• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime "Masterpieces"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

Since the wonderful Samurai Champloo is over, I'm searching for new anime to watch. I want stuff that is good though, really good. But that's a different topic.

I was searching on Anime News Network recently and saw the section that allowed user reviews. There were many categories including: masterpiece, excellent, very good, good, decent, and so on...

Very few anime have a majority of users rating them as "masterpieces."

So what would you nominate as "masterpieces"?

Cowboy Bebop
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Hikaru no Go
Grave of the Fireflies

What would you nominate as an "excellent"?

Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Escaflowne
Naruto
Akira
Ghost in the Shell

Samurai Champloo simply captured my attention for almost a whole year. I'm searching for something that can do the same.

I agree with everything in your list. Great thread. I don't really watch anime that much outside of all that you mentioned.

Berserk. Only anime I can stomach (and I've seen a lot in the past).

Oh and the manga kicks a lot of ass as well.

Oh, we're talking about all Anime? Not just OVA's? If that's the case then I add:

All Ghibli movies
Grave of the Fireflies
CB: Knocking on Heaven's Door (when is the release date for the UMD version?)

"masterpieces":

Berserk
Kensin(samuria X) OVAs Trust/Betrayal
Monster(so far)
Ippo!
Vampire Hunter D:BL
Grave of the fireflies

Excellent:
GTO
Bebop
Trigun (maybe)
Kenshin TV: Kyoto Arc
Now and Then Here and there
His or her Circumstances
X TV

Zaptruder

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
Berserk. Only anime I can stomach (and I've seen a lot in the past).

Oh and the manga kicks a lot of ass as well.

Berserk is excellent, but as an animated piece, it's not all encompassing spectacular...

I mean, for one thing it ends on a really shitty note, and the animation quality just isn't that top notch.

On the otherhand, the ones listed in the masterpiece are all that... although I'd personally bump HNG down to excellent, because that too doesn't end properly... and often time relies on traditional hooks to get people to keep watching (as opposed to sheer quality that keeps the person watching).

Zaptruder said:
Berserk is excellent, but as an animated piece, it's not all encompassing spectacular...

I mean, for one thing it ends on a really shitty note, and the animation quality just isn't that top notch.

On the otherhand, the ones listed in the masterpiece are all that... although I'd personally bump HNG down to excellent, because that too doesn't end properly... and often time relies on traditional hooks to get people to keep watching (as opposed to sheer quality that keeps the person watching).

The thing about Berserk was how the characters grew and the emotion the Anime Generated. Yes the Ending was pretty shocking but i feel the ARC was pretty much over.

The Music and direction i felt were flawless.

Cloudy

Banned
Masterpiece:

Azumanga Daioh
His and Her Circumstances
Full Metal Alchemist
Fantastic Children
Gundam Seed
Koi Kaze
Saikano
Beyond the Clouds
Planetes
Robotech: Macross Saga
Escaflowne

Excellent:

GTO
Fruits Basket
School Rumble
Berserk
Love Hina
Last Exile
Sokyuu no Fafner
Rahxephon
Evangelion
Twelve Kingdoms
Scrapped Princess
Infinite Ryvius
Beck

Zaptruder

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
The thing about Berserk was how the characters grew and the emotion the Anime Generated. Yes the Ending was pretty shocking but i feel the ARC was pretty much over.

The Music and direction i felt were flawless.

I don't know... when it comes to judging anime, I think it's appropriate to reserve the best for pieces that shows excellence in every field... music, animation, story, character development, etc, etc. In particular, animation is a important category... I mean... we are talking about animated features/shows after all.

Otherwise, it would be a case of whatever has a good story... and most of the 'excellent' animes are derived from excellent mangas... so it's really kinda hard for the animation team to do too badly if they even go by the numbers production based on an excellent manga.

Zaptruder said:
I don't know... when it comes to judging anime, I think it's appropriate to reserve the best for pieces that shows excellence in every field... music, animation, story, character development, etc, etc. In particular, animation is a important category... I mean... we are talking about animated features/shows after all.

Otherwise, it would be a case of whatever has a good story... and most of the 'excellent' animes are derived from excellent mangas... so it's really kinda hard for the animation team to do too badly if they even go by the numbers production based on an excellent manga.

I see your point completely.

i guess i tend to judge Anime on how well they entertain me and suck me in to the story and characters. For me Berserk did it best.

Pellham

Banned
are we simply defining anime masterpieces as shows that have strong appeal to everyone, not just lovers of certain genres?

if so, the only one i've seen that I consider a masterpiece is Escaflowne

Oh for people who dig drama, I think Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is one of the best anime to hit the fansub scene.

Mugen

Banned
Pellham said:
are we simply defining anime masterpieces as shows that have strong appeal to everyone, not just lovers of certain genres?

if so, the only one i've seen that I consider a masterpiece is Escaflowne

What I was about to say. But I don't think it's the only one. I say Bebop is also as much as a masterpiece.

Masterpiece for me means epic in everyway it is presented. From the soundtrack to the animation to the story and characters. It has to have a great mix of everything working together.

ie. Compare Lord of the Rings to say... Sideways. Both movies are great but far and away, Lord of the Rings is more of an epic than Sideways is.

But then again, that's just my own opinion of what a masterpiece is. Some people might like Sideways more because it's more "personal".

bjork

I don't think H+HC can be on there as a masterpiece because
the last 3-6 episodes may as well not even exist, the flashbacks are worse than Naruto.

Anyway, my list...

Masterpiece:
Cowboy Bebop
Paranoia Agent
Cat Soup
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Fruits Basket

Excellent:
Azumanga Daioh
Cromartie High School
GTO
H+HC
One Piece
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Forever You Want
Super Radical Gag Family

AniHawk

I really can only think of Princess Mononoke and Cowboy Bebop as being masterpieces for me. They were among the first I've seen, and not much else has come close.

FMA is damn good though, that's for sure.

argon

i haven't watched alot of anime, but these are my personal favorites and ones i would consider masterpieces..

Grave of the Fireflies - probably the most powerful anti-war film ever made IMHO
Akira - confusing plot, but everything else was just plain awesome
Castle of Cagliostro - great dialogue and characters, classic scenes

like i said, i'm more of a casual anime fan... i am open to suggestions, and will definitely check out some of the movies listed on this topic. Cowboy Bebop looks especially good. Any other suggestions?

J2 Cool

BERSERK!! Truuust me. If you watch that whole series, it's damn near impossible you don't get hooked. Samurai Champloo did the same for me, hooked me for a year. Berserk was there before it and after it. It's a 26 episode anime, already out there. Chances are you could rush through it once it gets good though. And after that, it'll just lead you off onto a quest for more. I feel the same as you do on Bebop, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Champloo. You owe it to yourself to check out Berserk. Just take it for what it is, no expectations. I'm screaming it's name because that is what you should watch. There's some major reasons to see this anime, and very minor reasons not to see it, when you look it as a whole.

Finaika

I just wanted to add Haibane Renmei, Boogiepop Phantom, Noir, Millennium Actress and Jin Roh to the list.

Zaptruder

Banned
J2 Cool said:
BERSERK!! Truuust me. If you watch that whole series, it's damn near impossible you don't get hooked. Samurai Champloo did the same for me, hooked me for a year. Berserk was there before it and after it. It's a 26 episode anime, already out there. Chances are you could rush through it once it gets good though. And after that, it'll just lead you off onto a quest for more. I feel the same as you do on Bebop, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Champloo. You owe it to yourself to check out Berserk. Just take it for what it is, no expectations. I'm screaming it's name because that is what you should watch. There's some major reasons to see this anime, and very minor reasons not to see it, when you look it as a whole.

The manga is dragging on now. Plus the guy takes ages to draw... not sure if that's because of the level of detail in his work or because he does the lion share or whatever.

J2 Cool

Zaptruder said:
The manga is dragging on now. Plus the guy takes ages to draw... not sure if that's because of the level of detail in his work or because he does the lion share or whatever.

Yeah, I do agree with that. He decided to create a huge world, a fantasy epic. There's a lot to admire in his ambition, but when 1 guy is drawing every page to something that's looking about the size of a Star Wars universe or maybe even bigger when done... Well, it's frustrating. Lucas wrote it first, and has had help from thousands after his initial lead. This is a ridiculous feat Miura's trying. I want to actually see the plot move, and it's coming to the point where all we're finding out is the next location they go to or what their next conversation consists of. There's far more on new characters every chapter than there is any of the established even. Not to mention he can stick to a 2 week schedule for more than 2-3 chapters, when most other manga have a chapter a week. I'm afraid if it'll ever finish even.

Still, the characters, the story, the moments, the world. I don't know that there's many better out there in books or movies. It's a horrible addiction but I can't not recommend it. The first read of 15+ new volumes for me was bliss. I think they were on 26 or so back when I finished the anime.

Shouta

Zaptruder said:

Monthly compilation + lots of chapters per tankouban (or something to that extent) = long wait between tankouban.

The only series I can consider a "masterpiece" for everyone (for TV series) would be Future Boy Conan.

bloke

Mastapisu tv anime for me;

Kino No Tabi
Boogiepop Phantom
Soul Taker
Koi Kaze
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar

KNT and BP are both adaptations of novels but then it doesn't go any deeper and thought-provoking in anime tv show than this. Soul Taker on the other side might not be the deepest thing out there, but it's visuals and sense of direction is still unmatched imho. Koi Kaze and Kiminozo are both great melodramas, former dealing with some sensitive issues, and later being best eroge2anime adaptation so far (sorry Air). And Sugar is of course best kiddy anime ever.
As for excellent stuff, bah too much to mention.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just finished Lain last night, and I thought it was great. Initial D gets a mention due to campiness (It's awesome though)...

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
The only series I can consider a "masterpiece" for everyone (for TV series) would be Future Boy Conan.

Yea, I've been watching anime for years and have seen many great series but I would hesitate to call any anime TV series a 'masterpiece'. Hell, I can't even think of any live-action films released in the last 10 years that I would call a 'masterpiece'.

The closest thing to a near-perfect classic anime that excells in everything it attempts would be Millenium Actress or Giant Robo IMO, but I still think neither is quite a 'masterpiece'.

Tamanon

Banned
So I've only seen most of the first season(missed the middle part) but Fullmetal Alchemist is flat out amazing at building a story. The characterization is great and really builds a bond between viewer and creation.

Previous "masterpieces"

Cowboy Bebop and the movie
Tenchi Muyo in Love(1st movie)
Trigun
Macross Plus

Very good series/movies:

Chrono Crusade
Slayers
Nadesico/Prince of Darkness
Escaflowne

Masterpieces
---------------
Naruto
Kenshin
Macross
Escaflowne
Gundam wing
Nadeisco

Excellent
-----------
DBZ
Cowboy Bebop
Golden Boy :D
Golgo
Trigun

Pure Crap
-----------
Lain
Oh my goddess
Raid
Revolutionary girl (except the whole we are an egg speech before fights)
Silent Mobious
Bubble gum crisis

Great Movies
---------------
Steam Boy
Street fighter
Ninja scroll
Princess Mononoke
Ghost in a shell

ChronoMagnus said:
Masterpieces
---------------
Naruto
Kenshin
Macross
Escaflowne
Gundam wing
Nadeisco

Excellent
-----------
DBZ
Cowboy Bebop
Golden Boy :D
Golgo
Trigun

Pure Crap
-----------
Lain
Oh my goddess
Raid
Revolutionary girl (except the whole we are an egg speech before fights)
Silent Mobious
Bubble gum crisis

Great Movies
---------------
Steam Boy
Street fighter
Ninja scroll
Princess Mononoke
Ghost in a shell

You scare me. You have a great list, then you make the post pointless by doing that ;)

But seriously, anyone seen that supposed Ninja Scrolls sequel? Or movie that was supposed to be? I'm not entirely sure on the detalis. But anyway, did Jubei really survive?

aceface

Masterpieces:
Azumanga Daioh (simultaneously hilarious and sweet and touching for the whole of the series. One of the few shows that can carry off that level of consistancy for 26 episodes)
His and Her Circumstances (for the first 3/4ths of the series, until Anno gave up on it because of conflicts with the manga artist I've read)
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist (the ending is spectacular)
FLCL
Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell:SAC
All Ghibli movies

Very Good:
Wolf's Rain
Escaflowne
Princess Tutu
Chobits
Kenshin, Kyoto arc

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Tabris said:
Evangelion is getting no respect in this thread :(

I enjoyed Eva, especially the movies, but it has got to be the most overrated anime of all time. My guess is it would be completely forgotten if not for Rei.

It's called "Whisper of the Heart", guys. Come on.

And Zero, I've seen so many recommend anime threads I just refer people to my website now. Good luck with finding your next anime obsession. :D

JavyOO7

Not many people might consider this a masterpiece, but...

Star Ocean: EX. I love that anime. Saw all 26 episodes. Exellent stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
You scare me. You have a great list, then you make the post pointless by doing that ;)

But seriously, anyone seen that supposed Ninja Scrolls sequel? Or movie that was supposed to be? I'm not entirely sure on the detalis. But anyway, did Jubei really survive?

Are you talking about Ninja Resurrection? It was alright, never was finished it seems, but not that great. There's also a Ninja Scroll TV series which was pretty good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All ghibli movies - haven't seen a bad one yet.

Urusei Yatsura - anything. Movies, TV series, OAV. All funny. Start with a few episodes of the TV series to get you into the characters.

Ranma - haven't seen the TV series, but read the manga and that was funny.

Maison Ikkoku - same (read manga, not TV)

(so basically anything by miyazaki or Rumiko takahashi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom