• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freespace 2

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I bought it on GOG and tried to play but it doesn't recognize my flightstick.

Also there is some FS2 Open Source project with better textures, graphics, modern joystick support but I can't understand how to install it - it's 3 megabytes and I'm not sure if I have the right file.

Help?

epmode

I believe FS2Open increases controller compatibility so I wouldn't worry if the vanilla game didn't recognize your flightstick.

Christine

The game should work with any stick that'll run under the Microsoft Joystick driver. It has a pretty robust in-game control configuration, I mostly just added bindings for buttons 9-12 and told it which axis was the throttle.

Lime

Just revisited this marvellous gem with my newly acquired Sidewinder 2 joystick. I got for $30.

SIMPLY. FUCKING. AMAZING.

fs2_open_3_6_14_rc220q0k7a.png

Nif

If you're using a 360 adapter / pad, try removing it. I had that problem a while back, iirc. Older games don't like multiple joysticks connected and will only detect the first one it finds.

Lime

It also pains me that the entire simulation genre is dead, when the inherent conditions for immersion of the genre should be a great incentive for developers to create these kind of games. I mean, no single game this generation beats flying across the hull of a giant colossal star cruiser with explosions and death all around you, while locking on with your bomb payload, and then hitting your afterburner as soon as you've released them.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I installed Open Source project, the flightstick works now but deadzones are horrible. I wonder where can I fix this.

hitoshi

Well, my boss and I talked about the series and I really got hyped. Freespace is one of my favourite game of all time but I have not played the sequel because... well, I am an idiot, I suppose.

So, I have the GOG version, I read the whole Deadlight wiki, but it's a mess, half of the links doesn't even work. Can somebody provide me a guide or a shining beacon or a package where everything is included?

I am using a Core i3 notebook with a Raden HD 5470 with 512MB Ram, so it must be able to run it. Xbox 360 controller support would also be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's the deadlight wiki? I go to hard-light.net for Freespace stuff.

All you need is Freespace Open.

The 360 controller should be recognised okay with a minor issue or two (one of the axis on the right stick not functioning in game, and the usual issue if you set the triggers as thrusters where pressing none will result in half speed, one in 0 speed and the other full speed), but you'll still need to use the keyboard as there are too many functions to map beyond the basic flight combat stuff.

hitoshi

What's the deadlight wiki? I go to hard-light.net for Freespace stuff.

All you need is Freespace Open.

The 360 controller should be recognised okay with a minor issue or two (one of the axis on the right stick not functioning in game, and the usual issue if you set the triggers as thrusters where pressing none will result in half speed, one in 0 speed and the other full speed), but you'll still need to use the keyboard as there are too many functions to map beyond the basic flight combat stuff.

Sorry, I meant the Hard-Light Wiki. And I am talking about the Freesapce Open :) I have downloaded a bunch of files, following the instructions of this handy guide:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78710.0

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Did you try the automatic installer first and it didn't work (missing media vps or whatever?)?

Swifty

I wish they'd redo the UI so that widescreen didn't stretch everything out. I play in 4:3 because of that.

I actually rewrote the HUD code to allow for non hard coded data and customization. Expect to see native non stretched widescreens in our next release. If you have a bleeding edge unstable build, you can use a custom HUD layout to fix this. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=69858.msg1380458#msg1380458

Menu UI is a different matter. Those unfortunately still need to be addressed. Kinda hard to fix this problem since most of the UI isn't exactly broken up into non-discrete pieces.

hitoshi

Did you try the automatic installer first and it didn't work (missing media vps or whatever?)?

That link doesn't work :( To be honest I think I have a clear picture now, but I am a little bit confused. Looking at this I assume I only have to install the whole package:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=65038.0

But the first, full guide links to more files and an updated version of the MediaVP. In 15 minutes I will find out if it works! :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Saw this, and for a glorious split second, thought maybe, finally, a Freespace 3. Or at least a modern gen Space Flight Action Sim, in the vein of Freespace.

hitoshi

That link doesn't work :( To be honest I think I have a clear picture now, but I am a little bit confused. Looking at this I assume I only have to install the whole package:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=65038.0

But the first, full guide links to more files and an updated version of the MediaVP. In 15 minutes I will find out if it works! :)

Aaand it works. I am pretty sure I have set it up inproperly, but this does just fine for now. And the game is still nearly unplayable with the Mouse :)

Top Bottom