• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City coming to PSN (via PS2 classics)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

SmokyDave

Would make more sense to do an HD collection for a series as big as GTA imo

Definitely. The PS2 versions kinda sucked, graphically. No 3D rims, no 3D engines in the cars. Boo. Make an HD collection, use the Xbox or PC version as a base and make it multi-platform.

Massa

I'm starting to dislike the PS2 classics program. These games should be ported to the PS3, not emulated.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So basically what 360's been offering for years. Don't know why they don't at least do GTA 3 HD since they clearly renewed the contracts for the phone port

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Sony is adding Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to PlayStation Network as downloadable PS2 Classics in the future. Both games were re-rated by the ESRB as PlayStation 3 games. Gran Theft Auto: San Andreas was not on the list.

FGEdw.jpg

Fjordson

Might get lynched for this, but Vice City should come to iOS. III looks pretty nice on my 4S.

But yeah, best case scenario would be a nice HD collection of all three PS2 games.

Definitely. The PS2 versions kinda sucked, graphically. No 3D rims, no 3D engines in the cars. Boo. Make an HD collection, use the Xbox or PC version as a base and make it multi-platform.

They could easily release these two for $40, and probably SA by itself for $29.99

It would sell

Might get lynched for this, but Vice City should come to iOS. III looks pretty nice on my 4S.

But yeah, best case scenario would be a nice HD collection of all three PS2 games.

I've got III on my iPhone/iPad. Boy those controls. Holy hell...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope they release GTA:SA as an HD PSN/XBLA game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Not a problem on Vice City ;).

The PS2 versions of VC and SA didn't have custom soundtracks (although VC did have a pretty awesome in-game soundtrack). Which is why a straight emulated version of VC for PS2 is shitsux. A port of the Xbox/PC version would be much better.

elektrixx

Banned
PS2 Classics?

No sale. As someone who played these on PC and still owns Xbox copies, I refuse to lower myself to the PS2's level.

After all these years, this is all they've got? Fuck 'em.

REALLY hoping they release GTAIV Complete Edition on PSN soon (thinking they will since LA Noire and RDR are up there). Would defnitely buy that and these.

Unless they improve the framerate, I don't see the point. The framerate was terrible on the PS2 versions.

And how'd you assume the frame rate won't be improved? If it stay true to past PS2 ports, expect 720p and 60fps. ;)

(Unless of course, I am missing something and these are straight up PS2 port with no up scaling or changes).

Ahh! Just remembered God Hand and more "ports". So wait... If PS3 is now capable of ISO dumps, why aren't they allowing emulated backward compatibility?

If true, I rather pay $5 for a PS2 emulation software than this.

They can't emulate all games. Far from it.

mclem

They can't emulate all games. Far from it.

Even so... I'm struggling to work out why *this* can work but they can't take the executable side of it, distribute it for free, and modify it to work with the assets from an original PS2 disc. Basically, the functionality of 360 software backwards compatability, with downloading an appropriate emulator for the game.

Anteater

Does the ps2 games run the same on the ps3 when emulated? There were a lot of slowdowns and shitty framerate for the original GTA3 if I remember correctly, I wonder if it'll run better

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WHY.jpg

WHY the PS2 versions? They are ASS in comparison to the farrrr superior and non-blurry pixel filter and Custom Soundtrack (come on, you can do this now on the PS3!) X-box version. :|

Because Sony/Rockstar are lazy and it's a quick .iso rip to dump on PSN. I know.

They should really do HD ports of these. I have an original 60gig PS3 so I'll be passing, but I would get Vice City on ios even though the controls are like painful diarrhea.

Even so... I'm struggling to work out why *this* can work but they can't take the executable side of it, distribute it for free, and modify it to work with the assets from an original PS2 disc. Basically, the functionality of 360 software backwards compatability, with downloading an appropriate emulator for the game.

I don't know how this works exactly, but I'm assuming there is more to it than just making an emulator.

Besides, even if it is only an emulator they are making for each game, they can make more money this way.

Pezking

Tried out my old PS2 version of "Vice City" on my 60GB-PS3 last year.

These games didn't age well at all.

I can live with the outdated graphics, especially when upscaled on my old PS3.
But the controls are just awful.

Are we sure these are through PS2 classics and not proper HD ports/remakes? Wouldn't both cases be rated by ESRB as PS3 games?

I really don't want an ISO dump of these games. PS2 emulated games on PS3 are fine for older, smaller gems that would never get an HD port like God Hand or Odin Sphere, but GTA needs an HD port/remake with updated graphics, controls, trophy, cover system, etc...GTA is just one of those games.

Also, I searched on esrb.com and didn't see gtaiii or gtavc rated for PS3.

Top Bottom