• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby music appreciation thread

Teknoman

First you draw a circle, then you dot the eyes, add a great big smile, and presto, it's Kirby!

imxvqYwnoSuKI.jpg

With the release of Kirby: Return to Dreamland marking another great combination of fun Kirby action platforming and catchy,relaxing, and driving themes, as well as numerous posts showcasing great themes found in the series and the new game itself, I felt now was as good a time as ever to create a thread dedicated to the appreciation of the various tracks found throughout the Kirby universe.

Of course, these are just my favorite themes or at least the ones that stand out in my opinion, not to mention I havent played some of the side Kirby games such as Avalanche and so on. As always, feel free to post your favorite themes from any title within the Kirby series, or some I may have missed due to not having played that specific game.

Dreamscapes:

270px-KDL_Boxart.jpg

Green Greens

Float Islands

The moment I heard these two themes, I knew I would be a fan of music from future entries into the series. Its funny since I just assumed that it would be a series simply because it was made by Nintendo...Game Boy speakers seemed pretty powerful back then.

220px-KA_Boxart.jpg
270px-KNiD_Boxart.jpg

Vegetable Valley

Aviation Boat

Yogurt Yard

Forest

Ice Cream Island

Butter Building

Orange Ocean

Didnt get to check this out until it hit the Virtual Console, but it still holds up after all these years.

270px-KDL2_Boxart.jpg

Dark Castle

Honestly, this was pretty much the only theme that stuck in my mind...probably the only Kirby soundtrack that i'm not that big a fan of.

270px-KSS_Boxart.jpg
270px-KSSU_Boxart.png

Opening

Beginner's Room

Float Islands ver.2

Peanut Plain

Marshmallow Castle

Sky High

Gourmet Race

Crystal Field

Aqualiss

Revenge of Metaknight - Ending

One of the best...nuff said.

270px-KDL3_Boxart.JPG

Grass Land 1

Grass Land 2

Ripple Field 1

Dark Tower

Didnt get to play this until the VC either. I was really surprised by the fact that they had a sort of crayon shading style going. Completely missed any screenshots or reviews back when the game released on the SNES, and it was pretty much a blind buy when it hit the virtual console. Needless to say, its really refreshing to go into a game blind these days.

270px-K64_Boxart.jpg

Pop Star

Room Guarder

Rock Star

Aqua Star

Mountain Stream

Beach Backyard

Shiver Star

Above the Clouds

Factory Investigation

Kirby 64 and Superstar are pretty much a tie for some of the best music i've heard in a platformer. The soundtracks are just so energetic and upbeat/ calm and cool when necessary. Very scene setting.

270px-KCC_Boxart.jpg

Plain Plant

Tiny Town

Ravine Road

Growth Grass

Contrast Cave

Machine Mansion

Cold Course

Silent Seabed

Granted most of these are remixes, I really liked the electronic feel Canvas Curse went with.

270px-KEY_Boxart.jpg

Flower Fields

Big Bean Vine

Dino Jungle

Dusk Dunes

Secret Island

Future City

Tube Town

Outer Rings

Butter Building Yarn ver.

Even though I like Epic Yarn's soundtrack, I still think it sounds like something you'd hear in the mall during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays or on a Peanuts cartoon. Well some of the stages anyway.

270px-KRtDL_Box_art.png

Return to Dreamland

Prologue

Cookie Country

Super Copy

This theme really made me feel like I could take on all enemy in the game all at once. Really captured the feel of the super abilities.

Fruit Forest

Dessert Dunes

Just try not to crack a smile while dashing through the desert listening to this while using the whip ability.

Lettuce Lagoon

Basil Bridge

One of the best looking stages in the game.

Cracker Factory ~Forte~

I'm a sucker for any factory/industrial stage/theme in any platformer.

The Arena ~Intermission~

I've gotta say Return to Dreamland might have knocked Super Star down to my second favorite Kirby game.

iJaoR3Dc05mx6.gif

Bosses:

jdMC7o4Qs92RX.jpg

Kirby Superstar Boss battle theme

jbaaALKyrUJ5ar.jpg

Kirby 64 Boss battle theme

Bonkers2.png

Kirby Return to Dreamland Mid Boss battle theme

Mid Boss battle theme 3

ibhKxQ1lnNxWQn.gif

King Dedede

iO5zO7AtezP7.gif

Nightmare

This seems like it would be more at home in an 8-bit RPG, but no complaints here whatsoever.

jbrufNxmXMrkIz.png

Metaknight's revenge part 1

Metaknight's revenge part 3

Battle with Metaknight

Always been a fan of some of the more energetic/hectic sounding Kirby themes, and these are no exception.

jK9OifFHatXlT.jpg

Marx

Very strange guy (and even stranger undead), but this has to be one of the best final boss battle themes i've heard in a platformer.

jbtvRtkBzIAgll.PNG

Zero

jf5VUFnTjvw6.jpg

Miracle Matter

j3BQMJoXY6FMw.JPG

This entire set just seems a little creepy for the Kirby universe, I mean the guy shoots blood(?) at you, his eye rips out in a gory mess in a last resort to defeat kirby, and then he comes back as some zombie angel once more. Then again, there are lots of unsettling things in this deceptive series :p

(just realized that Shiver Star looks like a frozen over Earth)

ikdnyJFnjqasb.gif

Drawcia

jv0CFp0N0Y4D0.jpg

Drawcia's Soul

So does Sakurai have a thing for giant demonic eyeballs?

jbrlO5MIZpQEws.jpg

Fangora

j4i3elFKvVXSl.jpg

Yin-Yarn

Kirby Return to Dreamland SPOILER FIELD

Grand Doomer
Battle

Lor Starcutter chase
battle

This entire scene/battle was classic cool side of Kirby through and through, even more amazing when you've got co-op partners along for the ride.

Magolor
battle

Magolor possessed/dark soul
battle

Wow.

(since the game is still fairly new, i'll wait on adding art/images to the above tracks)

As you can see, I havent had the chance to play Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, and just received Mass Attack as a gift...so if you've got some favorite themes from those games (Return to Dreamland / Mass Attack just released, and some people dont like musical spoilers, so be careful with those...), by all means add them.

ivCEXujAksVNd.gif

Sciz

Hurray, it's here. Will comb through the lists later.

As you can see, I havent had the chance to play Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, or Mass Attack yet
You aren't missing much with Amazing Mirror and especially not with Squeak Squad. Mass Attack is a great game with great music, though.

Teknoman

Sciz said:
Hurray, it's here. Will comb through the lists later.

You aren't missing much with Amazing Mirror and especially not with Squeak Squad. Mass Attack is a great game with great music, though.

Cool, I know what my Best Buy gift card is going towards. Really liked the demo and the first stage music too.

iO5zO7AtezP7.gif

...That's what Kirby's Adventure's Nightmare looks like?

Childhood ruined. :(

Oh right, music... Yes, the new Kirby game has a lot of awesome music. Don't want to post links, as I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but yes.

sfog

Not a main series game, but I've always liked some of the music from Kirby's Block Ball.

Stage 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x89lNLoFfoY&feature=related
Stage 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yBH74c_Bjk&feature=related
Stage 9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pcDOrgZNg&feature=related
Stage 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPCpn45RiU

And yeah, the SNES Star Stacker is good too, especially since it plays a lot faster than the GB original and has a nice added VS CPU mode. I would've liked to have seen it as an import VC game too, since its icon-based menus are easy to navigate with no Japanese knowledge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whenever Dedede's theme pops up in a game unexpectedly I get such an incredible feeling in my heart.

This series has such great music but it's always overlooked for some reason (even by me sometimes!) Great job Teknoman.

Aeana

It isn't Kirby music, but since a lot of people don't know it, I will link it: The Alcahest soundtrack was composed by Jun Ishikawa, one of the more prominent composers for Kirby (especially for Super Star fans). You'll hear plenty of Kirby in it.

Teknoman

Lucky Number Seven Force said:

Its in there. Its my favorite Kirby boss theme so far.

BlueMagic said:
Shame they kinda fucked up the music in Return to Dreamland. You don't do that in a Kirby game, for gods sake.

I havent started it up yet, but I did listen to stage 1, the trailer/main theme, and the intro music...didnt seem bad at all.

BlueMagic

Teknoman said:
I havent started it up yet, but I did listen to stage 1, the trailer/main theme, and the intro music...didnt seem bad at all.
I am not loving it but to be fair it's not really bad, it's just that Kirby's standard is a little higher.

Teknoman

Aeana said:
It isn't Kirby music, but since a lot of people don't know it, I will link it: The Alcahest soundtrack was composed by Jun Ishikawa, one of the more prominent composers for Kirby (especially for Super Star fans). You'll hear plenty of Kirby in it.

I'm going to have to find a translation patch for that...or is it pretty straightforward?

BlueMagic said:
I am not loving it but to be fair it's not really bad, it's just that Kirby's standard is a little higher.

Its more Kirby than Epic Yarn was though right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teknoman said:
Even though I like Epic Yarn's soundtrack, I still think it sounds like something you'd hear in the mall during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays or on a Peanuts cartoon. Well some of the stages anyway.
But... I like playing Peanuts themes on the keyboard/piano. :( They're so calming, and I think that was primarily Epic Yarn's focus. To each his own, I suppose. :)

Cozy Cabin - I might be a little biased; playing this while snow's falling outside while wrapped up in my fuzzy faux-wool blanket makes me feel all comfy inside.
Splash Beach
Deep-Dive Deep
Cool Cave
Frosty Wheel
Gourmet Race
Staff Credits

Epic Yarn has a lot of great piano themes. They aren't amazingly difficult, and they're quite fun to play.

Anyway, I've been playing Return to Dreamland for quite a while today and the soundtrack is pretty good so far!

Aeana

Teknoman said:
I'm going to have to find a translation patch for that...or is it pretty straightforward?

Its more Kirby than Epic Yarn was though right?
It's a fairly straightforward game, but there is a patch for it.

Teknoman

Dark Schala said:
But... I like playing Peanuts themes on the keyboard/piano. :( They're so calming, and I think that was primarily Epic Yarn's focus. To each his own, I suppose. :)

Cozy Cabin - I might be a little biased; playing this while snow's falling outside while wrapped up in my fuzzy faux-wool blanket makes me feel all comfy inside.
Splash Beach
Deep-Dive Deep
Cool Cave
Frosty Wheel
Gourmet Race
Staff Credits

Epic Yarn has a lot of great piano themes. They aren't amazingly difficult, and they're quite fun to play.

Anyway, I've been playing Return to Dreamland for quite a while today and the soundtrack is pretty good so far!

Nah, its no slight against it. Who doesnt like Peanuts music? Its great stuff, but just kinda seemed out of place for Kirby (i'm usually focused on blitzing through stages when I play Kirby, so thats probably why lol).

GhaleonQ

I don't feel like digging through my soundtrack collection tonight, but this topic is definitely justified. Kirby Of The Star music is so underrated. Plus, just when you think they're content to do 1/2-remix, 1/2-original soundtracks, Yarn comes out and demonstrates how that can be made fresh.

There are great picks from others here, too, especially from the ancillary and spinoff titles.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
King Dedede's theme from Kirby's Dream Land, Revenge of Meta Knight Ending in Super Star, and the redone Gourmet Race from Smash Bros 64 are my 'all time favorites' although the entire series has really great music. The title theme for Mass Attack might rank up there as well.

Teknoman

I cant stop listening to Marshmallow Castle...man HAL needs to make an original RPG for 3DS or something.

Maybe a Kirby RPG...they've certainly got enough staple characters and imagination to do it.

sfried

Teknoman said:
I cant stop listening to Marshmallow Castle...man HAL needs to make an original RPG for 3DS or something.
HAL made an original RPG before: It was called Card Master: Seal of Rimsalia, better known as Arcana.

Semi-related to Kirby since it involves Kirby-composer Jun Ishikawa:
Arcana select tunes

(But i honestly believe a Kirby RPG should fall solely to the hands of Intelligent Systems, considering what they did with the Paper Mario franchise and its humor.)

Teknoman

Wow...had no idea that was by Hal! I mean I remember seeing the box before, but I dont think I ever paid attention to the HAL logo aside from seeing it in Smash Bros 64.

Well thats 2 more RPGs to pile onto the need to play list.

Kazerei

Banned
Gourmet Race really stands out to me, 'cause we always played the Dreamland stage in SSB. It's memorable to me just due to sheer repetition :lol

Top Bottom