• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VERSUS BATTLECAST - DO A BARREL ROLLLLLLLL while kicking butt and taking names!!

Trojan X

Banned
ROr2S.png

xBeO5.png

(UPDATE - 25th November 2012 - Episode 7. Coming soon...)

VERSUS BATTLECAST is an online TV show made by gamers for gamers. In each episode, we highlight rival contenders in their best form, provide insightful information and leave you, the viewer, to decide which one should take the crown as the Versus Battlecast champion. Take notes for we may provide you with a breakdown on certain titles in hope to improve your skills. The best part for us gamers is all videos will feature Advanced gameplay only, so expect more great gameplay in the future from classic and recent titles that will hopefully leave your jaw on the floor or put a big smile on your face with satisfaction.

This is our first mega 45mins show! In this week's episode, we will unleash a triple threat with Virtua Fighter 3, Dead or Alive 2, and Tekken 3, go down memory lane with Kung Fu Master, and find out who took the crown in Episode 4. Grab some popcorn and be awed watching this incredible episode that will surely make you cry with happy memories and brilliant insights! (Click on image to watch)

This is our first 30 minutes show and new intro! In Episode 5, we went head 2 head with Quake III Arena by id Software and Unreal Tournament 2004 by Epic Games, we went down Memory Lane to give tribute to one of the best arcade racing games of all time, SEGA Rally, and we announced the winner of Episode 3 that was between Daytona USA and Ridge Racer 2.

Every section of this episode is a top highlight so please, turn up volume, set your screen to full set at 1080p, and get some popcorn goodness so you can watch the action with tears in your eyes. (Click on image to watch)

In Episode 4, we went head 2 head with Last Bronx by SEGA and Soul Edge by Namco, gone down Memory Lane with one of the best arcade racing game of all time, SCUD RACE, and we announce the winner of Episode 2.

SEGA fans will love this episode for we show off how Last Bronx is played at top form, given some insight on what the Japanese thought of the title in its peak time, and providing a kickass showcase of SCUD RACE running on the Model 3 board! Fear not, Namco fans are not neglected for we our Soul Edge re-visit will light a spark in your soul that will bring you back to the game. Yes, the Soul Edge introduction is superb! (Click on image to watch)

In Episode 3, we went head 2 head with two 3D arcade racing games that changed the face of the industry in the mid-90s, DAYTONA USA and RIDGE RACER 2. Also, look out for the amazing trailers that we produced in tribute to both SEGA's Daytona USA and Namco's Ridge Racer 2. They are indeed powerful and super exciting!

In both game, we played at our very best so you can see the titles in their optimum performance so you can decide which one should take the rivals crown. Take massive notes of the exciting playthrough of both titles because it will leave your jaw on the floor! (Click on image to watch)

The show that started it all... In episode 1, we went head 2 head with SEGA INDY 500, a famous F1 arcade racing game from SEGA running on the Model 2 arcade board, going up against ACE DRIVER Victory Lap, another F1 arcade game from Namco running on the System 22 board. In this episode, we played at our very best so you can see the titles in their optimum performance; however please excuse our ACE DRIVER play due to controller calibration issues (extreme sensitivity, 45' degree turn from a 1mm turn in steering, which causes speed lost). Also note that a Voice Over is absent in episode 1 as it was the first of something new.

In episode 2, we went head 2 head with two benchmark 3D fighting games of the mid-90s, Sega's VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 and Namco's TEKKEN 2. The debate between these two massive titles has been going on for years but we've settled the score here. Look out for the Virtua Fighter 2 gameplay for you'll see no slouch performance here! (Click on images to watch)

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST - Stay on top of the latest updates by keeping in check with the playlist and subscribing to the channel.

FACEBOOK PAGE - Contribute to the show, discover more videos and speak direct to the rest of the team by joining the Facebook page.

Enjoy!

Wish I could support you more by contributing some comments, but I've got work to do. Meh. This is a fantastic way to show off older arcade greats—you ever thought of going further into the past, like turn-of-the-decade comparisons? Something to consider for the future.

Watching EP 2.

VF2 does look good. There's a stylization to it, coming from the technical limitations, that is more appealing IMO to the detailed modern ones.

xemumanic

Excellent new episode as always. Someone had asked for Virtua Cop 2 vs. Time Crisis comparison on the YouTube page, and I think that would be a great one. Can't wait for episode 6.

Trojan X

Banned
"Turn of the Decade" sounds like a good idea and something I had in mind. Will keep you posted.

Virtua Cop vs Time Crisis is definitely on the radar. No way we could miss those massive series. Just got to work something out. :)

Trojan X

Banned
Watching EP 2.

VF2 does look good. There's a stylization to it, coming from the technical limitations, that is more appealing IMO to the detailed modern ones.

Virtua Fighter 2 is an stellar of a game after all these years. It is true what you said about the stylization too. I've received over several emails from people that talked about that episode. They were shocked how badass Virtua Fighter 2 plays when you figure the game out! Awesome.

You should watch Episode 4 to see who won between Tekken 2 and Virtua Fighter 2. You might learn something that you didn't know! :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Great episode TrojanX! Very well done mate :)

Trojan X

Banned
Thanks isamu! I hope that Episode 5 is better or just as good as the previous episode. I'm happy to see people sharing the love in the comment section.

I hope more people gets to watch it. :) It's 100% worth while.

Last Bronx versus Soul Edge may very well be the closest match-up yet! I prefer Last Bronx's approach, as it focuses on intricate move-sets, clever mechanics, and much better flow in-round. But both games are quite excellent for the time, and Project Soul was the shining cornerstone of Namco's fighting game line-up back in the late 90s.

—May I suggest a future match-up? Try pitting SEGA's OutRun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWiTXq4yYY) up against Konami's WEC Le Mans 24 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l8vYJi1OeU), both released, shown off, and covered by the major arcade fanzines of the day with great enthusiasm. They're both from the same era of arcade gaming, having hydraulic, reactive cabinets to game on, and they both had different approaches to sprite scaling-based racing action. I also think the latter game needs more attention, being a historical treasure of Konami's rich arcade history. Most Gaffers probably know what OutRun is by now.

Trojan X

Banned
Last Bronx versus Soul Edge may very well be the closest match-up yet! I prefer Last Bronx's approach, as it focuses on intricate move-sets, clever mechanics, and much better flow in-round. But both games are quite excellent for the time, and Project Soul was the shining cornerstone of Namco's fighting game line-up back in the late 90s.

—May I suggest a future match-up? Try pitting SEGA's OutRun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWiTXq4yYY) up against Konami's WEC Le Mans 24 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l8vYJi1OeU), both released, shown off, and covered by the major arcade fanzines of the day with great enthusiasm. They're both from the same era of arcade gaming, having hydraulic, reactive cabinets to game on, and they both had different approaches to sprite scaling-based racing action. I also think the latter game needs more attention, being a historical treasure of Konami's rich arcade history. Most Gaffers probably know what OutRun is by now.

That's a great idea. I'll consider it. Let me know here if you have any other thoughts and/or ideas.

I agree. People that didn't know about Last Bronx, which is actually a lot of people, automatically say that Soul Edge is the better game and offers plenty that Last Bronx doesn't offer. That was the case until quite a few of them saw episode 4 of the show. Even my friend didn't realise the depth of the mechanics within Last Bronx's system. Now, they can't decide between the two. Some of my friends came over to my place so I could explain the depth and complexities between both titles. My friends now know which title they prefer but it was a tough decision to make. :)

Trojan X

Banned

Just out of curiousity, what do you think about putting Gears of War 3 against Vanquish? Sounds like a blast? :)

That sounds...interesting, to say the least. I'd personally be more interested in older rivalries, but you can do what you like too, and I'm not the only viewer in the audience.

Trojan X

Banned
That sounds...interesting, to say the least. I'd personally be more interested in older rivalries, but you can do what you like too, and I'm not the only viewer in the audience.

Just as I thought. It's all good, I was only pondering but its wonderful to get your feedback. The hooks of VB are the older rivalries, gaming insights, guides and expert plays.

Whenever I watch the newest episodes of VB, I get the feeling that I'm watching one of the great enthusiast productions made back in the days of the Dreamcast, wherein voracious game journalists would gab on all sorts of crazy stuff and it was cool and happy and fireworks. That's a good thing, and I think that alternating between more contemporary material and older game rivalries would be the best way to approach this kind of show concept.

—Is it just you working on VB, or do you have any other colleagues helping out?

Trojan X

Banned
Whenever I watch the newest episodes of VB, I get the feeling that I'm watching one of the great enthusiast productions made back in the days of the Dreamcast, wherein voracious game journalists would gab on all sorts of crazy stuff and it was cool and happy and fireworks. That's a good thing, and I think that alternating between more contemporary material and older game rivalries would be the best way to approach this kind of show concept.

—Is it just you working on VB, or do you have any other colleagues helping out?

That's the approach indeed and this is only the beginning. Gamesmaster, Bad Influence, CyberNet, GamesWorld, Violet Berlin's Gamepad. Versus Battlecast was created with inspiration from those exciting programmes that really captured the essence of gaming. Soon as some of the things get sorted out, Versus Battlecast will turn with an additional approach that will hopefully create more celebrity stardom.

When VB started it was just me, then when episode 3 kicked off people started coming on board. Further people assisting with the show is more than welcome. :)

Trojan X

Banned
Just a quick heads up. FINALLY! Versus Battlecast Episode 6 will be LIVE later today or tomorrow!

Thanks for waiting for this one is a MEGA 45 minutes show packed full of content and showcasing nothing but expert plays, insights, secrets and other surprises! Look out for it and spread the word!

I'll update again when the show is LIVE.

Trojan X

Banned
FINALLY! Episode 6 is now LIVE and it's awesome! It's Virtua Fighter 3 vs Dead or Alive 2 vs Tekken 3!

This episode is a super must watch and I'm not just saying that in attempt to sell you in! Honestly, if you are a gamer then you MUST watch this episode! It's THAT good.

For Virtua Fighter 3 fans, watch this episode for it teaches you how to perform the Korean Step:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXMim20eNs&feature=BFa&list=SPEDED0C203D71D110&lf=list_related

Enjoy!

Trojan X

Banned
xBeO5.png

(Quick update - Versus Battlecast Episode 7. Coming soon...)

After a long break it's time to get back to work. Look out for this episode 7 when it hits!

Trojan X

Banned
Excellent. Love what you've done with these, looking forward to episode 7!

Thanks Kyouji. Sorry that we have taken so long to get this one rolling. Trust me, you're going to love this episode! It's going to be very informative and wild.

Top Bottom