• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #93 - "Derelict"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "Derelict"

tokyogenso_21_large.jpg

Artwork by TokyoGenso

Word Limit: 2878

OK guys, here are the entries this week, get reading!

Voting begins Friday, 23rd of March, and goes on until, Sunday, 25th of March at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Anonymous

This was pretty fun last time we tried it, so PM me your entry or a link to your entry and I'll post them all up once the deadline has passed.

Useful threads.

NeoGAF Writing Workshop
The Writing-GAF Mega Thread

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I'm going to do the secondary but I'm almost certain everyone will know what mine is. :(

I'm going to do the secondary but I'm almost certain everyone will know what mine is. :(

Haha, yeah, I think mine will be quite easy to spot this time around - last time no one guessed which story was written by me, but some thought it was by CrowPhoenix as I used 'crow' a number of times in the story.

Iceman said:
You can derelict my balls, capi-tan.

Lol, I knew as soon as I picked the theme that someone would post that.

"I can dere-lick my own balls, thank you very much".

Oh, we're doing this again. Awesome. I think everyone (besides Irish, but when is that not the case?) pegged me for me last time. This time I might actually experiment. Al Roker donkey slash, here I come!

Pand

Alright, I'll send something in as well. Been writing for a few years and it's time to share something with you guys. I've been meaning to contribute for a while, actually, but I always seem to miss the deadline. I like the thought of anonymous stories, seems like a perfect time to jump in.

Quick question - is there any other way but pastebin to securely submit a story? Pastebin doesn't allow formatting, and I really want to display it in a certain way. On the other hand, I don't want anything to get stolen.

Grakl

Alright, I'll send something in as well. Been writing for a few years and it's time to share something with you guys. I've been meaning to contribute for a while, actually, but I always seem to miss the deadline. I like the thought of anonymous stories, seems like a perfect time to jump in.

Quick question - is there any other way but pastebin to securely submit a story? Pastebin doesn't allow formatting, and I really want to display it in a certain way. On the other hand, I don't want anything to get stolen.

I think creating a pdf and putting it on your own dropbox with a password is secure and doesn't count as published, but I'm not completely sure.

Pand

I think creating a pdf and putting it on your own dropbox with a password is secure and doesn't count as published, but I'm not completely sure.

Sounds good. Is there a way to only show the password to registered members? Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I really don't want people stealing my stuff.

V_Arnold

Sounds good. Is there a way to only show the password to registered members? Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I really don't want people stealing my stuff.

If you enjoy writing, you do this challenge for fun, and not worry about whether it will be stolen or not, but that is just my opinion, of course.

Grakl

You can post invisible things by using the email code, or whatever. Quote to see.

Yeah, this challenge is for fun, but I understand why you wouldn't ever want people to steal your stuff.

So, if I wanted to write something, would I just post it in this thread?

Yeah, you can post it here if you like, or use a site like tinypaste or tidypub.

However, if you want to take part in the secondary objective, where all the stories will be posted anonymously, just PM your story to me and I'll post it up with the rest once the deadline has passed.

ronito

Oh, we're doing this again. Awesome. I think everyone (besides Irish, but when is that not the case?) pegged me for me last time. This time I might actually experiment. Al Roker donkey slash, here I come!

Oh I'll peg you anytime Gumshoe. Anytime.

Pand

You can post invisible things by using the email code, or whatever. Quote to see.

Yeah, this challenge is for fun, but I understand why you wouldn't ever want people to steal your stuff.

Cheers, I'll do that.

If you enjoy writing, you do this challenge for fun, and not worry about whether it will be stolen or not, but that is just my opinion, of course.

While I agree that it's just for fun, I also know that I sometimes want to go back to stories I like and expand on them. Knowing that hundreds if not thousands of people have seen my story and maybe copied it or whatever doesn't do much for my state of mind.

Irish

I'm not even sure I know what this means.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Even if you're terrified of gremlins, everyone better submit just plain text for this challenge. If certain people use tinyurl/dropbox/tinypaste, it'll be obvious who wrote them. (you know who you are!)

Cyan

Banned
While I agree that it's just for fun, I also know that I sometimes want to go back to stories I like and expand on them. Knowing that hundreds if not thousands of people have seen my story and maybe copied it or whatever doesn't do much for my state of mind.

Man, you gotta be kidding. Knowing that hundreds if not thousands of people had seen my story would be awesome.

Puddles

Banned
There was a dude who agreed to look over my novel outline last year. He never replied after I sent it to him. I always thought it would be funny if he ended up copying the idea and getting a book out before mine is finished.

What's more likely is that he thought it sucked. :(

Irish

Man, you gotta be kidding. Knowing that hundreds if not thousands of people had seen my story would be awesome.

Agreed. Hell, when a challenge has 12 entries, I would be surprised if even 7 people actually read my stuff.

Ashes

Banned
One can get caught up in these games.

It's fun so I'll play along, but I just want to write a damn good story man.

Pand

Agreed. Hell, when a challenge has 12 entries, I would be surprised if even 7 people actually read my stuff.

Gah, alright, you win. I don't want to be the only one whose story isn't anonymous anyway. Just know, if it gets stolen, I'M COMING FOR YOUR ASSES. AND I'M NOT A GENTLE LOVER.

Cyan

Banned
Gah, alright, you win. I don't want to be the only one whose story isn't anonymous anyway. Just know, if it gets stolen, I'M COMING FOR YOUR ASSES. AND I'M NOT A GENTLE LOVER.

I don't think you need to change your actions so much as your mindset. Do what you will.

In any case, there are good reasons to pw-protect a story besides fear of gremlins. Publishability being the main one.

ronito

you do realize now that you have to not only bring it but bring it in a huge manner now that you've gone out and said your stories are so good that someone will steal them.

So, we all use password-protected tinypaste for this challenge, and if you're too lazy and PM normal text, then Bootaaay password-protects it in tinypaste for you? That would alleviate Pand's concerns and leave the anonymous guessing-game on a level playing field.

I mean, we all trust Bootaaay, right?

Ashes

Banned
What if we dislike reading off tinypaste?

I'm suppose I'm betting on a "pdf + password protect + dropbox" twin. :/

btw I'm sticking close to the amazon guide from a few challenges back, only text size being different.

size 14 calibri
margins equal all round, 3.5 cm
double spaced.
justified.
automatic paragraph indent. no space between paragraphs, unless big scene break.
title = bold.
password: <quote to see, if you don't know the password we all use>

that is of course, unless Bootaaay changes up stuff in between posting stuff.

Pand

you do realize now that you have to not only bring it but bring it in a huge manner now that you've gone out and said your stories are so good that someone will steal them.

Hey, I never said they were any good. Tripe gets published all the time.

So, we all use password-protected tinypaste for this challenge, and if you're too lazy and PM normal text, then Bootaaay password-protects it in tinypaste for you? That would alleviate Pand's concerns and leave the anonymous guessing-game on a level playing field.

I mean, we all trust Bootaaay, right?

I'll go with whatever the majority wants. I don't want to overly complicate things for everyone just because I have some concerns. But thanks for thinking along.

What if we dislike reading off tinypaste?

I'm suppose I'm betting on a "pdf + password protect + dropbox" twin. :/

btw I'm sticking close to the amazon guide from a few challenges back, only text size being different.

size 14 calibri
margins equal all round, 3.5 cm
double spaced.
justified.
automatic paragraph indent. no space between paragraphs, unless big scene break.
title = bold.
password: <quote to see, if you don't know the password we all use>

that is of course, unless Bootaaay changes up stuff in between posting stuff.

I'm fine with this as well. In fact, if that's the way Ashes is going to do it, I suppose we all should to keep the anonymity in place.

edit: I had some problems with password-protecting my pdf file because I only have the free version of Acrobat, and it doesn't allow you to set a password. If anyone runs into the same problem, just use PrimoPDF , it allows you to "print" the pdf to a different file and lets you set a password.

Ashes

Banned
Either is fine. I tried to be clever last time, but everyone and their mother guessed right. ;p

Just go with whatever you prefer. And it's not for sure that I'll enter either.

Edit: I convert to PDF from libre/open office. You can do it in Word too.

And I think most of us choose to use PDFs/tidypub/tinypaste/off site host, due to neogaf TOS changes. And we password protect, so as to keep the 'first publishable rights' in place as cyan said earlier.

RyuHayate

Man, I'd love to try my hand at this. I haven't written anything in years and after getting out of a bit of a rut my imagination is running again. It's a good feeling!

Man, I'd love to try my hand at this. I haven't written anything in years and after getting out of a bit of a rut my imagination is running again. It's a good feeling!

I've been revising some older things I wrote and I'm starting to get out of my rut too. I wrote something for the "Unbound" challenge and forgot to post it before the contest ended. I don't plan on missing this one. :\

Grakl

Would be cool for everyone to send just text to Bootaaay, then he could post a PDF on a dropbox that has all the stories compiled. It's a bit of work, though.

Aaron

I'm half done and might miss the deadline. The sudden switch to summer here has wrecked my blissful sleep.

Cheap plug for the new poetry thread;

NeoGAF Poetry Corner - Challenge #47: Brave New World

Cyan said:
Yeah, I'm wondering this too. I want to do the anonymity thing, but I don't want my story posted in plain text on the forum.

In that case, I'd suggest submitting as a PDF rather than using a host like tinypaste or tidypub, as it's looking like most entries will either be plain text or PDF.

Would be cool for everyone to send just text to Bootaaay, then he could post a PDF on a dropbox that has all the stories compiled. It's a bit of work, though.

That's a pretty good idea, I've already received one entry as PDF though.

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, I'm wondering this too. I want to do the anonymity thing, but I don't want my story posted in plain text on the forum.

Can't you pm him your usual link to tinypaste?

I'd say, if you are submitting, posts as is, then it is safe to presume you don't care about neogaf terms, so Bootaaay can just post as is.

If you do care, you will have either tinypaste, tidypub, or dropbox public link, and Bootaaay can just post the links.

Or am I missing something here?

edit: i.e. your pm should be how you want it to be posted on Neogaf.

4 hours left* guys, send your stories in!

well, 4 hours and then some, as it's 4AM here and I'll have to post the entries after I've got my beauty sleep :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom