• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

GhaleonEB

header_s.png

Release Date | 11/15/2011

Price | $39.99

Official Sites | Halo Waypoint | Waypoint's Youtube Channel | Waypoint on Twitter

343 Sparkast (official podcast)| 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08

Achievements | Campaign | Multiplayer (scroll down)

Reviews: Game Rankings | Metacritic

Official Launch Parties | Click here and scroll to "Launch Parties"

Updates!

09/11 | Added Breakneck flythrough from the Achievement Hunter guys to the MP section.

09/11 | The Anniversary Map Pack, containing the six Multiplayer maps and one Firefight mission for Reach, will release as stand-alone DLC on the 15th, the same day CEA releases, for 1200 MS Space Points ($15), so people who don't want the game but do want the maps can get them.

08/11 | The 3rd part of Gametrailer's excellent Halo retrospective is out. I've added it to the History section.

What Halo Anniversary Is and Is Not

Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary (or CEA) is first and foremost a careful remake of the original Halo Campaign. Because the Halo Campaign is beloved by much of the series fans, the actual gameplay is entirely unchanged in both Classic and Anniversary modes. It plays, feels and is designed identical to the original, because it's literally the same game under the hood. To bring this release forward to remake status, graphics and audio have been remade to give the game a shiny new coat of (optional) paint, and the campaign has been expanded with a few buckets of new content and features.

What it is not is a remake of Halo 1's Multiplayer mode, which was outside the scope of this project. The MP component of CEA represents a compromise: essentially Reach's last map pack, with a 'classic' Halo flavor. It includes six remade MP maps from Halo 1 and 2, a Firefight map set in the Halo 1 Campaign, and meshes with the recent title update that brings some of the original Halo game mechanics into Reach's Multiplayer mode - including a recreation of Halo 1's Magnum.

In total it looks like a very loving, faithful remake of Bungie's original Halo Campaign, by the folks now tasked with taking the reigns on the series, with a large classic-flavored map pack for Reach in the mix. You'll know from that description whether this remake is for you. There are a lot of folks wanting the original Multiplayer back with Live support, and this is not that.

Halo Anniversary was envisioned, produced and published by 343 Industries, the Microsoft studio now tasked with carrying the Halo franchise forward. It's a project assembled with the collaboration from Certain Affinity (Multiplayer and Firefight maps), Sabre Interactive (the new Campaign graphics) and Sequence Group (the story terminals).​

campaign_s.png

The Campaign in Anniversary is literally the same game as the original. Running on the same code base, it features the same levels, same vehicles, same physics, same AI and the same unnatural formations on giant, ancient Forerunner constructs.

During the Campaign, the Back button toggles between two modes in real time, and at any time.

Classic Mode The original game, as Bungie created it, in true widescreen and with remastered audio effects. You know it, you love it. (Or not, as the case may be.)

Anniversary Mode updates the graphics and sound, layered atop the original game. The underlying game is still identical to Bungie's original. Click here for some interactive screen shots contrasting the original and the updated visuals.

Animated_Hunter.gif

In addition to the visual update, Anniversary adds the following features:

Skulls | Gameplay-modifiying toggles first added formally in Halo 3, CEA returns them to easter eggs scattered throughout the Campaign to be hunted down, as they were in Halo 2 and Halo 3. Most of the Halo 3/ODST set return, along with several new ones. Once found, they can be toggled on or off before the start of a mission. To see the ones included in the game, hit this Waypoint Bulletin.

Terminals | Similar in concept to the terminals in Halo 3, Sadie's Story in ODST, and the data pads in Reach, CEA's terminals are found in Anniversary mode, one in each mission. Focusing on 343 Guilty Spark, they flesh out his back story to add context to Halo, and fleshes out the universe in ways that will feed into Halo 4 and other Halo fiction. The first one, and a behind the scenes look at their making, are in the Media section.

Online Co-op | Support for two players via split screen, LAN or Live.

3-D Mode | Anniversary mode can be played in stereoscopic 3D, on supported TVs.

Remastered Audio | The original soundtrack has been re-orchestrated and then re-recorded by Skywalker Sound. The original soundtrack is also available via the game options. Weapon effects have all been re-recorded, and are used in both Classic and Anniversary modes. Videos of the sound effects and on the remastered soundtrack are in the Media section.

Kinect Support | Some optional voice commands, and a Kinect-exclusive "analyze" mode to collect information on game content such as weapons, vehicles and enemies. Click here and scroll to "Behind the Scenes: Anniversary Campaign" for more details. And yes, the Analyze mode is exclusive to Kinect.

One feature notably missing due to tech limitations: there is no Theater mode for Campaign. Alas.​

multiplayer_s.png

Halo Anniversary ships with seven new maps for Halo: Reach: four remakes from Halo 1, one from Halo 2, one from Halo PC, and a new Firefight map. Each Multiplayer map includes two variants: a faithful remake, and a Forge variant which alter the layouts and often expand the sizes of the maps to accommodate Reach's gameplay. Each map has a larger Forge palette than we've been seeing in non-Forge World maps, making them more flexible for custom variants.

The Firefight map is set on the second Halo mission, and mercifully features the regular Warthog, Banshees to gun down and ODST allies to fight alongside.

Only the seven maps are on disc, not the full set of Reach maps (as was the case with Halo 3 and ODST). Reach owners can download the seven maps from Marketplace and launch them from within Reach. Forge, Custom Games and Theater modes are available in CEA for MP and Firefight for the seven maps.

The maps are listed below, with the original map variant first, and the updated version second, along with the ideal player count:

343 is in the process of rolling out a series of fly through videos of the map variants, put together by the Achievement Hunter (and Red vs. Blue) guys, which are a good way to see how each map looks and is tweaked in the Reach variants. The videos put out so far are linked above, and I will add the rest as they are released. They're a good way to get a sense for the visuals and the updated layouts (the 'classic' versions are faithful to the originals, for better or worse).

For already released gameplay videos of each map, see the Media section.

These maps will be released as a Reach DLC pack soon. 343 has not specified when, but have said it will not be long after CEA's release that the maps are made available for purchase on Marketplace for Reach players who want the maps, but not the remade campaign.

The Reach Title Update, Halo Anniversary & You

In September, 343 released a Reach title update, the details of which can be found here (scroll to "Welcome to Halo: Reach Title Update 101").

The title update provides 343 with additional levers to modify Reach's gameplay on their end in ways that bring it closer to the original Halo combat mechanics. They are currently running an Anniversary Beta matchmaking playlist for Reach. Once CEA releases, a new Anniversary 'classic' playlist will be available, incorporating the new maps and updated gameplay settings to provide a classic-ish experience alongside the original Reach game types and playlists. Details will be forthcoming. The extent to which the new gameplay tweaks will trickle out into other playlists will be based on player feefback, so let'em have it.

media_m.png

Campaign_s.png

Additional Videos

Campaign_Screens_s.png

MP_pics_s.png

Additional Screenshots

history_s.png

A collection of notable or memorable moments in Halo history. Post suggestions for this section, and I'll keep expanding it.

The nostalgia will consume all.

Pre-Release

1999 MacWorld Reveal
-The original announcement of Halo, for the Mac.

E3 2000 Demo
-The debut of Halo on the Xbox, a lengthy cinematic trailer from E3, taking on some shades of the final game.

Gamestock 2001 Demo
-The first demo of Silent Cartographer.​

Post-Release

1st Episode of Red vs. Blue
-Season 1, Episode 1, "Why Are We Here?" I don't think the question was every fully answered.

Warthog Jump, by Randall Glass
-The grand daddy of Halo tricking videos is as good today as it was 10 years ago.

Maptacular by insidi0us
-A slick, nostalgic homage to the original Halo MP maps. One of the best montages ever.

Tower to Tower
-An insanely difficult, epic grenade launch that took the tricking community nearly 10 years to pull off.

Segmented Speed Run
-The fastest Campaign speed run yet recorded.

Warthog Jump Flash Game
-BOLL's famous (and famously addictive) Flash game based off Randall Glass' Warthog Jump video.​

Retrospectives

"Our Game is Called Halo": Bungie.net Development Retrospective
-Bungie looks back on the development of Halo 10 years after it was announced.

Evolution of Halo
-The history of Halo's early versions, from RTS through to 3rd person action game, with Bungie commentary.

Game Trailers Retrospective | Part 1, The Hushed Casket | Part 2, Once More Unto the Breach | Part 3: Tip of the Spear
-A typically excellent, lengthy video retrospective from Gametrailers.com.

community_s.png

HBO
The oldest and biggest Halo fan site on the web, run by one of the nicest (and oldest) people on the internet. If there's news about Halo, HBO will cover it.

Halo Waypoint Forums
343's official community forums, which took the mantle from Bungie's now closed Halo forums.

Tied The Leader
A community, clan and site dedicated to fair play and thoughtful commentary on Halo.

rampancy.net
Another long time Halo fan site, dedicated to unusually in-depth commentary and analysis of the series, as well as news and community creations.

Forward Unto Dawn
In the spirit of Ascendant Justice, FUD is devoted to analysis and commentary on various aspects of the Halo games and universe.

Major League Gaming
An organized league of professional gamers, in which Halo plays a starring role. Forums, league schedules, rules and live streams are available from their site.

Forge Hub
A large community devoted to creating custom maps in Forge. Tutorials, guides and an active forum to provide feedback and testing, as well as an excellent resource for well crafted maps.

Special Thanks: m0dus for his amazing banners and artwork, Letters for the animated gif, and Louis Wu for web hosting. And Bungie, of course, for the original game. See you star side. <3​

footer_s.png

adelante

Pretty and concise OT, just the way I prefer it =D

Mannn, gonna be tough finding time to play this in between MW3 and Skyrim =S

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nice simple OT. Now wait until you see the flood of people comparing this to ACR's OT.

FyreWulff

I just pressed the back button. Now the entire OP has webring links and flaming skull gifs.

Anabuhabkuss said:
For the campaign, are they using the Reach engine?

Nope, it's the original Halo 1 engine, with a separate graphics engine layer made by Sabre running on top of that in sync.

Kajiba

Pre order this months ago. Really can't wait to play this game again. Online co op is what I really want to play.

Awesome thread.

adelante said:
Nope, proprietary new engine created by Saber Interactive

50% proprietary. The original engine is still running in the background for everything apart from the graphics and audio which is running in the Saber engine

Philthy

Easily the best in the entire series. The entire Halo world was fantastic atmosphere and I'll be happy to return again. I honestly have not cared for any of the other Halo games other than the original. It's just THAT good. The game play and such is standard shooter, but the atmosphere of the game just blows me away. I don't know what it is, between the circular world and the amazing music, and the fun story line, it just pulled me in.

I'll be buying this a few weeks from now when I'm done with Skyrim.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nice job on the OP Ghal, love the history section. And yea this is a proper HD Remake. Can't wait for this to come in so I can do some romping on those new maps.

adelante

StalkerUKCG said:
50% proprietary. The original engine is still running in the background for everything apart from the graphics and audio which is running in the Saber engine
oh right.. heh forgot about the original engine.

I'm not particularly excited about this release, but I'll probably pick it up before year's end regardless.

I don't understand how the maps thing is working...Reach owners can download the maps from the marketplace...for a fee? For free? How is this working?

Nice concise OP.

Can't wait to play one of the greatest fps campaigns of all time with those beautiful graphics. I held back from watching campaign media, so Halo, AOTCR et al will be fresh for me. Hopefully the news maps and playlists will revitalise the Reach population too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
AbsoluteZero said:
I'm not particularly excited about this release, but I'll probably pick it up before year's end regardless.

I don't understand how the maps thing is working...Reach owners can download the maps from the marketplace...for a fee? For free? How is this working?
You import them into Reach basically.

Vire

Nice OT Ghal.

Very informative and to the point.

The only thing is that I wish they would say how much the maps are going to cost for Reach owners...

Halo was definitely one of the best games I've ever played. It was also one of the handful of the original Xbox titles I owned.

U2NUMB

Great OT.. Crazy the time period this is coming out. Too many good games but I have this one fully paid off and I can not wait.

GhaleonEB

Just fixed the footer, which I'd neglected to resize from the original, which fixes the scrolling issue (at least on my monitor). Sorry 'bout that.

I have to run to some meetings for work but I'll check back in case anyone spotted my requisite suite of typos and such. :D

Anabuhabkuss said:
The HD shine is a tad underwhelming which is why I was asking about the engine.

You misspelt overwhelming. The game looks fantastic. With the likes of God of war HD how can you say this looks underwhelming.

Show me a better HD remake

Moaradin

This is probably the best HD remake ever. I kinda wish I could experience pure halo 1 multiplayer again though.

I know they are making a playlist on reach, but it wont be completely the same.

rhfb said:
Whoa whoa whoa... Where is Blood Gulch? How can they release this without Blood Gulch?

Blood Gulch is already in Reach, but I do prefer the original to the remake.

Top Bottom