upandaway

Cosmic's out for the count so here I go.

First episode's out, it starts pretty big and they're doing a good job for the anime.

Gonna get crazier too.

I like how the backstory has been done for everyone with Bossun's finally being done recently (46).

Curious if we will get it for Tsubaki. First OP is the best OP though I like the screens in the newest OP (message).
why is tsubaki crying?

upandaway

I like how the backstory has been done for everyone with Bossun's finally being done recently (46).

Curious if we will get it for Tsubaki. First OP is the best OP though I like the screens in the newest OP (message).
why is tsubaki crying?
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to say anything to this without it being super spoilers

Good start to the Bossun back story. Like the other ones, the somewhat somber atmosphere makes a return as do the monologues. Nothing earth-shattering yet, but I can feel it building up to something good. Definitely wasn't expecting his
parents' tragic story
to be covered before the back story really even gets going.

upandaway

What, no reaction from you guys? It was a big deal.

They did a really good job for the anime. I love this flashback. And Himeko's reaction to it is the best thing.

tumblr_m0k7tkTTQ61qi23blo3_500.jpg

Amazing episode.
Didnt expect that revelation, of all people Tsubaki, perfect. Cant wait to see how their relations improve in the future, or if they truly stay the same. Ending moments with the Sket Dance and passing in the hallway was amazing as well as their discussion in front of the fence at the bonfire

Great end to a great arc. I was actually really impressed with how
Bossun and Tsubaki's conversation went. It was pretty easy to empathize with their choice of words when taking into account their personalities.
Usually it would be an extreme on either side of the spectrum, but it ended up being relatable.

I'm kind of conflicted on this arc as a whole. I think my opinion of Switch's back story kind of ruined this one because I expected it to play out in the same way. The difference between the two arcs is that Bossun's gives context to his actions while Switch's completely turns the character and everything we believed up to that point on its head.

It also felt like this arc was more about Bossun's father than him. That's cool and all, but I was looking for an event that would change my opinion of the character, something that's kind of hard to do when
the catalyst for a personality change has been dead since before the guy was born.

The arc also has more of a heartwarming outcome. Now heartwarming is good, but it's more of the same with this show even if it is a step above nearly every other story in the series with a heartwarming conclusion. What Switch's back story did not only changed the tone of the show, it retroactively removed some of the humor from previous episodes. It just caught me off guard in many ways. This arc, while adopting a different atmosphere, still in line with what is expected from Sket Dance. Again, not a bad thing, but I want to be shocked!

So anyway, I'm kind of disappointed the back stories are done with. Ever since Switch's back story, that's been one of my reasons for watching. I'm not gonna drop it or anything like that, but I do hope we get more arcs like that one.

The manga finally got scanlated last month so I thought I'd bump this thread and tell everyone to watch the complete show and then transition onto manga chapter 152 for the rest of the story. The manga ended at 288 chapters.

In regards to the back-story for the group formation, you get to see it in "Switch On" which starts in Chapter 241 and then the final arc "Last Dance" which delivers the one of the most satisfying and cathartic pay-offs in the history of manga. I don't say it lightly... the way it's handled will really get to you.

So watch/read it now. Really. Please.

For those put off by Gintama's toilet humour, worry not... SD uses clean humour. Other than the 3 member group, the shows aren't similar at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom