• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Standard OS level functions for next gen (console) wishlist

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Seriously, current consoles are missing some nice features. Here's a mix of some things that all the new consoles should have (some are obviously already present):

Screenshot utility
Group text chat
Group voice chat
Game installs
Custom soundtracks
Picture adjust (Gamma/Overscan)
Friends List Grouping
Steam-like Groups
Gifting/Trading
Button remapping
HID drivers (yeah right!)

add

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The ability to organize my digital games how I like them. I want some sort of virtual "collection".

On my Xbox, sometimes I don't even feel like I own the games that I own. They just get buried in some lists.

At the very least, something like the Wii channels or iOS would do, but I think someone could do much better.

There needs to be a qr code driven manner to input redemption codes through Kinect, PS eye, any webcam when visiting the official website or through official iOS and Android apps. There's no reason for anyone to ever enter a 16 digit code with an onscreen keyboard.

feel

Deeper notifications settings. There's notifications for achievements, for messages, for invites, for friends getting online, etc, and depending on the mood or what I'm playing I want to see some of those and not the others, so they should have separate toggles.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Ability to power the USB when the system is off (my TV has this feature, and it's pretty nice). Might come in handy for charging things.

It always amazes me how many console gamers essentially just want PCs
A convenience of a console with the features of a PC, why not? These are simple things that can be added easily.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mobile apps for remote control is absolutely MANDATORY.

RedSwirl

Non gaming 3rd party apps.

Facebook, twitter, word processor, email. Etc.

Have a non gaming App Store.

This is the one thing want most in next gen consoles. The problem is making these consoles an attractive environment for all the developers who work on iOS. Microsoft can probably do it if the environment is similar enough to Windows (which it probably will be to Windows 8). Don't know about Sony and Nintendo.

MrPliskin

Banned
It always amazes me how many console gamers essentially just want PCs

Thanks for your input?

We don't want PC's. We don't want to waste our money and time finding drivers, buying new hardware, tweaking clock speeds, and installing mods to ensure compatibility. You guy's can keep that for your ultra resolutions and frame rates. I'll stick with easy plug n play games and spent my extra cash on games.

Non gaming 3rd party apps.

Facebook, twitter, word processor, email. Etc.

Have a non gaming App Store.

I'd honestly see MS and Sony trying to make their own Gaming Social network before they dive into fully featured FB / Twitter again. In fact, they'd be smart to make their own social network and just link those accounts to find existing friends with like interests, etc.

rpmurphy

In addition to groups/communities, what I'd really love to see is Google Calendar integration or some other calendar implementation so you could set up gaming events, invite friends, and such from within the console.

onlywei

Neo Member
I want the ability to play any kind of video file streamed from another PC hooked up to my local router.

I hate how my PS3 and Xbox 360 both suck at streaming .mkv files and any files that use .srt subtitle files.

McHuj

This is a more of a system design feature instead of just an OS, but instant on. No more boot times. If MS/Sony want to be a set-top box, act like one, when I push power I'm immediately at the main console menu.

Slayven

Seriously, current consoles are missing some nice features. Here's a mix of some things that all the new consoles should have (some are obviously already present):

Screenshot utility
Group text chat
Group voice chat
Game installs
Custom soundtracks
Friends List Grouping
Steam-like Groups
Gifting/Trading
Button remapping
HID drivers (yeah right!)

add
I was just thinking of making this thread. Saving anytime and video recording would be my first ones to add.

RedSwirl

I want the ability to play any kind of video file streamed from another PC hooked up to my local router.

I hate how my PS3 and Xbox 360 both suck at streaming .mkv files and any files that use .srt subtitle files.

So basically, mkv support. The problem with mkvs is that almost nothing plays them.

The ability to boot the console directly into a screen with all my games on it, so I can pick one and go. It would be nice if they gave me the option to choose how they're displayed (text only or box art, how many per page) and sorted (alphabetical/most recent/custom folders?), but honestly it's not necessary. Just give me my damn games, with nothing else to click through and minimal loading times, please.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Customisable Home Screen/panel/boxes/page. Let me put what is important to me right there at the start, easy to get to.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Since cameras will likely be standard for next-gen gaming devices (Microsoft and Sony at least), I'd like to see them expand in-game parties and versus lobbies to have video chat -- similar to TinyChat or any other web-based video chat.

Consoles should have a ridiculous amount of multi-tasking capabilities next-gen, and they should be rather responsive. Both Microsoft and Sony's OS's are rather sluggish due to insufficient OS resources that both companies didn't liberally push for with the development of the Xbox 360 and PS3.

This should not be an issue at all next-gen, and Vita shows that even a handheld can have an extremely responsive OS that multitasks well.

I would expect next-gen to take things even further w/r/t social gaming features like video chat. That's the biggie for me, anyway.

Agent X

Deeper notifications settings. There's notifications for achievements, for messages, for invites, for friends getting online, etc, and depending on the mood or what I'm playing I want to see some of those and not the others, so they should have separate toggles.

I'd like it if the consoles would have an LED that would alert you if you've got a message or invite, even if the machine is in sleep mode. The Wii already does this (light around the disc slot), and I understand the PS Vita also has a similar feature (light in the PS button), but it would be nice to have this type of functionality on all of the new systems.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cross-game text chat that won't lag the game/console/platform when brought up/taken down
Cross-game voice.
TEXT CHAT STANDARD IN CONSOLE GAMES (Fucks sake, why is MGO4 the only one that does it this gen!?)
Friends list update
Less ads on my dashboard with the sole exception of the marketplace. You know the place that sells shit!

Alex

Steam-like functionality + screenshots/video recording + sleep mode/quick save.

Don't wanna bog it down with too much

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Cross-game text chat that won't lag the game/console/platform when brought up/taken down
They should scrap the current thing altogether. It's the most annoying thing ever, especially when there are 10+ people in the chatroom. But it seems like an easy fix, though, since they are RAM related issues.

The ability to annotate save files. I frequently have multiple saves, especially for RPGs and it's easy to forget what file is what especially after some time has passed.

I also want the system to keep track of how long I've played each game even if the game itself doesn't.

I want to delete Achievements/Trophies and remove games entirely from my profile, particularly if this stuff carries over between generations.

This! I have about 8-12 games I've rented and hated that I wish I could delete the trophies for along with a couple of 0% entries.

hatchx

Banned
Is it crazy to think I could play a game, exit, play a round of another game, and then continue back on the first game....all without saving?

Is this possible? It'd be amazing. Something I love about the Virtual Console on 3DS. This should be possible as long as I don't have to change a disc.

Also, the playtime analysis of the 3DS is awesome. Not sure if my Ps3 has something similar, but I like the 3DS page view setup.

I want to delete Achievements/Trophies and remove games entirely from my profile, particularly if this stuff carries over between generations.

Do really need games to compensate for that when it's your tv that is zooming on on the signal? Just have your TV on "Just Scan" rather than the zoomed modes.

How are they gonna do that exactly? By increasing the speed of light and rewiring the internet?
My 3DS doesn't lag as much as my ps3 when I push the home button and want to do other activities that are allowed. So yeah, increase the speed of light and rewire the shit.

Top Bottom