• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Indie Games! February 2012!

scaled.php

Man time is flying! 2012 is almost over, with only 11 more months to go. Welcome to the Xbox Live Indie Games thread where we talk about everything that is made by independent people and companies mad for use and enjoyment on Xbox Live.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

(Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s worth doing.)

1goldaward_xblig.gif

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

screen3.jpg

screen2.jpg

This month the gold award goes to Evil Quest, an RPG by Chaosoft Games. This is a story of evil and revenge. It isn't the prettiest or best sounding game this month, but it has a charm about it that shouldn't be glossed over by anyone into RPGs. It's classic gameplay takes me back to the days of Soul Blazer and Legend of Gaia. There's a deep inventory system, an arsenal of magic spells and huge boss battles to test them with. Then there is the fact that you play as the bad guy without the option or pressures of being good. Feels nice for a change.

1silveraward_xblig.gif

The Silver award, for games that are incredible, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner. In any other month, any of these could have earned it!

screen3.jpg

I had a lot of fun with Ninja Sneaking 2 from WINGLAY. I liked the first one as well. You play as a red headed, pigtail wearing, female ninja who is infiltrating a rival ninja compound. Enemies have vision cones that you must avoid or it's back to the loading screen. With it's spiked walls and floaty jumping, Ninja Sneaking 2 plays like a slow Super Meat Boy. Right trigger gives the ability to slash with a sword and holding down the "X" button allows the player to cling to ceilings. Very simple but nice visuals and good music. This is a decently polished game that I think you al should give a try.

=================

screen4.jpg

Ocean Drive Challenge from need1D is straight up Sega's classic arcade racer, Outrun. Everything from the ocean view and palm trees to the stripes in the road and even a end of race map, is just as you remembered it from 25 years ago, only now it's all in HD. You get to select from three drivers, each with their own car and attributes, Acceleration, top speed and handling. You select from manual or automatic transmission and then you get to select from three songs, I think they're all techno. I liked two of them anyway.

The gears only go from "low" to "high" but once you get into high gear the car starts really moving and it feels good. There is a good amount of traffic and when you hit the back of a truck going 200mph, the only thing that happens is you come to a halt and bounce back, which I don't mind considering what really should happen in that situation. It's not realistic but it keeps things moving and I like that.

=================

screen4.jpg

Hypership Still Out of Control from our very own FunInfusedGames at...Fun Infused Games. Infused with a lot of fun, this game is a sequel of sorts to HSOOC which I believe was brought out in 2011. It's a top down space shooter going back to games like Life Force but with a twist; not only can you not stop, you actually keep speeding up. It's a hilarious and fun take on the genre and it works very well. Along the way there are coins to collect and obstacles to either dodge or destroy. it becomes hectic pretty fast and the agle ship will cause you to make some frantic mistakes.

The visuals are retro aliased sprites and very colorful. I believe there is four player co-op.

=================

screen2.jpg

Little Racers STREET from Milkstone Studios S.L. is a racing title that plays like R. C. Pro Am for the NES if you remember that one. In LRS you have a bird's eye view of the action while you boost and drift your way to victory. The game is fast, smooth and pretty, which is pretty much everything you could ask for from a racer.
=================

screen1.jpg

Block Zombies by Nostatic Software was one of those games that I wasn’t too excited for until I started playing it. You’re alone on a farm, armed with a gun and surrounded by zombies. The action starts off with a slow single shot weapon that you can trade in for more powerful guns and distractions. As the game progresses, zombies become faster and more abundant.

The map seems like a good size and there is a crystal mining element that leads the progression of the game.

=================

screen2.jpg

I’m not sure how I feel about commercial titles and publishers (big and small) on the service. It really is a double edged sword. Games like this could bring more traffic to XBLIG but could also overshadow smaller titles and studios that the service was meant for.

But no matter how undecided I am about my feeling of Activision and Gameloft on XBLIG, there is no denying that Dark Reign Redux by Magnetar Games and Activision is a solid RTS and worth checking out. I’ve never heard of Dark Reign until this month, but it is obviously a port of an older PC title. It features CGI cut scenes and some really nice 2D visuals that harken back to the days of the early Command and Conquer.

Like it or not, working with publishers is a bold new step for XBLIG. I’m thinking we’ll see more of this in the future. The recent announcement of increased space to 500mb for development will make this a question of not if but when.

=================

1bronzeaward_xblig.gif

The Bronze Award, not the best games out this month, but every one of these is still either great, or has a really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying.

Lootfest: Live Design

Lootfest: Live Design from Gamefarm was a neat looking game. I admit that I have never gotten into the Mine Craft and clones so I couldn't tell you if this game is hot or hot garbage. All I know is that it has a ton of options, nice visuals and the ability to build a bunch of different things.

Turbo Rocket 3

I had a good time with Turbo Rocket 3. At the start you get to choose between a rocket propelled “thing” to control or one that controls like a traditional twin stick. Upon choosing the rocket, I immediately crashed into the wall directly to my left. I quickly switched to the twin stick version that looks a little like a ball rolling and the game opened up for me.

The object is to simply destroy all enemies on the screen with bullets that pour out smooth and fast. The enemies consist of swarmer types that don’t shoot, turrets and mobile shooting types. The frame rate is a little slow. My wife noticed it more than I did, so I can’t say that I was too bothered by it. It’s a dark game with minimal color. The walls are made of multilayered polygons which is a good look considering the alternative could have simply been flat polygon walls. It was a nice way to add detail.

Space Fighter 400 Training

I decided to give Space Fighter 4000 Training by Fednet Software some love because it has solid controls and offers a good time bombing buildings. A flight combat game similar to the Ace Combat series, this probably shouldn’t have made it to bronze without a couple more play troughs because there could be some fundamental flaws when trying to play beyond just messing around, but that’s all speculation.

What I do know is that they didn’t screw up the basics. They could be tighter (the axis felt like it was above the fighter jet instead of on it), but they work well enough. You have machine guns, missiles that seems like you can pump out at will and a heavy bomb to blow up buildings. Visuals are plain but there are a few jets flying around which I assume are enemies. I had fun with it.

Diamond Digger

Diamond Digger from Elemental Focus is a clever puzzle game that has you trying to free a diamond from its puzzle trappings, made to look like Earth/soil. In the basic stages, there is dirt which the diamond cannot pass through and metal, which it can. The object is to use gravity to let the diamond fall through the metal portions of the puzzle by sliding each section horizontally left or right one space at a time. You can also force blocks of dirt or metal to fall, altering the playing field. The tricky part is that each section will bounce back into position if nothing is altered after the attempt.

Diamond Digger is one of those games that is fun to play and can become very addictive.

Defy Gravity Extended

Defy Gravity Extended by Fisch Team is a side scrolling plat former in which the hero carries a gravity gun. The gun comes in two forms at the outset which act as a magnet with the player and objects in the game; negative and positive. Aiming your weapon like a twin stick shooter projects a ball of gravity that can help you get over high walls, large chasms, summon a platform to stand on or push away deadly objects. Good music, the visuals could be better, but what’s there is well thought out and fun.

Avatar Onslaught 2 is a third person defense game from Lighthouse Games Studio. All your buddies from your friends list come romping down a large field and allow you to shoot paintballs at them. You strafe side to side behind a wooden fence that your friends will proceed to break down on contact. You can rebuild your defenses and upgrade your weapons and physical attributes to make things easier once the swarm starts getting bigger and faster each round.

1baduglyaward_xblig.gif

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. But if you’re in the mood for some punishment, or just want to be reminded how much better the games above are, check these out, last month’s most terrible games.

Smarter than a Cheerleader?

This game feels sleazy and insulting. My respect for Silver Dollar is…eh. I understand where they’re coming from, I mean, how much should we really expect for a dollar, but they sure aren’t helping the service grow in the right direction.

Dot

This is a Pong clone I assume that requires two players. I couldn't even play it. This is 2012, why would I want to play a Pong clone that doesn't look any better than the original, made 40 years ago? At least bring us to 35 years ago and give us some kind of A.I.

Musickness

So the object of this one is to move this thing across these notes that are scrolling quickly from right to left. You have to stay in formation with the row of blue notes while moving around the bad notes (I think they’re red). Some music is playing in the background but I have no idea if it means anything or is just there. The icon you control slides all over the place.

3D Setero Studio

3D glasses are required for this one and I don’t have any red and blues since my Caroline Blu-Ray came with magenta and green 3D glasses. So anyway, you get to look at a wire mesh ball with some random thing in it, the first plane ever made and a jet that looks like a harrier. They’re just 3D meshes with no texture or animation. You can rotate them and there is a decent techno song playing in the background, but really what’s the point?

Who's the Daddy 2?

So read my earlier post about Silver Dollar Games. There is a girl sipping on some hard alcohol on a bed being interviewed about who the father of her child is (again, kind of sleazy feeling). She’s supposed to be uninterested in the whole process and just wants to leave and get drunk/laid whatever. A row of guys is on the bottom and she describes him as vaguely as possible. Once instance she was like “He’s a black guy, it shouldn’t be that hard to narrow it down”. That might be really easy if the game was called "Whos the lead character in a videogame or Hollywood movie" but this chick looks like she belongs on Maury. Oh and don’t forget the bonus game of taking a drink whenever she does!

Mega Up

Goop: Hey we have an agenda we really wanna push!

Blaugh: Let’s make a game about it!

Goop: Sounds great what will you do in the game?

Blaugh: Press “A” to jump over objects with the worst collision ever in a videogame!

Goop: Done! *brofist*

Blaugh: Alright! Let’s get started!

Goop: No literally…I’m done. It took me that long to finish making the game…

Kiss Kiss

OMG, why? Answer trivia questions from a hideous looking thing lol dancing in the background. I guess the better you do, the closer it moves in for a kiss. God damn!

1_goty_2011.png

Hey GAFfers! Submit your list for your top XBLIG games in this thread and I'll add it here to the OP.

====================================================================

1/1/2012
Ballochet 3

1/3/2012
Eyestorm

P3

1/4/2012
Smarter than a Cheerleader?

EvilQuest

1/5/2012
Lots of Guns

1/6/2012
Trailer Park King Episode 2

1/7/2012
4 PPing Pong

Cro-Mag Rally

1/12/2012
Dot

1/13/2012
Ballochet 3

Plugemons

NewsCopter

1/14/2012
Lootfest: Live Design

Fish Game

Siege King: The Siege of Aurum

Musickness

The Defenders

Don't Die Dateless, Dummy!

Natural Selection

1/15/2012
All Your Creeps

1/19/2012
Block Zombies!

Cowbots

Perfect Shooting Training Camp

Hypership Still Out of Control

1/20/2012
An Elfy Winter

1/21/2012
Detect

3D Stereo Studio

1/21/2012
StardustHunterPopoy

1/23/2012
Ocean Drive Challenge

1/24/2012

1/25/2012
Who's the Daddy? 2

MegaUP: Upload if you can!

1/26/2012
Ninja Sneaking2

Kiss Kiss

1/27/2012
TurboRocket 3

Little Racers STREET

Dark Reign Redux

Defy Gravity Extended

Gold Digger The Comic 1 - 7

1/28/2012
Diamond Digger

SpaceFighter4000 Training

Worlds Best FREAKING Card Game

1/31/2012

I got Little Racers STREET as a gift from Milkstone and I have to say I'm surprised, it's a pretty good game if you like RC racing, the AI makes the races very intense. I definitely recommend it.

VALIS

Nice thread, as always! Hasn't lost a beat since toysthatkills' masterful job with it.

Looks like January was a good month. Gonna have to grab some points later today and investigate.

OnPoint

Oh snap! How did I miss Little Street Racers!

Does it control well? I'll try that tonight I think.

It controls fantastically. But the AI is ruthless.

I'm absolutely horrible at these kinds of games so I found that it's not for me, but it's really, really polished.

Hey DO, someone noticed that you have normal links in the bad games list... what gives?
lol You mean instead of the good games list? Yeah, I'll have that fixed later today. Company computers block all sites that have the words "game" or any well known game companies in the title. First thing when I get home today, it'll be taken care of, as well as the list of released titles for the month.

Oh and I hope you don't mind that I borrowed from you a little. I couldn't word some things any better, so I figured I'd leave it alone.

akira28

I think he means how toy wouldn't honor the bad games with a direct link, and so replaced it with an appropriate and humorously related fake link.

OnPoint

lol You mean instead of the good games list? Yeah, I'll have that fixed later today. Company computers block all sites that have the words "game" or any well known game companies in the title. First thing when I get home today, it'll be taken care of, as well as the list of released titles for the month.

Oh and I hope you don't mind that I borrowed from you a little. I couldn't word some things any better, so I figured I'd leave it alone.

Haha of course not. I borrowed a lot of it from TTK's threads anyway, full disclosure and all

Oh snap! How did I miss Little Street Racers!

Does it control well? I'll try that tonight I think.

Yeah, it takes some minutes to get used to it but then it clicks pretty fast. It's not too easy nor too hard, but you certainly have to be careful with your driving and your strategy.

OnPoint

no way....noooo. I remember reading about it a long assed time ago, could have sworn it was going to be an indie. Did they decide to move up to the bigtimes?

It's been coming to a "real" system for a super long time now. First WiiWare, then the XBLA version was revealed a little over a year ago.

akira28

It's been coming to a "real" system for a super long time now. First WiiWare, then the XBLA version was revealed a little over a year ago.

I have a thing against paying too much for games, so...I was really looking forward to it as an indie. Not so much as an XBLA...I guess I'll see.

We added our own 2-cents this week on the best XBLIG games at Armless Octopus:

Little Racers STREET – Dave

This is the best value on XBLIG this year. It’s one of the deepest games on the platform with a world that is beautiful, cars which handle wonderfully, and gameplay that will suck you in or hours. Milkstone Studios has a history of creating some of the most prrofessional looking games on XBLIG, and their latest release further reinforces that idea. At $1 it’s hard to find a better deal in the past year on XBLIG. Whether you’re a racing fan or not, you’re sure to find something to appreciate within this indie gem.

Ocean Drive Challenge – Erron

It has a distinct feeling of something like Rad Racer, down to the odd sticky-driving, slow-down mechanic, and heaps of traffic on the road. It’s a play at nostalgia that’s definitely worth a look.

In a sentence: AGP2 is Mario Kart 64. And that’s a good thing! It handles similarly, offers multicolored transparent boxes scattered throughout the race which contain power-ups, and a number of tracks that can also be played in reverse. It even has online multiplayer for up to 8 people. Who’s ready for another Community Game Night?

Gold Digger The Comic 1-7 – Mike

As the title implies, this isn’t a game, it’s a collection the first seven Gold Digger comics. I’m not all too familiar with the series, but a quick glance at uh taught me that it’s “the second most extensive, long-running, entirely original creator-controlled, self-contained North American comicbook in history.” That’s pretty damn impressive, and while I wasn’t able to get a strong feeling for the actual quality in just a few minutes, I can say that the artwork looked great on the screen, and using the thumbsticks to move and zoom in and out worked pretty well. It’s an interesting experiment, and seven issues for a buck is a really good deal.

Defy Gravity Extended – Erron

This is an interesting take on a platformer, but the right-stick aiming is too fast and loose to be precise. Still, the concepts behind it are solid, so it may be worth a look. (Ed. Note: this is an update to one of the best indies of last year, so of course it’s worth a look!)

Ninja Sneaking 2 – Taylor

Ninja Sneaking 2 is really an action platformer with a bit of stealth gameplay thrown in. You’ll have to avoid the line of sight of enemies, but more than that you will also need to navigate the levels with extreme precision. It’s a bit tough, but worth a try.

Dark Reign Redux – Dave

A big time RTS on XBLIG you say? Why yes, yes it is. This remake, originally published by Activision on the PC in the mid 90s is pretty fitting for the platform. Rightfully so, RTS games have a bad rap on consoles due to the asinine control schemes which translate poorly from the PC’s mouse and keyboard setup. Fortunately, this one actually gets it right. It can be confusing at first, but the tutorial does a competent job of explaining it all. It’s a bit steep at $5, but fans of RTS games will find enjoyment here.

I have a thing against paying too much for games, so...I was really looking forward to it as an indie. Not so much as an XBLA...I guess I'll see.

It's from one guy in Canada who wrote his own tools. It's about as indie as you get :p Here is a skype interview I did with him one year ago.

Brand is out now for 80msp.

I haven't been following this one much, but it's definitely different than what I figured it was based on screens. It's almost a Miner Dig Deep kind of experience it seems. Where you go into dungeons to find certain materials then hop out to the blacksmith or mage to upgrade your sword. The default "quick attack" is kind of horrible, though.

Looks nice, multiplayer? Awardments? Seems like a decent game for multiplayer but I don't want to feature creep your game :)
Thanks. We talked about multiplayer early on in development and decided against it for this one. No plans for Awardments either (been thinking about it) but that's something that I will talk with my programmer about.

Yeah, my biggest worry is sticking with our schedule and keeping our deadline. We're almost done though.

Gaspode_T

Brand is awesome, it reminds me of Ys 3 (the original)...the vibe, music...I'm glad it's 80 pts and not 400 or something, but for 80 it's a major win for gamers.

My only nags are a little bit of frame rate choppiness and the box art doesn't do the game justice.

I saw that Doom and Destiny got some sort of update, does anyone know if the game changed? That one is still 240 but seems to have sold pretty well at that price.

Gaspode_T

Thanks. We talked about multiplayer early on in development and decided against it for this one. No plans for Awardments either (been thinking about it) but that's something that I will talk with my programmer about.

Yeah, my biggest worry is sticking with our schedule and keeping our deadline. We're almost done though.

Kris Steele over there has you covered: http://www.krissteele.net/blogdetails.aspx?id=294 Of course it's not that easy because you have to implement some sort of counters/progress indicators in your gameplay code, but the notification toast thing is not that hard to do. My only other advice is to make sure the menus and trial/buy options are very clear, I really am not surprised Elfsquad had bad conversion rate because it's so hard to find an option to buy from the menu. Thing like a nag screen on exit helps too. it's all about the fit and finish.

I never noticed Toy put fake links on the bad games... I didn't click to visit the bad games because they were bad!

Well and also because for a long time, I looked at pretty much every XBLIG game on the dash itself, used to browse then every day or two or three.

Kris Steele over there has you covered: http://www.krissteele.net/blogdetails.aspx?id=294 Of course it's not that easy because you have to implement some sort of counters/progress indicators in your gameplay code, but the notification toast thing is not that hard to do. My only other advice is to make sure the menus and trial/buy options are very clear, I really am not surprised Elfsquad had bad conversion rate because it's so hard to find an option to buy from the menu. Thing like a nag screen on exit helps too. it's all about the fit and finish.
This is awesome. Thank you Kris for making this and thank you Gaspode for pointing this out to me. She hates feature creep and she's one of those that think Achievments are pointless, so it's going to be a hard sell, but I'll try. I always wanted them but figured it wasn't possible for multiple reasons.

Thanks for the buy and nag screen advice as well and all of that will be done for sure.

OnPoint

I never noticed Toy put fake links on the bad games... I didn't click to visit the bad games because they were bad!

Well and also because for a long time, I looked at pretty much every XBLIG game on the dash itself, used to browse then every day or two or three.

I carried on the tradition in my threads too. It's one of the most fun parts about making the thread

This is awesome. Thank you Kris for making this and thank you Gaspode for pointing this out to me. She hates feature creep and she's one of those that think Achievments are pointless, so it's going to be a hard sell, but I'll try. I always wanted them but figured it wasn't possible for multiple reasons.

No problem, glad people will use these. I still need to fully finish that set of tutorials though it will give you a pretty good start. The full class I have created is really easy to use, just drop in a few files and wire it up. The effort to add Awardments is very small.

So basically, I thought Little Racers STREET was the best XBLIG released in the last while. For a dollar you should definitely pick it up.

I wasn't overly impressed with Brand though. Beautiful game, from the models and texture, down to the UI and interface. It suffered from a lot of gameplay problems though. Collision with enemies forced some odd routine where you would fly off of them. The controls, especially in terms of jumping, were very floaty. The combat was lackluster in that I could never really tell if I was going to be able to hit the enemy or not, and there wasn't any sort of feedback other than the character glowing for a moment to notify me. It's subtle, but noticeable.

Essentially, it comes down to a fetch quest of running back and forth between three dungeons, which got old after returning the 5th piece for my sword. For $1 though, I can't complain, although I think the game still has a ton of potential if they can work out a lot of those kinks.

OnPoint

I wasn't overly impressed with Brand though. Beautiful game, from the models and texture, down to the UI and interface. It suffered from a lot of gameplay problems though. Collision with enemies forced some odd routine where you would fly off of them. The controls, especially in terms of jumping, were very floaty. The combat was lackluster in that I could never really tell if I was going to be able to hit the enemy or not, and there wasn't any sort of feedback other than the character glowing for a moment to notify me. It's subtle, but noticeable.

Essentially, it comes down to a fetch quest of running back and forth between three dungeons, which got old after returning the 5th piece for my sword. For $1 though, I can't complain, although I think the game still has a ton of potential if they can work out a lot of those kinks.

So far, having spent a little bit of time with the game, I agree with this post almost wholeheartedly. It's decent, but with a few tweaks it could be so much better.

Gaspode_T

So far, having spent a little bit of time with the game, I agree with this post almost wholeheartedly. It's decent, but with a few tweaks it could be so much better.

The one attack move I wanted was a Zelda II style "jump with your sword down below" move where you could hop on enemies from above, there are many times where an enemy is right below a platform and the only way to get in attack range is to jump down next to them putting yourself in danger

I'm sure you're supposed to block and things probably get easier/ cooler as you upgrade the sword...

Another thing they could do (I don't know if it's like this) would be to make the enemies bigger and stronger as you level up the sword, that would be like Borderlands where Badass becomes Super Bassass etc.

The one attack move I wanted was a Zelda II style "jump with your sword down below" move where you could hop on enemies from above, there are many times where an enemy is right below a platform and the only way to get in attack range is to jump down next to them putting yourself in danger

I'm sure you're supposed to block and things probably get easier/ cooler as you upgrade the sword...

Another thing they could do (I don't know if it's like this) would be to make the enemies bigger and stronger as you level up the sword, that would be like Borderlands where Badass becomes Super Bassass etc.

I would love to see a maneuver like that too, as I spent so much time above the enemies. The in air dash was nice though.

The enemies quickly became repetitive, which was another reason I put it down. I felt as though I was facing off against the same three types throughout the duration of the game: The small blob that spits stuff, the skeleton thing with the sword, and the bumble bee with the stinger.

So I got a "we'll try it" from the programmer when I told her about the Awardments and how painless and quick you guys said it was. The fun part will be coming up with them. We gon have Awardments ya'all!

So what do you guys think of the trailer I posted earlier? Do you understand it? Does it look garbage? Does it look fun?

So I got a "we'll try it" from the programmer when I told her about the Awardments and how painless and quick you guys said it was. The fun part will be coming up with them. We gon have Awardments ya'all!

Send me an email at kris at funinfused.com sometime and I can send you my full Awardment class. I don't think I did tutorials for all of it and probably won't finish those tutorials anytime soon.

So what do you guys think of the trailer I posted earlier? Do you understand it? Does it look garbage? Does it look fun?

I enjoyed the music, I think it's very fitting. It offers a sense of exploration, with a bit of an "Aztecian" (not a real word, deal with it) vibe, so good choice there.

The gameplay reminds me of Bomberman, with the blowing up of walls and such, but this seems to be at a much faster pace. The game also appears simple, which is essential when the motivating element behind your movement and pathfinding is the timed fog that is approaching.

The colors are diverse and each stage offers its own distinct feel - another selling point, because far too many games stick with one bland palate at the moment and ever level looks the some.

So far, so good.

Gaspode_T

Curious about risk/reward setup, I was playing an arkanoid/breakout game called Magic Orbz today, it is pretty much set up like I prefer: you can play from the start and earn high score if you want, or if you lose at a later level you can restart from that point but just end up with a lower overall score. It's not painful even though you can die a lot and restart level a lot. Another way of doing it would be to split up levels into checkpoints, like clear 5 levels and you reach the next checkpoint.

I think XBLIG shouldn't be too hard, that's a big turn off and one reason games like Fortress Craft or I mad3 a game with z0mbies did so well IMO is that you don't really have to have awesome skills to play them, they're just kind of fun to play. It's just that walking the line between casual and hardcore is more difficult than it sounds - Nintendo does a great job with it but not many people besides them get the balance of difficulty/depth and accessibility.

So to summarize...does it have lives? level restart? grading system? will people be frustrated if they get eaten up by the cloud thing during the trial or will they want to try again to see what's at the end? that's the only question I would have, think game looks unique and fun...

Curious about risk/reward setup, I was playing an arkanoid/breakout game called Magic Orbz today, it is pretty much set up like I prefer: you can play from the start and earn high score if you want, or if you lose at a later level you can restart from that point but just end up with a lower overall score. It's not painful even though you can die a lot and restart level a lot. Another way of doing it would be to split up levels into checkpoints, like clear 5 levels and you reach the next checkpoint.

I think XBLIG shouldn't be too hard, that's a big turn off and one reason games like Fortress Craft or I mad3 a game with z0mbies did so well IMO is that you don't really have to have awesome skills to play them, they're just kind of fun to play. It's just that walking the line between casual and hardcore is more difficult than it sounds - Nintendo does a great job with it but not many people besides them get the balance of difficulty/depth and accessibility.

So to summarize...does it have lives? level restart? grading system? will people be frustrated if they get eaten up by the cloud thing during the trial or will they want to try again to see what's at the end? that's the only question I would have, think game looks unique and fun...
The setup is pretty much like Super Meat Boy to where you have an unlimited amount of tries and it is saved to the last level you attempted. There will be a level select option to replay any level previously beaten. All standard stuff. So basically the checkpoint is every level.

Scary thing about what you just said, the game is pretty tough for me. We entertained the thought of making an easy mode that is slower and provides more bombs. Might be the best course of action.

There is no grading system. I thoight about that as well but the simplicity of the game and the time pressures don't really allow for anything but your main objective. I guess I could have added some coins here and there for points. This is actually what the three artifacts you collect were supossed to be, but we decided to make them mandatory mid development. It was hard to balance the difficulty for the person who wants to run straight through and the person who wants to collect everything. Thanks for taking the time, man.

So if you wanted to hear my full, fleshed out thoughts on Brand, here it is.
Nice review. I know what you mean with the hit detection. It never feels right when the enemy doesn't react to your attacks. And actually the player character can wind up and sumon all the demons in hell, but the only way you can tell how powerful an attack is, is by the enemies reaction to that attack. That is what give them their "omph". I'll try it out though.

And thanks for the feedback on Nono. I was nervous about the music. I almost went back and wrote a very kiddy and light Bubble Bobble style theme. You telling me it fits gives me more confidence about it.

And yeah, the idea was to keep the levels simple, open (for the most part) and clutter free, though now that I think about it, some coins to collect could have worked, maybe.

Gaspode_T

Little Street Racers is getting major updates, good news! Maybe they are adding multilayer...it really is awesome...I was playing last night and noticed the brand of the best car is called Fetuccini lol

Top Bottom