• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: NOPE! Only One Account Per Vita

LiK

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/sony-vita-psn/

After getting everyone’s hopes up, Sony now says only one user account can be used on a PlayStation Vita.

Though a Sony representative told Wired.com at a Vita preview event last week in Manhattan that Vita users will be able to switch accounts by swapping out memory cards, the PlayStation maker has now retracted that statement. It told Wired.com in an email on Thursday that Vita owners will indeed have to reset their hardware to factory settings, deleting all of their data, in order to sign in with a different PlayStation Network account.

Sony will release Vita in Japan on Saturday and in the U.S. on February 22.

“[The] PSN account is tied to the hardware and the memory card, not just the card,” a different Sony representative said in an e-mail, “which means that if a second person is using your Vita, it’s not just a case of switching out memory cards, it’s clearing out all of your saved data on the Vita itself when you do the factory reset.”

“In other words, PlayStation Vita is intended to be played by only one user,” the representative said.

Vita users will have to delete all of their data in order to use new accounts on Sony’s online network, which is used for both digital shopping and multiplayer gaming. The PlayStation 3 and PSP allow users to sign in with separate accounts. They also allow players in different regions to create Japanese or European accounts to download games from those regions. It seems that neither of these things will be possible on PlayStation Vita — at least not without jumping through some as-yet-undiscovered loopholes.

Edit: Confirmed again.

https://twitter.com/#!/yosp/status/147475230418411520

iZjV0.png

domlolz

Banned
I'm eagerly awaiting the news next week which contradicts this bit of news which contradicts what sony said the other week which contradicted what was first said

legbone

hmmm. doesn't really affect me but i'm sure some magazine racks will be knocked over after their preorders will be cancelled. sucks for couples that want to share a vita or kids whose parents will only buy one for multiple siblings (which i guarantee will be the biggest problem). anyway, guess i'm glad i will be the only one playing my vita. forever alone :(

itsgreen

Sony is going all out to screw over consumers in order to hinder piracy (which will probably win in the first year)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So back to the easier just take the card out and reset? So I don't need two memory cards!

I think you have 'reset' with the card in before it'll let you use another card. This whole 'bonding' thing.

So to switch accounts you'll have to reset/format and restore your account's data...it won't just still be there on the card, IMO.

Vamphuntr

I was okay with the memory card swap but this is pretty horrible.

Sony is so confused about the thing and it comes out in like 2 days in Japan...

Zomba13

With this whole one account only stuff what does that mean if you get banned? I'd have to factory reset the device? That is bullshit.

The reason I care is because I had my PSN account hacked and then banned when I went to the bank to get my money back (because sony wouldn't do a thing). If my PSN account was linked to my Vita I'd be fucked right? Have to restart everything? Including lose any downloaded games (because it says all data needs to be wiped and if the account that can download the game is banned you can't get it back right?)?

Is this really all that big of a problem? Who keeps around multiple PSN accounts?

I do on PS3.

Helps a lot with region exclusives.

Also if you're going to be importing games, especially now that they can (and a lot will) rely on DLC as a crutch, not having multiple accounts effectively locks you out from parts of that game.

Berksy

First we had to buy 2 x Memory Cards.
Now we have to buy 2 x Vita plus 2x Memory Cards.

Hope pirates won't be able to hack games after this many countermeasures.

_woLf

Is this really all that big of a problem? Who keeps around multiple PSN accounts?

Lots more people have UK and JP accounts for demos than you may think.

Region locking on handhelds is an incredibly stupid idea that has never made sense to me.

I continue to hold out on my Vita purchase until the inevitable Final Fantasy X / Vita bundle.

7threst

Me. I live in Europe. I have multiple accounts across different regions only because I want to play games that are not released over here. Now, when I am importing games, I am not able to access the download content for said game. So yeah, it is a problem for me.

Strange decision but a non-issue for me. The only time I ever used multiple accounts on PS3 was when I grabbed the Catherine demo from the JPN store.

So Sony created the perfect import system only to fuck it all up in the end. For PSN stuff, this thing is essentially region locked.

Lots more people have UK and JP accounts for demos than you may think.

Region locking on handhelds is an incredibly stupid idea that has never made sense to me.

Publishers keep asking for it. No idea why, but I am guessing this is the best way Sony could relent without going for full region-locking.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sony: number of vita user accounts determined by memory cards.

Sony: SIKE, THAT'S THE WRONG NUMBER!

patsu

Finally a clear statement. Why can't they name the PR person so we know who we can or cannot trust next time ?

kharak

Neo Member
“In other words, PlayStation Vita is intended to be played by only one user,” the representative said.

Why? Why? Mother of...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
First we had to buy 2 x Memory Cards.
Now we have to buy 2 x Vita plus 2x Memory Cards.

Hope pirates won't be able to hack games after this many countermeasures.

Dunno, if it really locks the cards then it's buy 2 memory cards and reset the system.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Those of us who don't live in our home countries. Sony doesn't even allow me to add funds on PSN if I'm not in the same region as it, they simply block the IP.

Also plenty of gamers in general have multiple accounts to get games or demos. Why wouldn't you have a European account to say download Breath of Fire 3 on PSN. (that's on their PSN right? or just disc? whatever you get the point..Flight Control HD! There. That's only on the European PSN...right? It ain't on the Japanese one that's for sure.)

Top Bottom