• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita UK launch sales 'around one quarter' of PSP debut

Taurus

Sony handheld gets off to sluggish start

Sales of Sony's PS Vita console got off to a "disappointing" start in the UK, it has been confirmed.

Week one Chart-Track figures reveal that Sony's new handheld device sold "around one quarter" of the number of the 185,000 PSP units shifted in the UK during its first week on sale back in September 2005.

Half-hearted

Although exact data has not been publicly announced by either Chart-Track or Sony, industry sources have confirmed that the figure is "just over half" of the 89,000 sold by the Nintendo 3DS in its first week almost a year ago.

With pre-orders of Vita reportedly around the 70,000 mark, Sony will be hoping that the generally positive critical reception to its new device will coax cash-strapped consumers into shelling out for its next generation handheld.

The news comes hours after Sony elected to publish a global figure for Vita sales to date of 1.2 million.

With total Japanese sales confirmed as being 578,812 on February 19th, the remaining 600,000 will have been split between the remaining worldwide territories.

Figures from other Western territories have yet to emerge.

'We all saw it coming'

Meanwhile, one senior source felt that the low UK sales should not come as a surprise.

"It's disappointing, sure, but we all saw it coming," said the source.

"Realistically, I think a lot of people can see it's technically a great system, but people just don't have the cash to shell out for the same game twice. A lot will be waiting for a true system seller before taking the plunge, or, more likely, be happier continuing to pay 69p for dozens of mobile games.

"The market has changed," the source concluded.
http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/PlayStation+Vita/news.asp?c=38346

Uh-oh...

(Credit goes to dc89 posting this in Vita 1.2 million thread earlier)

MRORANGE

vita hype meter in the uk is non existent, only 1 non working vita station in central london GAME.

way to launch a new handheld sony.

you can already get it for less than £200

Takao

Banned
We're discussing this in the 1.2 million units thread. There's been some question into the legitimacy of this given prior we had heard good things about Vita's UK debut.

dc89

Yeah I saw this too.

I remember back when PSP launched. My brother got one for his birthday, there was a big fuss about the system and the quality it could offer in the palm of your hands.

The Vita offers more quality yet it hasn't seemed to have generated the same buzz. I guess the economic squeeze is not helping.

rouken

well it seems that the part about vita selling 600k in both us and europe is true right?

does anybody have a breakdown of sales on the two regions?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Doesn't really make any sense. Completely flies contrary to both what Patrick Garratt said the other day and what Sony released today.

Although if the Vita failed that bad in the UK then it must be selling well in the US. Otherwise it doesn't really add up.

We're discussing this in the 1.2 million units thread. There's been some question into the legitimacy of this given prior we had heard good things about Vita's UK debut.

I emailed Patrick Garratt, who made the positive comments, asking for clarification on that point. He wouldn't (couldn't?) provide any, so I have no idea.

Cipherr

Doesn't really make any sense. Completely flies contrary to both what Patrick Garratt said the other day and what Sony released today.

Although if the Vita failed that bad in the UK then it must be selling well in the US. Otherwise it doesn't really add up.

Well the UK doesnt make up all of the EU region. But yeah I dont think its a stretch that North America would carry the majority of that 600k.

Taurus

No one seemed to notice it so I thought it would be good to create a new thread. Console launches and their sales discussion don't happen that often.

But if mods find this thread unnecessary, it's fine by me. :)

Yeah I saw this too.

I remember back when PSP launched. My brother got one for his birthday, there was a big fuss about the system and the quality it could offer in the palm of your hands.

The Vita offers more quality yet it hasn't seemed to have generated the same buzz. I guess the economic squeeze is not helping.
Yeah, I noticed you posting this and thought I'd make a thread. You are mentioned in OP now. ^^

Yeah I saw this too.

And nobody had a smartphone back when PSP launched

The justifications across the two threads are crazy.

If its at 600k for rest of the world. 70k in.the UK is 12% or a touch more. USA probably about 50-60% so it all ties in

Barrett2

Nice device
Wrong advertisements. Makes it look purely hardcore.

What on Earth would you buy it otherwise for?

"I like Angry Birds, but for some reason don't own a phone that plays it. What im' looking for is an expensive hardcore gaming machine with an OLED screen that I can play Farmville on."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Abysmal

But didn't the 3DS sell 113k in the first week in UK? (not 89k)

113k according to Nintendo, but there have always been reports about how Chart Track numbers were very different from what it has been said in the famous PR about European launch.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We have a 12-13 page thread at this time to discuss all this. Now we can have another mockery here too I guess.

beje

Banned

"I like Angry Birds, but for some reason don't own a phone that plays it. What im' looking for is an expensive hardcore gaming machine with an OLED screen that I can play Farmville on."

You would be surprised at the ammount of people that buy a $1500+ macbook to browse Facebook and play Farmville.

Hardcore gamers stay at home and sit with headsets on and eat pizza and shoot yanks.

Handheld gamers want mostly quick.immersive, pick up put down games with the occasional longer game..... at least that's what I see anyway.

Plus its 2012 and we're staving off recession so £300+ on a handheld is out. Especially as we're all saving up for an iPad3!!!!

I bet
hope
most of those sales were on Amazon, too.

The dying retail stores basically fucked people over. Game/Gamestation essentially priced the console £30 higher than HMV. £44.99 16GB cards on release day...

Jeez.

That 'source' is just insane, too.

Mpl90

The question now is: pocketgamer or Patrick Garret. Who is reliable here? Or maybe they're saying "the same thing", just different expectations? This is strange.

Zafir

Do I fail at math, or how do you have 70,000 pre orders and be under 1/4 of the PSP launch (185k)?
People cancelling their pre-order perhaps? It does seem a bit odd though.

Eitherway, it really isn't surprising. I only know one other person who has a Vita, and I haven't heard it being talked about much at all.

FoneBone

Garratt says that ChartTrack's numbers for the 3DS launch were lower than Nintendo's, which could explain some discrepancy, but not to that degree... so I have no idea.

fernoca

113k according to Nintendo, but there have always been reports about how Chart Track numbers were very different from what it has been said in the famous PR about European launch.
Garratt says that ChartTrack's numbers for the 3DS launch were lower than Nintendo's, which could explain some discrepancy, but not to that degree... so I have no idea.

Keeping also in mind that Chart Track covered until March 26.
3DS was released on March 25, and Nintendo's number (113k) were for the weekend (ending March 27).

KAL2006

Banned
That was expected. PSP had a lot going for it, it had a huge buzz. I think PSP sales were record breaking in the UK. PSP was releasing after the hugely successful PS2, where Sony were the market leaders. Smartphones and tablets were not around too, and the graphics jump from DS to PSP was huge. Where as the graphics jump from high end smartphones, tablets and 3DS to Vita might be big, but not big enough for the average consumer to easily tell. Of course lack of software, piracy, price, and lack of innovation like touchscreen killed interest in PSP later in it's life. With Vita most of it's features are hard to distinguish for the average consumers. Great graphics, well a lot of casuals can't see a huge difference in graphics from a game like Infinity Blade and Real Racing to a Vita game. All it's social features and great multitasking UI, is hard to market without a person actually using a Vita themselves, and smartphones have many of these features too.

turnbuckle

Pretty devastating if true. I really love the device but it's fighting an uphill battle in a crowded market and the advertising + pricing of hardware/software/necessary memory cards aren't doing anything to convince consumers that the Vita is a good buy.

Mpl90

That was expected. PSP had a lot going for it, it had a huge buzz. I think PSP sales were record breaking in the UK. PSP was releasing after the hugely successful PS2, where Sony were the market leaders. Smartphones and tablets were not around too, and the graphics jump from DS to PSP was huge. Where as the graphics jump from high end smartphones, tablets and 3DS to Vita might be big, but not big enough for the average consumer to easily tell. Of course lack of software, piracy, price, and lack of innovation like touchscreen killed interest in PSP later in it's life. With Vita most of it's features are hard to distinguish for the average consumers. Great graphics, well a lot of casuals can't see a huge difference in graphics from a game like Infinity Blade and Real Racing to a Vita game. All it's social features and great multitasking UI, is hard to market without a person actually using a Vita themselves, and smartphones have many of these features too.

PSP is still the console with the best debut in UK EVER.

fernoca

Also adding to what I posted above (about the differences in days between the reports and Chart Track; and the articles with the 3DS)..the same applies to the Vita:

-Vita was released on February 22 in UK.
-Chart Track covered until February 25 (3 days).
-Sony's PR covered until February 26.

Like the 3DS, none of the numbers tracked "an entire week" and all are different because all covered different days and different trackers (internal versus external).

Loonz

I can't say I'm surprised, sadly. Here in Europe the hype for this machine is nearly 0. And I'm lucky to have a public booth to try one in a MediaMarkt not far from home: is the only promotion I've seen for the Vita here where I live.

I went to that MM the launch day, and then again yesterday to buy a new TV. The pile of Vitas was exactly at the same height. Anecdotal, I know, but I was also in the launch of the original PSP here in Spain (I bought one, with a friend of mine) and back then that console had hype and they were actually, you know, selling. You could see game shops moving the product. Perhaps it's its price and the shitty economy, but whatever it is, I just don't see that excitement (or, TBH, any excitement) for the Vita here.

And that's sad, as the Vita is a much much much better product than the original PSP. I'll surely grab one the moment it gets its first pricecut. I was burned by what happened with the 3DS, I won't repeat the mistake of buying too early never again.

Mpl90

Is this site known for A) having access to Gfk-ChartTrack data not publically published; and B) being allowed to publicly disclose such data, in however a roundabout way they've done it...?

It does seem plausible. Global tie ratio is around 1.7 - software floor is around 80K. UK tie ratio may be higher than global.

fernoca

So it sold around 550k in America D=
Nope.
The 1.2 million number is worldwide, so if you remove the 600k or so from Japan/HK that leaves 600k for the rest of the world. Then the 80k or so from UK and is around 520k...and you still need the rest of Europe, Australia, US, Canada and Latin America.

Tretton is expecting to sell 500k in the US in 3 weeks..and it just 1 week. :p

Top Bottom