• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars OG Saga - Masou Kishin 2: Revelation of Evil God (PSP) announced

duckroll

It's in this week's Famitsu. This is the sequel to the DS Masou Kishin game released some time back, but there's a catch. Since it is on PSP this time round, they will be including both games in the same package as Masou Kishin 1+2 as well. This might be a first press only bonus. I can't really make it out from the dodgy scans. The actual game being announced is definitely the sequel.

It will be released on 12 Jan 2012.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
WOOHOO

Although, I hope the "2nd game" isnt that Masou Kishin game they had on the PS1, which basically used the characters from the Cybuster anime... *shiver*

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
TruePrime said:
Damn OG.

I was really hoping the next SRW we would hear about would be Z2 given OG 2 coming out on PS3.

I suspect they're actually gonna hold out on releasing Z2 until Vita comes out, and either make it a Vita game, or just make it downloadable so that the Vita owners can play it (and maximize audience).

B.K.

HaRyu said:
Although, I hope the "2nd game" isnt that Masou Kishin game they had on the PS1, which basically used the characters from the Cybuster anime... *shiver*

Unless I'm mistaken, they've already remade that game and it'll be the first game in the package.

Beth Cyra

HaRyu said:
I suspect they're actually gonna hold out on releasing Z2 until Vita comes out, and either make it a Vita game, or just make it downloadable so that the Vita owners can play it (and maximize audience).
I don't see why that would be such a big deal when they are doing this with OG.

Besides you wouldn't need to wait for Vita for this effect just put it on PSN and the effect is the same when it comes to Downloads.

duckroll

Okay. Got more details on this. The normal version retails for 6,280yen, while there will be a limited edition going for 10,480yen. The limited edition contains both the remake of the DS game as well as the new sequel. The regular version simply has the sequel. The pre-order bonus will be an Original Sound Collection CD.

The remake of the first game uses the DS game as a base, but with revamped graphics, new mechs, and character voices added.

The first trailer for the game will be released on 1st Nov.

B.K.

http://andriasang.com/comyqw/

To get PSP players up to speed with the series, Namco Bandai will also release a limited edition bundle that pairs the sequel with an remake version of the DS title that ups the visual quality and adds new mecha. This bundle will get just one production run.

Revelation of Evil God is due for PSP release on January 12, priced ¥6,280 in standard form and ¥10,480 as the limited edition bundle. The first trailer for the game will be released on the 1st.

Better preorder as soon as preorders open, if you want a copy with both games.

Shouta

So wait, is this a totally new gam for Masou Kishin? Or is it another remake or something I don't know about.

duckroll

B.K. said:
Unless I'm mistaken, they've already remade that game and it'll be the first game in the package.

You're mistaken. The DS game is Lord of Elemental, which is a remake of the original SFC game. That is what is getting remade (again!) for PSP. This is the sequel to Lord of Elemental.

The PS1 game is a shitty ass game called Shin Masou Kishin Panzer Warfare. It is total crap and no one mentions it ever.

B.K.

Shouta said:
So wait, is this a totally new gam for Masou Kishin? Or is it another remake or something I don't know about.

Anoop makes it sound like it's a completely new game. You're never going to get back to Final Fantasy XI! They're going to keep you busy with SRW for the next year.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
You're mistaken. The DS game is Lord of Elemental, which is a remake of the original SFC game. That is what is getting remade (again!) for PSP. This is the sequel to Lord of Elemental.

The PS1 game is a shitty ass game called Shin Masou Kishin Panzer Warfare. It is total crap and no one mentions it ever.

Well, I mentioned it. :p

And yeah, it was a horrible, horrible POS.

Can't wait to see scans. Hopefully it's not just a quickly put together thing. And it puts a smile on my face when I can hear the Masou Kishin characters again (who aren't Masaki, Ryunne, or Shou).

duckroll

HaRyu said:
Can't wait to see scans. Hopefully it's not just a quickly put together thing. And it puts a smile on my face when I can hear the Masou Kishin characters again (who aren't Masaki, Ryunne, or Shou).

If you liked the DS game, it looks very similar. Same art direction, same art style. The battle animations look similar too, which is to say meh looking CG art instead of the high quality hand drawn sprite art that SRW usually has. I don't like the art at all.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
If you liked the DS game, it looks very similar. Same art direction, same art style. The battle animations look similar too, which is to say meh looking CG art instead of the high quality hand drawn sprite art that SRW usually has. I don't like the art at all.

Manage to find some crappy scans to look at. Can anyone who's seen it, make out the dark colored mech to the right of Cybuster?

I havent played the DS Masou Kishin game, but I've played the orignal game on the SNES. I don't know/remember that dark colored mech, and I dont really remember it from the original game (and I wouldnt know if it appeared in the remake). Silverbird... Selvard... something...

duckroll

HaRyu said:
Manage to find some crappy scans to look at. Can anyone who's seen it, make out the dark colored mech to the right of Cybuster?

I havent played the DS Masou Kishin game, but I've played the orignal game on the SNES. I don't know/remember that dark colored mech, and I dont really remember it from the original game (and I wouldnt know if it appeared in the remake). Silverbird... Selvard... something...

Pretty sure it's new. It's called Masou Kitei Zelvoid.

TreIII

Oh, wow, nice! Masoukishin (Super Famicom) is easily still one of my fave games in the SRW series, so seeing it perhaps FINALLY getting the justice it deserves in a remake and a sequel, is music to my ears.

So, 15 years later they finally expand on La Gias and whatever happens after SRW4/F/Alpha Gaiden ?

Holy shit.
Seriously, holy shit.

Zengar

Great news. I'd rather have a release date for SRW Og2 or SRW z2.2 though. Anyway, this would help make my waiting time less painful.

Palette Swap said:
So, 15 years later they finally expand on La Gias and whatever happens after SRW4/F/Alpha Gaiden ?

Holy shit.
Seriously, holy shit.
It's also more than likely the first new Winkysoft developed SRW since F/FF and Complete Box.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201110/27052558.html

Direct-feed Screens.

pfRjV.jpg

UHg8Y.jpg

SxSO1.jpg

IV7Wb.jpg

0aNM5.jpg

Many, many more at the link.

Palette Swap said:
This too. I'm curious to see how they handle that.

From what I gather, Terada mentions they actually meant to do this sequel before Alpha: http://blog.spalog.jp/?eid=863493

Winkysoft is generally known for making the most difficult SRW entries (SRW F comes to mind), but I have a feeling they'll tone things down significantly from their early days. They have made easy games before like SRW EX.

I hate how the initial screenshots only show the battle animations.. let's see a scenario screenshot please. Curious to know if it's still isometric.

I'm thinking of making a SRW Community or general discussion thread.

mjemirzian said:
Winkysoft is generally known for making the most difficult SRW entries (SRW F comes to mind), but I have a feeling they'll tone things down significantly from their early days. They have made easy games before like SRW EX.

I hate how the initial screenshots only show the battle animations.. let's see a scenario screenshot please. Curious to know if it's still isometric.

I'm thinking of making a SRW Community or general discussion thread.
It might be my rose tinted glasses because I haven't played the complete box or any of the original games in years but it seems to me that what constitutes difficulty in a SRW has evolved.

Namely, Impact initiated a trend where difficulty is essentially buffing up HP for the bosses, making the fights often tedious but not hard by themselves. OTOH, the way I remember the original series (and alpha/alpha gaiden to an extent), the difficulty was more equally distributed among regular enemies.

That's really just a decade long impression and I'd be hard pressed to argue it beyond but that's also what makes me curious about a Winky SRW.

As long as they use all the awesome interface improvements the last years have brought to the table, of course.

(I have yet to open my copy of Masou Kishin DS so I don't know how this turned out)

distantmantra said:
I like the way you think. Do it.
The SRW community thread is here!

Palette Swap said:
Namely, Impact initiated a trend where difficulty is essentially buffing up HP for the bosses, making the fights often tedious but not hard by themselves. OTOH, the way I remember the original series (and alpha/alpha gaiden to an extent), the difficulty was more equally distributed among regular enemies.

(I have yet to open my copy of Masou Kishin DS so I don't know how this turned out)
They do make the bosses more resilient in later games, but even in the classic Winkysoft SRWs you have enemies like Bian, Shuu, or the inspectors who take a serious beating before going down.

News: Official site updated and 1st trailer.

Masou Kishin II official site updated.
First trailer here. Note: Copy and paste the Famitsu URL into a new tab if you get 403 forbidden.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks pretty solid. When you compare the attacks from the first LoE remake at the end of the video to the new attacks you can see how much more dramatic they're making them this time. Probably the best you can do with pre-rendered CG; looks better than the G Generations animation imo. Enjoying all the yelling.

So Shuu is on the bad guy side again? Lol. Probably a spy or something. They really don't want to give you Neo Granzon as a party member for the whole game :(

Will pick it up and give it a play. They need to start showing some more stuff on 2nd OGs & some licensed SRW soon though. Been too quiet on that front.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'll need to look at the first trailer again... but for some reason, it looks like the graphics for the "first" game (the one they show at the end), look more "cel-shaded", instead of rendered.

I know its not 3d cel-shaded, but it doesn't really look like the rendered graphics from the first trailer.

As for the actual game (first part of trailer), looks sweet.

Top Bottom