• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sonic Dimensions (Wii U) in development

Searched, didn't find.

From TSSZ:

TSSZ has learned Sonic Dimensions, a working title for the next Sonic, will take place directly after Generations and be a spiritual successor to Sonic Colors. We don’t know if this game will necessarily be exclusive to the Wii U, but we’re told it will have visual quality in line with Generations and it will take advantage of many Wii U specific capabilities. That includes the use of the Wii U mini-tablets for up to a 4 person multiplayer, and use of the revised Wii U remote and its touchscreen to destroy enemies and activate powers.

So what’s the gimmick this time? TSSZ has learned Dimensions’s storyline will center around another time-space continuum shift at the hands of Eggman that not only alters Sonic’s world, but himself. Sonic will allegedly split into multiple personalities denoted by color–each of which having their own unique abilities. That’s right, if this holds, recolored Sonics are now a reality.

In addition to the main Sonic, which will remain blue and act as a core uniting “ghost” of sorts in-game, we’re told there will be five other colors: Red, Orange, Purple, Green, and Yellow. We were told very specific things about each Sonic. Red Sonic, for example, can cause explosions to presumably open up new areas, but has a slow speed and a short jump. Purple Sonic, allegedly parodying Shadow and Silver, will be able to move platforms and float, with the dark nonsensical attitude to boot. And perhaps the most interesting tidbit: our sources compared the Orange personality to Big the Cat, a lumbering hedgehog even slower than his red counterpart…until he’s powered up. There is also a yellow Sonic–not a Super Sonic–that will be the fastest of them all, but take damage easily. The source alleges only two of the personalities can be used in-stage, but all may be able to combine and act as an equivalent Super Guide. The White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times. Using it guarantees the lowest rank at the end.

If that sounds a lot like a Nintendo idea, that’s because it is, and no wonder; we’ve learned Sega is allegedly working directly with some Nintendo developers on this game. That’s in addition to most of, if not the entire staff for Sonic Colors being back on board for Dimensions. The Nintendo developers are allegedly assisting Sega design the levels, which we’re told will be more surreal, on similar thinking as Colors. Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2 was cited as a stage that may see its ideas and concepts revived for Dimensions.

The final item of note from our source is yet another assurance that we will see some 2D gameplay within, and those mechanics will be “directly ripped” from the classic Sonic physics, though we’ve heard that line for a while.

tl;dr: New Super Mario Sonico Bros. with Nintendo help, four-player, Generations graphics, and some 2D.

Big One

Banned
This is going to be fantastic. Generations looks alright but not as good as Colors, so it's nice to see the creativity from the Colors teams go in somewhere.

maeda

Holy shit, if true!!! Imagine Colors with Nintendo like controls!!! Plus it makes sense for it to be exclusive, Sonic games historically sold better on Nintendo platforms!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So when are Sonic Azul and Sonic Negro going to have their mask vs mask match?

TSSZ usually knows their shit and it's not like Sega runs a particularly tight ship.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised to see this eventually. One of the things Iwata said just yesterday is that they are partnering with external developers more to ensure less software droughts and a more bombastic launch.

cajunator

Banned
I don't see any reason to doubt that Sega would be making a Sonic game for WiiU. They showed the Nintendo Wii a lot of love although the quality of some of that was certainly debatable.

ShockingAlberto said:
TSSZ usually knows their shit and it's not like Sega runs a particularly tight ship.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised to see this eventually. One of the things Iwata said just yesterday is that they are partnering with external developers more to ensure less software droughts and a more bombastic launch.

All of that just convinced me that this rumor is true

At first I thought that sounded a little too strange, but "Colors Team" reminded me of the Sonic Simulator Robo-Sonics, which had, surprise, Blue, Red, Pink, Green and Black Sonics. Idea sounds like it might have developed from that.

At the same time, I don't trust this rumor yet.

cajunator said:
I don't see any reason to doubt that Sega would be making a Sonic game for WiiU. They showed the Nintendo Wii a lot of love although the quality of some of that was certainly debatable.
It would also make sense why they'd pass over the Wii for Sonic Generations without Nintendo getting super pissy.

I wonder what Nintendo's interest in this is. A Sonic game was going to come to Wii U anyway, and it was probably going to sell well regardless of quality. Why put resources into this title?

Freezie KO said:
I wonder what Nintendo's interest in this is. A Sonic game was going to come to Wii U anyway, and it was probably going to sell well regardless of quality. Why put resources into this title?

After the 3DS launch, I think it behooves them to make sure quality, must-have games are available at or around launch.

Working with Nintendo? Good. Maybe they can help turn the moderately acceptable controls, weight and level design from Colors into something that doesn't scream mediocrity. Probably not, but who knows. I hope it doesn't play like traditional sonic because that dream is dead so long as sega is involved. Nintendo would have to take over the project completely to get that shit back on track.

New style Sonic game with a different playing mechanic is what I want, as anything else from sega will just be OK at its peak.

Borman said:
Is this the site that always has articles about the totally coming soon Dreamcast 2?
Not that I've ever seen.

Their record on Sonic leaks is pretty damn consistent. I believe they broke most of the Generations stuff well before Sega announced it and the Sonic 4 stuff, too.

Sciz

Plausible enough. Unleashed and Generations both leaked way ahead of their official reveals, and this sounds more or less like what I'd expect a Colors sequel to end up as. Direct Nintendo involvement is weird, but then all that Mario & Sonic money has probably warmed the two of them up to each other nicely.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TSSZ has learned Sonic Dimensions, a working title for the next Sonic, will take place directly after Generations and be a spiritual successor to Sonic Colors. We don’t know if this game will necessarily be exclusive to the Wii U, but we’re told it will have visual quality in line with Generations and it will take advantage of many Wii U specific capabilities. That includes the use of the Wii U mini-tablets for up to a 4 person multiplayer, and use of the revised Wii U remote and its touchscreen to destroy enemies and activate powers.
Fake + bomba.

Didn't Nintendo already say only 1 tablet connection per console? Or do they not know yet because they're still unsure about what their own console does.

Takao

Banned
Foffy said:
Recolored Sonics? No...no God.

There's already 2 recoloured Sonics:

175px-Shadow_rivals.png
SilvertheHedgehog.png

Sega not working with Dimps, but with Nintendo? That sounds way too good. I don't believe...

Directly ripped classic physics... Pshhhh. Whatever.

TheOGB

Banned
The Nintendo developers are allegedly assisting Sega design the levels, which we’re told will be more surreal, on similar thinking as Colors. Music Plant from Sonic Advance 2 was cited as a stage that may see its ideas and concepts revived for Dimensions.
I'm okay with this.

But uh, yeah, the only thing is that it does seem to be too specific this early on to be true, but let's hope anyways

enzo_gt said:
Fake + bomba.

Didn't Nintendo already say only 1 tablet connection per console? Or do they not know yet because they're still unsure about what their own console does.
They said they were looking into it, but at the time it was only one per console.

iavi

enzo_gt said:
Fake + bomba.

To be fair, while I think this is fake, I don't really think anything said about the Wii U at E3 should be taken as fact. That thing has probably had a million revisions since then.

Top Bottom