• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a good grip for the 3DS? aka my hands hurt after using this thing

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So yeah I got a 3DS at launch, and I can still not play it comfortably. I think it might have to do with how close the buttons are on either side to each other and the lack of grip. I haven't had this problem with any other handheld I've owned.

Is there any decent grips to use that alleviates this?

Played two races of Mario Kart on my friends 3DS and felt the same way.

That and the control stick feels like there is no grip at all

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Played two races of Mario Kart on my friends 3DS and felt the same way.

That and the control stick feels like there is no grip at all

51WreM8Fs4L.jpg

ultron87

Yeah, I've been playing Radiant Historia on my 3DS, but I think I am going to switch back to my DS Lite because it has been hurting my hand.

hatchx

Banned
thirded, especially one that makes the d-pad usable.

I saw this on Amazon but don't know how it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBSR46/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I ordered this so I'll have impressions this week (feel free to PM me, I might not make a new thread or remember to bump this one).

I play with the 3DS on it's charger. It makes it bigger and easier for my big hands to hold it.

Frankestick is a bad choice because it will not work for any games that doesn't need the frankenstick. Meaning you can't play Mario Kart or Mario or, well, anything other than Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Ace Combat,

Eric C

So yeah I got a 3DS at launch, and I can still not play it comfortably. I think it might have to do with how close the buttons are on either side to each other and the lack of grip. I haven't had this problem with any other handheld I've owned.

Is there any decent grips to use that alleviates this?

I have a grip on every single one of my handhelds. I've had my 3DS since launch, and I still haven't found one that puts the d-pad into the "perfect" position for me yet. But, yes most of the grips available do make playing with the slide pad and main buttons much more comfortable for me.

I was actually thinking about trying this out too, to see if I could move my hand lower and hit the d-pad comfortably

thirded, especially one that makes the d-pad usable.

I saw this on Amazon but don't know how it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBSR46/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't used that one yet.

I really want one shaped like a 360 controller but WITH extra long handles so I can slide my hand down to use the d-pad.

Circle Pad Pro. Only thing I can see helping with this.

I don't know you can't use the shoulder buttons for games that don't support it, so it might not be ideal.

Circle Pad Pro. Only thing I can see helping with this.

Frankenstick

...the Circle Pad Pro isn't a grip, it adds additional buttons.

Do keep in mind that the system's original R button is a bit out of reach so anything that needs the R button that doesn't support the Circle Pad Pro will be nigh unplayable.

Don't buy the Circle Pad Pro as a grip, you'll be wasting more money and be adding issues in the process.

Cricle pad pro, I'm dying for it for this reason. The amazon one always looked interesting but I discovered it after the circle pad pro was announced :p

And to the person above that said it doesn't count, it definitely has more of a controller curvature in the back, as seen in the pics.

Cricle pad pro, I'm dying for it for this reason. The amazon one always looked interesting but I discovered it after the circle pad pro was announced :p

And to the person above that said it doesn't count, it definitely has more of a controller curvature in the back, as seen in the pics.

Hope you only like being able to play Circle Pad Pro-only games on your 3DS.

I have this one and it rocks.

Very comfortable, makes playing MK soooooo much better. It is kind of ugly but form follows function I always say.

Ummm, doesn't the circle pad pro have its own shoulder button?

It does, but unless the game is programmed to look for input in the IR port on the 3DS its non-operational, same with all the shoulder buttons and second circle pad.

Which means that unless developers start developing all their games to look for the IR port, you'll find that the circle pad pro only works on games that are designed for it. (I.E. MGS3D, RE, etc.)

I found the original DS to be strangely comfortable, but maybe that's because I've been using it since it came out. The sides are a little rough on my hands when I'm lying in bed. Otherwise it's aces, and has one of my favorite handheld D-pads.

I found the original DS to be strangely comfortable, but maybe that's because I've been using it since it came out. The sides are a little rough on my hands when I'm lying in bed. Otherwise it's aces, and has one of my favorite handheld D-pads.
Yep, the DS Phat has a much better d-pad than the DS Lite.

There hasn't been a nice comfortable handheld for over a decade!

This "Thinning handheld" trend has made for some pretty uncomfortable handhelds for men with big hands, high testosterone and big penises such as you and I. The OG Game Boy brick was narrow, but was acceptable for its thickness, as was the Game Gear and nomad extremely comfortable to hold. Then it went downhill from there.

Has that stopped me from playing mobile? Not at all, but I do miss the days of having an inch thick slate in my hands that curved to actually fit my hands, and not merely 'drop' into them.

Although the MK7 wheel was listed, the Memorex wheel is quite comfortable too. It has a few drawbacks, but if you're just looking for a good grip while playing MK7, it does a good job and is available in stores (saw it at a Best Buy and Target yesterday).

Eric C

Is there any way for me to buy one of these?
F9TKL.jpg

http://home.cybergadget.co.jp/products/4544859011931.html

I tried ordering from some site, but they cancelled my order after a months because they were out of stock and weren't getting any more.

I fucking hate the circle pad.

I also would like to know this. Slider pad thing is terrible.

Amazon.co.jp has it listed as in stock and ready to ship

BLACK
- BLUE - RED - WHITE

BUT IT SAYS ON THE PRODUCT PAGE THEY WON'T SHIP IT OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.

You could probably use a shipping forwarding service or something.

EDIT

They have PINK too

Bullza2o

The other day I was also wondering this. Then I read about how ergonomic the Circle Pad Pro is, so I'll probably pick one up in February.

Mudkips

Banned
Amazon.co.jp has it listed as in stock and ready to ship

BLACK
- BLUE - RED - WHITE

BUT IT SAYS ON THE PRODUCT PAGE THEY WON'T SHIP IT OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.

You could probably use a shipping forwarding service or something.

PAGING JAPAN GAF.
Paging the holy fuck out of Japan GAF.

Get these fucking things and send them to me please shit fuck.

jackdoe

I had the same issue on DS lite, probably worse. There hasn't been a nice comfortable handheld for over a decade!
I don't know, I thought DS Lite and PSP were rather comfortable. Or at least they don't have sharp jutting corners that cut into your palm if you hold it normally.

Eric C

While I was looking for those slide pad things I found this.

Looks like it MIGHT be a good grip for both grip comfort and d-pad use

www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004GECC5M/
Also not shipped outside of Japan

jLYjI.jpg
N1iA4.jpg

dW66F.jpg
16N3y.jpg

sfiCo.jpg

But I can't read what the reviews are saying because I can't read Japanese.

It does, but unless the game is programmed to look for input in the IR port on the 3DS its non-operational, same with all the shoulder buttons and second circle pad.

Which means that unless developers start developing all their games to look for the IR port, you'll find that the circle pad pro only works on games that are designed for it. (I.E. MGS3D, RE, etc.)

Holy crap that makes me mad. The 3DS kills my hand but I love many of the games for it. My whole plan was to save Mario for this thing....

Edit - Maybe they can patch older games?

Top Bottom