• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Q2: Deus Ex 2.18m, Dungeon Siege 3 820k, DQ25 350k Shipped

Pooya

http://www.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/12q2slides.pdf

Deus Ex Human Revolution: NA: 800k EU: 1.38m
Dungeon Siege III: NA: 320k EU: 480k JP: 20k
DQ25: 350k

http://www.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/12q2earnings.pdf
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6344044/square-enix-profit-spikes-on-deus-ex-sales

Deus Ex: Human Revolution shipped two million units in the two weeks following its release in August, and that's just about where it remained throughout September. As part of its six-month earnings report today, Square Enix provided a brief update on its best-selling title for the April-September window, saying the Eidos Montreal-developed title shipped 2.18 million units during the period.

Though Square Enix seemed pleased with Deux Ex's performance, the company's overall earnings for the first half of its fiscal year were mixed. Revenues continued their slide, with net sales for the April-September period falling 15 percent year-over-year to ¥57.516 billion ($735 million).

Profits, on the other hand, rebounded significantly. Reversing the massive income fall-off from the first quarter, Square Enix said six-month profit was up 115 percent to ¥3.704 billion ($47 million). The company attributed these results to Deus Ex, as well as an increased return on Web, smartphone, and social-networking games and services.

Deus Ex wasn't the only title to have a respectable first half. Square Enix also said that the Obsidian Entertainment-developed Dungeon Siege III shipped 820,000 units through September, having launched on major platforms at the end of June. The Japan-only Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary package also shipped 350,000 units during the period.

In a statement, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada said that the company is approaching this current fiscal period as a "rebuilding" year geared toward a proper recovery in the year ending March 31, 2013. One way Square Enix intends to do that is through a wide-scale creation of new properties. In its earnings report, the publisher indicated that it was "creating 10 major IPs."

Note:

Major IP = Square Enix owned IP that ships 2+ million copies per mainline entry. They have more than 10 candidates in case some fail. They are including existing brands.

Cheesemeister said:
Translation: Final Fantasy is dead.
I think the Final Fantasy Type-# series is considered a new IP.
(They've already trademarked Types 1 - 3)
Should be a good spin-off series, given how well Type-0 turned out.

Coxy

considering theitr last ideas of major IPs were Gun Loco and Mind Jack I'm not overflowing with expectations, more new RPG IPs damn it

Pretty impressed with Dungeon Siege's sales. It had very little advertising, and was a pretty good game. I wonder if word of mouth helped (even though some people on GAF weren't fans).

TheContact

I could not get into Deus Ex. I do not know for the life of me why. It mixes two great genres but for some reason I just didn't like it. Maybe I didn't play it enough, but I had it for 3 weeks from GameFly and I maybe played a couple hours at most. =\

Yo Gotti

Banned
Good to know that it sold well.

Now, please just give us a bigger, smarter Deus Ex game.

Bigger and smarter, that is all that I wish for.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yo Gotti said:
Good to know that it sold well.

Now, please just give us a bigger, smarter Deus Ex game.

I hope before that they give us more cool DLCs like "The Missing Link" damn! Who needs to wait for a new game when they can give us something so extraordinary within few months :D

DaBuddaDa

Dungeon Siege III was a diamond in the rough. I'm glad plenty of people actually tried it out, it's quite good if you go in not expecting more Dungeon Siege 1 or 2.

DaBuddaDa

Yo Gotti said:
Keep most gameplay elements the same, but improve all aspects of the presentation including textures, animations, voice acting, object design, etc. and make the hub worlds larger.

BadTaste

Nice one for Deus Ex. Looking back it's not as great as it was made out to be, still a good game though that I put 30 hours into. My opinion..

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
DX sold less than 50% of that shipment number WW but it's still not so bad, I suppose. Still, it was my most disappointing game this year. Can't find a lot of fun in it personally.

djplaeskool said:

Hopefully this sub serie won't go toward the "cristal chronicles " route where each game didn't do much to be better than the origina. ( except cristal bearers who was just too different )

Rolf NB

djplaeskool said:
I'm really looking forward to Type 0-2 and Type 0-negative.

matmanx1

I definately enjoyed DS3 and felt it was worth the time and money I put into it. I wish the game had been a little larger in scope and longer in terms of story and gameplay but kudos to Obsidian for bringing the franchise up to modern standards.

I also hope we in the US get Type 0 as I enjoyed the Japanese demo I played.

Joe Molotov

In a statement, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada said that the company is approaching this current fiscal period as a "rebuilding" year geared toward a proper recovery in the year ending March 31, 2013. One way Square Enix intends to do that is through a wide-scale creation of new properties. In its earnings report, the publisher indicated that it was "creating 10 major IPs."

Translation: Japanese gaming is a wasteland, Press A to Bail Out, Final Dudebro Fantasy coming Christmas 2012.

Takao

Banned
djplaeskool said:

Final Fantasy Type-2 Diabetes/32 Moons

Pronounced: Final Fantasy Type-Two Deeeya beeetus Over thirty-two Mawns

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Deus Ex and Dungeon Siege were way over-shipped, Bethesda-style.

DS3 was £12 within weeks here in the UK, and DEHR has been at £15 for a fair few weeks now. Retailers trying to clear stocks.

cjelly said:

DS3 was £12 within weeks here in the UK, and DEHR has been at £15 for a fair few weeks now. Retailers trying to clear stocks.

Deus Ex actually dropped to 11 pounds on zavvi today.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
NOW RELEASE THE DUNGEON SIEGE III OST PLEASE

Surprise of the year for me. I'll never get the Tumbledown Court theme out of my head.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
cjelly said:

DS3 has a much higher sell thru rate than DX, by about 15%

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hteng said:
funny how the western studios are making alot more sales than their JP mother company.

Not like they've released anything terribly big in a while in Japan though.

Zen

Banned
cjelly said:

In North Americas at least, it seems to be close to selling that 800k, if it hasn't already.

Top Bottom