• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: EA Forum Bans Are STILL Affecting Games

Dead Man

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/14/ea-forum-bans-are-still-affecting-games/
You may remember, back in March this year, a story that threw EA forum user Arno into the limelight. Having violated the rules of the EA forums he was given a 72 hour ban on his forum account. But found that he was also unable to play online with any of his games attached to his EA gaming account, nor activate his single-player Dragon Age II. This led to quite the brouhaha, which eventually resulted in EA’s announcing that the ban had been “a mistake”, and the promise that not only would Arno’s gaming rights be restored, but they would fix the issue to prevent this happening again. They haven’t.

We also heard from Rob. Rob’s encounter with EA’s seemingly arbitrary banning process makes much less sense. His account was suspended for having posted a “commercial”. What he had in fact posted was a link to his non-commercial blog, to a guide to “network troubleshooting”, recently updated for helping gamers get connected to BF3. A link that’s been repeatedly posted to the same forums for a couple of years, and better still, has actually been linked to by EA Support themselves. The link, says Rob, is mentioned on their own corporate support site and FAQ! He too found that the live chat support was absolutely useless, with those replying unable to deviate from a script that endlessly, uselessly loops. This led to his being banned from his gaming account for 72 hours, as well as a permanent “strike” on EA’s “three strikes” system. Something it’s not possible for him to dispute.

Then we heard from James, whose tale is even more extraordinary. He has been permanently banned for using the word “e-peen”. (For those unfamiliar, this is short for “electronic penis”, and tends to be used to suggest someone is egotistically willy-waving.) However, he did not even introduce the word. It was in reply to someone else who’d said it, and responded, “Ah, back to the e-peen talk.” He was originally told this ban would be for 72 hours, but on Saturday received an email informing him that it was now to be a permanent ban from his Origin account, with no further explanation given. It was added that the matter was “now closed”. And, as ever, EA’s live chat and customer support are refusing to help him in any way. He’s also been told that his BF3 characters and levels will be deleted.

They contacted EA a week ago for a response and have received none.

So bloody shady.

2San

Zzoram said:
EA is the only company to do this. One more reason not to buy into Origin.
BF3 shakes my principles to the core. I don't want to buy EA products, but they have DICE. I'm weak, man! Weak!

Derrick01

Banned
EA is a truly despicable company and this is sadly just 1 reason I refuse to download Origin.

I really wish people would stop supporting them just because they make a game that you "can't" ignore here or there. I'm not normally the activist type but they are just such a shit company and a plague to gaming.

Baron_Calamity said:
That is really unfair. They will have to correct it.

They might correct it for these people, but they'll keep doing it. This started happening back in March when Dragon Age 2 came out and we made a big deal about it for a week and then kept buying EA games.

The greatest trick the EA devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn’t exist. To pull this off he needs to control the forums and metacritic user reviews with an iron fist.

Kyoufu

More Fun To Compute said:
The greatest trick the EA devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn’t exist.

I was never fooled. DICE will never make another Mirror's Edge game again.

epmode

Oh good, I was just about to post this.

I love the part about the guy who had his Origin account permanently banned for using the word "e-peen" in response to a post that used the term first. EA is such garbage.

2San

More Fun To Compute said:
The greatest trick the EA devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn’t exist. To pull this off he needs to control the forums and metacritic user reviews with an iron fist.
Oh we know it's the devil, we just give in to its temptations.

Derrick01

Banned
epmode said:
Oh good, I was just about to post this.

I love the part about the guy who had his Origin account permanently banned for using the word "e-peen" in response to a post that used the term first. EA is such garbage.

My favorite part was the first part Dead Man quoted. They banned a guy for linking to a site that they already link to themselves!! It's just a special kind of evil that only EA could do.

Takuan said:
Somehow I doubt the users are being completely forward, however.

It doesn't matter really. They could have said every horrible thing in the english language and it doesn't excuse being stopped from playing games they paid for. A forum ban is fine, a full account ban should be illegal.

LegatoB

Whenever I start thinking that maybe it would be fun to play some BF3, there's a new topic like this one. Fuck off, EA.

Eusis

Dead Man said:
No matter the reason for a forum ban, it should NEVER impact your ability to play your games.
Ditto, and if EA still wants to pull this shit then their forums should rightfully become barren wastelands. Of course for all we know they may start looking further beyond those, IE mods they don't like or whatever.

I'll definitely get ME3, but if it weren't for getting Bioware I'd have little to no interest in anything they put out, at least post-"let's actually try new stuff!"

Hanmik

Nuclear Muffin said:
God I hope that Iwata is smart enough to not fall for EA's con...

0Yi1Q.jpg

Zzoram

I have no interest in any EA games except Mass Effect 3, and I'm skipping that if it's not on Steam.

There is no shortage of good games to play and time to play games only becomes more limited with age.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kyoufu said:
What exactly are you referring to? The castration of Criterion? DICE chasing the COD money? Or maybe Bioware going dudebro?

Alice: Madness Returns, of course.

Derrick01

Banned
Zzoram said:
I have no interest in any EA games except Mass Effect 3, and I'm skipping that if it's not on Steam.

There is no shortage of good games to play and time to play games only becomes more limited with age.

It won't be, or at least if it is it will require Origin. Galaxy at War seems to use Origin as its backbone, which is what it was perhaps not so secretly designed for in the first place. Clever new mode for the game? Nope, just a way to shoehorn Origin in.

And to repeat what I said above I wish people would have more strength and not say "well after this one game" or "well except this game I won't support EA". Just don't support them at all. I didn't buy BF3 despite kind of wanting to and loving BC2, hell if I could go back in time I would retroactively refuse to buy BC2.

noise36

How is this even legal?

It’s like Ford having a EULA that says if you fart in their car they will take it back and not refund you.

Just because they say it and have the muscle to do it doesn’t make it legal. i.e. EULA are basically a corporate wish list and not law.

At the very least do a credit card charge back to get your money back and if you have the time take them to small claims court and sue them.

Derrick01

Banned
noise36 said:
How is this even legal?

It’s like Ford having a EULA that says if you fart in their car they will take it back and not refund you.

Just because they say it and have the muscle to do it doesn’t make it legal. i.e. EULA are just corporate wish lists and not law.

At the very least do a credit card charge back to get your money back and if you have the time take them to small claims court and sue them.

It's likely not legal. But do you have the money to go up against EA's lawyers? I sure don't.

Basically the easiest way to avoid this is to refuse to support EA in the first place.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont understand how thats possible. Is there something in the fine print when you sign up to the EA forums that says a forum ban can lead to you permanently not being able to play EA games online?

This sounds crazy. Somebody needs to do something about this.

peakish

I've been willing to cut EA some slack with Origin for lacking features and being buggy since it's still young, but this can't be excused. They've known about the problem for six months and changed nothing. Good on RPS for following up on it, the rest of the gaming media really should follow and as for me I won't buy into that service until it's changed.

This shit doesn't make me scared of a digital distribution future but no bad behavior online should ever lock you out your bought games (except perhaps banning online play). This is something that we and the industry should make a stand for now while the business models are still relatively young. Absolutely shameless.

Valnen

I'm actually not really against this, as draconian and terrible as it is. I hate trolls enough that I could actually get behind this. Make people think about what they type.

Kyoufu said:
What exactly are you referring to? The castration of Criterion? DICE chasing the COD money? Or maybe Bioware going dudebro?
Do you have some sort of problem with people who like EA's games? It's okay for you to not like them, but to criticize others for liking them is a bit...well rude, to be honest.

Dead Man

peakish said:
I've been willing to cut EA some slack with Origin for lacking features and being buggy since it's still young, but this can't be excused. They've known about the problem for six months and changed nothing. Good on RPS for following up on it, the rest of the gaming media really should follow and as for me I won't buy into that service until it's changed.

This shit doesn't make me scared of a digital distribution future but no bad behavior online should ever lock you out your bought games (except perhaps banning online play). This is something that we and the industry should make a stand for now while the business models are still relatively young. Absolutely shameless.
Yep, RPS are one of the few groups doing any real consumer based reporting these days.

Valnen said:
I'm actually not really against this, as draconian and terrible as it is. I hate trolls enough that I could actually get behind this. Make people think about what they type.
I knew there would be a few. Bloody hell, what rubbish.

I'm too addicted to the Sims to seriously consider boycotting Origin. Not that I'm worried. I've never really wanted to post on ea's forums. Especially not the Sims forum. They creep me out a little.

TGMIII

Valnen said:

Right but did you read the article, those people were banned because the EA support team are morons. I know 3 people that work for their UK support team and the stories I hear makes me wonder why EA even hired them in the first place.

That sits well with my recent EA customer support experience. Over one week of calls, me getting called a liar and trickster, and the BF3 online pass of my brother still doesn't work. The last codes given to me by EA were both wrong.

Literally the EA customer service is by far the worst and offensive support I've ever had to endure.

EA (potentially) doing Nintendos online would be the one single reason to completely ignore online on WiiU alltogether. I'm not going to put up with EAs anti consumer bullshit again.

2San

Seanspeed said:
I dont understand how thats possible. Is there something in the fine print when you sign up to the EA forums that says a forum ban can lead to you permanently not being able to play EA games online?

This sounds crazy. Somebody needs to do something about this.
Normally you'd counter these things with a consumer union. Sadly these things tend to be useless the reason being that there is no solidarity what so ever among consumers. In the Netherlands the best shot you have fighting is being insured at a Labor Union.

Valnen

awwyeahgurrl said:
Right but did you read the article, those people were banned because the EA support team are morons. I know 3 people that work for their UK support team and the stories I hear makes me wonder why EA even hired them in the first place.
Mhm. That's kind of why I said this is admittedly draconian. It would be better if they reserved these bans for people who incessantly flame others, spam, type in all caps, or all of that. If they lose their games, it's justice as far as I'm concerned =).

Valnen said:

You might actually want to READ the article and you will discover it is not "trolls" getting banned :-

RPS said:
His account was suspended for having posted a “commercial”. What he had in fact posted was a link to his non-commercial blog, to a guide to “network troubleshooting”, recently updated for helping gamers get connected to BF3. A link that’s been repeatedly posted to the same forums for a couple of years, and better still, has actually been linked to by EA Support themselves. The link, says Rob, is mentioned on their own corporate support site and FAQ! He too found that the live chat support was absolutely useless, with those replying unable to deviate from a script that endlessly, uselessly loops. This led to his being banned from his gaming account for 72 hours, as well as a permanent “strike” on EA’s “three strikes” system. Something it’s not possible for him to dispute.

Curse that troll eh.

At any rate since Origin EA have got a nice litte seat next to Ubisoft when it comes to whether I buy their games (I don't). This rubbish about forum bans = game bans is just another good reason why people should avoid being voluntarily mugged by EA.

At the very least we need enforcement agencies to check this out. If a company bans you from playing your purchased games then you should be entitled to a FULL refund of your money. I bet if that happened EA wouldn't be so quick to ban people.

Dead Man

Valnen said:
Mhm. That's kind of why I said this is admittedly draconian. It would be better if they reserved these bans for people who incessantly flame others, spam, type in all caps, or all of that. If they lose their games, it's justice as far as I'm concerned =).
OKAY.

shuri

Banned
What have we learned today?

Never contribute to the EA online community ever. Isn't the EA community manager some sort of former gaffer? Or one the 120 people from 1UP who found jobs in the industry as managers of some sorts?

Valnen

CharmingCharlie said:
You might actually want to READ the article and you will discover it is not "trolls" getting banned :-
2 cases of people claiming they did nothing wrong. I imagine most people that receive harsh punishment aren't going to publicly admit to that, though.

peakish

Valnen said:
Why not just fix the problem by banning them from interacting with users (which in fact is the problem in those cases) instead of banning accounts worth hundreds of dollars? Keeping that option does nothing except putting honest users at risk. (edit and I honestly don't even think that idiots should lose their purchases like that even if no "honest" users are ever hurt)

Omikaru

Valnen said:
There's nothing just about it. Punishment should fit the crime. If you shit up an EA forum thread, ban from the forums. What does that have to do with the person's ability to play games?

Do you think that posters banned on GAF should have things they've paid for taken from them just because they had the temerity to offend you on the internet?

Valnen

peakish said:
Why not just fix the problem by banning them from interacting with users (which in fact is the problem in those cases) instead of banning accounts worth hundreds of dollars? Keeping that option does nothing except putting honest users at risk. (edit and I honestly don't even think that idiots should lose their purchases like that even if no "honest" users are ever hurt)
Mostly because that isn't always an effective deterrent.

Though I suppose if I really think about it, someone could just make a "troll" account and post with that if they really wanted, so perhaps locking out whole accounts wouldn't be either...hrm...

Top Bottom