• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS breaks sales record in Australia (over 200,000 sold in 37 weeks)

It was all about the price, once that got down it sold better.
I'm still waiting for the redesign even though I nearly buckled for Mario kart/ 3D land.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I said in the other threads, we've sold quite a lot at work. Due to the close pricing pretty much nobody buys a DSi over the 3DS, and now with two Mario titles a lot more people seem interested.

Fusebox

Banned
I bought one at launch. :(

Not exactly sure where it is now, it's in one of my cupboards gathering dust.

Also, I didn't realise the 37 week mark was some kind of milestone. Seems a bit arbitrary?

pramath

Banned
pramath, I swear to God.

Second time tonight.

BOOT. TO. ASS.

diglett_used_taunt_by_shwigityshwonshwei-d2zc3n0.png

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wow, breaking records by selling 200,000 in 37 weeks... Australia proves once again that their market doesn't really matter.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
For comparison it took:

Wii - 50 weeks
NDS - 55 Weeks
PS2 - 55 Weeks
Xbox 360 - 68 Weeks

to reach 200k in Australia.

That seems really low compared to sales everywhere else. Why is that? Is gaming not big over there or what?

For reference, people, Australia's population is 22.5 million, and it's roughly the same size as the United States. To match Australia's adoption rate, proportionally, there would have to be 2.6 million 3DS sold in the United States. At the end of September, there were 2.13 million shipped in America.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, 200k more people fooled before the revision comes!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Australia always has a pretty high adoption rate when it comes to new hardware.

Still Impressive.

fernoca

That seems really low compared to sales everywhere else. Why is that? Is gaming not big over there or what?
Keep in mind the difference in population.
US: 312.7 million
JP: 127.7 million
UK: 62.3 million
AU: 22.7 million

Heck, were I live:
PR: 3.7 million
(And back then, the most preorders of GTAIV across all Gamestops came from here; though they counted us as a state from the US.)

LOCK

For comparison it took:

Wii - 50 weeks
NDS - 55 Weeks
PS2 - 55 Weeks
Xbox 360 - 68 Weeks

to reach 200k in Australia.

That makes it very impressive.

Austrailia Population 2011: ~22.7mil

3DS Sales = 200,000 which is .8%

Japan Population 2011 128mil

3DS Sales ~3.2mil which is 2.5%

And Japan is the leading country probably right now perecent wise, so no Austraila is not that different, just smaller population.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
'Fuckin Aussies.'
--French

Yagharek

For reference, people, Australia's population is 22.5 million, and it's roughly the same size as the United States. To match Australia's adoption rate, proportionally, there would have to be 2.6 million 3DS sold in the United States. At the end of September, there were 2.13 million shipped in America.

Indeed. And we still got Xenoblade :)

Nintendo Australia is doing quite well riding on Nintendo Europe's coattails this year.

I thought Australia would have held more standing towards worldwide sales, considering the population.

200,000 in almost a year seems very low, albeit impressive against previous systems.

Falcs

Banned
People are buying them here? So much cheaper to import. Can't remember the last time I bought a game here locally in aus. I guess the region lock would drive local sales.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Part of that statistic. It feels slightly good to know that I have a PAL handheld. Still pissed at Nintendo for the region lock though.

Yoshiya

People need to remember that Australia is a little country with a lot of empty space.

Well 200,000 spread over a geographical area that big can make it unlikely.

According to Wikipedia Australia's population density is 3 people per km^2, one of the lowest in the world. Hint: we don't all live on gigantic areas of land. The bulk of the Australia population is concentrated in a few cities on the east coast, and the remainder is concentrated in a handful of smaller cities elsewhere. There is an awful lot of nothing in between.

Top Bottom