• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game called on account of lost source code. Seriously.

Ondore

Mock if old.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114155-Server-Screw-Up-Kills-MMO

Japanese MMO M2 has been shut down after the game was accidentally deleted during server maintenance.

M2 was taken offline at 8PM on the 21st of October due to a "critical issue" one of the game's main servers. Whatever the problem was, it's kind of a moot point now, because the game isn't coming back. Neither current game operators Hangame nor Sankando, the original developer, could restore the game data, and this seems to be another case of developers playing fast and loose when it comes to backups.

I... I got nothing. Apparently the backups may have been damaged in the March earthquake or a follow-up aftershock, but that's still a helluva way to go.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can't blame the devs if the suits didn't even spend on providing rigs with backup raid setups.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
game was accidentally deleted during server maintenance.

wow.

oh well at least they know what happened,SEGA still don't even know where is Panzer Dragoon Saga source code.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, what a shame, so much time and effort wasted on an a little accident. I hope nobody loses their job because of this.

bengraven

Holy shit, could you fucking imagine?

"Sorry, Blizzard fans, but we accidently the whole World of Warcraft."

"Wait, which part?"

"The whole."

It's not unheard of. SEGA lost the source for the original beta of Sonic the Hedgehog, back before it became the sonic we knew on the genesis. But for an MMO, that's pretty bad. It's probably worse than what happened to EVE's source code.

AshMcCool

Juan29.zapata said:
Oh man, what a shame, so much time and effort wasted on an a little accident. I hope nobody loses their job because of this.
I hope somebody responsible loses his/her job over this.

Cobra84

Juan29.zapata said:
Everyone will probably lose their job. They don't have a game to support anymore.

Nintendo did it.

bKaHp.gif

Duki

Banned
Juan29.zapata said:
really

this is exactly the kind of thing you should lose your job over

its not like cut backs because of a bad economy where its just sad

this is a royal fuck up and gross incompetence

Gattsu25

Banned
Nora Kisaragi said:
It's not unheard of. SEGA lost the source for the original beta of Sonic the Hedgehog, back before it became the sonic we knew on the genesis. But for an MMO, that's pretty bad. It's probably worse than what happened to EVE's source code.
What was this?

The Hermit

bengraven said:
Holy shit, could you fucking imagine?

"Sorry, Blizzard fans, but we accidently the whole World of Warcraft."

"Wait, which part?"

"The whole."

Lol, I can foresee death and huge riots if that happened.

Juan29.zapata said:

except they literally lost their job...

Gattsu25 said:
What was this?

EVE's source code leaked to the internet about three years ago. It was all over the internet when it happened. In my mind, what's happening here--the code being destroyed-- is worse than that as there is no chance for recovery.

By the way, I blame aliens.

Somnid

The code repository, locals, production, acceptance, backups all nuked?

Oh god how does this happen I am not good with computer

Whoa, I never would have guessed this sort of thing would happen in current times. You would think someone at some point would have suggested backing it up.

Really unfortunate for them.

edit:
I think this is the start screen for the game.

3mZeG.jpg

Ultratech

Jesus...you think the building all that stuff was in was destroyed?

If not that, maybe somebody purposely destroyed all that data?

Can't even imagine how something like that happens...and yet it did.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Totobeni said:
Vaporware don't have source codes.

"You can't lose what you never had!"

Yeah, I'm still sad for that.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I heard it wasn't coming back due to costs, but this?! Oh my, I feel really bad for the devs :(

ElRenoRaven

Now I've literally heard of it all. Not a single build anywhere? Really nowhere is there a single build of the game saved or stored? I literally can't believe this.

Somnid

Rentahamster said:
How the hell is this even possible? Holy shit what a fuckup.

I can only imagine being the one who did it.

Manager: What the hell happened?
Employee: I accidentally the game. The whole thing.

androvsky

All the article says is "game data", which could be anything from source code to art assets or, more importantly in the case of a f2p game, the database of who owns what. I'm guessing it's their user database. If it was that, they could relaunch with everyone starting from scratch, but since it's a game with a small (and now very angry) userbase, it's probably not worth it.

Polari

Juan29.zapata said:

Really? It's pretty much the greatest display of incompetence imaginable.

I mean, I'm still in college and I have 2 or 3 backups of my current stuff plus an archive backup all on 3 different drives. If I were actually making something that was going to put food on the table I'd be even more aggressive at backing up my stuff. To the point that I'd probably have a safe deposit box with a backup drive and some bluray disks as well.

Top Bottom