• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #87 - "Balance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "Balance"

Word Limit: 3500

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, December 28th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, December 29th, and goes until Sunday, January 1st at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: subtext in dialogue
Have some subtext underneath your dialogue. Details in next post.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Entries:
Alfarif - "Precipice"
bakemono - "Tight Rope Act"
John Dunbar - "The Abridger"
Grakl - "Communication with Another"
Tim the Wiz - "Fool's Mate"
Tangent - "Acceptance Speech"
Ashes1396 - “The Holidays” or “As the Snow Falls in the Welsh Valleys”
Bootaaay - "Double Dare"
Cyan - "Ledger"

Cyan

Banned
People don't always say straight out what they actually mean, what they actually feel, what they actually want. Sometimes, like an iceberg, the bulk of what's really being communicated is hidden underneath, where it can't be seen but still has an impact.

In your piece, try having some dialogue with subtext, where what is said isn't really what is meant.

This will probably require some context to let the reader know what's really going on, and a reason for the characters not to want to speak openly. It could be politeness, it could be conflicting internal goals, it could be a lack of knowledge or fear of misunderstanding, or or or...

Let's look at some examples.

Here's a simple one. Joe and coworker Jessica have had an argument. Joe now feels he was in the wrong, but has the conflicting internal goal of not wanting to look weak by apologizing openly.

"Hey Jess," said Joe, scratching his upper lip. "You busy? How about a coffee. It's on me."

Jessica looked at him, then back at her screen. "I really have to get this report finished up."​

Think maybe she's still mad?

Here's a real example from a well-known novel. Mr. Darcy has been contemplating Miss Elizabeth Bennett from across the room, and finding her quite to his liking. Miss Bingley, the sister of his best friend, comes along and speaks to him:

"I can guess the subject of your reverie."

"I should imagine not."

"You are considering how insupportable it would be to pass many evenings
in this manner--in such society; and indeed I am quite of your opinion.
I was never more annoyed! The insipidity, and yet the noise--the
nothingness, and yet the self-importance of all those people! What would
I give to hear your strictures on them!"

"Your conjecture is totally wrong, I assure you. My mind was more
agreeably engaged. I have been meditating on the very great pleasure
which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow."

Miss Bingley immediately fixed her eyes on his face, and desired he
would tell her what lady had the credit of inspiring such reflections.
Mr. Darcy replied with great intrepidity:

"Miss Elizabeth Bennet."

"Miss Elizabeth Bennet!" repeated Miss Bingley. "I am all astonishment.
How long has she been such a favourite?--and pray, when am I to wish you
joy?"

"That is exactly the question which I expected you to ask. A lady's
imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love
to matrimony, in a moment. I knew you would be wishing me joy."

"Nay, if you are serious about it, I shall consider the matter is
absolutely settled. You will be having a charming mother-in-law, indeed;
and, of course, she will always be at Pemberley with you."​

The subtext here, of course, is that Miss Bingley wants Darcy for herself, and is both letting him know that she's around and available, and reminding him that Elizabeth, unlike her, is not really in his class socially.

One more example, this from a classic movie. Rick has just run into the love of his life, a woman he thought he never see again, only to find out she's married--to resistance hero Victor Lazlo.

RICK: I congratulate you.
VICTOR LAZLO: What for?
RICK: Your work.
VICTOR LAZLO: I try.
RICK: We all try. You succeed.​

Poor Lazlo has no idea of the subtext here, but it's immediately obvious to the viewer.

So! Give it a try. Sometimes subtlety can be more powerful than straightforwardness.

kehs

Banned
Subscribed, and properly marking the submission date, even though it's not in bright red letters. I'm even adding it to my calendar!

Ashes

Banned
Tell you what. You convince three people to agree with you, and it shall be done. ;)

Would I have to write up to that mark though?

And truth be told, I would only agree:

a, cause I don't think you would really mind all that much.
b, cause mikeworks would then enter,
c, and if you can write up a wall of text explaining 'subtext' then perhaps others ought to be given the same credit balance leaway so to speak. :p

If someone else posts that they needed subtext explained to them, then you have my vote mikeworks... wait... er, that didn't come out right.

Cyan

Banned
If someone else posts that they needed subtext explained to them, then you have my vote mikeworks... wait... er, that didn't come out right.
See, the subtext there was that everyone here is dumb and wouldn't have understood without a lengthy explanation! :p

Would I have to write up to that mark though?
See, that's one reason I kind of hesitate on upping the word limit. I think some people get intimidated and don't enter.

Ashes

Banned
See, the subtext there was that everyone here is dumb and wouldn't have understood without a lengthy explanation! :p

Print that out and sell that story to an agent! :p*

See, that's one reason I kind of hesitate on upping the word limit. I think some people get intimidated and don't enter.

You don't need 3500 words to write what I'm set to write. :p

I think somebody said in their crit I needed more words for my last story, 2000 words wasn't enough. But I used around ~1490, and had 500 words to spare.

*by jove! on second thoughts I think we've been had.

Irish

Damn straight. We need to go straight up Timedog again. Brevity. It's definitely easier on the mind.

You wouldn't have to write up to the 3500 word limit at all. I fully concur that brevity rocks socks; the sole reason I ask for this is because I'll have a short story due around January/February for a creative writing class and the minimum is 3500 words. I'd just much rather have the motivation to make a story for this thread that could then be edited into something for that class.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
You wouldn't have to write up to the 3500 word limit at all. I fully concur that brevity rocks socks; the sole reason I ask for this is because I'll have a short story due around January/February for a creative writing class and the minimum is 3500 words. I'd just much rather have the motivation to make a story for this thread that could then be edited into something for that class.

You cheeky bugger, you.

I think I have an idea that's actually good. Let's see if I can execute it in a way that makes sense.

Ashes

Banned
I count two. Unless Ashes decided to make his potential support official.

Round up one more and it's on!

I'm debating whether mike's inclusion is worth reading another 9000 words. :p

edit: I say, the buck is in your corner Cyan. It's your op. You won fair and square. And cyanship is no bad thing has been used before. Quite recently I might add. :)

Alfarif

Ok, I will throw in for the 3,500 just to help Mike out... I have no intention of writing anywhere near that limit. LOL

Cyan

Banned
So be it.

The word limit is 3500. Merry Christmas, Mike!

Of course, this means you better have a piece to turn in... ;)

Ashes

Banned
Merry Christmas everyone. Happy Holidays etc.

Just in case I don't post in the thread again before new years, have a Happy New Year as well. :)

So. Am I to expect a piece from Mr. Works?
Haha, nope, sorry. I've been feeling guilty about it all week too, but I found out that I'm giving the last speech at my best friend's wedding on Thursday, so I've been working on that. Felt bad that I got you guys to change the wordcount, so I'll make sure to write a bunch of critiques for people who do enter. Silverlining is that this challenge got me to come up with a concept which I'm pretty sure I'll end up using for my class!

Ashes

Banned
My story's 3500 words as well. I think it's too big to be read easily on desktop or laptop though... hmm....

I think I'll probably put a dropbox link here. Password protect pdf file or something.

Read it on whatever you're comfortable with - Kindle, ipad, nook, smartphones, laptop or even desktop computer....

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The Abridger

“Oh no, no no, this just won't do.”

These were the words of Jonathan Kepler Franks, the abridger commissioned by the Donaldson Brothers Publishing Company to trim the fat from the famous masterpiece of 18th century Russian literature Время летит завтра, commonly translated as Time Flies Tomorrow, by Feodosiya Tretyakov. The 1,357 paperback pages of tiny script the story of the early days of the Russian Empire required in its unedited form were simply too much for the casual reader. It was thus Franks' responsibility to cut the story told from the point of view of a group of young Russians whose fates were intertwined with each other and the birth of the Empire, ending with the promise of a great future for the nation shrouded in the melancholy shadow of imperialism and oppression, down to below 800. At the moment he was struggling with a passage of Tretyakov at his most romantic, when the young lovers conspire to meet at night in Moscow.

There, in that pale moonlight, Anastasia was waiting for Anatoliy. He was late and she was afraid and cold, worried for the young man, wanting to go seek him out to alleviate her trepidation. But she could not help to think of the story of Pyramus and Thisbe. Under their moon, beneath the mulberry tree, Thisbe awaited Pyramus, but was scared away by a lioness. When he came for her he thought his love was dead and took his own life as the thought of living after losing the great love of his life without ever getting the opportunity to hold her against his body was too much to bear. Thisbe, upon discovering his body, plunged the same blade still wet with his blood into her own heart, for lovers will always share the fate of the object of their affection. The fear that urged her to leave this garden Anastasia now felt to be her very own lioness, trying to chase her away to keep her and her love separated forever. But if they would not meet in this life, she thought, would the Gods take pity upon them, like they did upon those lovers of antiquity, and mourn their sad fate by using their passionate blood to paint the mulberry, allowing their unsatisfied love to live on for all eternity?

“What is this? What is this?” Franks mumbled as he crossed out the entire section with a red pen. “This has got to go.”

As he did so and was ready to go through another sheet of paper with his merciless ink he felt his chair began to tremble ever so slightly. He looked down, somewhat confused. There are never earthquakes here, he wondered. Despite the geographical details the trembling increased by the second, and soon he ducked under his desk as he felt the ceiling might give out. But it did not do so, as the quake subsided and he saw a beam of light between the floor and the ceiling. There, floating in mid-air in that beam was an old man, bald with a long grey beard. Franks stared at the man in wonder.

“I, I know you,” he said, leaning over the seat of the chair, still hiding under his desk.

“I should hope so,” the old man said with a distinct Russian accent.

“You're Tretyakov!”

“And you're the man ruining my life's work.”

“What?” Franks said bewildered by the accusation, and then he noticed the piles of paper spread out across the floor, most of them covered with big red Xs. “Oh, are you talking about abridging? That's not ruining anything! I'm helping people to understand your work!”

“If there is something in my book someone doesn't understand it's the fault of the reader, not the book.”

“Look, listen here,” Franks said as he crawled out from his hole and ceremoniously dusted his clothes. “It's all about balance, see? You can't spend 200 pages at the start setting up a scene. You can't spend 50 pages on a dream sequence that's mostly nonsense. And you certainly can't just write some convoluted mythological parallels without a damn good reason. I'm not even touching the subject that no one could possibly remember all these names. The problem with your Ruskies is that you clearly never had any editors, because this just won't do, buddy.”

The light went out, and the old Russian ghost descended onto the floor, brandishing his long bony finger in the abridger's face. “You understand nothing of literature!”

“And you understand nothing of writing! And I love literature, it's my life! That's why I'm doing this, so people can actually read this damn book!”

“I've had to deal with pipsqueaks like you since I was alive, you idiot! Just because you cut something out doesn't make it better.”

“No, but it means you have to read less nonsense.”

“Nonsense! You think my work is nonsense! You think Russian life is nonsense!”

Becoming vaguely aware he was in fact arguing with a ghost, Franks decided to adopt a more diplomatic approach.

“Now, I never meant it like that. All I am saying is that there are people who want to read your story, but don't want to read fourteen hundred pages of it.”

“You can tell an idiot if you ask them what a book is about and they give you the story.”

“Look, I don't know how things were in 18th century Russia, except apparently long-winded, but in this marketplace brevity is key. Brevity is the soul of wit, as the greatest writer who ever lived wrote.”

“Wit is for idiots, as is Shakespeare.”

“With that attitude, no wonder no one reads you anymore. Everything is for idiots. Do you want your brick of a book collecting dust in some old library next to damn Gothic romances and other outdated drivel?”

“I don't think I can reason with you, boy.”

“It's not me you need to reason with it. It's the Donaldson Brothers Publishing Company you have a beef with. I'm just doing a job here.”

“A very bad one at that.”

“No need to get personal. But now if you don't mind going back to heaven or hell or wherever you came from, I still need to fix this mess of yours.”

Franks turned around to his desk as he said that, but some secret vein told him that the Russian ghost behind took particular offence at these last words. He did not have time to react, however, as he felt those cold skeletal fingers wrapped around his shoulders.

“What are you doing!” he exclaimed. “Get your claws off me!”

“You said it's all about balance,” the ghost said. “I'll balance things out for you.”

Jonathan Kepler Franks opened his eyes, and shut them right away. He was no longer in his dim den, but in a snow covered forest, the white earth in the bright light of day harsh on his eyes.

“What's going on here?” he mumbled as he held his aching head.

“Don't you remember this forest?”

Franks turned around and saw Tretyakov, his deathly pale skin sickly in the winter sun. Looking around the landscape it was indeed familiar to the abridger, though not as familiar as the sight now fast approaching. He saw a group of people coming his way: a man and two boys.

“It's my father!” Franks said as he looked at the man with an axe flung over his shoulder.

“And your brother,” the ghost said. “And someone else.”

The sight of the small boy that trailed behind captured the abridger's gaze; he felt like a shipwrecked who was seeing a mirror for the first time in years.

“I, I remember this,” Franks said. “This forest, it's near the cabin our family rented one Christmas.”

He kept looking as the father and his two boys went to a small fir tree, and the man brushed the snow off the needle-laden branches. The small boy stood back as the father got ready to chop the down the tree.

“This, this is not how it goes!” Franks said. “I was close to the tree, and it fell on me.”

“A tree fell on you?” the ghost said. “That's stupid.”

“It's small and light! It didn't even hurt! But I always remembered that, caught beneath the Christmas tree in the snow. Every Christmas I told my brother about it, and he would say it never happened, but I know it did!”

The tree came down, breaking the powder covering the land and trapping no child underneath it. The man took the trunk and began dragging it away, the boys following him. Franks held his head, his headache growing worse. “This is not right,” he muttered.

“It was a nonsensical memory anyway,” Tretyakov said. “You're better off without it.”

Jon Kepler Franks turned towards the literary ghost but saw no one, and the white of snow all around had been replaced with the white of walls: the clinical environment he found himself in had the distinct sterile atmosphere of a hospital. The corridor was lit by a litany of fluorescent lamps, one of which flickered in and out of existence at even intervals, casting a ghastly pall over the place. Franks walked disorientated until he came to a large window, behind which he saw a company of cribs, only one of them occupied. A helpless baby slept soundly and serenely as Franks looked at him through the glass. The cradle had a name tag which read “Jonathan Franks.”

“Where's my middle name?” he said, to no one in particular.

“Middle names are superfluous,” he heard an all-too familiar voice.

Jon Franks sat on the floor with his back against his desk and his eyes fixed on eternity. All around him lay pieces of paper with red marks all over them, signifying all the excess removed.

Alfarif

My story's 3500 words as well. I think it's too big to be read easily on desktop or laptop though... hmm....

I think I'll probably put a dropbox link here. Password protect pdf file or something.

Read it on whatever you're comfortable with - Kindle, ipad, nook, smartphones, laptop or even desktop computer....

Is it the formatting that makes it hard to read on a computer? I usually just copy and email stuff to my Kindle.

Ashes

Banned
Is it the formatting that makes it hard to read on a computer? I usually just copy and email stuff to my Kindle.

Nowadays, I read on my ipad. Long forums posts get the option of a more readable view in the latest safari update. And tidypub is pretty good as well.

I just printed my story for somebody else, and it came to 19 pages*. That's a small booklet... :(

I feel a little uneasy asking somebody to read around 3500 words on desktop, laptop.... :/

Thinking about it, the drop box thing is actually better then tinypub, cause it's under my control. I can choose font, styling, delivery, and get to delete it when I want. As soon as I put something in the public folder, it automatically generates a url to copy paste to wherever or whoever I want.

It is actually the most private as well. I'm not sharing with the public so to speak, just fellow writing gaffers.

I can read pdfs on my kindle so that shouldn't be a problem for you... but let me know if there is a problem.

And if anybody wants to read on their desktop they can.. obviously... :)

*text size 16 though and double spaced... normal size, it's about 10 pages... a friend of my mine likes short stories, so I just pass them along... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom