• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switzerland* will allow to grow marijuana plants at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So apparently, the Swiss realised that the lax cannabis laws in some of its cantons were creating an undesirable drug tourism/black market previously unknown. As a response, they did the only sane thing: legalise home growing.

After January 1st, citizens of Vaud, Neuchâtel, Geneva and Fribourg (so far) will be allowed to grow up to four plants per person with no commercial intent.

http://www.tdg.ch/actu/suisse/cantons-particuliers-pourront-cultiver-cannabis-2011-11-16

Cannabis plants can flourish freely in the lounge or on the balcony of individuals, provided they are four in number, and they are not marketed. This authorization derives from Latin Concordat on culture and commerce of hemp , which was ratified this year by the cantons of Vaud, Neuchâtel, Geneva and Fribourg. The Jura, Valais and Ticino, have yet to decide.

This text, which should come into force on 1 January 2012, aims to harmonize the regulation of culture and commerce of hemp in the different cantons. As noted in today's Le Matin, the heads of the Departments of Justice and Police also hope that this arrangement will play a preventive role.

Most sources in English are republished pap from the Daily Fail, so I'll leave some Googletrans here until a more acceptable source appears.

PS: FYI I actually dislike cannabis and I would never smoke it. I find it every bit as revolting as tobacco.

VASPER

Banned
Que plane.gif
great looks like part of the world is getting on board with the most useful plant know to man.

Kurtofan

So it's basically all the French speaking cantons minus Jura and Valais?

I'm guessing this wouldn't pass in German speaking cantons, right?I heard they're more conservatives.

Neo C.

*Vaud, Neuchâtel, Geneva and Fribourg only (so far)
The french speaking part is once again a step further than the german speaking neocons.

Edit:
I'm guessing this wouldn't pass in German speaking cantons, right?I heard they're more conservatives.
I hope Bern will follow, but I dunno how the people on the countryside think about it.

we should all plant them at home and help fight global warming
3AQmK.gif
:p

Not legalizing the commercial sale of marijuana is a mistake. I would imagine most smokers would still deal with the black market simply because they don't want to grow and maintain their own plants.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think this is the most sane middle ground to aim for with drug legalization - legalize naturally occurring substances like cannabis under the aegis of hobbyist usage. Merely fine profiteering and selling the substances for cash monies.

Drug wars have made it so that if one uses drugs it's "in for a penny, in for a pound". It's all illegal, it's all made expensive and difficult to get, so why not use the bad stuff, the crazy synthetic compounds?

On the other hand, this brave new world would see a rise in the popularity of Chia Pet busts for Cheech and Chong...

LuchaShaq

Banned
That's the only thing that makes me a bit skittish about legalising cannabis. Is there a realiable way to ascertain if somebody is not fit to operate a vehicle?

It's already illegal to operate a vehicle when on weed/pain killers etc. Problem is we aren't even harsh enough on drunk drivers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
*Prays for this in Canada.*

I would love for the hobby and I would save so much money (not to mention not support crime... though my supplier's a good kid, lol)... The risk is too great right now..

jorma

is now taking requests
Are they going to implant high driving rules too just like drunk driving? best of luck to them.

If you get caught smoking weed in Sweden there is a high chance they will take your license from you. Just like that. And if you are caught with TCH in your body while driving, you are considered a drunk driver, even if it was weeks since you actually smoked it.

Just to let everyone know that Sweden != Switzerland. We'll be the last country in Europe still fighting the war on drugs for sure :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom