• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Database was hacked... Hackers got access to encrypted Credit Card info + more

kassatsu

Banned
Just got this email from Valve Press.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users,

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

YOU AREN'T GOING TO GET AN EMAIL. YOU WILL RECEIVE THIS LETTER VIA STEAM.

valvme.jpg

dLMN8R said:
Just to clarify for people once again:

hackers do not have your passwords

hackers do not have your credit card information

Valve properly secured the databases, meaning that hackers cannot do anything with them right now.

Valve has suggested caution in case those secured databases are somehow compromised, but that is highly unlikely, if not impossible, depending on the methods Valve used to encrypt everything.

i'm glad i don't keep my cc info in it, but i guess i have to change my password now

they should give us a free game, like, i don't know dota 2? where is my invite gabe?

Rapstah

If the forum was compromised, how did they get CC info? Wouldn't that be kept in the Steam account part of things?

FINALBOSS

Banned
They said credit card information was taken...and then go on to say they don't believe credit card numbers were taken. The fuck?

Glix

Are we sure its legit and not a phishing email? Is there some kind of bogus link to then log in and change your info?

(I have not recieved one yet and I am a frequent steam user, please give us more details on the sending address, etc)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
"We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating."

Chinner

Banned
Wario64 said:
"We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating."
but that doesn't make an exciting thread title!

FINALBOSS said:
They said credit card information was taken...and then go on to say they don't believe credit card numbers were taken. The fuck?
They said someone had access to the numbers, not that the numbers were actually taken.

epmode

Good thing I have unique passwords and don't pay with a credit card. Resetting password now! (not that anyone can get in with Steam Guard already enabled)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Glad i switched to the secure origin, all my details have changed since i last used steam i should be all good.

Shit.

Valve, I expected better. Glad you are informing us quickly and mass-enforcing a password change for all users but still, pretty disappointed.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Wario64 said:

Makes no fucking sense when in the previous sentence they said credit card information WAS taken.

FINALBOSS said:

data tables were taken, data tables were salted and encrypted

Chinner

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Shit.

Valve, I expected better. Glad you are informing us quickly and mass-enforcing a password change for all users but still, pretty disappointed.
totally. how dare they get hacked! i'm closing my account and going with EA's Origin™.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is like the PSN situation again. CC info MIGHT have been taken but we're not sure etc. etc.

Oh well. Glad I didn't update my CC on Steam after I changed it after the PSN hack.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Valve is doomed, they will never recover from this. I see most camps trading in their Steam accounts for Origin security

markot

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
Makes no fucking sense when in the previous sentence they said credit card information WAS taken.
We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums.

That doesnt mean it was taken...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Inform me if my account was in there please. I don't want to find out when some list leaks out

Chinner

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
from what i understand, when the hack happened they had (possible) access to credit card information, but there is no evidence to suggest that they have actually taken any information .

Top Bottom