• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HIV-positive teen denied admission to Pennsylvania school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

A Pennsylvania high school has denied a 13-year-old boy from attending because he is HIV-positive.

The boy, who was unidentified in the lawsuit filed in Philadelphia, is suing the Milton Hershey School in Hershey, Pennsylvania for violating “multiple anti-discrimination laws that protect the rights of people with HIV to remain free from unwarranted discrimination,” CNN reported.

The boarding school said they denied the adolescent due to the school’s residential setting and the risk of sexual activity would make the boy a “threat,” ABC News reported. The AIDS Law Project filed suit on his behalf.

"This young man is a motivated, intelligent kid who poses no health risk to other students, but is being denied an educational opportunity because of ignorance and fear about HIV and AIDS," said Ronda Goldfein, the boy's lawyer, ABC News reported.

The cost-free school, founded in 1909 by infamous chocolate maker Milton S. Hershey and his wife, Catherine, has 1,850 students with grades spanning from pre-kindergarten to 12th grade. According to the suit, the boy is described as an honors student and student athlete who takes five pills for medication per day and one vitamin, which doesn’t impact his school schedule, CNN reported.

"In order to protect our children in this unique environment, we cannot accommodate the needs of students with chronic communicable diseases that pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others," said Connie McNamara, a spokesman for the Milton Hershey School, Reuters reported.

"The reason is simple. We are serving children, and no child can be assumed to always make responsible decisions that protect the well being of others," McNamara said, Reuters reported. The school said they planned to have a judge weigh-in on their decision.

In the mid-1980s a similar case sprung up when Ryan White was expelled from his Indiana school for being HIV-positive, MSNBC reported. White fought and won his case.

Like Ryan White, this young man is a motivated, intelligent kid who poses no health risk to other students, but is being denied an educational opportunity because of ignorance and fear about HIV and AIDS," said Goldfein, CNN reported.

The suit was filed on Wednesday, one day before the 30th World AIDS Day, timed to coincide with it on purpose, CNN reported.

Story Here

Personally I liked this quote from the SF chronicle story:

Beirne Roose-Snyder, the group's managing attorney, said discrimination against people with HIV remains "rampant," even though the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said for years that the virus is not transmitted through casual contact. Fewer cases are going to trial, she said.

The school's statement "shows a real lack of understanding of the real threat of HIV," Roose-Snyder said.

Goldfein said the HIV discrimination cases she has seen in recent years usually boil down to one person's word against another.

"The reality is, people don't usually admit it like this," she said Thursday.

Story Here

Now, obligatory disclaimer: As a private school I believe they have should have the right to choose their student body. However, as someone who is reasonably well educated and sane the REASON they're using is fucking idiotic. This is not the 1980s and the ignorance is STAGGERING.

I just saw this on AC360. The reasoning was flimsy at best. I think they really want it to go to court so the decision is simply out of their hands.

Ferrio

Banned
It's a private school. They let the kid in, other kids will un-enroll and that's bad for their bottom line. It's shitty, but I think they're in the clear.

I acually like this quote

"The reason is simple. We are serving children, and no child can be assumed to always make responsible decisions that protect the well being of others," McNamara said, Reuters reported. The school said they planned to have a judge weigh-in on their decision.

It's truth. I don't care how intelligent a kid is, they're still kids and will do stupid shit.

Gaborn

It's a private school. They let the kid in, other kids will un-enroll and that's bad for their bottom line. It's shitty, but I think they're in the clear.

It's truth. I don't care how intelligent a kid is, they're still kids and will do stupid shit.

well, yes, but exactly what do you expect them to do? Cut themselves and then attack a student with the bloody knife? I mean, realistically it's not THAT easy to transmit HIV especially if you have a low viral load with your medication use.

Angry Fork

Middle schools kids are fucking these days. If I was running a private middle school I wouldn't want HIV kids in them either. Harsh but it is what it is there's tons of other schools out there to choose from.

shira

They finally do HIV testing at the med school here. That should be a given, but apparently there are tonnes of problems finding HIV+ med school students placements.

Gaborn

Middle schools kids are fucking these days. If I was running a private middle school I wouldn't want HIV kids in them either. Harsh but it is what it is there's tons of other schools out there to choose from.

I'm... pretty sure that the girls/guys in a school are going to be reluctant to fuck an HIV+ student.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out legally. Depending on how far this goes up the courts and the ruling, I could see it having some far-reaching effects.

bionic77

You can't discriminate against someone because they are sick. It is against the law.

Tough shit for the school. Having black people in a restaurant might scare away some racists but that is a cost of doing business in a free society.

Ferrio

Banned
well, yes, but exactly what do you expect them to do? Cut themselves and then attack a student with the bloody knife? I mean, realistically it's not THAT easy to transmit HIV especially if you have a low viral load with your medication use.

No, but the kid cuts him self on accident. Covers it up and plays "it didn't happen" game that kids love to play. Ya even then there's low chance of it spreading, but the chance is there.. and that's enough to make parents yank t heir kids outta the school.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Are middle school kids really fucking nowadays? Back in middle school I thought my two testes were my two kids inside a scrotum.

Dan Yo

Banned
I'm... pretty sure that the girls/guys in a school are going to be reluctant to fuck an HIV+ student.
They might be reluctant to play games with him or even get near him as well.

There is always a fear that colliding with him during a game of ball or getting in a fight with him could cause blood to mix.

I'm not certain that he would even be trying to make it known to the other kids that he is HIV+.

Angry Fork

How would they know he's HIV positive? It's not like he's going to have a sticker on him saying stay away. And they aren't old enough to realize the danger, think about condoms etc. The kid could personally stay away because he knows he has it but I don't know about trusting a puberty/hormone driven kid to control himself if he was ever in a sexual situation.

Gaborn

are you really doubting the stupidity of kids?

general stupidity? No, I'm not. To THAT extent? For the most part, yes. I am aware there is a subset of young gays who actually see being HIV+ as a bizarre status symbol (wouldn't be shocked to see that with straight people as well) but for kids? Heck no. As it is there is enough ignorance and taboo on the subject kids would be repulsed if anything.

Dany

Banned
You can't discriminate against someone because they are sick. It is against the law.

Tough shit for the school. Having black people in a restaurant might scare away some racists but that is a cost of doing business in a free society.

The sick child can infect other kids.

Ignore sex and any accident in the school that can infect another and it spreads like wildfire.

Gaborn

How would they know he's HIV positive? It's not like he's going to have a sticker on him saying stay away. And they aren't old enough to realize the danger, think about condoms etc. The kid could personally stay away because he knows he has it but I don't know about trusting a puberty/hormone driven kid to control himself if he was ever in a sexual situation.

They might be reluctant to play games with him or even get near him as well.

There is always a fear that colliding with him during a game of ball or getting in a fight with him could cause blood to mix.

I'm not certain that he would even be trying to make it known to the other kids that he is HIV+.

I don't think you can hide that status entirely, I'm sure that parents would get a letter home to inform them of a student with HIV.

I do disagree with Dan though, I think a lot of THAT ignorance with kids has been dispelled.

2th

Banned
general stupidity? No, I'm not. To THAT extent? For the most part, yes. I am aware there is a subset of young gays who actually see being HIV+ as a bizarre status symbol (wouldn't be shocked to see that with straight people as well) but for kids? Heck no. As it is there is enough ignorance and taboo on the subject kids would be repulsed if anything.

Common sense isn't that common. In other words, I wouldn't put anything past kids I don't know.

I've never, ever been able to grasp this.

Striek

It's a private school. They let the kid in, other kids will un-enroll and that's bad for their bottom line.
Bad for their bottom line? Its one of the richest schools in the world and its free. They enroll underprivileged children who can't afford to pay anything.

Dany

Banned

What? Why and Who thinks that?

Alucrid

Banned

What?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Discrimination? When I was growing up, schools wouldn't allow you to attend if you had head lice or pink eye, let alone fucking HIV.

JGS

Banned
Bad for their bottom line? Its one of the richest schools in the world and its free. They enroll underprivileged children who can't afford to pay anything.
Yep.

I'm getting the impression they don't want to get sued if the kid has unprotected sex with another kid (Or gives a against policy transfusion I guess). So what are the chances of that? I'm assuming it's remote.

I think they should let the kid in, but it would suck if they were to get stuck with the lawsuit for doing so.

bionic77

The sick child can infect other kids.

Ignore sex and any accident in the school that can infect another and it spreads like wildfire.

Looks like the school is totally privately funed. Dickish move, but I think they are within their rights.
HIV is protected within the ADA.

The school might be shielded if it is totally private and gets no government assistance but I am not an expert on the subject so I can't say with any real authority.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, bugchasing it's called. I forgot the name, but it is a fetish for some people. I heard about it during "Wired for Sex" on G4/TechTV a few years ago when they were still re-running it. It isn't exclusive to homosexuals. So that doesn't answer the "status symbol" thing that Gaborn talks about but yeah...

Gaborn

Yeah, bugchasing it's called. I forgot the name, but it is a fetish for some people. I heard about it during "Wired for Sex" on G4/TechTV a few years ago when they were still re-running it. It isn't exclusive to homosexuals. So that doesn't answer the "status symbol" thing that Gaborn talks about but yeah...

I think that's a subset of the subset. sort of a "justification" if you will for the fetish, an "I wanted this and I got it and it makes me cool and dangerous." sort of the same way smoking was once perceived as "cool" (and I guess still is with some kids)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom