• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011 Awards Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Alright, sorry for the delay guys, it's been really close! If anyone wants to do a recount, feel free, but you better have some good counting skills.

Without further ado.

IwR1H.png

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Big Krit - Return of 4eva 66 Votes

Cunninlynguists - Oneirology 65 Votes
The Roots - Undun 53 Votes
Jay-Z & Kanye - WTT 51 Votes
Kendrick Lamar - Section 80 49 Votes
Curren$y - Covert Coup 48 Votes

Very very close. Here's a rough spreadsheet with some numbers. A lot of it is confusing, but the right hand column is the one I went from.

FJsWO.png

Ni**as In Paris - The Throne 44 Votes

Tech N9ne - Worldwide Choppers 14 Votes
Kendrick Lamar - Keisha's Song 11 Votes
R4 Theme Song - Big KRIT 8 Votes

Again, another spreadsheet.

yC7Yx.png

Watch The Throne - Jay-Z and Kanye West

2AIxO.png

COE35.png

Radioactive - Yelawolf

TxZ13.png

mfkjW.png

No I.D.

pYNYu.png

gnfO5.png

Action Bronson

S2J9J.png

ws2YH.png

MEN OF THE YEAR. It was a tie, 2 great men. Anyway, DRAKE AND YEEZY.

y8oe3.png

Natiko

Banned
I like how Drake got in there for man of the year without showing up in any other category. smh. Anyways, I'll be honest I still haven't listened to either of the top two albums in their entirety. I'm guessing I should fix this.

Recon

Banned
I love that a free mixtape release won AOTY. It really says a lot about the hip hop industry and how anyone with talent can build a fan base. Hell, even people without talent can amass a sizable fan base( Lil B).

Recon

Banned
Honestly, I cant believe how close The Roots got. Great album, but almost no buzz. Oneirology is still #1 in my heart.

Gazzawa

I'm buying my ticket for watch the throne live in Dublin June 8 the second they come out. I got that album when it dropped and listen to it virtually everday. It wasn't perfect but some of the tracks just soar above what everyone else is doing right now.
"Let me show you what I see when my eyes closed!"

RJT

Forgot to participate, and Oneirology was down by one vote...
KuGsj.gif

Don't really like K.R.I.T. that much, but I'll give the album a relisten. Good results, in any case. Section.80 should be higher, but it's all good.

Macca

I'm disappointed it took me this long to click with Section.80. If it had've before the voting ended it would probably be my number 3.

CRS

Hell yeah, I'll take it. Oneirology was my number one but I'm just as glad to see K.R.I.T. get so much praise. If not more because dude really deserves all the praise he can get.

Not sure if I get the krit hype. I mean, there are some killer tracks on that mixtape, but there's a lot of really standard southern-rap bores too. Also the dude's just not that lyrical most of the time. He's got a ton of personality though, I have to admit.

I would say Section 80 is better, but there's a lot of filler on that album too...still prefer section 80 though.

Recon

Banned
#2 is a poor choice for AOTY. #3 I don't agree with either, but whatever.

Begin the hating!

Oneirology is almost a perfect album. Great lyrics, fantastic production, no filler. Hell, even the album art was the best of 2011. Now, it might not of clicked with you, but it is hard to dispute that it is a extremely well executed album.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
For all of the controversial opinions in GAF-Hop, the most mainstream stuff (aside from KRIT, who should be mainstream) prevailed. That shit cray

Recon

Banned
For all of the controversial opinions in GAF-Hop, the most mainstream stuff (aside from KRIT, who should be mainstream) prevailed. That shit cray

A mixtape won AOTY. A non mainstream group came in second(Oneirology). A non physical release was in the top 5(Section.80). I would say you are wrong.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
A mixtape won AOTY. A non mainstream group came in second(Oneirology). A non physical release was in the top 5(Section.80). I would say you are wrong.

Just talking winners, is all. It's not a hard stance, but it's weird to see Drake MotY for all the shit he gets.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Krit took first, all is good. Drake and The Throne showing up all over the rest of it doesn't even bother me because the right album got AOTY.

Bishman

This is why I love GAF-Hop but KRIT shouldn't have won AOTY. It should have been Oneirology.

And for anyone criticizing our list: listen up. Like ReconYoda said, look at how diverse the top 5. If anyone is a hip hop fan, I don't see how you could have any problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom